#54966 08/27/08 05:03 AM
C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
Jenni -

I love that Clark's Spidey sense is tingling. [Okay, I'm mixing superheroes and I don't really know enough about Spidey sense to know what makes it tingle, but it sounded good at the time...]

And o/~Matt's got a girlfriend, Matt's got a girlfriend!o/~

Had to get the singsongy thing out of my system. I do like that he's got something of a normal life given everything else.

So... Jimmy and Lucy eh? wink . Hey, it's been known to happen! I do hope Jimmy finds happiness. I like him too much for him not to.

I must say that I do hate we have to wait till Wednesday for more frown but that's the way it is I suppose. Though you certainly wouldn't hear me complain if you did manage to get something together sooner than that wink .

Carol

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I really, really liked this chapter, Jenni. You write Lois and Clark so very, very well. For the record, I love seeing them when they are older together, provided the writer can do them justice. And you can, indeed! thumbsup

Clark's eyes followed the strange man as he disappeared from view. There was nothing remarkable about the stranger -- average height and weight, thinning hair -- just a middle-aged man in an old gray-and-maroon raincoat and dark trousers, paying his respects to the dead and injured. Even so, Clark would swear the man's heart rate had quickened when they'd bumped into each other.
Don't forget this man, Clark! Please! Commit him to memory. He's the crazy killer, you know!

Yet, Matt wasn't giving up so easily. “What if I meet you at Uncle Jimmy's? If you have to drop Sara and Vicky off, you'll be a while, anyway, right?” He moved closer to his parents, his voice dropping to a whisper. “I'd really like to spend some time with Melissa. I didn't think I stood a chance with her, but ...” He blushed a little. “I'd really hate to mess this up ... and I promise I'll be at the meeting on time.”

Clark glanced over at Melissa. She was a pretty girl with dark hair and big, serious eyes that reminded him of his wife. But Melissa definitely looked shyer than Lois. Shy and sweet. Clark shook his head silently. He hadn't realized his son was taking an interest in girls. Maybe Matt was more ordinary than he had expected.

He caught Lois' glance. She was smiling almost with relief and nodding her head.
How sweet! I love seeing how understanding Lois and Clark are when it comes to Matt, and I love how you make us share their mixed emotions, though primarily happiness, at the fact that their son has found a girlfriend, and a sweet girl at that. I love how Melissa reminded Clark of Lois.

Clark stepped behind his wife to shield her from the icy wind, smoothing his hand up and down her back. “I worry about him too, honey. But I think he'll be fine.”

She looked up at him over her shoulder, her eyes searching his features. “You think?” she whispered. “He's putting on a brave front, pretending nothing is wrong.”

Clark schooled his expression to exude more confidence than he really felt. This was his son, and he couldn't help obsessing over Matt's welfare. “Just like you used to do.” That memory brought a smile to his face and a warm sense of assurance. “Matt will get through this, just as you did. Lois, you brought him up well. You took care of him and gave him the love and strength to do this job. You still do.”

He leaned closer, adding gently, “You sustained Superman and you'll be there for our son. I've never doubted that for a second.”
Wonderful. I love it.

The family had almost made it to the car when Clark felt a tingle run down his spine and he turned quickly, searching. Behind him lay only the dim and nearly deserted park. He frowned. Had it just been a trick of the light, or had there been someone standing in the shadow of the trees, watching them? If only he had the benefit of his X-ray vision, but that was one power which hadn't yet returned.
Eeeeech!!! That's so chilling!!! shock Carol called it Clark's Spidey sense, and although I've never read the Spiderman comics or watched the movies, I do know about Spiderman's able to sense danger. You wrote Clark's sudden premonition so well. Just please don't let Thomas do anything to Sara and Vicky while Clark, Lois and Matt are at Jimmy's place, okay??? wildguy

Lois pulled into the neat little parking area in front of James' condo, the complex he'd lived in since he split from his most recent girlfriend over a year ago. It disappointed Lois that her friend had never married, his relationship with Penny Barnes having been the closest he'd ever come to marriage.
Ah, poor Jimmy. What has he done to me to make me so completely uninterested in his love life? I was probably damaged by reading too many inane Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen comics.

“Mom looked hot?” Matt had seen the pink suit, and while he thought it was cool, it was clear by his wide eyed stare that he had difficulty imagining his mother wearing it.

Clark flashed his wife a broad grin. “Yes she did!”
So funny! I just hope Matt is comfortable thinking about his mother in these terms.

Come back soon with more, Jenni!

Ann

Columnist
Columnist
This was such a feel good update. Clark was so fatherly with Matt and the girls. Loved how he teased Lois about Ultrawoman.

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Ohhh.. another part... alas over too quickly...

I loved the way Lois and Clark 'manage' their children. It is very clever... and written incredibly well.

I also loved the banter about Ultrawoman... perhaps Clark should pull some of those old newspaper clippings out.

The 'spidey sense' on Clark.. is it a bad omen... is this man now going to focus his evil on the Kent family? You have me worried.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... looove your writing style, and adoring this story.

But this part was too short goddamit! wink

I want more, more, MORE!! dizzy wink

"He's my best friend, best of all best friends
Do you have a best friend too
It tickles in my tummy
He's so Yummy Yummy
Hey you should get a best friend too" - Toy Box
A
Columnist
Columnist
A
I'm a little slow in catching up, but I loved this part! More accurately, I should say, I loved the writing and the characterization. The bad guy still gives me the creeps. The way you write Lois and Clark and their family is so great - very multi-faceted, just like life.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Nice way of having Matt distracted.

Nice addition to the story. More soon please.

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
R
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
R
I love this part. The banter was wonderful. You could feel their love for one another and all the love the family shares

robinson
Columnist
Columnist
Hi everyone,

Thank you for your comments. I think I'm getting the message that most readers like the family stuff, so I've made a 'note to self' to include lots more! wink

I hope you like my reminders to myself more than Jefferson Cole's in S4 of L&C. goofy

But, I also think one of my strengths is in A-plotting, so I hope you'll forgive me if I play to my strengths.

Thanks again to everyone who commented, and if some readers were too busy with real life to leave comments (I know how that goes), just keeping reading is good.

Yours Jenni

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard