Thanks as always to Beth and Carol!!

This is the last chapter that is adapted from Triangle. I promise the next chapter is all original stuff.

From Chapter 1

“Lois,” he said, pulling away. “I mean it; I would never break up with you without letting you know. I promise. I mean, who would do that?” I stared at the couch cushions in silence, and Chad asked, “You didn't date someone else who did that to you, did you? I thought I was your first boyfriend.”

“You are,” I said softly, afraid to tell him the truth - that it was my father who had taught me this. I knew, though, that like my mother's drinking, I'd have to tell him.

“So who…?”

“No one, really,” I admitted with a sigh, still staring at the couch. “It's just…when my dad left he didn't say goodbye to us. He just left. And he told my mom that he could leave whenever he wanted, he didn't need to give her any warning. That she needed him, but he didn't need her. I heard him.”

“Well,” Chad said softly, “I don't know what your dad was like, but I promise I won't do that.”

“You've never broken up with a girl without telling her?” I asked, just to be sure.

Chad blushed. “Well, no, but… I mean… you're my first girlfriend, so…”

I smiled. I was his first girlfriend. I'm not sure why that made me so happy, but it did. “But you won't do that. You promise?”

“Absolutely,” he whispered, before he leaned in to kiss me again.

Chapter 2

June 1984

Encased in Chad's arms, I swayed slowly to the music coming over the
speakers. Some of the other juniors had complained that it was not fair that our prom was taking place in the school gym, but we didn't care. It was a chance to be together, so we knew we would have fun.

Chad buried his face in my neck. “I love this perfume,” he whispered in my ear.

“I know,” I smiled at him. “That's why I wore it.” It was his favorite, along with the red I had chosen for my dress.

Chad kissed my neck lightly, causing me to tense up in anticipation, before backing away. “Lois,” he said softly, so softly I couldn't hear him over the music, I could only read his lips.

“Hmmm?” I responded absently, still wondering why he was so far away.

“I love you,” he said, again so softly I couldn't hear him. I stopped moving. I must have misread his lips. He did not just tell me that he loved me. He couldn't have.

“What?” I asked in an attempt to clarify things.

He leaned forward to place his lips right next to my ear. This time there was no mistake. “I love you.”

Almost of its own accord, I felt a smile break over my face. “I love you, too,” I said in reply, knowing it was true.

October 1984

“What are you two doing?” Lucy asked. Now that Lucy was a freshman, she was on the same schedule as me, and we often went to Chad's house after school to study.

I wasn't sure what Chad had told his parents about my mother, but they never seemed to mind having us over, and often invited us to stay for dinner. Lucy and I usually accepted. It wasn't like Mom even noticed if we were home (although on her worst nights she would forget that it was not actually my responsibility to make us dinner and get angry that it was not done).

It was early now, though, and so while the Andrews had told us we could stay for dinner tonight, we were still in the living room studying before dinner. Or at least, Lucy was studying.

“We're talking,” I explained in response to Lucy's question, and Lucy rolled her eyes.

“I know that,” Lucy said. “I thought we were studying, but you two are making too much noise.”

“Sorry, Luce,” Chad said. “We are studying, sort of. Lois and I need to start working on college applications and we're trying to decide where to apply.”

“Oh, right,” Lucy said, sounding vaguely depressed.

“Met U is our first choice, Lucy,” I said quietly, trying to reassure her. I knew how I would be feeling if I was her.

“It is?” Lucy asked, trying to contain her excitement.

“Well, it has both a great journalism department and premed program,” Chad said. “And of course, it's near you.”

Lucy smiled, but the smile disappeared quickly. “But you're not going to still want to live at home, are you?” she said to me.

“No,” I sighed, but before I could explain to her what I was thinking, she cut me off.

“What are you going to do?”

Chad smiled, “We're going to get an apartment off campus,” he said, reaching over to give my hand a squeeze.

“Oh, right,” Lucy said, eyeing us carefully.

“Not for that!” I said, giving Chad a look. We had discussed it before. Given the lack of parental supervision Lucy and I got, I wanted to set a good example for Lucy. Anyway, Chad had said he didn't want to have sex yet. We were too young and if something were to happen, he couldn't really support us yet. So, we were waiting, and I wanted to make sure Lucy knew we were waiting so that she would think twice about sleeping with any boyfriends she had in the near future.

“I told you, Luce. We don't do that,” I said quietly, so Chad's parents could not hear. “We'll be sleeping in separate bedrooms.”

“Oh,” Lucy said again.

Chad smiled at Lucy. “We think it shouldn't be too hard to find a two bedroom apartment someplace on the bus route to the high school so you could live with us and still get to school.”

Lucy's face broke out in a smile as she asked, “You want me to live with you?”

I nodded, smiling as well. “Well, we'd need to share a bedroom, but yeah.”

“But how will you guys get to school?” Lucy asked. “And how are you going to afford an apartment?”

“Damien is graduating from college this year,” Chad started, referring to his eldest brother. “He bought a car last year, but he said now that he'll have a real job, he wants a new car, so he's going to give me his old one and Lois and I can share.”

“And Chad's parents are going to give him the money they would have spent for him to live in the dorms for the apartment,” I explained.

“Is that enough for a two bedroom place?” Lucy asked.

“No,” I shook my head. “I'm going to ask Dad for the rest.”

“You are?” Lucy was shocked. It wasn't surprising she was shocked - we almost never talked to him.

I shrugged my shoulders. “I'm going to have to ask him for money anyway for college. The way I see it, he owes us. He's the one that left us with mom all these years.”

Lucy nodded, looking sad. “You think he'll say yes?”

I shrugged, again, “I don't know, but we'll think of something else if he doesn't.”

“What if one of you doesn't get in to Met U?” Lucy asked. “Like if you don't get in,” she looked at Chad. “What will you do?” she asked me.

I looked at the couch cushion carefully, pulling at a piece of lint.

“We're not going to college without each other,” I finally told Lucy quietly. “I'm sorry, Lucy. And really,” I said, looking up at Lucy, “it's not going to be an issue. I mean, Chad is graduating salutatorian and I'm currently ranked fifth. And our SAT scores are good. We're shoe-ins for Met U.”

Lucy nodded, agreeing, but still worried. “But if for some reason Chad doesn't get in and you do, you won't go?” she clarified.

“No,” I said quietly while Chad took my hand. “I mean, I promise, we're only looking at schools nearby – somewhere where you could live with us, even if you have to take city buses to school, but we really want to go someplace together.”

“Are you guys engaged or something?” Lucy asked suspiciously.

“No,” Chad said. “Or at least not really.”

“Not really?” Lucy asked.

“Well, we are kind of thinking that we'll get married some day,” I said.

“But not until after college,” Chad added.

“Okay,” Lucy said, and then went back to thinking about the college choices. “And you really won't go anywhere I can't live with you?”

“No. I promise,” I said, hoping that she'd be excited at the idea of moving out.

Lucy frowned, “But you guys are gonna have things to do at night, aren't you? Even if I stay with you, I'll be home alone at night.”

“Nonsense,” came the voice of Mrs. Andrews behind us. “You'll need to come over all the time, Lucy. With Chad being the last of our boys off to college, this place is going to feel empty. So, you'll need to come for dinner and keep us company whenever Lois and Chad are busy.”

“Really?” Lucy asked.

“Yes. Now get washed up. All of you. Dinner's ready,” she said.

As Lucy raced to the bathroom, I pulled gently on Chad's hand to hold him back.

“They know about Mom, don't they?” I asked, deciding to give him a chance to explain.

Chad flushed. “I didn't tell them, Lois. I swear. But Dad sort of ran into your mom a few months ago on his day off.”

“And they don't care?” I asked, surprised.

“Don't care about what?”

“That you're dating me?” I asked quietly. Surely he saw the problem. I mean who would want their son to date someone whose mother was a drunk?

“Of course not, Lois. You are not your mother. I know that. My parents know that. Why would they care? What's important to them is that you make me happy,” he said.

“I do?” I asked, although I kind of knew that I did.

“Yes, you do,” he said, leaning forward to kiss me on the nose.

“Didn't I suggest you two clean up for dinner?” Mrs. Andrews asked.

“Sorry,” I blushed, embarrassed at having been caught, but Mrs. Andrews just laughed.

“It's okay. It's probably hard to believe, but Mr. Andrews and I were young once, too.”

January 1984

“Come on. I know you two are the shyest couple in school, but this is ridiculous,” Samantha, the yearbook photographer, said.

“Sorry,” Chad said, blushing, “but it's hard to kiss in front of the camera.”

“You don't need to make out or anything,” Samantha said. “Just press your lips together. I just need one picture of you kissing.”

I flushed, but leaned towards Chad and we gave each other a chaste kiss on the lips.

“Perfect,” Samantha said a second later. “Now. Do something goofy.”

“Goofy?” I asked, wondering what she meant.

“Yes, goofy. Something silly and cute,” Samantha instructed.

“Something silly and cute?” Chad repeated.

Samantha sighed. “The senior class voted you cutest couple. You need to pose doing something cute for the yearbook picture.”

“Like what?” I asked.

“I don't know,” Samantha said. “Maybe stick your tongues out at each other. Give each other noogies. Something like that.”

“Or maybe…” Chad started, reaching his fingers out to tickle my stomach.

“Hey!” I said, between giggles. “Stop that!” I tried batting his hands away, but I was ineffective, I was laughing so hard. It wasn't fair. He knew my ticklish spots. “Come on, Chad,” I said breathlessly. “We're trying…”

“Got it!” Samantha cried. “That was perfect.”

I glared at Chad. “Our picture is going to have you tickling me!” I accused him.

“Yup,” he said, laughing at me.

“I can't believe…” but my words faded off as Chad started tickling me again.

April 1985

“I'm sorry, Lois,” Chad said, his voice soft. “But it's only for a semester. Really. I'll be right behind you.”

“But it's not what we planned,” I said, tears streaming down my face.

“I know, baby. And I'm so sorry. You know that I want nothing more than to come with you.”

“I know,” I sniffled, embarrassed about crying. “I know you have to do this.”

“I'll come home whenever I can,” he said, his voice soft, his hand grasping mine tightly. “And you can come visit. Grandma said it's okay.”

“Really?” I asked.

“Yeah, she said that as long as we don't sleep in the same room, she's okay with you coming for a visit. I mean, I know you'll be busy with classes and all, but you can visit during one of the breaks.”

I smiled, but even I could feel that my smile was weak. “So, we'll see each other at least a few times.”

“Yes,” he said softly as he pulled me closer to hold me tightly to him. “I'm going to miss you so much, Lois,” he whispered into my hair.

“Me, too,” I whispered back trying to memorize the feel of his arms around me.

August 1985

“Well,” Chad said, leaning against the small table I had bought for the dining area. “I think this is it.”

I nodded, looking around. The place was Spartan, but it had all the essentials. Most importantly, though, it was someplace we could afford even without Chad's parents contribution, so we would not need to move when he got back. And for now, Lucy and I had our own rooms.

Lucy came out from her bedroom, looking exceedingly pleased. “It's perfect,” she said. “I can't believe Dad's paying for this.”

I shrugged, “He knows he owes us,” I said simply. Those were the words that I had used with Dad on the phone. He had not replied, but had agreed to send us the money I requested.

Lucy sat down on the couch we had picked up at a garage sale and looked around the apartment with a smile on her face. On her second circuit, though, she caught sight of my face and realized what she was interrupting.

“Well, I'm going to go organize my books,” she said as she moved to stand up. “Don't leave without saying goodbye, Chad.”

“So…” I said, taking the seat Lucy had just abandoned, feeling nervous.

“So,” Chad replied in kind, sitting down beside me.

“When's your flight?” I asked quietly, mostly just for something to say as I knew his flight schedule better than he did.

“In the morning at eight. I'll get to Grandma and Grandpa's about noon.”

I reached out to take his hand in mine. “I'm proud of you,” I told him, squeezing his hand. “I know you don't want to do this anymore than I want you to go, but you're doing it anyway. It makes me feel proud to be your girlfriend.”

Chad pulled me towards him, wrapping his arms around me tightly. “I'm hoping it's a false alarm and Grandpa will be fine in a few days. The admission office said as long as I can start within the first two weeks, it's not a problem.”

“That's not likely to happen, though, is it?” I asked all ready knowing the answer.

“No,” Chad admitted. “It sounds like the doctors are pretty sure that Grandpa is not going to get better. And since Grandma can't take care of him on her own, and they can't afford to hire a nurse…”

I smiled, although I doubted it reached my eyes, “Chad to the rescue. A modern day superhero.”

Chad smiled at me, “I'll spin you webs, if you'll be my Mary Jane.” He leaned forward to kiss me softly. “I'll see you in a month,” he whispered.

I nodded as I felt the tears start to leak out of my eyes. “And we'll talk tomorrow night?”

“Of course,” he said, tears falling down his cheeks, too. “I want to hear all about your first day.”

“I love you,” I whispered against his lips, the taste of our tears mingled with the kiss.

“I love you, too, Lois. So much.”

September 1985

“Has it really only been a month?” I asked between kisses, feeling and sounding breathless.

“No idea. I stopped looking at a calendar after day two. It just… the days were so long,” he said in reply, sounding as breathless as I had.

“Just stay here,” I said, pulling him to me more tightly. “Don't go back. Don't go anywhere. Just stay here forever.”

I could feel Chad smile against my neck before he kissed me there again, moving to dart his tongue into the hollow of my throat. I suppressed a groan. “If you stay here with me, that won't be a problem.”

Neither of us said anything for a few more minutes, until I softly said, “Let's not wait anymore, Chad.”

“Hmmm?” he asked, his mouth now on my ear.

“Make love to me,” I whispered.

“Really?” Chad breathed into my ear.

“Really.”

Chad leaned up to pull his shirt over his head quickly before moving back to capture my lips again. “Lois,” he whispered reverently as his hands made their way to the buttons on my blouse.

A second later, two buttons undone, he backed away and stood up. “We can't do this,” he said, his tone repentant and pained.

“What?” I asked, confused by the fact that he was suddenly standing by the side of the bed.

“We promised we wouldn't do this. We would never make this decision in the heat of the moment. If we want to revisit the decision that's fine, but only when we're both clear headed,” he leaned over to hold the top of my blouse closed, “and fully clothed.”

I buttoned my blouse back up, but looked at him with wide eyes. “That was before…”

“I know, baby,” Chad, with his shirt back on, said as he sat back on the bed. “But nothing's really changed.”

I started to argue, but then realized he was right. Nothing had changed. “I know,” I finally said, leaning my head on his shoulder. “I know.”