C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
FDK goes here smile .

Posting schedule [ET]:

Friday, Chapters 36 and 37, not sure what time, we may have a chance to go see Governor Palin Friday late morning and that would throw the whole schedule off - she's going to be in town and we have a friend who's a local big[ish] wig in the GOP and may be able to get us tickets, check the FDK thread later for an update

Sunday, Chapters 38 and 39, not sure what time on this one either wink , after 3pm ET

Tuesday, Chapters 40 and 41, 4-5pm

Thanks.

Carol

Edit: Hey look! This is topic 10,000! I almost posted an extra chapter a couple weeks ago when the topic number in the address was 10,000 but someone [Jenni?] beat me to it. This address is 10139 which means [I guess] that 139 topics have been deleted over the years making this one 10,000 wink . Not sure what that means but...

Kerth
Kerth
Carol, you sure turned me to mush with the latest chapters. I love how Clark finally decides that he has to start talking to Lois, which is at least the first step in the right direction. Anyway, don't have much time for fdk now. Later more.

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
I really liked these parts. Lois and Martha talking on the phone was heartwarming. To answer your question, in the graphic novel Superman Birthright there is a part that has Clark mentioning that Jonathan left home at 18 to find his own way and there is a photo on the wall of him in a military uniform.

"We've been sitting here all night and the longest conversation you've had with a woman was when your mom called."
Leonard to Howard: The Big Bang Theory
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I found an interesting Jonathan's bio, with his past and relatives. He's the Jonathan Post-Crisis, but this story is an Alt-Universe anyway, so it could be his past:

Jonathan Kent: Post-Crisis

From his History:
[...] When he came of age, Jonathan enlisted in the U.S. armed services and went off to fight in World War II. In 1944, he was captured by Japanese soldiers and was listed as missing in action. He was eventually released and returned home. [...]
In his Abilities, there's the following information:
[...] As a veteran of World War II, Jonathan Kent has also been trained in military protocols, weapons training and hand-to-hand combat. However it has been many years since he has utilized any of these skills.
Another interesting fact: In this version Martha married the son of a local business tycoon while Jonathan was away. But her husband died soon after Jonathan's return. Six months later, Jonathan proposed to Martha and the two got married.

About FDK:

Well... Clark is bearable in this part, probably due to the blond bimbo's absence. When she isn't around he's able to think and behavior as a normal person. wink Maybe now (after the Doctor's lecture) he'll be spending more time at home with Lois and it should leads to talking. thumbsup It seems she and Lois are going to get along very well. smile

Andreia cool

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Not talking clap

Michael

PS: Did I mention I am sort of addicted to this fic?

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
The conversation betweeen Martha and Jonathan and Clark didn't bother me as much as I expected it to, because I understood Clark was feeling guilty about what was happening with Lana the day before.

And I will agree with Martha that their converstation isn't finished because I'm assuming they need to talk about telling her the secret. And that's right.

But I still think Clark got treated a little unfairly, here. Although, quite frankly, given what Martha and Jonathan know, I'd be upset if they didn't react they way they did. I guess there's no pleasing me on this one, huh? smile

I'm glad that Clark was with her when she needed to go to the hospital. That was sweet.

I'm also glad that Lois got a chance to talk to Martha. I undestand why she wouldn't want anyone to know about the real siutation with the baby, and I think that's right. Too many people knowing about that is a bad thing. But I'm also glad that she felt guilty for the way Martha was talking. She should feel guilty. It kind of balances out Clark being treated unfairly by his parents.

Kerth
Kerth
Yeah, I agree with you, Michael. I bet Martha now knows Sue's definition of platonic. wink

Anyway, although I don't like Laura Langs interference for Lois and Clark, I sure find it interesting. Who knows what's gonna come off it? help And the conversation between Lois and Martha was just wonderful. Both of them are still a little overwhelmed by the new situation, and still they're trying to do the right thing and get along well. I guess I really love your Martha.

What I liked even more was the fact that Clark started telling Lois the truth (about the icebergs). Okay, so he says it in a way that she doesn't believe, but in any case he's dropping hints already. Oh, and I loved the Great Wall bit. thumbsup

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Oooooh boy. I really hope Clark still decides to actually talk to Lois a bit, and doesn't take her snubs as a sign that she'd rather not hear it. 'Cause this saga can be plenty long and heartbreaking even without a total lack of communication....

Jonathan was military in the current comics, but Army, not Navy.

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
"I wonder why it's hitting you so hard in your second trimester instead of the first," she said contemplatively.
If she does not begin thinking it may be because Clark is different I'll be very surprised.

Framework4
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Have so little time, but...

Carol, your Clark isn't irritating me as much as he seems to irritate others here. Well, just wait until he starts lying to Lois about his powers. That is guaranteed to drive me out of my mind!

Of course I think he is wrong to love Lana, but because I remain convinced that he will learn some nasty truths about Lana eventually (like what she will do with sensitive information that he has entrusted her with), I also remain hopeful that he will fall out of love with Lana and gradually learn to love Lois. But so far, and since I'm all but convinced that he will grow out of his Lana-infatuation eventually, I think his love for her has a certain charm to it. (Besides, I grew up with a Superman who had many girlfriends, so I'm not too surprised to hear that Clark would half-cheat with Lana on his wife - but only half-cheat, because so far he hasn't made love to Lana.)

Anyway, these parts were sad and painful. Poor Lois, feeling abandoned by Clark and being so sick that she had to go to hospital. Poor Clark, trying to do the right thing, and feeling condemned by everybody.

I hope Lois will reach a point where she will share the ultrasound pictures with Clark because she wants to. I hope Clark will really stop seeing Lana and stop thinking so much about Lana. And I hope Clark will stop denying the possibility that he could be the father of Lois's baby.

Ann

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Carol, I would probably parachute out a window to see Governor Palin, so you *have* to update if that falls into place on Friday!

Anyway on to the feedback...
Of course I think he is wrong to love Lana, but because I remain convinced that he will learn some nasty truths about Lana eventually (like what she will do with sensitive information that he has entrusted her with)
Oh, you and me both, Ann! I cringe every time at Clark's blabbing and have all sorts of horrible consequences in the back of my head.

I love Martha. Even when nothing's going right, I feel like she bolstered Lois' spirits a little by being in her corner. There's still a lot to talk about of course, and some more boxing of Clark's ears (she's still 'Mom' after all), but Lois doesn't seem so isolated in this now. Clark's there but he's not really 'there', and I'm glad he got fussed at by the doctor and hopefully realizes that pregnancy isn't an island, and if you're going to marry a pregnant woman, Jesus, stop moping about your high school girlfriend for a minute and check on your unplanned wife every now and then. And I can't believe Mrs. Lang of course. The last damn thing I would do is call up my daughter's married exboyfriend or his Mom.

Hmm I ranted a lot...but great part :p and some very interesting characters have come into the picture...
JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Can't type long... exhausted... need sleep...
But I really wanted to leave fdk before the toothpicks holding my eyes open broke..

I loved these parts... very emotional from both Lois and Martha.
Clark is going to have to be careful with Lois or Lois is going to end up with anti-natal depression...
As much as Clark irritates me with his previous actions, and constant 'running away' act, I imagine it is currently hard for him to associate with Lois and the baby in terms of family because Lois is excluding him from the moments that would help the bonding process... I think if Clark was privy to the ultrasound and heartbeat - those 'special' moments, his attachment to this baby would become more than just a convenient solution. Emotion doesn't happen overnight... but attachment to his (at least by marriage) child through these little things could bring them closer to at least an amicable relationship.
So while Clark bugs me with the whole Lana episode, Lois isn't helping by shutting him out.
I think because of the unusual symptoms Lois is having (says me, the woman who's second pregnancy's morning sickness lasted through into 3rd trimester ) Martha is going to think there is a chance this really is Clarks child, despite the fact I am sure she and Jonathan would be skeptical as they wouldn't know if their 'special' son was compatible with an earth female.
Now... the Lang family...
I don't think Lana is entirely out of the picture here, and Laura putting her nose in feels to me like the tip of the iceberg. I am suspicious Lana will tell her mom everything she knows... and that will push the point of the baby's paternity.... as I said... Clark giving Lana way too much truth is far too dangerous... I have a bad feeling about it.

Poor Clark has people ganging up on him left, right and center...

Look forward to more... this story really IS addictive... dance

"He's my best friend, best of all best friends
Do you have a best friend too
It tickles in my tummy
He's so Yummy Yummy
Hey you should get a best friend too" - Toy Box
C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
Hey all smile . Thank you!

I am going to see Sarah Palin tomorrow. We have VIP tickets even - so we should be on the rope line is what our friend told us. Anyway - will have to leave about 745 and probably won't get home till 2-3/330. So will post late afternoon tomorrow.

Back to OTOH...

Lara - thank you! I love the telling the truth thing. Not sure Lois will appreciate it... wink

Countrygurl - I love Martha... Glad to know that Jonathan in the military isn't just a complete figment of my imagination... wink

UW - I will get back to you on that email BTW! And very interesting! I didn't know any of that but just could have sworn that he had military service at some point... Yeah - not a big Laura Lang fan here. Love Martha.

Michael - was that written by Lane-Kent and Kent?! wink You know I haven't read VotS in a *very* long time... I may have to. Seriously. I don't think that Clark really thinks he's an alien freak. Just one of those things that slips out once in a while, you know? /hides sign to FARCE meeting from Michael

Sara - They will talk about the secret at some point. I do hope it was clear that Clark's been avoiding them and not that they were being uninvolved - and they just *happened* to be out of town when all this was going on [love how that worked out huh?].

Amy - thank you! And thanks for the Army tidbit. The branch really isn't important to the fic at all, just the mention that he served...

Framework - it's possible...

Ann - I'm glad Clark's not irritating you too badly. Clark could be the father? /looks around then runs and hides wink

JD - will think of you while I'm there and will point out us if they have any pics in national coverage of the event since we're /puffs chest/ VIPs [seriously - just because we have a friend who works in the local GOP office]. Check in on your unplanned wife - hehe. More about Mrs. Lang in Ch. 36...

Lisa - /hands her new toothpicks. Interesting with the PPD thing - it's something I've struggled with myself. I think there's enough fault for both of them at the moment. My [whatever time of day] sickness generally lasted throughout - though not as often as the weeks went on [1-2xs a week instead of daily etc]. We will see Lana again... /hides FARCE sign from Lisa too

More tomorrow!
Carol

A
Columnist
Columnist
A
I don't exactly feel better yet, but I can see some hope. Clark made his first "hero" decision when he married Lois, and now the rubber meets the road.

I know Lois shares some of the burden of working on the friendship, but I just feel so sorry for her right now. There is nothing worse than pregnancy sickness and knowing that you don't feel like yourself and you can't even trust your own feelings. I'm hoping there will be an event that will engender the compassion Clark must feel for her somewhere in the midst of all the non-communication.

And as for the Langs...their true colors are showing! Clark was right when he figured out he'd told Lana too much.

I'll be out of commission for a few days...but I'll catch up as soon as I can!

Amber

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by carolm:
Michael - was that written by Lane-Kent and Kent?! wink
Well, they could certainly have if they learned something from all of it laugh

You know I haven't read VotS in a *very* long time... I may have to. Seriously.
Important: Please forget what happened to LnC in there. Anything can happen in VotS. Any sort of WHAM. Let yourself be scared out of your mind laugh

I don't think that Clark really thinks he's an alien freak. Just one of those things that slips out once in a while, you know?
Hm, so you *do* agree that he's a cheating pile of horse manure, then?

/hides sign to FARCE meeting from Michael
Right. What was it again for? FolCs addicted recovery something something, I believe... Funny tidbit: I first saw this mentioned only a few days ago. But it's nice to know there is still a self-help group out there. After all, that's much better than spending time reading and FDK'ing, right? So I'm now going to find the local chapter and try to get of this nasty habit of reading Carol-fic devil

I hope you will have a great time at that shindig, Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
A
Columnist
Columnist
A
Oh, and the political junkie in me is totally jealous of you getting to see Governor Palin! Have a great time!

Amber

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I'm going to reiterate my desire for the return of Lois and Clark as friends. We got to see maybe just a little of that in these parts, so I'm feeling better... kind of. I still want Lois to confront him about the library scene, even if it's just an "I saw you" and not an angry fall-down accusation. She doesn't feel that she has the right to be possessive, but since Clark gets to tell the truth about icebergs, then she should get to tell the truth too.

Speaking of icebergs (and how one would have the ability to melt them)--I think it's going to be a hard trial to keep the Kents out of the loop. I'm pretty sure that Ma and Pa are going to be suggesting that Lois be let in on a little secret, especially when they suspect the child is Clark's. I would also like to add here that I am still extremely worried about where the Langs come in. What Lana knows and what Laura intends... I am worried. I am glad that Martha and Lois got a chance to talk. That was a definite highlight. I might have to keep that part on retainer for comfort when things get tough.

Looking forward to more!
~Sonia

October Sands, An Urban Fairy Tale featuring Lois and Clark
"Elastigirl? You married Elastigirl? (sees the kids) And got bizzay!" -- Syndrome, The Incredibles
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Hi Carol!
I'm with Sunrei. I want to see more of Lois and Clark being close again. I am also concerned about the Langs as well. I think that Clark needs to let Lois in on the secret soon, but wouldn't it be funny if a "super" pregnancy started letting her do odd things. What a way to let the cat out of the bag! "Um, Lois, um, there's something I need to tell you."
I know that at some point, things have to become more romantic between them, but it's hard to see that happening now. Perhaps proof that the baby is Clark's could lead to a flashback of the cabin, and all would become clear. Right now with Clark so hung up on Lana, that moment seems far away.
How was Gov. Palin? I am so jealous! I would love to have the opportunity to see her in person.
Looking forward to the next installment!

~Mel~
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I don't mean to offend anyone, but I really don't see how finding out that the baby is Clark's is going to make him fall in love with Lois. That's a graduall process, and it doesn't happen just because you gave someone DNA any more than it happens automatically, just because you said "I Do" in extreme circumstances.

I was thinking about this the other day, and I thought of another reason why it would be better for the baby NOT to be Clark's, besides my concern that he cheated on Lana. At the end of the five years, wouldn't it be better for him to stay with Lois because he wants to than becasue he feels obigated? Right now he feels obligated because of Navance. We know that. And that's okay because it got them married. But if he finds out it's his, wouldn't it be possible for Clark to feel like he HAS to stay with Lois? I'd much rather him stay because he fell in love with her and the baby even though he knows it isn't his.

This doesn't have much to do with the chapters posted on Wed.; just some general thoughts. But I posted my feedback on the chapters earlier. And I know it's still your story, Carol. This is just the way I see/would like to see things happen. And I realize I'm a minority.

C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
Sara - you do make some interesting points.

As for how the end plays out... that's something I've been waffling on - not *what* happens, but *how* it happens.

That said, I don't know that Lois will... let isn't quite the right word but I don't know that Lois will let him stay if it's out of some sense of obligation once the Navance thing is over. She wants someone to love her and - without the extenuating circumstances - I don't see her settling for less.

And then Clark threw me a HUGE curveball! And then I have to deal with that before it ends... Silly characters...

Carol

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard