Here's part 2:

From part 1:

What was he going to do about Deter?

A young brunette stuck her head in the door. "Clark, here's the research you asked for."

Clark took it from her. "Thanks, Sarah." He didn't notice her appreciative look up and down his body. He looked up from the folder. Deter had arrived and was chatting amiably with Lois, Sam and Perry. He sighed. It was time to make his presence known.

He hung around the background unable to play kissy-poo with Deter. He knew if that guy said the wrong thing...

Perry snapped him out of his reverie. "Clark, why don't you and Lois go out for lunch and talk about some of the stories you've got going and see what she thinks would help her get back in the sing of things."

"Sure, Chief. Sounds good." And now he could get her away from the creep.

Part 2

Clark growled as they left Missy's Mid-day Munchies – a little restaurant near the Planet that specialized in quick lunches for business people on the go. Perry had suggested they go out for lunch to make some plans to get Lois 'back in the swing of things' but Deter had insisted on going with them so they hadn't had a chance to really talk. Missy, a long time fan of Lois and Clark – and Superman, for that matter – had almost said something about their previously pending nuptials. Unfortunately, Deter had interrupted her.

Lois sighed. "That was... long, but pointless. We didn't decide on anything that would be good for me to do."

Clark mumbled under his breath. "Well, I had plenty of ideas, but someone didn't like any of them." Then louder. "Where to next?"

Deter chimed in. "I have a thought on that."

Clark glared at him. "Oh, joy..."

Deter stopped next to his car. "Lois, I want you to come with me. Clark can drive your car back to the Planet. This little field test is over."

"Max, I'm fine."

"No, you're not, but you will be..."

Clark watched as Deter placed a gentle hand on her cheek. Enough was enough. Only he was allowed to touch her like that!

"... if you listen to me."

Clark swung Deter around by his shoulder. "Okay, that's it Deter. Back it up!"

"Clark, I'm not going to keep having this conversation with you."

"That's right, because this conversation is over. I want Lois to see another doctor."

"What?"

"I want a second opinion."

Deter raised an eyebrow at him. "*You* want? I'm sorry, do you own this woman?"

"No, but neither do you."

"So what gives you the right to decide what's best for her? Her father is her next of kin and he..."

"No, Deter," Clark could barely spit out the name. "He's not. I am."

"Excuse me?" Deter scowled at Clark as his cell phone pulled him away from the conversation.

Clark turned to Lois and reiterated what he'd just said. "I'm your next of kin."

Lois glared at him. "I don't know what you're talking about, Clark, but my father thinks Max is the best thing for me and I trust him. The state doesn't trust me to make my own decisions yet, but if I did, I'd trust my dad."

"Lois, you haven't trusted your dad since you were 12."

Lois rolled her eyes. "Of course you're going to say that. You don't trust Max and my dad does. And even if I don't trust my dad, I trust Perry don't I?"

"What about your husband? Would you trust him?"

Lois turned to look him square in the eyes. "If 'm married then where is my..." she spit the next word. "... husband? Why hasn't he come to visit me? And why has my dad been making the decisions? Surely the courts would have my..." More spittting. "... husband do it?" She glared at him. "*If* I was really married that is."

Clark tugged gently at her elbow and led a reluctant Lois along the sidewalk. "I couldn't prove it until this morning." He ran a hand through his hair. "It's a long story, Lois, but in a nutshell, you're married." He pointed a finger to himself and then to her. "*We're* married."

Lois stopped in her tracks. "What?"

"Like I said, long story. Lex Luthor switched you with a clone so we couldn't get married and through a series of events, you were hit on the head, twice. The first time you forgot who you were and the second time is where your memory starts now. The clone, who I thought was you for a while, left me a note before she died saying that the switch didn't take place until *after* you signed the marriage license. In New Troy, that makes us legally married. I had a handwriting expert and fingerprint analyst verify it. We're legally married."

He turned to face her, saddened by the shocked look on her face. One hand reached to gently cradle her cheek. "I know it's a lot to take in, and I know it's not what you think you want right now, and this certainly isn't the reaction I wanted when I told you, but it's the honest truth.

"I know you, Lois, better than anyone, and I know that you don't like it when people tiptoe around you and hide things from you. I know you think you love Deter, but I don't trust him." He let out a deep breath. "Aren't you going to say something?"

"I don't know what to say, Clark." She turned and started walking slowly down the sidewalk. "I hardly know you, but we're married?" The disbelief was evident in her voice.

"Yeah."

"And you don't trust the man that I love?"

"That's just it, Lois. I don't think you really love him, and I think he's taking advantage of your vulnerable state." He inhaled deeply. "And as your husband, I'm your next of kin, and I have to do what I think is best for you." He stopped and turned her to face him. "I know you don’t remember it now, but the fact that you signed that marriage license has to mean something to you. Can you please trust me?"

"How do I know you didn't make me sign it? How do I know we were really in love and that I wasn't desperate or something?"

"Ask anyone. Perry, Jimmy, my folks, your folks..."

"Then why didn’t your parents come to see me?"

"Deter wouldn't let them."

"I find that hard to believe, Clark." The edge in her voice showed a touch of the old Lois. "And why didn't you come see me more often?"

"Deter..."

Lois was working herself into a full rant. "I mean, if you're really my husband, which I have serious doubts about, then why didn't you come see me more often? Why didn't you tell me?"

"Deter..."

"I find it hard to believe that a man I would be willing to marry would be such a wimp and let a doctor push him around. Superman came to see me more than you did!"

"Lois..."

"Flowers would have been nice."

"Deter..."

She turned to face him. "And if we're married..." She stuck her left hand in his face. "... where's my ring?!"

"The clone..."

"You have an excuse for everything, don't you?"

"If you'd just listen to me for a minute..."

"I think she's listened to you enough, Clark." A third voice entered the conversation.

Clark turned to face the intruder. "You listen to me, Deter. I'm her husband. We were legally married two weeks ago and I've decided that I want her to see another doctor."

"I don't believe you. If you were married, you would have said something a long time ago."

Clark reached into his pocket and pulled out a piece of paper. "I went to see the judge in charge of Lois' case yesterday. He said if I could prove I was her husband, he'd grant me legal guardianship. I sent the paperwork over this morning." He shoved it under Deter's nose. "Read it closely, Deter. It says that I get to make decisions regarding her care until they determine if she's fit to do so."

Deter took the piece of paper. "We'll see about this."

Lois moved to his side, her hand gripping his arm. "What does it say, Max?"

Deter sighed. "It says that Clark is legally your next of kin and that he has the power to make decisions regarding your care until the hearing next week." He patted her hand gently. "You have to go with him now, Lois. I have a meeting with a patient that I can't get out of. But we'll find a way to fight this if that's what you want. Only *you* should be allowed to make decisions about your care, but I can't break the law, any more than Superman can."

A tear ran down Lois' cheek.

Max gently removed her hand from his arm. "Clark can make you see another doctor, Clark can change things in midstream and interfere with your recovery." He wiped the tear off her face. "Clark..."

Clark stepped between the two. "That's enough, Deter. Get your hands off my wife or I'll have your license."

The whimper in Lois' voice broke Clark's heart. "Max..."

"Go, Deter."

Deter looked into Lois' eyes, then sadly turned to walk away.

Clark turned his attention back to Lois, only to find her halfway down the block.

He sighed and took off after her, knowing he could catch her at any moment if he wanted to. At the end of the street, his long strides caught up with her shorter ones.

He gently grabbed her shoulders. "Lois..."

She wrenched away from him. "Don't touch me," she hissed, as she swiped at the hot tears running down her cheeks.

"Lois..."

"I don't care what you think is best, Clark. You just sent away the man I love and I want nothing to do with you." She started to walk off. "Ever."

Clark stuck his hands in the pockets of his pants and hung his head as she walked away. He knew Lois even if she didn't know herself very well yet and he knew that he'd made a big mistake confronting Lois and Deter like he had, but he also knew that the best thing for her was to get her away from that slime.

Now all he had to do was convince her of that.

Clark followed Lois and hovered, keeping a close eye on her as she went to the gym. He watched silently as she viciously attacked the heavy punching bag. His sensitive hearing could pick up her mutterings. She was obviously upset and Clark could only be glad that she was taking out her frustrations on the bag rather than his invulnerable hide. He winced as a roundhouse kick landed squarely where his chest would be.

Finally, she appeared exhausted and she walked away from the bag, but only after one final kick and then a brutal shove as it swung back towards her. He watched the entrance to the women's locker room waiting for her to come back out. Half an hour later she emerged, bundled up against the February chill. He followed from high above as she stopped at a newsstand and picked up some Double Fudge Crunch Bars. Not a good sign. She also stopped at a hot dog cart and bought a Mango Madness Snapple – her favorite.

He was disappointed when she headed back to the hospital, but he supposed it made sense. It was the only home she'd known, well, for as long as she could remember. He watched as she locked her door and threw herself on the bed. It broke his heart to see her crying but he couldn’t go to her, not yet. He made sure that Deter was with a patient, and a quick glance at the schedule on the desk confirmed that Deter's afternoon was completely booked with patients – none of whom were named Lois Lane - Clark flew to the courthouse.

He returned as quickly as he could, but at least half an hour had passed. The first place he checked was Lois' room. His heart stopped as he saw that the room was empty.

His worst fears were confirmed when she entered Deter's office. He could barely stand to watch as she threw herself into another man's arms and kissed him hungrily.

Visions of Deter flying headlong off a cliff flitted through his mind, but Superman couldn't do such things. His super hearing zoned in on the conversation taking place below.

~Max...~

~Lois...~

~He says he's my husband, Max.~

~So does the judge, darling.~

~What are we going to do?~

He fought the urge to fly down there and whisk Lois away, wipe her tears and then kiss her senseless. Surely that would bring back her memory, wouldn't it? He'd give Deter one more chance to redeem himself

~Lois, the best thing we can do is get your memory back and then there won't be a need for a guardian and we can do whatever we want. You can divorce that scum, or annul the marriage or have it declared illegal or something and we can be together.~

~You're right. That's got to be the best way to get him off my back.~ Clark saw her rest her hands on his chest. ~What can we do?~

~I could hypnotize you. Bring back your memory that way.~

He saw Lois nod slowly. ~Okay. Let's do it.~

A few minutes later, Lois was under hypnosis.

~Deeper. Down you go. Everything's calm. Everything's quiet. There's no confusion here. How do you feel?~

~All right.~

~You're almost there... You're drifting... I want you to find yourself in a calm, quiet place. Hearing only the sound of my voice. That's good. Now listen very carefully. The idea that you're married to Clark is ludicrous to you. Forget all of the things you used to love – Clark, the Planet – it's time to move on.~

What was he doing?! Deter was brainwashing Lois!!

Clark flew down to a nearby deserted area, changing clothes as he rushed to the hospital, all the time keeping his hearing attuned to what went on in that office.

~Move on.~

~You know only one truth now. You love only me.~

~Only you.~

Clark burst into the office. "That's enough, Deter. You were told explicitly not to see her anymore and now you're brainwashing her?"

Lois had snapped out of her trance. "What are you talking about, Clark? I love Max, not you. Now leave me alone and get out of here!"

"I can't do that, Lois. And Deter can't do what he's been trying to do. He's legally bound to not see you anymore."

Lois pushed Clark away from Deter. "Not professionally maybe, but he can certainly see me personally."

A nurse interrupted the conversation. "Dr. Deter, this just came for you."

He took the piece of paper from her hand and opened it. "You're a no good piece of trash, Kent."

Lois moved to his side. "What is it, Max?"

He handed it to her while staring at Clark. "It's from the judge. You're being removed from the hospital and my care and if I come within 100 feet of you, I'll be held in contempt."

TBC