Thanks again to the betas of the year smile .

Last time:
Lois

With one final tug, the jeans were off.

And now...

The boxers had to follow.

They were soaked, too, and clinging to his upper thighs. The thought of a completely naked Clark wasn't entirely pleasant, but there was no choice. I managed to toss a blanket over him and reached under it, carefully, to pull them off. They came off easier than the jeans did and I breathed a sigh of relief just as I realized my teeth were chattering more violently than before.

I managed to take my own shirt, shoes, socks and jeans off fairly easily. Well, easily compared to how difficult it was to get Clark's clothes off. I used the tongs to put a couple more logs on the fire that was now roaring. By the time I was done with all that, my wrist ached even more.

I hugged myself in front of it, letting the warmth seep in, but it wasn't enough. My legs were like rubber and I knew I wouldn't be able to stand much longer. My own bra and underwear were soaked, too, and they needed to come off.

Naked with Clark. I guessed there were worse things in life, but this certainly wasn't what I'd expected to be doing tonight. I pulled the rest of the blankets over him. He'd rolled so that he was facing the fire, allowing me to move his shirt and coat from where they'd been lying under him. He needed to be closer to the fire more than I did, I knew. I stripped the rest of my clothes off and moved behind him, arranging the blankets over the top of me and finally wrapping an arm around his chest, hoping that somehow, we'd warm each other up.

My last conscious thought was that I was sleeping naked with Clark before Lana did.

*~*11*~*
~~~~~
Clark
~~~~~

Someone was trying to wake me up, but I didn't want to. Lana and I were finally alone together. I didn't remember proposing or getting married, but we were alone in a mountain hideaway and I wasn't sure what exactly had happened, but I didn't think I was wearing any clothes and there weren't any clothes on her either. I could feel her soft, warm skin against mine, and I wanted to stay here forever with her in my arms.

I finally opened my eyes just a bit to see dark hair spilling over my chest and felt rough hands shaking me.

Dark hair?

Lois?

The events of the night before came rushing back to me. Well, I guessed it was the night before; I didn't know how long we'd been there. I remembered falling onto the steps of the cabin, but nothing after that. She must have taken my clothes off and started the fire I could hear crackling on one side of me.

But that voice was telling me to wake up again.

"Clark! Clark!"

I looked up to see Lois' dad kneeling next to me. The bright sunlight streaming in the window hurt my head and I closed my eyes tightly.

I tried to say something but nothing came out. I wet my lips and tried again. "Dr. Lane?" I whispered. "Is she okay?"

"She's breathing," he said grimly. "Your temperature isn't as low as I'd expect for either one of you, but still not great. Do you remember what happened?"

I shook my head. "Not really. I wasn't feeling well. I remember her saying we had to walk and it seemed like forever until I landed on the steps and I don't remember anything after that."

He nodded. "That's not unusual with hypothermia."

A groan made both of us look at the head of tousled dark hair still resting on my chest.

"Princess?" He shook her shoulder gently.

"Daddy?" she whispered. "Clark's so cold, Daddy. I don't know if I can get all the way to the cabin with him leaning on me."

Dr. Lane's face was grim. "Lois. Honey. Wake up."

Her head moved slightly off my chest. "Daddy?"

"I'm right here, Princess. Can you look at me?"

~~~~~
Lois
~~~~~

Daddy was here. It was going to be okay. I tried to open my eyes, but it hurt. "No. My head hurts. Everything hurts." I felt an arm tighten around me. Whose arm was that?

Clark!

"Clark. Daddy, is Clark okay?"

"I'm okay."

I felt the words spoken as I heard them. That must be Clark's arm around me and I must be on his chest. But where were his clothes? And mine?

I groaned again. "Are we naked?"

"I think so," the chest underneath me mumbled. "Any idea how that happened, Lane?"

I held a blanket against my chest and pushed up with my other arm, grateful that at least it seemed we'd been covered when Daddy showed up. I kept my eyes squeezed shut as I sat up, feeling for the couch. "Can you make sure that I didn't take all the blankets and that you're all covered up before I try to open my eyes again?" I asked him as I leaned against the furniture.

"Didn't get a good enough look last night?" he teased.

"I didn't look," I mumbled. "I put a blanket over you before I managed to get your boxers off."

I felt the blankets move and then Clark's arm brushed mine as he leaned against the couch too.

"You can open your eyes now, Aurora."

"Who?"

"Aurora. Sleeping Beauty."

I groaned. "Don't think that makes you Prince Charming, but at least I know you're going to be okay if you're calling me names again. Even if it is a nice one." I slowly opened one eye and then the other.

The fire was roaring and I knew Daddy had to have had something to do with that because I didn't think Clark and I had been in any shape to put any more logs on.

I looked up and saw my Dad's worried face. "Are we going to be okay?"

He nodded. "I called anyone I could think of as soon as I got your message, but all the emergency services were busy and couldn’t get here anyway. As soon as the snow died down, I got in the big truck and came up here. You two are actually in better shape than I expected from your message, Pumpkin." I could tell he was choking up. "I was afraid I wouldn't get here in time," he whispered.

"I'm okay, Daddy." I smiled at him through my own tears, knowing he was thinking about another time when he'd been too late – or thought he had. There was nothing anyone could have done to save Mom and Lucy and he knew that. "I'm still tired and weak and I think I'm going to be sore from carrying Paul Bunyan here to the cabin."

"Can you walk me through it, Little Girl?" he asked. He only called me 'little girl' when he was very emotional. He must have not slept all night waiting for the weather to clear enough to get up here. He looked tired.

I sighed. "I didn't realize how bad the weather was when we left Bremerton. I heard on the radio that I-43 was probably going to be closed soon and I didn't know how else to get to Metropolis. Then I saw a sign and knew we were close to the turnoff. The car got stuck in a drift about a mile and a half later. We put our coats and stuff on and walked the rest of the way."

"I think you carried me," Clark interrupted.

"Well, sort of, but you were at least half walking because I couldn't have carried you. You didn't actually collapse until we made in here then you landed on the floor in front of the fireplace. I built a fire, realized that there was no power. Called you." I couldn’t look at Clark as I mumbled through the next part. "Managed to get Clark's clothes off..."

"And you couldn't have left my boxers on?" he asked without looking at me.

"They were soaked. All of your clothes were soaked. All of my clothes were soaked. I added a couple more logs to the fire, took my clothes off and laid down by Clark with as many blankets as I could find without climbing the stairs to get any out of the closet, because I knew I didn't have that much energy. The next thing I remember is waking up a few minutes ago."

I hoped they wouldn't notice my face turning red. That wasn't entirely accurate, but I wasn't about to tell them about the dream I'd had – about kissing Clark, naked, in front of the fire... I shook myself mentally, not wanting to remember the rest of it.

"What, Princess?"

"Nothing," I mumbled.

"Well, you two are going to be fine."

"Good." I breathed a sigh of relief.

~~~~~
Clark
~~~~~

I tested my senses and realized that, while I wasn't in pain like I had been the night before, I couldn't see or hear anything out of the ordinary. And for me, that was unusual.

And had I really said something to Lois about starting fires with my eyes?

"Did you leave any clothes here last time we were here?"

I guessed Dr. Lane wasn’t talking to me.

"No." Lois answered the question.

"Well, the power's back on, so why don't you go take a shower and I'll see if I have some sweats or something you can wear and I'll put your clothes in the washer."

Lois must have agreed, because she moved.

I finally took the time to look around. 'Cabin' was a bit of an understatement. We were in a large room easily as big as the entire first floor of the farmhouse I grew up in, and probably a lot bigger, with high vaulted ceilings. On one side was a large kitchen with a big breakfast bar island and what looked to be granite countertops. A large table was in a dining area and the rest was filled with comfortable looking furniture arranged around the fireplace or looking out the picture window. I couldn’t see out it from where I was sitting but I was sure the view was spectacular.

About six feet to one side of the fireplace was a short staircase of no more than five or six steps and that was where Lois had disappeared. Six feet on the other side, the kitchen side, was a full staircase and open balcony on the second floor. I saw at least two doors up there and one set of large double doors under the balcony. I guessed there were several bedrooms around behind at least a couple of those doors.

"I'll see if I have anything for you to wear, too. At least until your clothes are dry." Dr. Lane came back from somewhere – I hadn't seen where, but all of the clothes that I'd noticed strewn about were gone so I guessed he'd put them in the washer.

"Thanks," I said as it finally sunk in that he'd walked into the cabin to find Lois asleep in my arms in front of a fire, naked. "Listen, sir..."

"Please don't 'sir' me, son. Sam is fine." He sat in one of the big chairs near the fireplace.

"Okay, Sam. I honestly don't remember anything about last night. Not after we made it to the porch. But, I promise, I didn't take advantage of your daughter."

Something flashed in my mind. Lois. Kissing Lois. But then the vision morphed and I was kissing Lana. I must have dreamed about her while we were sleeping in front of the fire.

"Well, I don't see how you can promise that, Clark. You don't remember what happened after you got here and neither does Lois, but for the record, I doubt either one of you had the energy to do any taking advantage of the other one."

I nodded as another flash of Lois flitted through my mind. I shook my head to clear it. "I'm sure you're right."

"Do you think you can walk?"

I nodded.

"Well, I won't make you climb the stairs, but my room is through those doors and there's a bathroom off of it. There's towels and stuff in there, if you want to go take a shower. I'll see if I can find some clothes for you and I'll leave them on the bed."

"Thanks."

I waited until he stood up and then I made sure the blanket was well-wrapped around me as I followed him into his bedroom.

~~~~~
Lois
~~~~~

I was sore in places I didn't even know existed, but the shower had helped.

There was something comfortable about wearing Daddy's clothes. There always had been.

The sweats he'd left on my bed were way too big, but that wasn't surprising. I'd have to remember to leave a change of clothes here just in case something like this ever happened again. Daddy obviously did. And he must not have thought to get some clothes for me out of the dresser at home.

At least he hadn't brought his girlfriend with him.

I sat on the bed wearing only the sweatshirt and pulled my legs to me underneath it. I stared out the window that covered nearly the entire wall. It was a winter wonderland and if we hadn't some so close to dying, I probably would have enjoyed it more.

The dream I'd had the night before came screaming back to me.

The cabin was incredibly romantic. I knew that. Daddy had brought Mom here on many occasions for a weekend getaway and he'd always said that when I was married, I'd be welcome to use it, too. But to dream about *Clark* like that...

He was a good-looking guy. And pretty nice most of the time. He had poor taste in women, but other than that he was a good friend.

My face turned red just thinking about how vividly I remembered that dream.

One thing was sure, I wasn't about to tell him what I'd dreamed about when I was sleeping in his arms, without any clothes on either of us.

I knew he had to be feeling better. The slight dip in water pressure while I was in the shower meant that someone else was running water too. I guessed it was Clark taking his own shower.

I wondered how he was going to explain to Lana that he'd spent the night in my arms and without any clothes on at that. The frosty atmosphere in our suite was almost hypothermia-inducing as it was; this was sure to make it rival one of the ice caps. On an extra cold day.

And I didn't care. I'd done what I had to do and if I had left him in the car, he'd be dead. She should be grateful.

I snorted. Yeah, right. Grateful. Cruella was never grateful to anyone for anything. Except maybe Clark.

~~~~~
Clark
~~~~~

True to his word, Sam left some clothes out for me on the large bed in his room.

The bathroom was something out of a magazine – slate tiles, steamer shower big enough to fit the entire senior class at Smallville High and large Jacuzzi tub. I could see why they'd bought the place.

Part of me was jealous. The only way I'd ever be in a place like this was because I was friends with a rich kid.

Lois didn't act like the stereotypical rich kid though. She was funny and smart. She wasn't working her way through college and probably wouldn't work over the summer like Lana and I would, but she wasn't spoiled either. She worked hard at her studies and would probably do an extra internship or something.

I wouldn't change my childhood for anything, but surely there was something to be said for growing up with money.

The sweat pants were too long so I rolled the cuffs but otherwise they fit fine. The T-shirt was actually a bit on the snug side. Sam Lane was taller than me, but apparently, my chest and arms were a little bigger.

I exited the room he'd been kind enough to let me use feeling better than ever. I walked over to the large window that filled almost the entire wall. I was right. The view was spectacular. I closed my eyes and soaked in the winter sun. Even though it was getting low in the sky and the window was in the way, I could feel it rejuvenating me. I still didn't know why or how, but I always felt better after spending some time in the sun.

"Hey, you look better."

I turned to see Sam walking through the room.

"I feel much better, thank you," I said with a smile.

"I see the pants are a bit long and the shirt a bit small. I was afraid of that."

"They're great. Really."

"Well, the clothes you and Lois wore here are almost ready for the dryer, but I don't think we're going to get out of here tonight. We probably could, but I've got a friend who has a snow plow who can get the car out for us tomorrow or the next day."

I nodded. "At least the power's back on."

"I think it came back on not long after you two got here, at least based on the time flashing on the clock when I got here. You two were probably asleep for about 20 hours before I made it here."

"We shouldn't have left Bremerton," I said shaking my head. "I didn't think the storm was supposed to come in until late last night."

"It came early. And was much, much worse than anticipated."

"I figured," I said with half a smile. "I really don't remember a whole lot about it though. I just remember my head suddenly hurt and I felt horrible." I shook myself. "I haven't really been sick since I was five."

"Really?"

I nodded. "I've just always been healthy. But that time, I threw up all over my dad in the back of the truck while we were star-gazing one night. That was it. I don't get headaches or fevers or anything. I probably could have handled it better if I did. Since I never get sick, I don’t know how to deal with it."

Sam nodded. "I'm going to go get some more firewood from outside..."

I stood up. "I'll help you."

"No, you're still recuperating. I'll get it. Would you mind to check on Lois for me while I do? Her shower turned off a little while ago, but she hasn't been out yet."

"Sure."

"Her room is up the steps on the other side of the fireplace by the window."

I nodded and headed over there. Sam disappeared under the full staircase and I walked up the short staircase. I knocked on the door, but there was no answer.

I slowly opened the door. "Lois?" There was no answer. Slightly worried, I pushed the door open further. "Lois?" I called again. When the door was open far enough, I saw her lying in the middle of a big bed in the middle of a large room. She was wearing what I guessed was one of her dad's sweatshirts and was sound asleep. Her legs were bare and even with the power and heat back on, she was sure to be cold. I saw a blanket lying on one chair and I picked it up. Laying it gently over her, so as not to wake her, I realized how close we'd both come to losing everything.

As it suddenly hit me, I sunk down onto the bed. I wasn't supposed to get sick. If I hadn't been sick, this wouldn't have happened. I could have gotten us wherever we needed to go, even if it meant telling Lois my secret. I knew I could trust her – she'd proven that when she practically carried me a half mile or more to the cabin. I remembered telling her to leave me and I remembered the stubbornness in her voice when she said she wouldn't.

It was enough to make me dizzy. I carefully laid down – just until the unusual sensation passed. I closed my eyes just for a minute to try to come to grips with what had happened. When I opened them again, there was a blanket over me and a weight holding me down.

I looked to see that tousled dark head of hair resting on my chest again. I really should get up and go somewhere else, but I didn't want to wake her up. A glance out the window showed that it was probably the middle of the night and I knew she needed her sleep. I probably did too.

Without really making a conscious decision to do so, I fell asleep in Lois' arms for the second night in a row.

TBC