Thanks, as always, to my FABULOUS betas - Alisha, Beth, Nancy, CarolynK.

Here we are... a couple hours early smile . See FDK thread for posting schedule.

Last time:
Clark

"Just tell me what happened with Joe the other day. I saw you hugging him."

She sighed. "He apologized. We're supposed to be going to the bonfire tonight, but I don't know that we're going to make it in time. I think we're going to be lucky to make it at all."

"What?"

"The snow."

"Huh?"

"Look out the window."

I opened my eyes slightly to see that we were in near white out conditions. "Can you even see the road?"

"Well enough," she said, but I heard her add 'for now' under her breath.

Great. I closed my eyes again; unable to keep them open any longer.

*~*10*~*
~~~~~
Lois
~~~~~

What was happening to him?

I had no idea, but I did know if I didn't get him somewhere warm soon, it wouldn't be good. I didn't think we could make it all the way back to Metropolis. No, I *knew* we couldn't make it all the way back to Metropolis, especially if they closed I-43. So what were we going to do? I squinted at the sign. Alberton - 6 miles. The cabin. If we were 6 miles from Alberton then the turn off to the cabin should be... I squinted again. Lane Lane. Dad had thought it was funny when he stuck the sign on the private road leading to the cabin when we were kids. I took the turn carefully. Okay, two more miles.

The snow was deeper here, even though there were trees on both sides of the road and it was only wide enough for one car at a time. There hadn't been any plows or salt trucks to help ease the drifting.

"Where are we?" Clark mumbled.

"On our way to Daddy's cabin. There's no way we'll make it home in this mess. It's only about another mile. Daddy paved the road, but it's still pretty bad and I'm not sure we'll make it all the way to the cabin. We may have to walk a ways."

"Getting out to walk in a blizzard probably isn't the best idea."

"No, but neither is staying in the car when we have somewhere to go. As long as we stay on the road, we'll hit the cabin soon. It's almost two miles from the turnoff and we've gone nearly a mile already."

It was another half mile before the car got stuck in a drift.

"Clark." I reached over and shook him.

"Wha'?" He woke up slightly.

"We're going to have to walk the rest of the way."

He looked out the window. "I don't think that's such a good idea."

"We can't stay here. No one knows where we are and we're only half or three-quarters of a mile from the cabin.

"Too far," he whispered.

"We don’t have a choice," I told him grimly.

"I can't make it. I don't know what's wrong with me, but I don't think I can make it that far." His head leaned back against the headrest.

"We have to try, Clark."

"No, someone will come."

"We're almost out of gas so we can't keep the heater going much longer and no one knows where we are."

"Where are we again?"

"Daddy built a cabin not too far from here when we were kids. I knew we wouldn't make it anywhere else but I thought we could make it there."

"We'll get lost."

"No. The road is pretty narrow, and it's surrounded by forest so if we hit the trees, we're going the wrong way. The road literally ends in front of the cabin steps. We don't have a choice," I reiterated.

He finally nodded. "Okay. Are there any blankets or anything in here to help us try to keep warm?"

"I don't think so. We've both got pretty heavy coats, hats, gloves, all that good stuff that we need to put on before we get out of the car, though."

"Yeah."

I sighed and reached out to feel his head again. He was burning up. That wouldn't last long once we got out of the car. The temperature had to be in the mid to high 20s outside. I twisted around in my seat and grabbed his coat. He'd shoved his hat and gloves inside one of the sleeves and I pulled them out. I yanked the stocking cap over his head. "You're going to have to help me with the gloves."

He nodded and held out one hand. Working together we got both of his gloves on and then I managed to get his left arm into his coat. I realized his seat belt was still on so I took care of that and he leaned forward so I could get the coat around him.

~~~~~
Clark
~~~~~

I could feel her breath on the side of my face. I still felt like I'd been hit by a ten-ton truck. She was muttering under her breath and I managed to help get my other arm in my coat. How far did she say it was to this cabin? She pushed me back against the seat and zipped the coat all the way up, pulling the hood over my stocking cap and tying it in front so it covered my neck and the lower part of my face. I leaned against the door as she put on her own coat and stuff. How was I going to make it to the cabin?

"Okay, listen. I don't want to have to walk around the car to try to help you out so I'm going to climb over you and go out the passenger door. Then I'll help you out, okay?"

I nodded. I heard her muttering something that sounded like curse words and then she was straddling me trying to get the door open. Despite the situation and multiple layers of winter clothing between us, Lana would not be happy to catch us like this. The door seemed to have frozen shut but she leaned against it until it opened. It left her off balance and she tumbled into the snow. I reached out to try to help her up, but she was already scrambling to her feet.

She grabbed my hand. "Come on." I managed to get out of the car, shut the door, and she put her arm around my waist while mine went around her shoulders.

"You're just the right height, Lane. We should do this more often," I told her.

"Yeah, Meriwether. Getting stuck in a blizzard is something we should do every year. It'll be like a tradition."

"I'm not Meriwether. I'm Clark."

"I know, Meriwether."

One foot in front of the other. That was all I could do. It was cold outside and this walk was going to seem like forever, I was sure.

I had no idea how long we'd been walking, but I knew I was leaning more heavily on Lois. Then I didn't lift my foot quite high enough and I landed face first in a pile of snow. I pushed myself up to find Lois had landed next to me.

She struggled to her feet then helped me to mine.

"Come on," she said. "It's not too much further."

"How do you know? All the snowflakes look the same to me."

"Because if it's much further, we're not going to make it."

I tried to take a deep breath but couldn't. I had been shivering for a while and I knew that was a bad sign. "Then leave me and go."

"I'm not leaving you."

"At least go see how far it is."

"I'll never find you again if I do that."

"Fine, but promise me something."

"What?"

"If I fall back down and don't get up, don't stay with me. Try to get there yourself."

"Don't worry, Casanova. I have no intention of dying because you won't move, so let's go."

We started walking again and I counted at least six more falls into snow drifts before she really said anything again. Each time it took us longer to struggle to our feet.

"We're almost there."

She sounded cold. "That's what you said last time, Ms. Conquistador," I reminded her weakly.

"I know, but we're at the clearing. It's not much further."

"Okay, McNally. Lead the way."

"McNally?"

"Yeah. Like Rand."

"Got it. Keep talking to me, Clark." She sounded weak, but not as weak as I felt.

"Why?"

"To help you stay awake."

"Wanna sleep." I did. I could fall asleep standing up right now but I knew what a bad plan that was.

"Not yet. Once we get inside, then you can sleep. Maybe. If there's power so we have heat. Otherwise, you're going to have to help me start a fire, Farmboy."

"Can't start a fire with my eyes right now," I told her.

"Of course not. But you were a Boy Scout right?"

I could feel her supporting more and more of my weight. I was going to knock her over before long. "Yeah. When I was a kid."

"See? You'll have to show me how to start a fire."

"You don't know how?"

"Oh, I know how, but since I've carried you the whole way, you get to start the fire."

"You're not carrying me," I protested with as much feeling as I could muster, which wasn't much. "I'm walking." I shuffled forward again as I said it.

"You're running the 200 meter dash, Michael."

"Michael?" I wasn't sure she could hear me, my question was so quiet.

"Michael Johnson. Holds the world record in the 200 meter dash. You're going to beat him."

"I'm sure I..." I tripped again, but this time landed on something solid and I wasn't face first in a foot of snow.

"See. I told you we were almost here."

Steps. I must have landed on the steps of the cabin. Now to get inside. I tried to stand up, but couldn't and collapsed again. "I can't move," I whispered.

"Come on, Clark." She tugged on my arm and sounded close to tears. I couldn't make Lana... no. I couldn’t make Lois cry. Lana wasn't here. Was she? "You have to help me out here."

I pushed up with one foot, trying to at least move myself up another stair. With Lois helping, I managed to make it to the top of the stairs onto the porch. I thought I heard keys, but that was the last thing I remembered.

~~~~~
Lois
~~~~~

I couldn't let myself cry. The tears would freeze and that would just make things worse. We'd made it to the cabin but Clark was still outside. Well, first I had to get my keys out. I really didn't want to have to break one of the windows in the door if I didn't have to. Daddy would understand, but it would also let the cold air in.

My teeth were chattering as I managed to drop the keys in the snow. I'd jammed my wrist again when we fell on the porch and just couldn't hold onto them. I smothered a scream. I was never going to find them. I jiggled the handle. Maybe Daddy had forgotten to lock it last time he was here. I nearly collapsed with relief with the knob turned. "Come on, Clark." He was up the stairs, now to get him inside. "You have to help me out here."

He managed to grab hold of the railing and I helped him stand up and we half shuffled, half walked inside. He wanted to stop, but I made him keep going until he finally collapsed in front of the fire place, where I wanted him. I was going to have to start a fire and soon. I hoped Daddy kept the fire starters stocked even this early in the winter. I didn't think he'd been out here in a while.

I thought about taking my gloves off, but I wouldn't have any more dexterity if I did at this point and the protection they offered against the rough firewood would be welcome. I managed to put four or five pieces in the large fireplace and breathed a sigh of relief when I found a fire starter in the bin. I pulled one glove off with my teeth – at least they weren't chattering as I did that – and, after a dozen tries with nearly frozen fingers, managed to light the paper. I slid it in between the logs and leaned on the mantle with a sigh of relief.

That was the first order of business.

What did I need to do next? Thermostat. Before heading to the hallway, I flipped the switch for the blower by the fireplace.

Nothing.

I flipped it again. And again. And again.

No power, but I left it on for whenever the power did come back.

I should have known. At least I hadn't made it all the way upstairs to the hall first. That was too far to walk if I didn't have to.

I looked at Clark. He wasn't unconscious, but he wasn't entirely conscious either. His jeans were soaked through – so were mine. That wouldn't do.

I pulled my other glove and my coat off to find that my shirt was somehow soaked. I had no idea how that happened with my ski coat over top of it.

Okay, no power. No thermostat to worry about. So next on the list.

Daddy.

Had to let Dad know where we were. I hoped the phone lines weren't down too.

I called the house. No answer. Left a message.

I called his office. No answer. Left a message.

Called his cell phone. Straight to voice mail. "Daddy, it's me," I managed to squeak out. "Clark and I got stuck in the storm. We made it to the cabin, but there's no power and Clark's sick and I'm afraid he's hypothermic and I'm probably not far behind. I've got a fire going but the car's stuck on the road to the cabin somewhere and almost out of gas anyway. Can you send someone to help? Please." I barely managed to get the last word out, but hung up the phone. I leaned back on the couch. I had to get out of these wet clothes and I had to get Clark out of his.

Lana would love that. I mentally rolled my eyes – physically doing so would take too much energy.

I started as I thought I heard something upstairs. There was a loud cracking noise and then a crash. A limb must have fallen outside – or nearly a whole tree from the sound of it – and that must have been what I heard. It was enough to get me moving.

"Here goes nothing," I muttered.

Before I started on his clothes, I grabbed all the blankets I could find. I was sure there was more in the bedrooms, but that was too far away, and there were several lying on couch. That was odd but I didn't question it.

I don't know how long it took, but I managed to get the top of him half undressed. As much as I hated fumbling with the tiny buttons, I was glad I didn't have to try to pull it over his head. One arm was completely out of his shirt. I'd have to get him to roll over to get the other half out.

He did that for me, flopping onto his back. I breathed a sigh of relief and pulled the other arm out of the coat and flannel shirt – which was as wet as mine was.

I wished desperately that I had something to wrap my wrist as it throbbed more with nearly every movement, but I didn't have anything handy.

Jeans.

Had to get the jeans off him.

Boots first. That was safer. I managed, with fumbling fingers, to get his boots and then his soaked socks off.

Why was he wearing a belt with his jeans? I managed to get it off and undo the button and zipper. I tugged until they slid down his legs.

Well, that was one question answered. Boxers.

With one final tug, the jeans were off.

And now...

The boxers had to follow.

They were soaked, too, and clinging to his upper thighs. The thought of a completely naked Clark wasn't entirely pleasant, but there was no choice. I managed to toss a blanket over him and reached under it, carefully, to pull them off. They came off easier than the jeans did and I breathed a sigh of relief just as I realized my teeth were chattering more violently than before.

I managed to take my own shirt, shoes, socks and jeans off fairly easily. Well, easily compared to how difficult it was to get Clark's clothes off. I used the tongs to put a couple more logs on the fire that was now roaring. By the time I was done with all that, my wrist ached even more.

I hugged myself in front of it, letting the warmth seep in, but it wasn't enough. My legs were like rubber and I knew I wouldn't be able to stand much longer. My own bra and underwear were soaked, too, and they needed to come off.

Naked with Clark. I guessed there were worse things in life, but this certainly wasn't what I'd expected to be doing tonight. I pulled the rest of the blankets over him. He'd rolled so that he was facing the fire, allowing me to move his shirt and coat from where they'd been lying under him. He needed to be closer to the fire more than I did, I knew. I stripped the rest of my clothes off and moved behind him, arranging the blankets over the top of me and finally wrapping an arm around his chest, hoping that somehow, we'd warm each other up.

My last conscious thought was that I was sleeping naked with Clark before Lana did.

TBC