Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Lieta Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
Great part, loved the end scene at the dance. More different nuances too =) I also liked the phone call to Superman. Methinks they should think up a nickname for him if he's going to answer the phone...

Also yay for more posts =D

Sara "Lieta"
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I have just a few minutes to say this, but I read it and really liked it. You really make me wonder about Chad now. The way you wrote Lois's memory of Chad was lovely. She really seemed so in love with him, but clearly their relationship had ended badly, one way or another.

Clark's flashbacks are also really interesting. He had suppressed those past memories so deeply that he had really forgotten them? Wow, that's interesting. They were really traumatic to him. Of course, he felt responsible for two people's death. So those suppressed memories are the reason why Clark has been so reluctant to become Superman?

You certainly add so much creepiness to the entire Bureau 39 business. Shudders!

Of course Clark's game of evasion with Lois irritates me, but it was just like that in the TV show, too. It will be interesting to see if Lois knows Clark's secret when this fic is over!

Ann

A
Features Writer
Features Writer
A
Lieta and Ann,

Sorry - my online time the last two days was incredibly limited, but I do appreciate the feedback!

Lieta - You know, I may have to steal the nickname idea. I have at least one other phone call already written - but Clark finds it less confusing. It never occured to me to have Superman use a nickname.

Oh, I just had the best idea for how the nickname thing comes about! (Still no idea for a nickname, but I'll think of something.) Look for this in a future chapter. (Probably very future since I'm more likely to put it in what I'm working on now (chapter 34) than something that's nearly done.

Ann-

She really seemed so in love with him, but clearly their relationship had ended badly, one way or another.
Well, I will have to agree with this even if I won't give other hints. Things do end badly. The flashbacks in this story thus far explain differences between the Lois and Clark we know and the ones in this story. And since the differences aren't good, bad things had to have happened to explain the differences.

The difference between the Clarks is obvious. The Lois difference is a bit more subtle, as she's basically just a bit more "Lois". She's more guarded about her feelings, less willing to trust, etc. As Clark is actually more open with Lois, since he's not hiding a secret identity, we see Lois being a bit more back and forth in her treatment of Clark. One minute she feels really close to him and the next she's backing far, far away.

The Chad story is a pivotal reason why, although there were earlier flashbacks that set the stage for this slightly, too. The Lois/Claude story here is a bit more drawn out and while we never knew enough about what happened in the show to be sure, I think it was more hurtful here. (It's in chapter 10 if you want to see it, but basically Claude and Lois have a bit more of a relationship before he turns into a cad than I got the impression they did in the show.)

And yes, Clark did really repress those memories - both guilt over the two people who died, but also over what happened to his father. He still helped out while he traveled, but of course, those rescues were colored with his earlier attempts and also seen as negative since he had to move all the time. He's helped out once or twice in Metropolis, too, but once it stopped being incidental things when something happened right in front of him and instead he tried to fill in for Superman, he nearly had a panic attack. He didn't know why, but basically, this Clark associates a lot of bad things with using his powers for good.

It's interesting to me, because his life from then on was very much like the Clark we know, but he really views it all so differently. Even when the memories were repressed, they colored his thinking. But of course, there's also the fact that Martha and Jonathan did not repress what happened and so while they don't talk about it, they are more cynical, too.

It will be interesting to see if Lois knows Clark's secret when this fic is over!
Well, you had to know I wouldn't tell you that. smile

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi anonpip!

Thanks for for clearing Chad up in the FDK to pt 19.

Lois looked away, trying to find the right words. Finally she turned back to Clark, “Don’t all relationships end poorly?”

There was a sheen of tears in her eyes and seeing the glimmer of them, Clark used the hand he had on her arm to pull her close to him. He wrapped his arms around her, whispering, “I guess. Until you get married.”

“Not all marriages,” she said into his chest. Clark tightened his grip on her.

Lois stood there a moment, lost someplace between thinking about Chad and realizing that she felt comforted and safe in Clark’s embrace. A moment more though, and she felt in control of her emotions. “Let’s walk,” she said firmly as she pulled out of Clark’s embrace.
huh and awwwww

Great update and I have no idea just how different GGGOH is going to turn out. There is the whole steakknife thing, Wayne calling Lois on her cell and so on...

Something I forgot to ask the last time. Did you set Triangle 10 years into the future? Considering how you put Lois and the Kents through their paces with the cross dressing and the technical stuff, only pushed 10 years further down the road, it was extremely deliberate and I have no idea if that's a clue or not blush

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
L
Lieta Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
lol, the nickname isn't terribly original of me ~.^

"Clark2" "CK" and "L" in of Yvonne Connell's Fear of Discovery series

"CJ" in Chris Carr's Extraordinary Man series (though that char actually went by CJ in his own world)

"Kal El and Wanda" in Dandello's Plane Storm and "Jerome and Joanne" in After the Storm

"CK" in Wendy Richards' Carbon Copy

Those are the ones I remember off the top of my head ^.^'' Would think Kal El would be out cause of Superman's not wanting to change the timeline (though would Clark catch it... *shrug*) Others... hmm... get in to Lois making a connection or not... or just having Superman pick a name for himself, lol. I just pictured Perry, Jimmy or someone calling Clark's apartment to leave a message and Superman answering "Hi, this is Clark" when "Clark" is supposed to be somewhere else.

Sara "Lieta"
A
Features Writer
Features Writer
A
Thanks, Michael!

Well, it was deliberately set in the future but for no better reason than I liked the email exchange with Lois and Martha. It came to me at a time when I was having trouble writing at all and then I was pleased enough with it that I decided, why not? It's a different universe, things can happen a little later than they did in the show.

Because it was not done until later, I'm placing this in my head at late 90s. This is because early in the story Lois checks her email from home using a dial-up connection. I decided it was believable that Lois would have dial-up and the Kents would have wifi. My in-laws (who live on something pretty farm like) had wifi before lots of people I know did (not me, but that's cause hubby and I are kind of into stuff like that). Basically, they didn't have much by way of dial-up options, so when cable moved into the neighborhood and offered high speed access, they took it. And then being techie geeks like us, they got a wireless router.

But no real clues as to other things going on in the story. Sorry!

Also, while I did give Lois a cell phone, cause... well, if the Kents can have wifi, she can have a cell phone wink , she actually has one in the episode as well. It's huge, of course, but she does have one and Wayne calls her on it (only she answers the call in the show).

Lieta - I know the nickname thing has been done before, but it doesn't change the fact that I didn't think of employing it here.

And now I have to re-think my great idea for how the nickname thing comes about as you came up with it, too. grumble

L
Lieta Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
lol oops great minds think alike?

Sara "Lieta"
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
I did miss a part.

“Did you have another nightmare?” Lois asked.
This is a more caring Lois than first season Canon Lois. She notices things about people, not just news bits.

Mrs. McCurty...Tory is all the family she has left. If someone was to threaten him…”
Nicely done.
“The records at City Hall certainly make it seem like there is no record of Wayne using pesticides.
Why would city hall have records of someone using pesticides at a point in time when NO ONE cared about folks using pesticides?

Even today it isn't City Hall that would be tracking that detail. EPA pesticides enforcement
He heard a sigh of relief on the other end. “Sorry, Clark. I just… Well, I can’t really answer the phone saying ‘This is Superman’, can I?”
Laying the groundwork for Lois trapping them? Are you planning on a time when Clark walks into view in the newsroom just as the phone at Clark's connects and Visiting answers in a voice Lois knows is Clark's?

It would be nice if this version of Lois figured out there is something really strange going on.

Hmm, ten episodes till vatman.
  • The Man of Steel Bars
  • Pheromone, My Lovely
  • Honeymoon in Metropolis
  • All Shook Up
  • Witness
  • Illusions of Grandeur
  • The Ides of Metropolis
  • Foundling
  • The Rival
  • Vatman

Framework4
A
Features Writer
Features Writer
A
Thanks, Patrick!

I have to start by apologizing if this doesn't make sense. I've only had about three hours of sleep and probably should not be typing (if the fact that it took three attempts to turn off my caps lock is any indication). But I need something to do while I wait for my hotel room to be ready, so I guess I'm subjecting you to my sleep deprived brain.

This is a more caring Lois than first season Canon Lois.
Hmm... I don't know that I would have called her more caring, but that's as I didn't see first season Lois as not caring so much as somewhat cold. Lois did not want to care about Clark, so she pretended she didn't. This Lois is similar except that she is closer to Clark than first season Lois and so sometimes she forgets to not care. If that makes any sense.

Why would city hall have records of someone using pesticides at a point in time when NO ONE cared about folks using pesticides?
Good point. Also about the EPA being the one to track that. But I'm going to go with the fact that in a small farming town, City Hall might keep track for the EPA. I'm making that up, of course. As for why they would do so when no one cared about its use... Well, I'll have to get back to you on that when I have more than three hours of sleep.

Laying the groundwork for Lois trapping them? Are you planning on a time when Clark walks into view in the newsroom just as the phone at Clark's connects and Visiting answers in a voice Lois knows is Clark's?
Well, no, I wasn't trying to set a trap here, I just needed a way for Superman to answer the phone. smile

But additionally, I don't think Lois could catch them this way. She knows Superman lives with Clark so if she called there and Superman answered with "This is Clark" right as she saw Clark, she'd probably figure out he was trying to cover. I think if someone were to find out, it would have to be Jimmy or Perry (or I guess, some other minor character).

Interesting, actually. This story is not going to on long enough for her to appear, but it's interesting to think about what Mayson's reaction to that may have been. Poor Clark - she would not have been as understanding about Clark's letting Superman hide out at his place as Lois has been.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard