Previously:

“You aren’t a bad driver at all!”

“I was when I got back – I – “ she stopped, her face clouding over. It was so easy to just suddenly remember – it was like a ton of bricks falling on her, jolting her back into her more usual state of mind.

“I’m sorry,” he said. “I didn’t mean to –“ Break that wonderful magic spell – the one that made you smile.

“You didn’t do anything. Come on – lets go in. I have to say – I’m kind of nervous – I mean… Alice knows where I was, and… I’m afraid – worried – that she’ll want to talk about it. But I’m guessing Perry probably told her that wouldn’t be a good idea.”

Lois knocked on the door, and Alice opened it. She registered surprise at seeing them together, and then recovered.

“What timing - you both arrived at – “

Lois looked at Clark. Should we tell them we came together?

And now... the dinner party.

Lois was unsure about how to respond to Alice’s remark. She looked over at Clark to see how he felt, and he looked back at her, a slight smile on his face. He moved is hands in an almost imperceptible gesture that seemed to indicate that he was leaving it up to her.

Looking back at Alice, and grateful for the unspoken support that Clark had given her, she boldly decided to just blurt out the truth.

“Actually Alice, the reason we arrived at the same time is that we came together. Clark was good enough to come by my place first.”

“Oh – but you… you drove, right? That is your car – “

“Yes. I – I don’t get out much, you know – social occasions these days… kind of make me nervous – even with old friends like you and Perry. So I asked Clark to come with me so that it would be less awkward than arriving alone.”

“Oh. Okay!”

“I don’t mean to imply that you make me nervous or anything… it’s just that – “

”Lois, really. I’m sure it’s hard to… to get back into life. I can’t even imagine,” said Alice with warmth in her expression. “You don’t need to fret at all – no offense possibly taken from what you’ve just shared. Please – please come on in.”

Lois was immediately placed at ease by the sight of her former boss moving over to them, his arms outstretched.

“Lois, Clark! I’m so glad you both could come.” He gave Lois a quick hug after checking with her wordlessly and getting a slight smile of encouragement.

“Thank you Perry and Alice for inviting us,” Lois said. Then she turned sheepishly to Clark. “Uh – sorry. I’m answering for you, aren’t I. Kind of rude…”

He smiled back. “Not at all. You said what I wanted to say anyway.” You can answer for me any time. You can refer to us as ‘us’ anytime.

Alice stole a quick look at Perry and saw a quick look of bemusement flash across his features. They would need to talk about this later.

“How was traffic?”

“Oh –it was nothing.”

“Well – come on… Lois, can I offer you a glass of Cabernet?”

Lois looked at Clark quickly. “Oh – well… I drove over here… so – I shouldn’t.”

“Lois – you know, you can always ask me to drive,” Clark said easily, not trying to be pushy, but trying to let her know that he was willing to accommodate her any way she needed.

“Oh – but that would be kind of rude…”

“Not at all. Look – I have a natural tolerance for alcohol. A few glasses never affect me in any way…” He trailed off, and then looked worried. Did she already know this? Should he shut up?

“Oh… okay – well… that’s great then. If you don’t mind?”

“I don’t. I’m glad to oblige.”

“Great. I’ll be right back,” said Perry. “Alice, maybe you could come and get the crudités?”

Alice smiled at him and agreed and they disappeared into the kitchen.

Lois looked awkwardly in the direction that they had gone, and then turned back to Clark. She saw him looking over at the kitchen with an expression on his face that indicated that he too was suspicious about their dual departure.

“So… are they talking about us?” She joked.

“I – I – I don’t – oh - No. I wasn’t listening in, or anything- if that’s what…”

“No! I was just kidding. I’m sorry. I didn’t think you would ever do that. Um. At least not now that I know you,” she amended apologetically.

“I need to learn to take a joke. Sorry about that.”

“No – I realize I don’t really do it that much. I’m … I’m kind of … I don’t know… getting used to life, again, I guess. Guess I need to work on that humor thing.”

“I like it when you make jokes.” He smiled back. “And I like it when you’re serious too. In case you were feeling like you were more fun to be around if you were joking.” Stop it. You’re doing it again. Saying too much. Bending over backwards. It makes her uncomfortable when you do that.

“I was just… you know – wondering about it – they both left together… do you think that they think something – you know – is going on between us… “ She blurted it out quickly, and then continued desperately trying to sound casual. “You know – because we came together?”

“Well – I think Perry knows that we’re good friends now.”

Good friends. Great. “So you don’t think – “

“Oh – well – No – Perry would know better, you know… “ He trailed off again. “I feel weird talking about this, so please excuse me if I sound like an idiot.”

She smiled. “I should say the same.”

“You don’t. You never do. Sound like an idiot.” Ok. Stop. Stop right now. Before she figures out you’re in love with her.

“Thanks,” she smiled back, in what she felt surely was a goofy way. “I … I – I guess I thought maybe – because… they kind of looked at each other strangely earlier on – and… “

“I saw that too. So – yeah – maybe. But – you know – we can always set them straight, you know – if it makes you feel awkward.”

“No – no – no need. It’s okay. I’m okay.” I’m okay with people thinking I mean more to you than a friend. Really. “Does… Alice do this often?”

“Do what?”

“Try to set you up… “

“You think this is a set-up?”

She flushed red, realizing what she had just said. She winced at the embarrassment of it, and ducked her head. “Uh… I guess – probably not.”

He saw her reaction, and was confused. Was she upset? Embarrassed? What should he say to her?

“Lois – I think it may have initially been one, but once Perry explained things to her… well… I’m sure she realized how crazy the idea was. I don’t think she has any false hopes at this point.”

Lois felt her heart sink. Crazy. False hopes. Yeah. Right. So what am I doing anyway? Why do I care? Why does this hurt me? I can’t give him anything - so what do I expect from him in return?

“Oh… yeah. I guess you have a good point.”

Darn. Well – were you hoping she would declare her love for you? No. Well. Yeah. Kind of.

“She’s never done it before though.”

“Done what?”

“Tried to play matchmaker with me. “

“So…”

“You’re the first.” He realized what he had said, and flushed a bit red himself.

She felt the tingle of embarrassment at his unintentional double meaning, and quickly tried to cover up her embarrassment. “So – maybe she didn’t …”

“Actually – I think she did… intend it. It was in her voice, when she first invited me… a certain coyness – like she was planning something. “

“I wonder why – you know? Why she thought you and I … well… you know – you can have any woman in the world.”

Not any woman. Not you. Not the only woman that matters.

“Well – we do have a lot in common. And… “

“Oh – and there was that other Lois.”

“Yeah, I guess… “

“I mean – maybe she thought you…”

“Lois, maybe we just look cute together,” he said, trying to lighten the atmosphere, and also dig for more information.

She flushed pink at his words, and looked away. “Lois – sorry. I didn’t mean to upset you. I…”

“No! You didn’t. I – I didn’t even think about him… can you believe that? I guess he and I never looked cute together, come to think of it…”

He winced, and she caught it. “Sorry. See, if I let myself start down that path of thinking… but I don’t want to. I’m here to have fun. With you, and with them. And I wont let Lord Kal get in the way of that.”

“You can – you know. You don’t have to put on a brave front, If you are really upset – please… at least not for my sake, okay?”

“Only if you promise not to worry about what you say.”

“Lois,” he said, smiling sadly. “I can’t promise that.”

“Well… you know – neither can I.”

“Okay. I get it. Touché. How about we just both try? Makes sense?”

“Yeah. Deal.”

“Good.”

“Sorry we took so long, kids,” said Perry sounding not the least bit apologetic.

“No problem, Perry. We completely understand,” said Lois meaningfully.

He looked at her evenly, and then back to Clark. “Oh, so we’re that obvious?”

“Only just a little.”

“I’m sorry, we just…”

“Had to talk about us. It’s no big deal.”

“What’s no big deal?” Asked Alice.

“We’re busted, Alice. Lois figured out that we were gossiping.”

“Perry!” She flushed red at his audacity.

“Alice, it’s okay. Look. You probably want to know the real reason why Clark and I came together. I… I tend to have these awkward panic attacks sometimes – when I first see him – sometimes he reminds me of… not in anything he says or does, but just… you know – a trick of memory… and it can get ugly. So – I asked him to come by first so I could … get that over with.”

“Oh. Lois,” said Alice compassionately. “What you must have gone through.”

“Anyway,” said Lois, attempting lightness in her tone. “I didn’t have a panic attack. Not at all. I saw him as Clark, and that really made me feel good. Maybe there’s hope for me yet.” Maybe there’s hope for us.

“You’re hardly hopeless,” said Perry. “But – I am so glad that you didn’t react that way.”

“It’s been a year. You’d think I’ d be further along in getting back to normal – “

“Not at all. Most people wouldn’t have come nearly as far. Lois – you’re quite extraordinary,” insisted Alice. “You have a very strong character, and that’s what enabled you to survive living your own life again. I’m really amazed at you.”

She flushed red. “Thanks Alice,” she said, feeling awkward with their praise. “I just feel badly about Clark.” She turned to look at him. “You had to put up with my articles, and my antagonism and…”

“Lois, I would have felt like you feel, if roles were reversed. Your reaction was completely normal given your experience. I’m just glad we ended up friends.”

She looked into his eyes a long moment, lost for a few moments in his gaze. Then she forced herself back to reality. No point in making the Whites even more confused about what was going on.

“Me too.”

“Uh. Kids. Alice here has given me some pretty strict rules about talking about Luthor… and I don’t want to spoil a perfectly good evening with friends … but there’s something I really just need to tell you both, and then we can talk about more pleasant things. Okay?”

“What is it – you sound really serious.”

“This is serious, Clark. Lois. I hate to ask you this… but do you know anything about a fellow named Jason Trask?”

Her sharp in-drawn breath was answer enough. All eyes turned to her.

“Uh. Yeah. I do. He… he’s a government agent… and he’s rather anti-superman. In fact… he’s convinced that Clark here really is a front-man for some future invasion,” she said quietly, looking over at Clark apologetically. The topic was making her very nervous, and she was dangerously close to thinking about Lord Kal again. She forced herself to see Clark’s gentle eyes when she looked at him. Not Kal. This is NOT Kal.

“Is this okay to talk about,” Perry asked her gently, picking up on her turmoil.

She swallowed hard. “Yeah. It just… evokes…nightmares… but… it should be said. I think Trask is a threat to you, Clark. He thinks that there’s some magic rock out there that can kill you, and he is determined to find it. I never met with him in person, but he hounded me a lot when I was writing my articles…” She trailed off, and looked down, feeling really foolish again.

“How did you find out about all this?”

“Sources,” she grinned, suddenly mischievous. “You know – my sources. But… you know – many people think he’s a nut. Especially because of this magic rock thing. Why on earth would a rock hurt Clark? What are you supposed to do with it? Throw it at him?”

“Well… Actually…”

“Clark? Is… there such a thing?”

“Yeah. Actually there is. Perry is the only other person who knows about this, by the way.”

“How can a rock hurt you? I just don’t get it?”

“Alice, this rock is radioactive… and I think the rocks are chunks of my home world. It makes me sick on contact. Really sick – you know – lying on the ground, unable to stand up, unable to breathe… and that’s just the initial exposure. After a while, it would kill me.”

“Oh my god. That’s the ultimate in… bad irony, I guess… I mean – your own planet can kill you?”

“Yeah. Talk about salt in a wound, right? But – that’s how it is. I don’t know how Trask found out about this… but I … I guess if he knows, I need to start keeping my eyes open… if he ever found this stuff, and if he really thinks I’m a threat to earth, he will probably be trying to kill me.”

“What worries me is that he’s hooked up with Luthor. That can’t be good,” Perry interjected.

“What do you mean? He’s talking to Luthor?” Lois was aghast.

“Well – he has had several meetings according to my sources… and… “

“Clark!!” Lois’s voice was frantic. “This is very bad! You remember what Luthor said. He hates you. He wants you dead. If he gets this rock – you- you’re life won’t be worth much at all. Oh god. What are we going to do!”

Clark looked over at her, and his feelings of trepidation were overridden by the sheer joy of seeing her worry about him. She must have some good feelings about him if she was that worried.

“Lois,” he said quietly. “he’s always been a threat. But we can stop him… we just need to work at it.”

“Well…well…we should work together, Clark. I mean – you, me, and Perry. We need to stop him!”

“I think that’s a great idea,” said Perry. “Mad dog Lane will be an invaluable asset to our team!”

“Mad-dog?”

“Sorry Lois. I couldn’t resist. But you are a good reporter. One of the very best. I’m glad you’ll be helping us.”

“Absolutely. I can’t think of anything more important than stopping him. Especially now. Can you imagine? Clark – you need to promise us – you’ll be careful with him? Don’t take any chances! Don’t let him lure you anywhere alone, okay?”

He smiled at her. “I promise. I don’t underestimate him, Lois. I promise you that. I know he could be a big threat to me.”

“Okay… “ Her voice was unsure.

“Lois.. I mean it. I don’t think I’m … totally… invulnerable, uh… contrary to your… past… impressions” he said, an apology in his voice. Like he did. I am not that arrogant about my powers.

“He didn’t think anything could hurt him,” she said, her voice a tight whisper. “Are you saying that this think could have hurt him? All along we could have stopped him?”

“Lois… maybe… but – you know – it’s not like it was readily available to you.”

“There were… rumors… of a resistance movement… comprised of humans as well as Kryptonians. I wonder if they knew about this stuff – if they were… looking for it?”

“I hope so.”

“Me too,” she said, her voice ragged. “They deserve to be free again… you know? But back to the topic at hand. We need to form a plan of attack – “

“Lois… can we shelve this – just for one night?” Perry’s voice was slightly pleading. “Please? Don’t get an old man in trouble with his wife.”

“Perry!”

“Sorry… sorry… I guess I reacted strongly. I – I just couldn’t stand it… if he killed you – Clark…” Great. Wear your heart on your sleeve.

She cares! She cares! She cares! “Lois – please don’t apologize for caring!” She cares!!!!

“Okay. So – back to more pleasant stuff. I’d like to raise a toast to the return of Lois Lane.” Perry’s voice suddenly became hoarse with emotion.

“I’ll definitely drink to that,” said Clark.

“Me too.” Said Alice.

“And me,” smiled Lois. “I hope never to disappear again.” Her expression darkened a bit at that.

“Lois. I promise – if you do… I’ll find you.”

“I’m counting on it,” she said with a forced smile

Later, as they drove back home, Lois looked over at Clark.

“Sorry about the whole … over reacting thing.”

“Lois – really – you have no reason to apologize.”

“I guess… I just felt – so scared suddenly. So out of control. So helpless. I hate that feeling. I swore I’d never feel that way again… but if you were gone…”

“I couldn’t protect you from him. I know. Lois – I won’t let anything happen to me… I know Luthor is a threat to you - and – “

“No! Not just for me,” she protested. “I would – be very unhappy… if you were… killed.”

“Oh. Oh … well… thanks! Uh… same here.”

Just then, he pulled into her parking space.

“Oh – wow. That was quick.”

“Hey. I drove the speed limit!”

“I wasn’t implying … oh… a joke.”

“Lois… can I walk you to your door? I… not to… not trying to… but… just to make sure everything is safe for you… okay?”

“Clark – please come in for coffee. Please. I really want you to.”

“I wasn’t angling for – “

“I wanted to ask you anyway – and if you hadn’t asked to walk me to the door I still would have asked you.”

“Are you sure?”

“Clark. I enjoy being with you. I … I know I’ve reacted badly in the past, and I can’t even promise not to do so in the future… but when my mind knows that you are you, I have a really good time with you. I really hope you’ll accept my invitation.”

“Gladly.”

“Good.” She smiled. She forced herself to ignore her inner tremor of fear. This is Clark. He won’t hurt you. He won’t misunderstand the invitation to mean more. This is Clark. The safest man in the entire world next to your father and Perry.

He saw the quick fear come and go, and felt a surge of sympathy. But he knew not to mention it. Her demons were hers to slay. He could just hand her the swords she needed… and maybe keep them sharp for her, but mentioning her fears to her would only upset her.

She unlocked her door, trying to ignore the sudden apprehension she felt at him standing next to her – so tall, strong ... imposing... Clark. This is Clark. Not Kal. If it were Kal, he would already be hurting you. Her breathing was becoming shallow.

Clark felt her fear increase. He had to say something. “Listen. Lois? I… I don’t want you to…”

“Clark. It’s okay,” her voice was tight, and her answer was snappier than she would have liked. “Please – I know I’m having a minor panic attack, but I really want you to be here. Okay?”

“Okay,” he said meekly.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t’ mean to…”

“Please, Lois. No need. Can I help you with the coffee?”

“Did you want coffee? Or more wine? I’m assuming you can drink more and not feel it? I mean – I don’t know really… I’ve never seen… a Kryptonian drink.”

“Oh. Uh…well… I’ve had my youthful days of trying to get drunk… to no avail.”

“Oh… how disappointing that must have been.”

“It looked like everyone was having fun. In retrospect, it’s a good thing. It works in my favor, anyway- I like the taste of fine wine – or a really good single malt… and it’s good to not have to worry about it. I’d hate to fly into a telephone pole or something,” he said jokingly.

“Oh yeah- that could be pretty embarrassing.” She smiled, trying to keep with the joking.

“Wine is fine…” He said, suddenly feeling shy.

“Okay. Red fine?”

“Yes.”

“One moment then – please make yourself at home!”

A few moments later, she joined him in her living room, precariously carrying a bottle of wine and two glasses. He sprung to his feet and reached out for the wine to help her with her burden. The sudden movement made her heart jolt in terror, but she forced herself not to react.

“Sorry – did I startle you?”

“Uh…. Kind of… but…not your fault… his… fault… really.”

“Oh…” Startle. Scare, more like it.

“I’m trying to be honest about it – with myself… as well as with you. Is that okay?”

“More than okay.”

“I also… wanted to be honest about something else… and now that I’ve had enough wine to … uh… short circuit the voice of reason…”

“What is it, Lois?”

“Umm… it’s the whole date auction thing.”

“What about it?”

“I… I…. I hate that you’re doing it.” She blurted out suddenly.

“You… hate it? Why?”

“I… I don’t want you going out with … Carissa – or any of these other women who want you to go out with them.” She sat down opposite him, and put her head down in her hands. “I can’t even believe I’m saying this.”

“What… why don’t you want me to do this? I mean… is it because of him? You don’t want me dating anyone because of him? Or…. I mean – I understand he hurt you… but – “

“No! Clark – No! I’m not afraid of you hurting anyone. But… it’s just this… and I’m really going to hate myself for saying this… god… I should just shut up… I can’t do it. I can’t say it.”

“Lois,” he said, a slight hoarseness to his voice. “You can say anything to me. Anything at all.”

“I’m… I don’t want you dating anyone, Clark.” She winced at herself. Shut up!

“Lois… why?” He was trying very hard to keep the note of hope out of his voice. She couldn’t mean that she was interested in him. No. But then – what else could she be saying?

“I…. I … it sounds awful. Clark. I realize I act like a freak whenever you’re around… but… I… like you… and… I’m afraid that if you start dating someone, you might get serious… and then… there won’t ever be a chance… for… for us.”

“Us?” Hope flared in his heart and refused to be quenched down. “There’s an…us?”

“Well- I mean – if you … were interested in their being an us…and…” She trailed off, her face burning hot. “Oh god. Clark. I’ve done it – haven’t I? I put my foot in it…”

“Well… the only thing you’ve done… is… given me reason to… uh… be hopeful.” He admitted, feeling really shaky about saying it to her.

“Hopeful? You’ve… had… hopes? About us?”

“Don’t – don’t… please… don’t be scared,” he said, suddenly urgent. “I know… that… you might not ever… be able to… deal with me in a relationship kind of way… I do realize that…” He said, unable to meet her eyes at this moment. “But yeah. I kind of do have a crush on you… and… it’s not because of her, either… if that’s what you’re wondering. I kind of wonder if what I felt for her was just… an echo of what I could feel for you. But – I’m saying too much again. I don’t want to scare you, Lois.” His voice was pleading. Help me say this, Lois. Without hurting you.

“You… mean… you have feelings for… for me?”

“Yes.”

“Can you…look at me?”

“No. Ok. Yes.” He lifted his head so that their eyes met. She saw the fear and hesitation in his expression and her heart went out to him. His apprehension gave her strength.

“So… looks like we kind of feel the same here…”

“You – how can you?” His voice was awed.

Stung, she looked away. “You think…like Luthor thought? That I somehow… am addicted to… Kal’s brutality?”

“Oh god no. I’m sorry. I had no … that’s not what I meant. I’m sorry. I wasn’t… “

“No. I’m sorry. I guess… I feel that maybe it is a bit… insane of me to feel this way. I don’t understand it. All I know is that I feel awful whenever I think of you with any other woman, and I feel … proprietary about your time. I hated it when you were gone,” she admitted. “I can’t believe I’m saying all this. It’s like turning on faucet – the water just spills out.”

“I’m glad you’re saying it,” he said, his voice suddenly husky.

Oh god. He sounds… so sexy. Sex. I can’t go there… not now. Maybe not ever. I should tell him.

“Clark…. I don’t know… if – if – if – “

“It’s okay,” he said, his voice suddenly soothing. “I understand.”

“Maybe not ever,” she whispered. “So – I have no right to ask… you … to wait for me… to be in a holding pattern…”

“Lois - I want that. You aren’t asking anything of me that I’m not willing to do – to give. You want time? You got it. Even if – you never… can… I – my feelings for you are very strong – and even the chance that… we might mean more to each other than friends.. hell - you already do – mean more to me than a friend… that’s… that’s everything to me. As you can see… I’m kind of being honest here too… and afraid of it. I’m afraid of scaring you.”

“You aren’t.” She was lying. She was terrified. Terrified of the promises she might be making. Of the words he might be hearing.

“I wouldn’t ever… presume that you wanted anything more,” he said astutely.

“I …”

“That day you had that nightmare? I mean – that night… I – I … I heard you talking in your sleep. I might as well just continue this honesty thing.”

“Oh,” she said, shattered. My god. What did he hear?

“Lois,” his voice was pained. “Were you - was I hurting you in your nightmare?”

She flushed and turned away. “Well… Clark – it was a nightmare. Those things are never… real… just a churning together of all my thoughts and fears – “

“I just… I know – a nightmare is out of your control… but – I need you to understand- I’d never ever do that. There’s no provocation possible. You know? None. And… I need you to understand that. Otherwise … “

“Otherwise?”

“We can’t even consider this…”

“Oh. Yeah. Well… Clark…I – intellectually… I know it… and I’m sorry you heard that… I’m sorry I had the nightmare… I’m not really ready to talk about it… but …standing here with you… I do feel safe… I mean – I know you won’t hurt me in any way.”

“Good,” he said, relief evident in his voice. “I’m not sure what we’ve… said to each other really…”

“I guess I should clarify. I don’t want you dating anyone,” she said, with sudden firmness. “I want you to give us a chance…even if us is… not what an ‘us’ should be… I promise to work on healing… can you handle that?”

He smiled at her, and she felt herself get lost in that incredible smile of hers – the one that made her feel like the most important person in the universe. She felt her heart thudding in response.

“I can handle it.”

“I just… can’t believe… I said this stuff,” she said, suddenly embarrassed. “Promise you aren’t… just … horrified by all this?”

“Please don’t,” he said pleadingly. “I don’t want you to regret this. I’m … beyond happy that you said what you did. You are more courageous than I am. I do care about you- very much. And… I never believed this would happen.”

An awkward silence descended, and she realized she should make some kind of gesture. Move to his couch. Sit next to him. Come on. If you can’t even do that- how can you have any kind of exclusive relationship?

Her legs felt like lead weights, but she forced herself to overcome that feeling, and she stood up. Her heart was roaring in her head, and she felt very weak and dizzy. Ignoring the pounding of her heart, and the squeeze of terror around her lungs, she forced herself to sit next to him. She put her hands in her lap and looked at them, suddenly fascinated by the sight.

“So… so now what?” Her voice was very hesitant. Do you kiss me? Do I kiss you?

“Would… it would help if you looked at me,” he whispered back, trying desperately not to make it sound like a command.

She squeezed her eyes shut against the wave of terror. She felt like she was standing on the wing of a plane, preparing to jump. Just jump! Come on! Jump! She licked her lips, and then opened her eyes, and lifted her head. She looked him in the eye, hesitation and worry in her expression, and she smiled briefly- it was as sheepish self-mocking smile.

“Uh. So…I’m…making eye contact,” she said nervously.

“You… you asked … what we do now… and… I don’t know. I think we… just… spend time with each other – kind of like we’ve been doing… if it’s what we want to do… and…not worry about what we think we ought to be doing. You know?” He was trying to tell her that the physical aspect of their relationship was something far off into the future, but he didn’t know how to express it in words.

“But Clark… don’t you… shouldn’t we…”

“No shoulds… just… just what is. Okay?”

She was grateful for his sensitivity, and her next smile was actually genuine. She took a deep breath, let it out, and nodded. “Okay. But… let me just do this.” Do it! Just do it already. Jump. But I’m scared. Don’t worry. The parachute will open – but even if it doesn’t – he knows how to fly. He’ll rescue you.

She closed her eyes against the sudden wave of vertigo, and leaned in. Sensing where his lips were, she leaned in and brushed her lips against his. It was a brief contact, and then just as suddenly, she withdrew.

[tbc]

Silence is violence. End white supremacy based violence