Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
FDK goes here smile .

Posting schedule [ET]:

Wednesday: Chapters 34 and 35, 3-5pm

Friday: Chapters 36 and 37, 4-5pm

Sunday: Chapters 38 and 39, sometime... Sundays are crazy...

Thanks smile .
Carol

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Things are a mess.

Clark still wants Lana, and Lois still believes he's sleeping with her.

I do feel for Clark, though. I can't imagine what it would feel like to be married to a friend and have to hold the one you love at arm's length.

The kiss could be a problem, though. There's a debate whether cheating in a marriage is kissing or sleeping with other people. Of course, Lois assumes there sleeeping together, anyway, so maybe it doesn't matter for this story.

I really do think Lois is jealous, though. Part of it is that she wants someone to love her. But she also hinted she might like to sleep with Clark if he was willing to. And besides that, what does Lois honestly have against Lana? Certainly she seems annoyed with her prissy additude (the lip gloss, the lacy curtains in the dorm room, etc.), and I can see Lois being annoyed with someone prissy like that. But is that a real to call her Cruella? She has feelings for Clark that she isn't willing to deal with.

But Clark is still in love with Lana. It's certainly sweet how protective of Lois he is, but he still can't just turn off his feelings for Lana like a light switch!

I hope Lana finds someone else to love, though. She doesn't deserve the raw end of this deal, even if she wouldn't have excepted Clark's powers/origins. Maybe she can get together with Joe? He deserves happiness, too.

Top Banana
Top Banana
I'm waiting with bated breath to see how Clark answers Lois' question. Besides, no matter what Clark says, Lois has already made up her mind of Clark and his relationship with Lana. frown

I can't decide either if it's really over between Lana and Clark atleast for the next 5 years or... will there be more tempting occasions? thumbsup

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
R
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
R
I am sad by what I see as Clark's somewhat lack of moral compass. It wasn't just the kissing of Lana but he also broke his promise and told Lana part of the truth about not having slept with Lois. I know this is a difficult time for him and he is young but he took vows and made a promise concerning the story him and Lois would share with others including Joe, Lana and parents

robinson
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Is it Wednesday yet? No? How about now?

For the record, I'm not annoyed with Clark for breaking his promises and/or vows. I'm annoyed with him for making them in the first place when he was obviously in no position to carry through on them! He's not even doing something really noble by staying married to Lois; he's just weakly giving in to Navance's blackmail.

I'm starting to suspect some sort of soul splitting device that Tempus launched at L&C&L&J's births....

Also, now is it Wednesday? smile

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oooh, we're at the angsty part now. Clark and Lois and Lana and Joe are all miserable. And Lois is vomiting!

It was a bad idea to tell Lana that it wasn't his baby. (Although I can see how Clark fell into that trap). You just know she'll blab it out somewhere. Remember, hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

Clark Jerome Davis Kent
Whoa! Where'd the "Davis" come from? Am I missing something?

"I love you," I whispered again.

"I know. But you have to go back to your wife before we do something all of us will regret."
Lana being noble? Doing the right thing? Is this the Lana we know and hate? Is her anger going to grow and simmer slowly until it comes to a toxic, volcano-erupting boil?

And then, when I was so ceremoniously draped over the toilet, he finally decided 'a bit' was up, and Clark walked in the door.

When I was done retching, I wiped the corners of my mouth with a piece of toilet paper and asked him, "Where have you been?"
Please, please, tell me that Clark will say something like, "I've been breaking up with Lana", or "I've been telling Lana that we can't see each other at all anymore." Start communicating, Clark! Don't let Lois wallow in misery anymore.

C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
Originally posted by IolantheAlias:

Clark Jerome Davis Kent
Whoa! Where'd the "Davis" come from? Am I missing something?

hehe

Wondered if anyone was going to mention that...

/scampers off before telling anyone if it actually means anything
Carol

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I had to interrupt my reading so that I could shout out my confusion at Clark's name. Davis???? Who the h*** is Davis? I don't remember any Davis from all my years reading the Superman comics! And although my knowledge of the show is scant indeed, I know I have never run across any Davis in all the fanfics I have read!

Davis? You mentioned Clark's grandma in there, and I don't think that she ever uses to be part of the action. Come to think of it, I can't remember that I've ever heard Clark talk about his earthly (or for that matter, Kryptonian) grandmother before. And if there is a grandmother, there must be a grandfather. Davis?

You are evil, Carol!!!!! razz razz clap

Ann

Wait!!!! I checked it out! Davis is the grandmother!!!! Grandma Davis!!!!

Queen of Evil, Carol!!!!

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Okay, now I've read both parts. Brilliant choice of song and title of the fic, Carol!

But Clark told Lana that it wasn't his baby!!!! GAAAAHHH!!!!! And Lana will not tell anyone, right? I mean, if it is Clark's baby Lana will look like an utter fool. Everyone will think that Clark has ditched her and humiliated her. But if the baby really isn't Clark's, then Lois and the baby are the only ones who will suffer if the truth about the baby's paternity becomes known. (Of course the truth about the baby's paternity is that Clark is the father of it, but....)

Well, anyway, I'm just saying that Lana has no reason to blurt out to everyone that Clark isn't the father of Lois's baby, has she? And she wouldn't just tell everyone, because she has a heart of gold, doesn't she? razz razz razz

You sure keeps riveting me, Carol!

Ann

C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
Hehe! Hadn't planned on coming back tonight but didn't get out clothes for all the kids and had to email myself something so...

Ann - you crack me up!

Technically, Grandma Davis has been mentioned and in Ch. 33, he mentioned a Great-Grandma Davis. I admit that these are completely made up people - original characters if you will, though I don't know if that counts for someone you don't meet [and Clark said Great Grandma Davis died knowing that she'd never see her grandson marry his mom so... Is she still an OC? /ponders]. I have no idea if there's any Superman canon grandparents - beyond Martha's parents are Mr. and Mrs. Clark and Jonathan's are Mr. and Mrs. Kent. Actually, no - there is a link in FFR somewhere [I think somebody pasted it in the thread too] that talks about Jonathan's family, but it has no bearing on this as I'd forgotten all about it wink . Whether the Davis has any special meaning or is simply a red herring...

On the advice of Beth...

/scampers off

More response to FDK later tomorrow or Wed...

Carol

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Are you aware that Davis is the name of the New soon to be bad guy on Smallville this year?

That dream in the cabin bothers me. How many Fanfic occur where Clark and Lois have sex and think it is a dream?

Why include details about the lack of signs of sex at the frat party?

Clearly this is Clark's child.

Framework4
Kerth
Kerth
Great chapters, Carol! But I sure feel reminded of Learning to Love here. Why is it that the Lois in this current story has all these fears about being cheated on - besides the obvious? After all, her father never cheated on her mother. Especially Lois' comments about Clark being just like 'every other man' strikes me as odd.

Still waiting for more...

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Aaaahhhhhhhhhhhh! [Linked Image]

We could get an annulment and I could marry him instead, then he'd be the legal father and..."

Clark shook his head. "It'd never work. Navance would be all over it."
What is the point, anyway? Nobody is going to believe that this marriage is real, let alone Navance. [Linked Image] By the way, is his nephew around? He'll have a blast reporting Clark's behavior to Navance. Clark is making his task very easy. razz

Apparently, she'd done a good job convincing him I was the father.
Lois did what they had agreed to do. She did a good job, but he ruined it all. [Linked Image]

Once there, I could only stare. Okay. I knew this was the farthest thing from a conventional marriage there had ever been, but this wasn't exactly the most private place in the world. It was the library, for crying out loud. And there, in plain sight for anyone who walked by – including me – to see was my husband kissing his ex-girlfriend.
If Lois saw them, surely more people did, too. A library is a very public place. What is he thinking? mad Oh, wait. He doesn't think when the blond bimbo is around.

"And I love you, Lana, but I can't. I'm married and no matter what else, I have a wife. I have a baby on the way and I..." My voice broke. I wanted to tell her the truth – that the baby wasn't mine – but I couldn't risk it.
"It's not my baby." I guess I could blurt it out.

"What?" The look Lana gave me just then rivaled the worst one Lois had ever given, and she gave some doozies. "You just said you're having a baby. Lois, your *wife*, is pregnant, and it's not your baby?"

Okay, she had a hard time believing it. I guess I could understand that.

"I can't tell you anymore that that and if you tell anyone, I'll deny it. I have to. But I swear to you, I never cheated on you. I've never made love to another woman."
Argh!!!!!! [Linked Image] Lana must use a Kryptonite perfume. He can't keep a line of thought around her! He knows that he can't risk telling her that the baby isn't his, and in the next breath he blurts it out. What is the matter with him?

And I can't cheat on her either.
So, spending hours kissing your (ex?) girlfriend isn't cheating on your wife. [Linked Image] Great, Clark. What a deception. grumble

He'd said he'd be back in a bit when he left this morning, but didn't define what bit was. It was nearly three hours later when I'd seen them in the library. And it was four hours after that now. Apparently, a bit meant more than seven hours to him.
Clark's behavior is deplorable. He made promises to Lois but when Lana is around he breaks all of them. He can't keep his word and he'll will put Lois and the baby in danger. He has already risked their lives when he told Lana that the marriage isn't real. Lana keeping it a secret? Ha! Who would believe that the marriage is real when he leaves his pregnant wife alone for more than seven hours to be making out with another woman in a public place in plain sight? [Linked Image]

What I hate most about Clark is his split personality (and I'm not speaking about Superman). When Lana isn't around (the weekend in the cabin, in Latislan, before she came back from Europe) Clark cares about Lois. He's friendly, he talks to her, they help each other and have fun together. But when Miss blond appears on the scene, Clark becomes another person. He can't think straight, he forgets all that is important and shuts Lois out completely. [Linked Image]

I think just Clark finding out that he IS the baby's father would take his mind away from toxic blond. [Linked Image]

Andreia

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
A
Columnist
Columnist
A
Okay, seriously, I just want them to be friends again. I understand that they both have stuff they have to work through, and they haven't had a lot of time to do that so far, but at this point, Clark has completely failed in the friendship department. Lois's sarcasm doesn't help much either, but anyone who has ever met Lois knows that sarcasm is a cover for hurt. And where did Clark go all week?

I'm getting concerned about what seems to be a noticeable lack of Jonathan and Martha. I'm becoming suspicious that since the Lanes were not the parents of canon perhaps the Kents are not either...

And as for Lana. Ugh. If you're sticking with the "not evil" Lana, I would say that it's nice that Clark has someone to (mostly) confide in, just as Lois did with her doctor. I just have such a hard time believing that Lana isn't evil. And Clark has just given her enough rope with which to hang them all.

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Okay, Carol, 'fess up! Who is Grandma Davis????

Yes, I know, she is Clark's grandmother. The one million dollar question, however, is whose mother she is!!!

This is what you told us about Grandma Davis:

one of the quilts Great Grandma Davis had made knowing she'd never see her grandson marry my mom.
And you also said this:

"Don't you *dare* call me that, Clark Jerome Davis Kent. I am *not* your baby. Not anymore."

I winced. She didn't just middle name me; she whole named me. Even Mom didn't 'Davis' me very often. How had I screwed this up so badly?
So who is Grandma Davis? Whose mother is she? At first I thought she was Jonathan's mother. The fact that she had made a quilt - had made several quilts, in fact - made her sound 'rural' to me, and I once read somewhere that Martha was originally a Boston girl. I always liked that, and I just don't think of Martha's Boston mother as a person who would make a lot of quilts.

So that would make Grandma Davis Jonathan's mother. Except that surely doesn't explain why mother and son would have different last names! How can Jonathan Kent be the son of Mrs Davis? That doesn't make sense.

Wait, don't tell me! Surely you don't mean that your Jonathan's last name is in fact not Kent, but Davis? He's Jonathan Davis? No, that can't be right either. Clark is Clark Kent, so how can his father be Jonathan Davis?

So Grandma Davis is Martha's mother, then? I don't know if I believe that either. Consider the quote above:

one of the quilts Great Grandma Davis had made knowing she'd never see her grandson marry my mom.
Grandma Davis knew that her grandson - Clark - would not marry his mother - Grandma Davis' own daughter? Wouldn't she just say that she knew that her grandson wouldn't marry her daughter? Thinking of your own daughter as 'his mother' just doesn't sound right to me. Besides, Martha is the person who is calling Clark 'Davis' most often, and apparently she does it when she is angry at him. Would you use your own maiden name to show your son that you are angry at him?

So is it possible that Grandma Davis is not Jonathan's mother and not Martha's mother, but she is still Clark's grandmother? And if so, how can that be?

Okay, let me present a wild and crazy theory. Remember that even though Sam and Ellen were in love, Ellen became pregnant with another man's child, and she gave her son up for adoption. What if Martha and Jonathan did the same thing? And what if they gave Clark up to Grandma Davis?

For this to work, I think that Clark would actually have to be Martha's biological child. Imagine that! She would have had to be unfaithful to Jonathan, or else she was raped, or else she was tricked somehow, or... well, I don't know. She must have had sex, voluntarily or not, with another man. And guess what? This man would have had to be Kryptonian!!!! (I know, I know, I know....)

Okay, so Martha became pregnant with a half-Kryptonian child, but she gave the child up to Grandma Davis. (Make that Mrs Davis.) Clark stayed with Mrs (and Mr) Davis for a few years, but then Martha and Jonathan brought him back home. But Mrs Davis, who was considerably older than Martha, was able to remain in Clark's life as Grandma Davis. Okay, Carol, how am I doing? laugh

Of course, if I'm right another person may still be at large... Clark's biological, Kryptonian father!!! Where is he now? Does he know about Clark? Is he looking for him? And, by any chance, is he looking for Lois and Clark's baby?

Well, that was a wild and crazy theory, but you must have given us Grandma Davis for a reason, Carol!

Ann

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Carol, I'm apparently am a glutton for punishment, because I so loved this part. Or well, got excited, angry, and desperate for more from reading it laugh

So, that's Clark and Lana: whinging

This is my little surprise for Clark (The green should actually glow sickly)
[Linked Image]

And now Clark looks like this: thud

What is Clark thinking? Besides: Lana. Horny. Want Lana. Ugh. He actually *told* her that it's not his baby eek Poor Lois.

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Wow--a lot of Davis spec going on. I agree that there is some significance there. You wouldn't have whole-named him if it weren't. I think that Great Grandma Davis might potentially be Jonathan's maternal grandmother... but I haven't really sketched out a tree or anything.

I agree with amberlea--I want to see them become friends again. At this point, I am annoyed with Clark and pretty ready to jump on Team Joe. Clark really isn't covering his tracks very well. Sure, I understand his 'soul-tie' with Lana, and the whole heartbreak thing, but I am having a hard time finding any sympathy for him with his behavior as it stands. Unfortunately, I think that also makes it hard for me to recognize his actions in Latislan as noble. I'm holding out for a hero. I know how hard it is to de-evolve a character and then redeem him/her, so I am very interested to see if/how that will be done with this Clark Kent.

Lois wants someone to love her, and I want her know that she deserves it. Letting Clark waver is not her best move. I would love to see her call him on the carpet after the library incident. Then, she should lay down the ground rules or tell him to end the farce then and there. He claims to want to protect her and the baby, but Lois should realize that she could plan for her own protection without him if he's not going to commit to the plan.

Now, Lana... not sure what to make of her, just yet. I'm glad that she told him to leave because I don't want her okay with letting herself become the 'other woman.' On the other hand, she knows the 'real' story about the baby.

I think we could start fixing this by revealing that the baby is really Clark's and force them to figure it out from there.

/hands Carol a ratchet and gets out a fan

I'm ready for you to turn up the heat!

~s

October Sands, An Urban Fairy Tale featuring Lois and Clark
"Elastigirl? You married Elastigirl? (sees the kids) And got bizzay!" -- Syndrome, The Incredibles
C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
Ann -

You crack me up smile .

That's a good thing.

Love the theory.

One thing though:

Clark mentioned Grandma Davis when talking about who he could dance with at the Corn Festival [I think that's the only conversational mention to this point]. Here he *thinks* about *Great* Grandma Davis. In conversation, I might call my Great Grandmother 'Grandma' [I'm not saying that's what Clark did, just that it's possible]. So although both Great Grandma Davis and Grandma Davis have been mentioned, it's *possible* he's referring to the same person.

I don't know if it's common around the rest of the world so Great Grandma here means Clark's parent's [either mom or dad] Grandparent [so Martha's Grandma or Jonathan's Grandma].

Maybe that sentence was worded oddly though - that's possible.

"one of the quilts Great Grandma Davis had made knowing she'd never see her grandson marry my mom."

So Great Grandma Davis wouldn't live to see her grandson marry Martha.

I see a couple of options here [there could be more, I'm sure, besides the theory you listed above, of course]:

A. Martha never married the grandson but has the quilt anyway [maybe he died while they were engaged or MIA and she moved on or... for whatever reason, they never married and she got the quilt anyway]

B. Martha *did* marry the grandson - given that it's a grandmother, she doesn't necessarily have the same last name as her grandson [maternal grandma - Clark's Dad's Mom's Mom - does that make sense?]

C. It could be a very close non-family member who is *called* Grandma. This could also be a... hyphenated last name situation like Lane Kent for Lois and Clark's kids. Or a second middle name for a very close family friend.

D. Maybe Jonathan was Jonathan Davis at some point and adopted by the Kents for some reason [but he still knew who his grandparents were].

E. Grandma could have been widowed and remarried and by the time Clark came along was no longer Grandma *original married last name* but now Grandma Davis.

F. None of the above.

G. It's all a big red herring to see what theories people will come up with wink . And then the real answer will smack everyone upside the head eventually. A giant case of misdirection, if you will...

Or something.

wink
More responses later...
Carol

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Either I'm blind and you mentioned it but I read right past it but, why shouldn't she simply be Jonathan's maternal grandmother?

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
Great Grandma Davis certainly could be, Michael.

C

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard