Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Lieta Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
I liked it... the dinner scene was fun =) If you wanted to shorten it though I might just have Clark bring slightly less food... so you still get all the interplay but there just isn't as much to discuss... it would have been fun for him to bring something like fried scorpions though =P

Sara "Lieta"
M
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
M
I like the dinner scene. Keep it as is.

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
That's a really sweet part. I liked all of it!

When your story is at its cosiest, I just want to snuggle up inside and bask in it as if I was before a fire. I mean it.

Sometimes everything is not peachy, though. I thought it was really believable that Clark would be embarrassed when Chad asked so much about his superpowers. Interestingly, I can totally sympathize with Chad's curiosity, but I feel equally strongly for Clark's need for privacy.

I'm sorry we won't be seeing more of this fic for a week or so, but I'm looking forward to the return of it!

Ann

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Agree with Meadowrose. Keep the dinner scene as it is. I like how you've given Chad the curiosity (I would be all over Clark too) and how it makes Clark a little nervous and uncomfortable.

Chad is being kind of pushy here. Lois is just accepting. Shows how Lois and Clark are meant to be together. Lois has to dump that Chad.

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Loved the chapter.

The dinner scene was good as written. I was a bit surprised to see that Lois/Chad had never heard of sushi before, but I'm guessing that this story takes place before sushi really hit it big in North America.

After the revelation to Chad, I was thinking that Clark may actually avoid Lois/Chad. Clark is so nervous about his secret, that I thought he would do the avoidance thing. It was nice to see him be brave and face Chad after the revelation, but totally in character to see him bolt through the door when the questions got too tough.

As a doctor, I can understand Chad's questions and curiosity, and I didn't think it more than harmless curiosity. I'm thinking that Clark may do the avoidance thing now after seeing Chad's curiosity though. Clark has the "dissect like a frog" fear so ingrained in him.

Can't wait till the next installment! Enjoy your holidays and post soon. Monday is so far away!

A
Features Writer
Features Writer
A
I'm so glad you all liked the dinner scene. I really couldn't decide what to cut!

Sara and Meadowrose - Thanks!

Ann - Your feedback both makes me feel good and cringe. It won't be all cozy all the way through. You may be pretty upset with me for awhile.

IolantheAlias - Really? Dump Chad? But I like him. mecry I think you'll see that Chad doesn't mean to be pushy - he's just really curious.

grinch - I actually meant to put a note about the sushi thing. This is 1994 so long before sushi was popular in the U.S. My first date with my husband was in 1994 and to a Japanese restaurant and there was definitely no sushi on the menu. We had chicken katsu which seemed very exotic at the time (as we had limited experience with Japanese food), but it was just a fried chicken breast with a sauce. Nothing nearly as out there as sushi would have seemed.

Given that we lived near New York city, I'm guessing if sushi wasn't popular there, there weren't too many places in the US where it was (I'd expect that it might have been popular in Little Tokyo back then, so maybe more people in LA would have known about it).

Glad that Chad's curiosity felt true to you.

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Is it December 1st yet? help

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Looks like I really managed to read this just at the right time, what with Dec. 1st coming up and stuff.

The food-scene is fine as it is, I think. I'm just a bit surprised that sushi is so unknown in 1993. I always figured it was already known in the eighties. huh Also, the tuna and salmon being icki-thing was a bit surprising, given how these two are fish that you don't have to cook even in western cuisine.

So, now I wonder where this is going.

Michael

Edit: I checked wiki : At least some forms of sushi had been popular since the '80s blush But then, this is a universe where Luthor is a good guy, so huh

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
A
Features Writer
Features Writer
A
Hmmm... the wiki says that California roll was popular in the 1980s and that sushi popularity spread from there. California roll is pretty tame sushi, though, given that it doesn't contain raw fish. I'm not sure how long it took before sushi was really popular.

I guess my memory of discovering it was in San Diego - both closer to LA where the wiki confirms my suspicion that sushi popularity started, but also a few years after 1993. I moved to San Diego in 1996 and certainly by the time I left in 2001 sushi was not only popular there but back in NY as well. I'm pretty sure it wasn't that popular in NY when I left though. Which isn't to say there weren't sushi restaurants, but not like today (there are currently 8 sushi restaurants within short walking distance of where I work in Manhattan and I'm guessing there are lots more I don't know about).

As for the tuna/salmon thing, my feeling is that not cooking them (or searing them as is commonly done in Western cooking now) was not popular until sushi became popular. But I couldn't be wrong about that. I didn't like fish until sometime when I was in college and so didn't spend too much time looking to see how it was prepared in restaurants.

But even if I'm wrong on both counts, I'll use your out, Michael. This is a different universe. No reality need apply. wink

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I was thinking about smoked salmon (which isn't the same as being raw, of course smile ) and canned tuna in oil. No idea how that's prepared. huh

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
A
Features Writer
Features Writer
A
Hmmm.... good points.

I have to say, maybe this is just me, but I grew up eating smoked salmon (only fish I liked besides canned tuna) and it seemed very different than raw fish to me.

Canned tuna is cooked before it's canned, so definitely different. I think canned salmon is as well, although not being a fan of canned salmon, I'm not 100% sure.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard