Pulitzer
C
FDK goes here.

Next scheduled posting:
Saturday, Chapters 82 and 83, probably 10-11 ET [family stuff again...]

Previews

Chapter 82

~*~Clark~*~

I didn't really process what else Mom said after it started to sink in that he was gone.

One of the few constants in my life was gone.

Lois was biting her bottom lip and she looked a bit scared as she sat next to me. I couldn't make my voice work, but I found myself needing contact with her. I put an arm around her and pulled her closer to me.
Chapter 83
~*~Lois~*~

On the other side of the cemetery was a news crew from a Wichita station. Another van pulled up behind it from one of the other affiliates of a major network.

"Why are they here?" Clark whispered to me.
Thanks smile .
Carol

Kerth
Kerth
I hope you're talking 10 or 11 am, not pm (or it'd be Sunday for me)... FDK later...

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Carol, you just managed to rip me in two, FDK wise

The good:
- You really did Jack as in jack Olsen whinging

Just when they might have gotten closer dizzy

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Nooooo!!!!! Nononononono!!!!! Don't kill Jonathan!!!! eek mad wallbash splat

Ann

Kerth
Kerth
Ditto. Why does it have to be Jonathan? You watchin' too much Smallville lately? (At least I've been told that Jonathan died in that series, too.)

And giving us the end of the second part for today as a preview - how evil can you get? dizzy

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
Top Banana
Top Banana
Loved the parts. Totally missed the Jack Olsen connection.. cool! Kissing and dancing were great laugh

So who passed away? My first thought was Jonathan... but I'm leaning towards someone else (maybe Pop Pop?)... impatiently awaiting part 82.

If it's Jonathan... I have no clue what impact it might have on Lois and Clark's relationship. All Clark Kents love to internalise their emotions and so in addition to the depression and tremendous sadness, whatever progress they've made might be for nothing... or Clark might lean toward implementing what Jonathan hinted at in their last big conv... hmmm

thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Are we there yet? hyper

Hope you've had a nice Thanksgiving smile

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Well, I'm glad it wasn't Christopher who was gone. But now I'm wondering if it was Jonathan who might have died just after the dance. In the original comics timeline, Clark left Kansas for Metropolis after Jonathan died, and in the original Superman movie, Clark left home after Jonathan (played by Glenn Ford) died of a heart attack. So even though Jonathan was alive in the series, it wouldn't be much of a stretch to see him depart this life in this story.

Of course, it could be any number of other candidates. Pop Pop is a good one, simply due to age and Clark's stated relationship to him. Or maybe it's some other older male relative, although whoever it is, the man was important to Clark. And it's telling that he feels the need to reach for his wife for comfort, even if he tells himself it's because she's such a good friend.

I really liked the kiss (and both sets of thoughts and reactions) at the pitching contest. And it was interesting to listen in as Clark compared enhanced strength to precision and told himself that one didn't necessarily translate into the other. Very nice touch, Carol.

It was also very nice to see Lois and Clark playing along so easily with Pete and Rachel. I doubt they could have pulled it off before Christopher's birthday and their true confessions to each other, so this seemingly small thing is actually a big step for them. Unfortunately, neither one quite realizes it at the moment.

I wonder if Clark will cry at the funeral. If he does, will Lois comfort him? Will she bond with him over a shared and common grief? If it's Jonathan who's gone, will Lois see the depths of Clark's feelings for this man who has been such a huge role model for him for so long and realize that his loss of a father is comparable to her loss of a mother? (They're not the same - two similar losses are never the same - but it might help both of them to grow closer even so.) Are they close to lying in bed together face to face and holding each other, even if it's "just for common comfort?"

And what's with the news media at the cemetery? Who are they covering, the funeral or one of the mourners? More mystery and suspense and potential WHAMs and delayed WAFFs! Carol, you are the master (mistress?) of the cliffhanger - or as I like to call them, "reader incentives." (Where's the "bow in recognition of genius" graemlin?)

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
/waves/

Have a few minutes.

LOL! 10-11 is AM, but again, we'll have to see...

Michael's bonus points come from an email a few days ago that asked if Jack from Latislan could be Jimmy's dad.

Re the pitching match:

I wanted Clark to win Lois the bear but without using his powers but didn't want to introduce Kryptonite into the situation. I didn't think there was a useless trivia booth anywhere wink . Nancy and I tossed around some ideas and I Google'd 'carnival games' or something like that and found the pitching booth idea.

Carol [who ignores any questions about who 'he' is]

M
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
M
You write great cliffhangers! Keep it up!

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Your last preview truly was evil! More feedback hopefully tomorrow when I get a chance to re-read these past few chapters with the proper attention necessary.

I don't think you'd be so cruel as to kill Jonathan off. Maybe Pop Pop? But, then you do leave us with evil cliffhangers, and tempt us with evil previews, so I suppose anything goes.

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Well, I think it WAS Jonathan. I don't think any other male would affect Clark that way.

As far as Christopher goes, I have to admit (drags feet, here)it is nice that Clark is admitting the possiblity that Christopher could be his, biologically.
As far as refering to Christopher as "his" though, I still don't see it as a big deal. He acts like Chistopher's dad, Christopher calls him "Dada", and he loves him like his son. Doesn't that fit the definition of a father? Once again, I will remind you that Jonathan is not Clark's biological father in canon or this story. Would anyone think it was werid for Jonathan to call Clark his son?

The kiss was nice, I admit that to.

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
But, surely if Chris was Clark's son, they would have noticed something unusual about Chris' biology after nearly a year and a half worth of doctor baby check-ups? In the absence of anything peculiar, Clark should be able to rule out Chris being biologically his. I can't imagine Kryptonian genes being slow active enough so that all doctor exams up to this point would be have ruled out anything unusual.

I agree that for this Clark it shouldn't matter, but I think Clark is working on a pretty safe assumption that Chris is not biologically his.

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
As usual, these were another wonderful pair of chapters. I really liked the Corn Festival scenes, especially the pitching contest and the kiss. help

Is it Saturday yet?

~Mel~
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Is it too late to start OTOHAA - On the Other Hand Addicts Anonymous? I think that there are many of us that will qualify for membership!
Melray, check out this thread in the FanFic Related folder. The meetings are going on pretty much all the time. You can join any time. I'm not sure what the steps are, or even how many of them there are, but maybe others have more information.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ohmygod you killed Jonathan! Well I have to admit, I'm glad Chris wasn't kidnapped; that was my main guess. But still, some member of Clark's family had to croak off...and for now, I guess we're all assuming it was Jonathan. frown frown

Um, minus the complete tragedy at the end, great parts! It was really cute to see Lois and Clark just hanging out, you know. Having time to be friends and just build on that.
Time to put my smashed self to bed; looking forward to more!
JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Wow!

First I just want to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving weekend. I may not have been able to give fdk as much as I would have liked over the past few days, but I have been reading--daily. The past few days have been extremely busy for me so I can only imagine how busy it's been for you, Carol. And *still* you spoiled us with wonderful updates. Thank you!

Now--the latest chapters: I think it's Jonathan, but would be happy to be proven wrong. It seems like the heat is being turned up. That news crew scares me. It either means that Lois and Clark's story has leaked, or the story will leak after they are featured on the news. Neither option gives the impression that peace is in the near future.

The way you threw it at us was brilliant. We were all lulled into being comfortable with a certain underlying state of panic (like living at a threat level of orange for years). I was basking in the Corn Festival (where we didn't get to interact with Jonathan, btw), the Clarkie Bear, the kiss, the family dance, the temple to chin snug fit, and then the floor dropped out. I can empathize with the shock Clark is feeling to know that someone close to him is gone. I'm convinced it was Jonathan now. If it were Pop-Pop, somehow I think Jonathan would have called. And (unfortunately) the death of Jonathan does have a certain historical precedence, as has been mentioned.

Something else that just clicked for me: there were pictures taken of the family dance--pictures that probably made it to Navance's desk. Evil Dictator Man now knows where they are... /shudders/

Another point of interest: a seed has been planted about the potential of Chris being biologically his. Of course, as is characteristic of him, he pushes the thought aside. I don't think that this will come up in his head anytime soon given the current crisis, but the idea may take root. If Jonathan is the unfortunate party, it might serve to cement that last talk he and Clark had in stone--not that he and Clark hadn't spoken since then, but it's significance may be heightened. I was a little peaved at Clark for his defensiveness during that convo. It was one of those two steps back moments. I don't think it was JK's intent to ask Clark to sleep with his wife. The mental affair warning was on target and needed to be addressed. Commitment is more than just a physical thing. I'm sure Ann could tell us the significance of the Joyful Giver vs the Giver wink

Thanks again and see you tomorrow!
~s

October Sands, An Urban Fairy Tale featuring Lois and Clark
"Elastigirl? You married Elastigirl? (sees the kids) And got bizzay!" -- Syndrome, The Incredibles
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Ohhhhh. Carol, I absolutely adored these two chapters. Well, at least until the end. I hate deaths... mecry Please don't let it be Jonathan, please?

The kiss was great, Clark starting to think that there could be a slight chance that Christopher might be his biological child after all was great. But my favorite part was their dancing together. I hope there will be pictures (not for Navance) but for Lois and Clark. Maybe after seeing it they will realize how much they are meant to be together.

The whole open adoption thing is wonderful too btw!

Is it time yet for more?
Natascha (getting tissues ready just in case)

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Two more hours. hyper And did I mention that Lois naming the bear Clarkie was a really nice touch. If they weren't so cute I'd whack them over the head. Might still do it, if they won't shape up soon. I mean, three more years. You can't be serious, huh? Oh, and is it just me, or are you wrapping up year two in about 20 parts or so?

Michael

PS: Two more hours. Thought I bring it up again.

Features Writer
Features Writer
hyper hyper hyper I'm just waiting. I'm just waiting. Lol (sorry watching nemo again)

I will and always be a big fan of Lois and Clark forever and forever.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard