Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Lieta Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
Wow..... there was a key methinks. Poor Clark =( No wonder he's so much more leery of going public... and if the government knows that much about him how much does the presence of Superman as an obvious separate individual confirm their invasion theory?

Great chapter though =)

Sara "Lieta"
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
For some reason I never got started on this fic, but I gave this part a chance. I liked it. Given how much I care about Lois, my favorite part of this part (gaah, can't we talk about chapters instead?) was the rather ominous memory-sequence where Lois remembered a date with a guy who had wanted to teach her to two-step. And the way Lois seemed to react to her own memory makes me suspect that maybe this Chad guy had tried to rape her.

Clark's dream, where horrible people were going to do horrible things to Clark just because he was an a-l-i-e-n, was utterly chilling. I was so relieved when it turned out to be just a dream, and at the same time I was shaken and unable to let the dream go, just like Clark must have been.

But when I read this part - chapter - I was thinking to myself, Why can't Clark take Lois into his confidence? Why must he make his own situation even more complicated by trying to keep Lois in the dark at the same time as he is fighting for his life at her side against, I suppose, Bureau 39?

Ann

A
Features Writer
Features Writer
A
Wow, Lieta and TOC, you guys are fast!

Lieta - I'm thinking of the guys after Clark being like Trask - a rogue part of Bureau 39 going off on their own. They happened to be in Kansas, saw footage of what happened during the fire in Kansas City and went after Clark. It all happened so fast, they never bothered to tell anyone else about it - thinking that if they bagged the alien on their own, they'd get all the credit. So, it doesn't really change what people know about Clark Kent here, so much as Clark's reactions to Superman and things of that nature.

Ann - Thanks for trying out this chapter! Um... as for the Chad thing, I think I'm not going to tip my hand and tell you whether you are on track or not. You'll just have to keep reading and see. :p

Although, I will tell you that I have a sort of spin off of this story started that is a lot more about what happens with Lois and Chad (although it's a different universe so things are not quite the same). That one is also probably much more your speed as it is very Lois focused (since the story is first person from Lois' POV, it pretty much has to be). But I won't be posting that for a while - at least not until I get where I'm going with Chad in this fic.

As for Clark's dream - I'm not sure if this wasn't clear as you haven't read the previous parts or because it just wasn't clear, but that dream was actually a repressed memory. There's a series of them weaved through earlier chapters, but in short form, this Clark became something like Superman right after he learned how to fly, but as a teenager, he was stupid about it and didn't wear a costume. (He didn't tell Martha and Jonathan he was doing this. When they found out, they tried to encourage him to stop or at least be smarter about it, but being a typical teenager, he thought they were worrying too much.) He ended up helping out at a fire in Kansas City and got caught on film running through the fire to save someone.

As for why Clark can't take Lois into his confidence - well, that would kill a lot of interesting stories, wouldn't it? wink

Seriously, the reason is pretty similar to the one on the show - he's insecure. And since there is a separate Superman in this universe (not present in this chapter), watching Lois interact with him is even harder, since at least when he's Superman she's acting that way with him.

I hope you keep reading...

L
Lieta Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
hehe I told you in the last FDK I stalk the boards on Saturdays ~.^

And thanks for the extended info =)

Sara "Lieta"
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Delightful part. Another fine flashback to help us round things out.

I laughed a lot on your twists of the canon.

I love where you are taking this.

So you do realize at this rate you will need to show us a 'Verse where Clark was successful at being a "Superboy" ?

Framework4
A
Features Writer
Features Writer
A
Patrick - Thank you! I have to say I was feeling a little uninspired by this fic the past few weeks, so I'm glad you like where it's going. (I took a short break from writing it and that seems to have helped a lot, so there shouldn't be any breaks in posting because of this.)

I had not considered another story where Clark is successful as "Superboy". That's a great idea! Of course it has to fall in line. The next story is definitely going to be the Lois story I mentioned to Ann (both as I'm really excited about it and as I've already gotten the first few chapters written). But since I view that as a spin-off from this (although very different), I can see having another one with a young Superman. Hmmm... pondering what that would do to the lives of Lois and Clark. I think this definitely has some legs and I may even dash some ideas down now, but it will be awhile before you see it.

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Very interesting part. Very interesting. It sure sheds light on Clark's past. Lois' flashbacks are quite interesting, too. Do I need to be worried about Chad or is he a harmless nerd?

Michael smile

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I enjoyed this part as well. It's so interesting to see the events of the series from a different perspective. I'm insanely curious as to what happened in Clark's past that makes him so different from 'our' Clark, so I've enjoyed the flashbacks immensely. RFO, I guess.

One thing I haven't been able to reconcile is the reason that HG Wells thinks sending 'our' Superman to this Clark's universe is a good idea, without cluing him in on what's been different in Clark's life. Superman thinks and acts (mostly) like everything will be the same as it was for him, but he's not the same person. I expect something to go horribly wrong very soon, but I guess I'll have to RFO - again. grumble

BJ

A
Features Writer
Features Writer
A
Thanks, BJ and Michael! A few comments...

BJ - Maybe my impression of Herb is different from everyone else, but I always viewed him as a bit scatterbrained. My thinking here is that he knows that their histories are different, but it never occured to him that he had to tell Superman that. Their lives were mostly the same aside from this one thing (even though it's pretty significant), so he said they were the same.

He may also have assumed that Clark would tell Superman. The fact that Clark repressed these memories and they are hard to talk about (and potentially somewhat embarrasing - won't Clark feel even worse about himself if he finds out Superman had the same experience but was better able to deal with it?) just never occured to Herb. This is precisely the type of "subtlety" I can see him missing.

Michael - I'm still not willing to answer questions about whether Chad is someone to be worried about or not. Although I'm not sure it will take more than a few more chapters for it to be fairly clear.

I will shed a tiny bit of light on him, though.

This is not the first time he's been mentioned, sort of.

In Chapter 15, Superman mentions his wife's Chad, briefly:

He could suddenly understand the tones Lois, his Lois, used when she talked about the Clark from the other universe. Her words were always deliberate, as if she was trying to shield him from knowing what she really thought, and she spoke softly, in hushed tones, a voice she typically reserved for when she spoke about Chad – the only serious boyfriend she had had before Clark who had not behaved appallingly and broken her heart.
But, of course, as with Clark and Superman, the two Lois' have had a different past. And as the Clark flashbacks highlighted these differences, the Lois/Chad flashbacks will do so as well. Sort of - since we know so little about the original Lois' experiences with Chad. Expect it to take to the end of the story (another 25-30 chapters) before you really know enough about Superman's wife's relationship with Chad to understand all the differences.

BJ - I'm glad you really enjoyed the flashbacks. They have been my favorite part of this story to write. BTW - forgive my shorthand ignorance, but what is RFO?

Sorry, I know I moved back and forth between your comments. My poor excuse is that I'm tired (it's about 11:30pm here) and I just got home from work. But I wanted to write now as I may not be online with enough time to do so again until Wednesday.

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Originally posted by anonpip:
BJ - Maybe my impression of Herb is different from everyone else, but I always viewed him as a bit scatterbrained. My thinking here is that he knows that their histories are different, but it never occured to him that he had to tell Superman that.
You might consider having him miss the difference completely.

Since he dropped Visiting in at the arrival in Metropolis point he may have believed all the differences spawn from that point onward and completely missed the events in Clark's youth!

Framework4
A
Features Writer
Features Writer
A
Patrick - I had considered that as well. I didn't decide between the two as the result is the same. Herb is not going to help with their perceptions of the sameness of their lives.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard