Next Thread
Print Thread
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
What makes this fic so interesting is Lois's reminiscing about her life. There was something about how Lois and Chad planned for their life together in college that so much reminded me of Lois and Clark's college life together in Carol's Learning To Love. And I don't mean that negatively, absolutely not. It is almost as if Carol managed to create an alternate reality where Lois is married, or almost-married, in college, but still not being intimate with her husband or near-husband. Carol's fic is echoing as a background here, making me wonder more and more what happened between Lois and Chad to make her so fearful of nice ordinary men, who could hurt her so badly.

Ann

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Well, this Lois still has Claude in her background. And Paul as well, I assume. Not to mention her father.

But something must have happened with Chad as well. Otherwise he wouldn't be included in so many flashbacks. And I have to wonder what that might be. Was it really big? Or was it something that wouldn't seem so big normally, but would seem big to Lois? After all, if I read correctly, she had been with Chad since Middle School and was still with him when she was applying for college. Any kind of break - up like that would hit her hard, especially with her background.

L
Columnist
Columnist
L
OMG not the first post =P Too bad I read this chapter on my phone and didn't feel like posting an FDK on its tiny "keyboard" lol

I agree with Ann, I loved the flashback and I really want to know more about Lois and Chad. (and also kinda like how you kept it LnC as a tangent lol) I also liked the subtle changes in the famous episode quotes, for example:

Originally posted by anonpip:

“Have you ever lived with someone?” Lois asked as they watched the room across the alleyway.

“No,” Clark admitted.
HiM Script:
LOIS
Have you ever lived with anyone? I
mean, full time. A relationship.
With a member of the opposite sex.

CLARK
No. Not full time.
I also like how Lois seems not quite as gaga over Superman, though at the same time the feelings she does have feel more grounded to me.

Finally, loved Martha and Jonathan, hehe, teasing Clarkie is always good =P

Sara "Lieta"
A
Features Writer
Features Writer
A
Wow, thanks for the feedback!

Ann, why am I not surprised that you find Lois' flashbacks the best part?

Honestly, while they are small part of what's here, both the Lois and Clark flashbacks were my favorite parts to write.

And I'm not insulted at all to be compared to LtL. I love that fic!!

It's also not surprising that this reminds you of this. I think the history I see Lois as having in this fic with her family is very similar to the one Carol used in LtL. At some point when she was still writing that, she sent me a part to beta that covered Sam's leaving. I had just written the flashback of that for this story and it was eerie how similar they were.

As for what happens with Lois and Chad, well, I'm not telling. But Sara is right - he's mentioned for a reason.

We still have quite a few chapters left before Lois and Chad's fate becomes clear - partly as the flashbacks get a little bit more interspersed in upcoming chapters, both as they didn't fit and as I had a specific place I wanted them to end and it took me longer to get there than I had thought it would and partly cause, well there's a lot of them. (To be fair, they may not all be necessary, but to the point of them being my favorite part to write, I couldn't help myself from adding more.)

On the other hand, I'm hoping (fingers crossed) that I'm going to send the last chapter of this story to my betas this weekend (this is a somewhat ambitious amount of writing, but I'm hoping...) and if that's the case, probably sometime soon I'll increase the posting schedule (probably taking a page from Carol's book and posting 2 chapters at a time).

To Sara's point - Aside from what happens with Chad, part of Lois' fears stem from her father (as has already come across in her interactions with Chad) as well as Paul and Claude. She has no shortage of bad experiences with men.

Sara - I think you're right - the timing of this makes it likely Lois would less able to dismiss any issues with Chad. But there's also the fact that she hasn't met Claude and Paul yet. So, she's just had the bad experience with her dad. Still, Chad is doing a good job thus far of showing her that maybe not all men are like that. Which of course makes any blow after that even harder.

And that's essentially what happened with this Lois and Claude, too. Basically, with both Chad and Claude, Lois had her guard up, but over time they brought it down. I only assume that means next time, she's more careful - the wall is higher and reinforced.

Lieta - I love the bit of dialogue you pointed out. It amazes me as I go through this how much of what happened doesn't work in this universe. I had half of the Lois/Clark conversation about living with someone written before I remembered that Clark has a roommate here.

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nancy, that sure was one hell of a flashback. It really makes me want to see more of them help

The Clark's roommate thing Lieta pointed is quite interesting. After all, Clark is a virgin, so in what form did he live with a woman? Or did he lie? Or is it just a case of the writes changing their minds?

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
A
Features Writer
Features Writer
A
Michael - I noticed that, too. Very interesting. It's just begging for a flashback, but I have no use for a Clark living with someone flashback...

Although, my next story already has a reference to this I think - almost exactly this way. Clark lives with someone, but not full time.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard