C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
FDK goes here.

Posting schedule [ET]:

Wednesday: Chapters 42 and 43, either before 9am or between 4-6pm or after 10pm [sorry frown that kind of day tomorrow]

Friday: Chapters 44 and 45, 4-5pm

Sunday: Chapters 46 and 47, after 3pm

Tuesday: Chapters 48 and 49, between 1 and 4pm most likely

Saturday: Chapters 50 and 51, 10-11am

Thanks!
Carol

L
Columnist
Columnist
L
Very nice chapters... I especially liked Martha's talk with Clark to shake him out of his passivity, =)

However... Spring Break should be quite the interesting experience.

Sara "Lieta"
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I felt like slapping Clark when he said he wasn't planning on telling Lois. I know he doesn't see this as a real marriage, but whatever happened to "we need to talk to eachother or it's going to be a long five years?" All things aside, how does he plan on keeping that a secret for five years?

I undestand that Martha and Johnathan are still upset and disappointed with Clark. From their perspective, he's being an irresponisble 18 year old. And I also know that I don't know everything about this universe. But I still feel like he's been treated unfairly. And I guess I think Martha and Johnathan should know their son better than that.

Keep it coming.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
How can Clark plan on not telling Lois the truth? razz They'll be married for five years at least. It's a very long time to hide his secret. I'm glad Martha and Jonathan are pushing him into telling Lois the truth. I hope he'll do it in Smallville. dizzy Poor Lois. But I'm looking forward to their time in Smallville. Their stay should be interesting, specially Lois getting to know Martha. wink And maybe Lois could have a light exposure to Kryptonite... nothing serious, just to make the paternity known. evil Boy, I'd love to see Clark's reaction. devil

Andreia

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
Merriwether
Merriwether
I can see why Clark doesn't see the need to tell Lois. After all, it's not like he's performing rescues. But eventually, he may float in his sleep. But time's running out before he can't wait any longer...

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Omg, count me in with everyone else. Clark's being an idiot. Not only is he keeping his secrets secret, but he's also not telling Lois about Navance, and call me crazy, but if someone threatened to track me down and kidnap me, I'd want to know about it!

Time to cut the feedback for the day...unless anyone else wants to write my architecture articles for me. Zzz. wink Great parts!
JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Hmmmm, yes, Clark is getting more irritating now, isn't he? I mean, when he's not intending to tell Lois about his powers.

On the other hand, I still marvel at how, well, 'realistic' and 'true' this Clark rings to me. I can follow his reasoning, and I can imagine looking at the world through his eyes, and bingo, it makes sense. Then I step out of his head, and I want to groan. But the thing is, even though I groan at his bad decisions, I don't get angry at him, not yet. How do I put it? Clark's fundamental decency shines through. Bottom line, he is trying to be good. He is trying to do the right thing. And unlike many other Clarks, he doesn't have any sort of vindictive streak against Lois. (I can sense bitterness and a desire for come-uppance against Lois in several canon Clarks, for example when he refuses to warn Lois about marrying Luthor in his Superman persona. But here, any desire to make Lois suffer simply isn't there.)

No, the reason for Clark's reticence about his powers seems to be twofold. First there is his well-known, canon, incredibly strong reluctance to 'out' himself. Second, there is the fact that this Clark doesn't seem to equate telling Lois about his powers with doing the necessary right thing, the kind of thing that God would ask him to do. God would ask him to save Lois and the baby if he can, and God would ask him to marry Lois if that is the best way to save her and the baby, and God would ask him to stay married to her for as long as it takes to save her and the baby, and God would ask him not to cheat on Lois while he is married to her. But I don't think Clark feels that God is asking him to tell Lois about his powers. Similarly, I don't think he feels that God is asking him to inform Lois about the threat that Navance made against her and the baby. (And just to be very clear once again: I think you paint a brilliant picture of a religious young Clark who is trying to do what he thinks God is telling him to do.)

Of course Clark is selfish in a way. He is thinking only about his duties to Lois, and not much about her feelings and her right to be told about things. He isn't asking himself, 'What would I be thinking and wanting if I was in Lois's shoes?'. But Clark is so young, and he is under so much pressure anyway. I don't blame him for this particular blind spot of his. Of course I'm hoping, nevertheless, that Clark and Lois will grow closer and learn to trust and really love one another.

Oh, and speaking about something else entirely, I don't know if I trust this Dr. Kristi:

"Does everyone call your doctor Kristi?" I asked. "Back home, everyone would say Dr. Kristi."

She shook her head. "She was my mom's doctor for a year or so before she died. She'd worked with both my parents while she was in med school. When she did that other ultrasound, she told me we'd been through enough together that I could call her Kristi." She shook her head slightly. "I still can't bring myself to do it though."

There was a knock on the door. "Hello?" The door swung open and the woman I recognized from the brief meeting in the ER entered. "How are you two doing today?"

She seemed slightly uneasy.
She was Terri's mom's doctor for a year or so before she died? I know, I know, people die of all sorts of natural causes, and sometimes there is absolutely nothing you can do, but... I don't like this proximity between Dr. Kristi and Terri's mom's death, that's all. And now Kristi seems uneasy? (Don't tell anyone, but could it be that she has been hired by someone - Navance??? - to do another spot of killing???? eek eek eek )

And speaking about something else entirely - boy, Martha and Jonathan are downright sadistic if they ask Lois and Clark to give Lana a lift to Smallville!!!

Martha and Jonathan. Hmmmm. There is something there that you haven't told us. It seems to me as if the communication between Clark and his parents is very much a dialogue between Martha and Clark. I wonder where Jonathan fits in here. And I wonder how Clark really ended up with Martha.

Ann

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
some hypothermic induced haze – and we still don't understand how that happened to you..."
Clark's cousin made the thing with the Kryptonite. I bet at some point she will send a little something to Clark's wife.

Clark gets sick, baby gets sick.... One way to find out!

Or maybe when they visit Smallville at Break Lois will be out taking a walk and collapse with pain and Martha calls for aid. Clark arrives but collapses himself. Jonathan and Martha get Lois away and she begins to feel better. Likewise they pull Clark far enough away but while he feels better he is now normal....

On another topic, as some point Clark needs to make the decision his parents made about loving him. And then he needs to explain to Lois his feelings and the reason behind those feelings. Hopefully before the revelation scene.

Framework4
C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
am way too tired to really be posting but saw your post ann so...

maybe it's just not clear - will reread it and see.

Kristi was *Ellen's* doctor for about a year before she died [she had worked with both of them while she was in med school - did I explain that in fic or only in my head?]. A friend of the family. The reason she's uneasy is because Lois did tell her the whole truth and this is the first time she's really met Clark.

Is that not clear enough?

Carol [who really meant to put all that other stuff Ann's seeing in it in there wink ]

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
clap Parents interfering clap

Carol, I certainly hope to be able to write such twisted bad guys some day (a sociopathic (first person?) Luthor). Navance gives me the creeps. May I take a shot at him?

Oh, won´t his nehphew (heir apparent tillnow ?) get jealous of his little cousin, the new heir?

Loved it, Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
My bad, Carol. I'm pretty sure you told us about Kristi being Lois's mom's doctor, but my attention span, when it comes to multi-part fics, is somewhat limited.

Ann

Kerth
Kerth
Hmm, loved those chapters. smile Again, Clark and Lois are talking. Ad to that Martha's conditions... Things are going to be even more interesting pretty soon.

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
Top Banana
Top Banana
Nice! And the Daily Planet is introduced. laugh Will we get to meet Perry White?... although Clark in his current position would have no association with him.

Is Clark still staying out as much as possible or is it just because of his work, etc.? Despite their discussion, they are still keeping to themselves and not sharing... hmm. Maybe a looong roadtrip will do the trick, although there is the question of whether Cruella, er Lana would accompany them or not. She might do so just to annoy Lois. But then if Clark can be trusted she's not a vindictive person (snort).

It's interesting that Clark knows that his parents would be more accepting if they knew the truth, yet he goes along with the official story. Also there have been instances in the past (like how he and Lana opted for co-ed dorms) which lead me to believe Clark is either in the rebellious teenager phase and not a perfect goody two-shoes or his relationship with his parents has shades of grey... which makes it more realistic... cool

And yay! there's going to be a new post today laugh

thumbsup thumbsup

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
Kerth
Kerth
Well, personally I think that Lana could easily influence Clark, at least to some extent. If I read things right (which I don't always do), opting for a co-ed dorm was Lana's idea and Clark just went along. Didn't Lana even want to get to share a room with Clark? At least he was sensible enough to not try that.

Top Banana
Top Banana
I agree with you... it was probably Lana's idea. What I meant w.r.t. his relationship with Martha & Jonathan was I think he's used to keeping things from them just like he didn't tell them that they'd opted for the same suite and it wasn't any sort of clerical error that they ended in the same suite... I could be totally wrong though.

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
So..

Martha.. good on her for setting some 'rules'. I actually have to wonder... since Clark couldn't keep his mouth shut to Lana about the official story, how on earth is he going to keep his mouth shut to his parents without telling them the truth?

I liked the ultimatum about his powers. How can he base his marriage (regardless of the reason for it occuring) on one lie after another. So I am curious to see if he can bring himself to a point where he can be honest with Lois.

I'm dreading Spring Break... so many variables... so many chances for awful things to happen....

Keep it coming!!

"He's my best friend, best of all best friends
Do you have a best friend too
It tickles in my tummy
He's so Yummy Yummy
Hey you should get a best friend too" - Toy Box
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I think everyone has already brought up interesting things thus far. It is quite interesting that Martha seems to be the primary parent here. Not that Jonathan isn't involved behind the scenes, but instead of them both on the phone, Martha is handing out the tough love on her own. I'm not sure what this reveals about the Kent family dynamics, but maybe there will be more added to the pot during Spring Break.

Speaking of... I am really happy that they are going to Smallville. I was worried that Lois wouldn't get a chance to meet the 'rents before the baby was born with the way they had been talking in previous chapters--not having time and all. I don't want Lana to accept the invite though. Of course, that probably means she will. Some others have brought up the potential for a k-nite encounter on this trip. I hadn't thought of that before, but now I'm thinking there could be some Green Glow of Home opportunities there. Did you already get a chance to reference that episode, Carol?

As far as Dr. Kristi's uneasiness, I related that to her knowledge of the truth and not to anything malevolent. It appears to me that she cares for Lois a lot (maybe even Sam?) and wants to look out for her. I even considered that she could end up being Mindy's replacement, but then I moved her off the list because I don't think I'd like the idea of her having knowledge that Sam didn't have if they were in a relationship. Anyway... that's neither here nor there, lol.

Ultimately, I just wanted to say that I am happy Lois is getting things off her chest. I know that some versions of Lois leave her fuming and silent, but I prefer it when she lets people have it; guns blazing, and all that. Sure, she might be wrong half the time, and she might be covering the other half, but there are those moments when she just gets everything right that make up for it all.

Can't wait to see what happens in Smallville! (Is this one of those trips where what happens on the 'ship' stays on the 'ship'? wink )

Once again, thanks for sharing. I'm enjoying the ride.
~Sonia

October Sands, An Urban Fairy Tale featuring Lois and Clark
"Elastigirl? You married Elastigirl? (sees the kids) And got bizzay!" -- Syndrome, The Incredibles
Kerth
Kerth
As far as Dr. Kristi's uneasiness, I related that to her knowledge of the truth and not to anything malevolent. It appears to me that she cares for Lois a lot (maybe even Sam?) and wants to look out for her. I even considered that she could end up being Mindy's replacement, but then I moved her off the list because I don't think I'd like the idea of her having knowledge that Sam didn't have if they were in a relationship.
Wasn't Kristi expecting her first child, too? Somehow I can't see her as someone who'd get pregnant without being in a serious relationship. Of course, her husband/boyfriend/whatever might get killed or something. Apart from that, I too like the idea of Kristi getting involved with Sam. smile

C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
Hehe - I was going to address that real quick Lara.

Yes - she's married to Kevin and expecting her first child.

I do have someone in mind for Sam [because we all know he can't stay with Mindy forever].

I'll be back to comment more later, but I only have 15m before I have to leave and I'm going to try to get 42/43 up instead smile .

Carl

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Originally posted by Lara Joelle Kent:
Wasn't Kristi expecting her first child, too? Somehow I can't see her as someone who'd get pregnant without being in a serious relationship. Of course, her husband/boyfriend/whatever might get killed or something. Apart from that, I too like the idea of Kristi getting involved with Sam. smile
Absolutely right! i remember that now. So scratch the part about Sam/Kristi and keep everything else wink

October Sands, An Urban Fairy Tale featuring Lois and Clark
"Elastigirl? You married Elastigirl? (sees the kids) And got bizzay!" -- Syndrome, The Incredibles

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard