Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Lieta Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
I'm treating these as a duet since they go together....

Very poignant story in Grandma Lois, I loved the descriptions of Lois' feelings during the memorials. I had tears pricking some of the times too.... most of all I loved Cat.

For the letters... I think this says it all:

Originally posted by anonpip:
“Everything about these letters screams of Clark Kent –
I would love to see more of this world..... after Triangle of course ~.^

Sara "Lieta"
Columnist
Columnist
Hi,

I just want to say that I really appreciated these companion stories.

I had a huge lump in my throat when I read how Clark had died. It was such a sad end for a wonderful, caring, compassionate person.

Like Lois, I wanted to scream at the public's reaction to Superman's death, and I too would have hated to attend that memorial service, so I was proud that Lois chose to go.

I loved Cassie, and was so glad she decided to follow in her grandfather's footsteps.

These were two very poignant stories and though I'm uncomfortable reading death fics, I am glad I chose to read Grandma Lois and Letters from Clark.

Yours Jenni

Columnist
Columnist
Grandma Lois made me cry. What a beautiful story.

Top Banana
Top Banana
wow! i normally don't like death-fics - too depressing.... but this was so poignant, full of hope... loved it! thumbsup

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
I'd love to beat the public upside the head.

I'm unclear what they think happened to Superman - just died in the cage I guess. And if they had Kryptonite, I fail to see how it was his fault that 31 hostages died. Stupid public wink .

You made me cry and you know we have an extra kid around this morning!!!

I enjoyed both of these - thanks for sharing!
Carol

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I thought the Lois story was beautiful. The Clark story too, but the Lois story was my favorite.

Well, it's no secret that I hate Lois deathfics. I usually don't like Clark deathfics either, but there is a difference: the Clark deathfics seem so solemn, so far-reaching. The Lois deathfics seem so small, as if they don't touch anything at all apart from Clark's grieving heart. By contrast, Clark's death is such a big event, even if the super-stupid public didn't seem to understand that in this particular fic.

Well, I loved your portrait of Lois and her anger. I really liked your portrait of Cat. I was glad to see that Lois had three children by Clark, and that the children were all superheroes. I was also glad that Lois had many grandchildren, and I completely loved your portrait of Cassie.

When I first read the Clark letters, they didn't touch me that deeply. But now I see how Clark's thoughts in them are mirrored by Cassie's wrestling with the question of her own destiny, and that makes both Cassie's and Clark's inner struggles so very moving.

Ann

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Delightful. Truly delightful. clap clap

Framework4
A
Features Writer
Features Writer
A
Thanks, everyone for the feedback! I wasn't sure about this story. The whole thing came about as a character in a book I'm reading had a grandmother named Lois. That was it.

Somehow that led to this and I wrote the first quarter of the story or so without knowing what the story was about. I'm always worried that this means I rambled too much...

Lieta - Thanks! I liked Cat in this, too. I wasn't intending for her to show up, but she did and she was so nice! I definitely like this older Cat. And I particularly liked the idea of Lois and Cat being friends now. Like now that they were older, they could put their differences behind them.

Not sure I'll write more of this world. Both because I don't have additional ideas and as I have three other stories just waiting to be written once I finish Triangle. But maybe some day...

Jenni - Thanks for reading even though you normally don't like death fics. And I agree, the public's reaction to Superman's death was awful, but not exactly unrealistic given their response to various things on the show.

cp33 and AnKS - Thanks! I had been considering putting a warning on Grandma Lois that tissues may be required, but when I gave it a final proof read before posting it, it didn't seem so sad. Maybe I was just too tired to notice.

Carol - Yeah, I'm not 100% sure what the public knows, either. For one thing, the existence of kryptonite is not common knowledge, so perhaps they just don't get how much pain he would have been in. I'm not really sure how much information was made available to the public at all. It may be that Lois knew about the cage only because Clark was in there. (Or Henderson let her know.) I did say the kidnappers did let it be known, but not to whom (and I never bothered to decide who it was).

Ann - Thanks! I'm not a big fan of the whole Lois always has to die before Clark thing, but I think it is true that Lois' death will have a smaller (or lesss noticable) impact on the world whereas clearly the death of Superman would be of international importance.

I really liked the idea of them having three children in this fic, although I'm not sure why and I liked the fact that all three are superheros. I'm not convinced that all the grandchildren are super-powered nor am I sure that all of them would use their powers in the way the children do, but I just can't see Clark and Lois' children going any other way.

Thanks for the comments on Clark's letters, too. I wasn't planning to write them at first, but then I really felt like it would be useful to see what it was that Cassie saw that changed her mind.

Patrick - Thanks!!

Top Banana
Top Banana
Like many, I'm not much of a fan of deathfic. However, when it is very well done, the result is fabulous.

This was fabulous.

Bob

Columnist
Columnist
You always write such amazing stories around losing a loved one. What was that one you wrote a few months ago? Well, no matter, you really have a talent for bringing out the emotions of these characters. I don't normally like deathfics of any kind, but yours are truly great.

A
Features Writer
Features Writer
A
Thanks, Bob and Beth!

You know, I would say I don't like death fic, too, but sometimes it does make a good plot devise. Although, not particularly good for cheerful stories.

E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
Very well written. (Although, if I were Lois, I would have quit going to the stupid memorials a long time ago, having my own personal memorial instead.) I found the letters from Clark to be a surprise. Somehow I imagined they would be love letters to Lois.

Elisabeth

A
Features Writer
Features Writer
A
Thanks, Elisabeth!

Yeah, I can see Lois quitting the memorials, but she was the best known personal friend of Superman's. Plus, it doesn't make for as good a story that way. smile

E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
It wasn't a criticism of the story. I'm just starting being a crotchety old woman at a young age. laugh I enjoyed your story.

Elisabeth

A
Features Writer
Features Writer
A
I didn't actually see it as a criticism. I think you are right - she may have decided to stop going and she'd be well within her rights to do so. (I probably would.)

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard