Last time:
Lois

He pushed away from the wall as I approached, reaching out to tuck a strand of hair behind my ear. I'd never seen him do that to Lana.

"Hey," he said quietly. "How was class?"

I shrugged. "Fine. Both profs have been pretty understanding so far." I glanced at the clock. Three minutes. I looked around the room. There were a couple of seats together but they were all the way in the back and nowhere near a door. "Do you want me to move?"

He shook his head. "You need to be near a door, just in case. I'll try to get here earlier next time and get a seat next to you." He leaned down and kissed my temple, then moved until his mouth was next to my ear. "I'm sorry. I know we need to be more convincing than that, but I just can't." His voice wavered a bit as he spoke.

"It's okay," I whispered back. "The whispering probably goes a long way anyway."

He pressed his lips against the side of my head and was gone.

This class went much slower than the last one. I knew I would enjoy it – I loved reading and had read several of the books on the reading list already. The problem was that I couldn't see Clark or Lana and had no idea if they were anywhere near each other or exchanging longing glances or what.

I shouldn't care, I told myself, but I did. I didn't want to be played for a fool. Even if they stayed together secretly, I prayed they could avoid each other in public.

*~*37*~*
~~~~~
Clark
~~~~~

I let out a deep breath as I settled into my seat. I was closer to Lana – and farther from Lois – than I would have liked given the situation. I was close enough that I could smell Lana's shampoo with my enhanced senses. I unconsciously tuned into her heartbeat. I couldn't help it; it was something I had done for years, but as soon as I realized I had done it, I stopped. I tried to listen for Lois' instead. I'd learned over the years that everyone had a unique heartbeat, but I was still learning hers. Sleeping in the bunk beneath her had helped, but... What was that? It was light and fast, like the fluttering of butterfly wings and coming from Lois' direction.

Then it hit me.

The baby.

I could hear the baby's heartbeat.

I was floored, but I schooled my emotions so they didn't show. I'd have to take a closer listen later, because class was starting.

I half paid attention as we started discussing a couple of early American poets. Most of my attention was focused on what I was going to do when class was over. Lois, no doubt, would want to be the first one out the door. And I should be with her, but I was too far away for that.

I had to figure out a way to be more convincing about our relationship with Lana around. I shoved the thoughts out of my mind and turned my thoughts more fully on the letters between John and Abigail Adams.

Before I knew it class was over. I moved as quickly as I could without getting any extra attention but I still got stuck in the crowd.

Lois was still in her seat when I got there and she looked a little pale.

I squatted down next to her. "Are you okay?"

She shook her head. "My stomach is a little queasy."

I frowned. "Did you bring any crackers with you?"

She shook her head again.

I pulled my backpack around and dug some gum out of the pocket. "I kept a pack just in case. Want to try it?"

She took a piece. "I'm willing to try anything."

"Can you walk to Poli Sci?"

She nodded and moved to pick up her backpack, but I beat her to it. There was no reason for her to have to do that. I held her coat for her as she put it on then wrapped an arm around her waist to help support her as we headed out of the classroom.

When we reached our destination, I could feel Lana's eyes on us. There was one seat available near the door and another a couple rows down. The guy in the seat closest to the door had been in one of my fall classes and seemed like a decent guy. I asked him if he would mind moving and he said no. I set our backpacks down and helped Lois with her coat.

"Feeling any better?" I asked quietly.

She nodded. "The cool air helped quite a bit actually."

I'd have to remember that. "What about the gum?"

She smiled weakly at me. "Maybe. I'm not sure yet, but I was never much of a gum chewer so... I'm going to..." She pointed to the front of the class. I glanced at the clock and nodded, taking my seat as I did.

Before long we were embroiled in discussing democracy and how to define politics and then class was over.

This was it. I *had* to make this convincing. We were heading different directions now. I held Lois' coat, but she shook her head. Her next class was in this building, she reminded me. It was time for me to have lunch. It was time for Lana to have lunch, too, I remembered. An idea occurred to me, but I'd have to see if it would work.

I picked up her backpack then reached out and took her hand. "I'll walk you," I said simply. She gave me an odd look, but nodded. Two flights of stairs later and we were at the door. I didn't say anything but followed her in and set her bag on the desk closest to the door and mine on the one behind it.

She gave me another look, but pulled out another copy of her doctor's note and went to talk to Dr. Grant. I'd interviewed him a couple of times during the fall and he seemed like a good guy. I gave her a minute to explain her situation then followed her as he started digging through the folders in front of him.

He smiled at me as I walked up. "Hi, Clark. You're not in this class are you?"

I shook my head. "No, but my wife is," I said pointing at Lois. Something flitted across his face – questions maybe. He'd had Lana in class in the fall. "I was hoping I could switch sections so we could have lunch together at least a couple of days a week. And with her being sick, I like the idea of being able to keep a little closer eye on her." I made myself wink at her.

Lois stared at me and I shrugged. "It just occurred to me, honey." Saying that hurt. Lana's face the first time I called her that flashed before my eyes. Her bright smile and laughing eyes lying in that hayloft. I pushed the image out of my head. I wasn't allowed to think about her like that anymore.

He looked at the roster. "That shouldn't be a problem. Right now there's an open seat in here. You'll need to go do the paperwork though. If you get over there and that's changed, get me an overload form and I'll sign it for you. There's always a student or two who never show up so it shouldn't be an issue."

"Is it okay if go ahead and stay in here instead of the next one today?" He nodded. "Thanks, Dr. Grant."

We went back to our seats, Lois taking the one in front. She turned to face me. "You didn't have to do that."

I shrugged. "It made sense. We can have lunch together if you want to." Maybe she didn't want to. "If you want to," I repeated slowly. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have done that without asking you first. If you don't want me to, I won't. I just thought it might be nice to have lunch together. As part of the whole 'real' thing, you know?"

I thought I saw tears spring to her eyes, but I wasn't sure before she nodded and turned around. Why she might be close to crying, I had no idea.

~~~~~
Lois
~~~~~

Of course. Part of being real. For half a second, I'd thought it was because he wanted to spend some time with me instead of Lana. But no. He could spend time with Lana the other days or other times, but this would make us look more real. That's all it was.

And that must have been what that whole 'honey', wink thing was about.

This was my last class of the day. I couldn't remember if Clark was supposed to have one after his new lunch break or not, but he was going to have to go to Administration to get his schedule changed. I was more than ready to head back to that shabby little hole in the wall and take a nap. If I could just make it through the next hour without throwing up.

An hour later, I sighed with relief. I could go home now. I put on my coat and reached for my backpack to find that Clark already had it on his shoulder. He took my hand and we walked in silence. It was warm enough outside now that I didn't need my gloves. I was glad because I found that I liked holding Clark's hand. I wasn't sure what that meant and I wasn't about to analyze it after 50 minutes of Psychology.

I realized he was walking with me towards our apartment. "Don't you need to go to Admin?"

He shook his head. "I'll go later. I want to make sure you get home okay and get something to eat. And then you're going to take a nap before we go to your dad's house."

I groaned. I'd forgotten about that. "Do we have to?"

He looked puzzled. "Don't you want to?"

I shrugged. "Mindy's going to be there," I said as though that explained everything.

"Who?"

"Surely you remember her." At his blank stare I continued. "His girlfriend. She's a gold digger. She's told me as much. I'm afraid she's going to be even worse than his ex-partner. She's going to take everything from him and make him think it was all his idea." I could practically feel fire flashing in my eyes. "She plays the perfect blond bimbo calling him 'pookie' and acting like she doesn't have a clue about anything, but I swear, the woman could run a crime syndicate and no one would ever suspect her. It wouldn't surprise me if she set my dad up to take the fall at the same time. Maybe even for those guns." I shook my head. "You still haven't met her yet, have you?"

"You've mentioned her and I saw her in Paris but that's it. I don't think I've heard her name." He squeezed my hand lightly. "That's why you didn't want to move back home, isn’t it?"

I nodded. "She moved in about two weeks before I moved here. She told me in no uncertain terms that I needed to leave the nest. Oh, she worded it like she was clueless, but she's not. I guarantee that. Daddy's the one who's clueless."

"Well, maybe we can figure out a way to show him."

I shook my head. "Thanks, but he's not thinking straight around her. I just hope he comes to his senses before everything's gone."

He stopped and put his arms around me, pulling me close to him. "We'll make sure he doesn't lose everything. I don't know how, but we will," he whispered to me.

"I don't care about the money," I said honestly. "I mean, I know when he dies, unless something happens, I'm going to be very wealthy, but I really don't care. I just don't think he could handle losing everything again. To be honest, I'm very surprised he didn't attempt suicide after the last time. He was so depressed over Mom and Lucy that nearly losing everything almost sent him over the edge. If it happened again..."

"We won't let it."

"I don't know how we're going to stop her."

"We'll figure something out." We stood there for another minute, before he let go of me and spoke again. "Come on. You need to eat and get some rest."

~~~~~
Clark
~~~~~

We hadn't walked more than five feet when we were stopped by a swarthy, dark haired student.

"Hello," he said with a thick accent.

I nodded and smiled, tugging on Lois' hand as a signal to go around him. Something about him bugged me already.

He stepped in front of us again. "My uncle said I should get to know you." He leered at Lois. "After all, you are having his baby."

"Who are you?" I asked, my eyes narrowed.

"I am Vladimir Navance."

"What do you want?" Lois asked, her hand gripping mine more tightly.

He shrugged. "I just wanted to introduce myself. To let you know that I know who you are and that I look out for my uncle's interests." He leered at Lois. "You should be my new aunt by now."

I could feel Lois' anger mounting and mine was, too, but before I could say anything else, Lois pulled on my hand and went around him calling over her shoulder as we walked away.

"Tell your uncle I said he can go to hell."

We walked quickly towards our apartment. "Are you okay?" I asked quietly.

She shrugged. "At least now I know who to avoid."

"That's probably a good idea." We walked in silence until we made it to the apartment. I unlocked the door and opened it, letting Lois walk inside in front of me. By the time I'd shut the door behind me, she was on the bed, curling up with a blanket over her.

"You need to eat," I reminded her.

"Later," came the muffled reply.

"Why don't you get something to eat now and then take a nap?"

"Because if I eat something now, I'll probably throw it right back up."

"You don't want to end up back in the ER do you?" I asked gently.

She rolled over enough to glare in my direction. "I don't need you to be my mother, Kent."

"I know." I sighed and sat in one of the wooden chairs. "Have you thought any more about what Daniel said?"

"Which thing? He said lots of stuff."

"About changing your name."

She didn't answer for a long minute. "I have," she finally said. "And I like being Lois *Lane*, but I guess I probably need to be Lois Kent until we can get a divorce in a few years. I can change my name back afterwards, I suppose."

"Yeah."

She looked thoughtful as she rested her hand on her stomach. "The baby will be a Kent though. Probably until he or she is old enough to understand what really happened, because I don't think I'd want to do that to a five-year-old. Change his name or whatever. He wouldn't understand."

I nodded. That was a good point.

She didn't look at me as she posed her next question. "What about the baby's name?"

"What about it?"

"Daniel recommended we use something from your family or family friends or something. Do you have any thoughts on it?"

Did I have any thoughts? Of course I did, but I wasn't sure I wanted to use any of them at this point. They were names that Lana and I had talked about.

Jonathan after my dad.

Clark Jerome Jr.

For boys at least.

I did my best to hide a smile as a girl's name occurred to me. "Well, my favorite aunt is Aunt Opal."

Her eyes grew wide. "You're kidding right?"

I finally broke into a grin. "No. My favorite aunt *is* Aunt Opal, but I wouldn't want to use that for a name."

She breathed a sigh of relief. "I know we're supposed to be thinking about a name from your family but if this is a girl, I think I'd like to name her after my mom or sister, if that's okay with you. Maybe use your mom's name as a middle name or something."

"That would be okay with me."

"What if it's a boy?"

I knew instantly what name would be my choice if this baby was a boy.

"Christopher."

TBC