Print Thread
#55240 09/16/08 02:49 AM
C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
I completely understand why Lois decided to stay away for the night, though I'm not sure it was the wisest decision. On the other hand, maybe it was because it was certainly a wake up call for Clark, though I'm doubtful he has a clue why Lois is so mad. He sees Robin as 'family' even though she's not - a long lost cousin or something. Robin doesn't see him that way and Lois is quite aware of that, but Clark is still such a naive farmboy in that sense.

I'm glad Clark finally said something to Martha and Jonathan and invited them into the discussion. They all knew why M/J were there [iirc, none of them actually said that] but it was good that he finally acknowledged it.

More soon please.
Carol

#55241 09/16/08 06:28 AM
Columnist
Columnist
Another interesting part, Terry. Lois' introspection made me so sad in this chapter. She's really hurting. But it's good that both of them are willing to make the effort to work through their problems.

And Robin continues to be a problem. I'm not sure if learning about the Code of Hammurabi is going to help in this case.

#55242 09/16/08 07:03 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Realistically, I think it's reasonable and necessary for Clark to work with Robin. Someone who has superpowers but has no moral compass is very dangerous. Whether he, with the help of Dr. Klien, his parents, and possibly Lois, can change her additude is debatable but they need to try.

I think if Lois looked at the siutation rationally, she would know this. The problem is she isn't thinking rationally. (Not that I blame her on that.) She's insecure about her relationship with Clark. Furthermore, if they want their marriage to succeed, they need to spend time together. Clark can't do that if he is spending most of his time working with Robin.

So, in the end, it's a no - win situation. They can let a superpowered girl go without a moral compass or any guidance at all, or they can seriously address the problem with their marriage and try to save it.

Still, I love the fact that this story addresses real issues. A lot of people have a tendency to believe Lois and Clark's marriage will always be perfect because their soulmates,etc. That's unrealistic. And a real loving marriage is a willing to work through issues, not that the couple never has any.

#55243 09/16/08 08:31 AM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Yes, I think that Clark needs to spend time alone with Robin. Because of the unique similarities (if I may use such an expression) between these two Kryptonians, Clark just has to assume some responsibility for her. And I don't blame him for being genuinely interested in her as a fellow survivor from his lost home world.

But I think that Clark isn't taking his responsibilities to Lois seriously, and that is a humongous mistake.

She remembered the days just before she'd learned about his dual identity, when he'd run out on her as she was trying to bare her soul to him. She had come within a whisker of shoving him out of her life forever. He'd nearly succeeded in completely alienating her, and only the stark and stunning realization that the two men in her life were actually one had kept her from ending the relationship, even after he'd revived her from suspended animation.
There is something deeply moving and also melancholy about this. The sadness is about how it is so hard for us to really change our behaviour. In the quote above, it was Lois who had been bodily frozen, but it was Clark who had been frozen into a pattern that he was unable to break. It was Lois who had to see through his lies and break both of them out of their destructive rut, because Clark, who was the one most responsible for locking them in their repetitive pattern, was unable to get them out of it.

And Clark is still frozen. Still unable to see what he is doing to the woman he loves. He still lives so much of his life around Lois instead of trying to live it as much as possible together with her. He treats her too much like an obstacle on the road. She is the hurdle that he has to leap or sidestep so that he can concentrate on the things that she can never be a part of - his super rescues, his teaching of Robin.

I very much appreciated how you described Martha and Jonathan in this chapter. In their own way, they ignored Clark just as much as he had been ignoring Lois. Maybe they can make him understand what he is doing to her. Maybe they can help him break out of his rut.

Who can help Lois? Her parents won't be much help, I suspect. And I'm wondering about the title of this fic, The Bombshell. Who or what is the bombshell? Have we already met the bombshell? Is it Robin? Or are we still waiting for the bomb to go off? Is Lois or Clark going to make a fateful decision?

I'm looking forward to more of this fic, even though I am a bit apprehensive.

Ann

#55244 09/16/08 03:17 PM
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Clark is often completely out of his depth. He has very poor boundaries with Robin/Kara.

Framework4
#55245 09/16/08 04:59 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I can relate to Lois.... running away is the easy way out... and it can lead to darker places... so it's not healthy... but then she's not in a good place... and Clark isn't helping.

Robin is just making things worse (especially for Lois's insecurity), and the fact Clark isn't seeing the problem it is causing, or even trying to corner Lois to talk.. understand.... is making it even worse.

I don't think Robin is going to take going 'back to school' well. I can't see her having the patience for theory.
She has already been moulded into what she is... I don't think even Superman can change her into the 'perfect' superhero mould.. in fact, I think he'll be pushing it to turn her into a morally sane person.

The worry of the plane crash still lingers on my mind... she had to have something to do with it... and I really don't think she values human life... so it has no consequence to her.

Terry... your portrayal of Lois brings back painful memories for me of what it is like to live under the shadow of Post-Natal Depression (and the illogical decisions and frustration that goes with it). It's interesting to see someone we normally assume to be so strong and confident brought to her knees by the complicated issues surrounding and drowning her.

I am really enjoying this, albeit a bit worried about what Robin has the potential to do.

Please keep it coming!!

"He's my best friend, best of all best friends
Do you have a best friend too
It tickles in my tummy
He's so Yummy Yummy
Hey you should get a best friend too" - Toy Box

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard