Next Thread
Print Thread
sunrei Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Roses or rotten tomatoes can be thrown here. wink

October Sands, An Urban Fairy Tale featuring Lois and Clark
"Elastigirl? You married Elastigirl? (sees the kids) And got bizzay!" -- Syndrome, The Incredibles
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I have only read the first part of this, but I really like it. I know that most people here sided with Clark when he came to Lois as Superman after having been turned down by her as Clark. I know that most people here thought that Lois deserved to be rejected by him in turn, and I can understand their feelings. But because I spent years and years reading the comics and just waiting for him to come clean with her, my patience with him wore thin. More and more, I put the blame for what went wrong in their relationship on him. And that is why I so appreciate reading fics which point out Clark's obligation to be honest with the woman he professes to love:

"It all happened so suddenly. I never expected you to confess your love for me... well, not really. And earlier when I asked for Superman, it was kind of a reaction... I guess. I was really hoping that you would tell me the truth... to show me that you were serious enough to throw all your insecurities to the wind, because maybe then I would be able to the same," she stammered, aware that she was talking in circles and not getting to what she really wanted to say.
Yes indeed, how much is the love worth that he has confessed for her? What will he do for her because of his love?

"Somehow in my mind, I expected you to just come out and tell me. That your love for me was powerful enough to make you break your own rules. I felt that maybe I needed to push you. That if I pushed you into a corner, you would confess."
Is his love for her strong enough to let her see him as the man he really is? Is it strong enough to let her really know the man he asks her to love and to marry?

"I was asked to love half a man. I needed you to share with me the whole one. I... I needed you to tell me..."
If he asks her to love only half of him, how can she marry all of him?

"I needed you to show me that you loved me more than your secret. I needed you to show me that the super man that I am in love with was really the only man I have ever truly loved... Clark Kent."
But he didn't tell her. He may have loved her, or thought he loved her, but he didn't trust her. He asked for her love in a deceitful way. No, Clark, you don't deserve her love. Not now, not until you are ready to respect and trust the woman you profess to love. Not until you are ready to fully share yourself with her.

The butterflies that had been circling his stomach earlier that night all turned to rocks as his breathing ceased.

She knew.
That sinking feeling. He hadn't meant for her to find out like that. Not so that she could tell him that his proposal had been deceitful, and not to be taken seriously. Not so that she could say that he had been deceitful, and not to be taken seriously. Clark, you have some real soul-searching to do now. How much do you really love Lois, and how much of yourself are you willing to share with her?

Great vignette, Sonia! I'll read the other parts too, but right now I don't have time for it.

Ann

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Okay, I've read part two. Interesting.

(Ehh... I know... 'interesting' is what Spock of Star Trek used to say when someone pointed something out to him and he really didn't think it was that big a deal. When he thought that something really merited his attention, he would say 'fascinating'.)

[Linked Image]
Interesting.

Oh, but this vignette was interesting. Really.

A wise man once told him, “When faced with a truth that you are unprepared for, you have two options. Either you grab the boar by the tusks and step face first into your destiny, or you hide behind a false sense of security.”

Unfortunately, at the point when this situation confronted Clark, he was unable to think objectively. In fact, he wasn't able to think at all. Instead of using the old seer's words to propel him bravely into the unknown, he clung to his instinct.

“I don't know what you're talking about,” he uttered weakly after a long hesitation.
razz :rolleyes:

Let me strangle Clark with a pair of kryptonite gloves. Just a little!

[Linked Image]

Hey Dad, don't strangle me so hard, OK?

Lois turned quickly on the couch, putting her back to him so he would not be able to see her reaction to his denial. Tears sprang to her eyes for yet another time that night and she began to tremble with anger. She'd had enough.

“Um… Superman, could you please leave?”
Good, Lois. Tell him to leave. Don't waste your time with him if he won't shape up! By the way, I like your cool politeness.

“Um… Who are you calling?”

“Not that it's any of your business, but I owe Lex an answer.”

The mention of that name caused all of the pain of the evening to resurface. She'd given that whole speech about her love for Clark and Superman, and now, when she found out that she couldn't have them both, she decided to go for Luthor.
Oh no!!!! Lois, it's never a good idea to say yes to Lex Luthor!

For the second time that night, Clark found himself breaching Earth's atmosphere. His mind whirled as he battled his annoying inner voice. She was ready to go jump in the bed with a man she didn't love after claiming to love two other men!

<Not two other men. One- you.>
I love this. Clark's bruised ego tells him that Lois is a shameless woman whose behaviour is incredibly bad. But then his conscience pops in and reminds him that she isn't in love with two men, but with one man, him!

And she was putting herself in danger that even he wouldn't be able to protect her from. He couldn't realistically interfere with a marriage could he?

<She doesn't know he's dangerous. You haven't told her what you know.>
But if Lois chose to put herself in danger, that was her own business, right?

Oh! Wait! He had never given her the information she needed to understand that Lex Luthor was dangerous!

I love those conflicting emotions and thoughts!

With that thought, he made a midflight 180-degree turn and flew back in the direction of her apartment.
I love that 180-degree midflight turn!

And Clark proceeded to kidnap Lois... well, under the circumstances it was just as well.

&#8220;You were right,&#8221; he tried again.

&#8220;About what?&#8221;

&#8220;About me.&#8221;

&#8220;What about you?&#8221;

&#8220;That I'm Superman!&#8221; he exclaimed getting frustrated with her lack of interest.

Lois glanced over her shoulder. &#8220;I can see that,&#8221; she said pointedly.
razz

At her pained look he remembered his earlier denial and mentally kicked himself. &#8220;Okay, but I promise, that was the only time.
Yeah, yeah. Why don't you tell me that story about Santa Claus too, Clark?

[Linked Image]

This guy is Santa! For real!

&#8220;You've lied to me every day that I've known you&#8230; and you were the only one I had left to trust&#8230;&#8221;

&#8220;No, no. I didn't lie,&#8221; he started.

Lois was incensed. Even when he was claiming to be honest he still lied! Talk about adding insult to injury. &#8220;Cheese of the Month club?!&#8221; she demanded.

&#8220;I donate the cheese- I really don't eat that much&#8230;&#8221;

&#8220;Ha! Library books? Returning videos? I'm supposed to believe that you really did those things?&#8221;

Clark shrugged sheepishly and looked at his hands. &#8220;There were times when I would have to check them out and then turn them in at the same time&#8230;&#8221;
eek eek jawdrop

You serious, Sonia? You mean he did belong to that Cheese of the Month Club and he did have shipments to pick up? And he did run to the library to check out and turn in books so that he wouldn't have to lie about going to the library?

Well, anyway, Clark told Lois about Lex, and Lois was devastated. Mostly because she had not seen through Lex's polished exterior.

&#8220;Angry with you? Yes. But that's not a reason to run and jump into another man's arms, is it?&#8221; She let out a sharp laugh, obviously on the brink of tears again. &#8220;Clark, you were right. How could I have any clue about love?&#8221;

He stepped forward and placed a hand on the side of her face, using his thumb to wipe away the single tear that had fallen with her last statement.

&#8220;Lois, no&#8230; I love you. I love you and you love me. That's more than I could have ever hoped for. I was wrong. I was wrong to ever doubt that you knew how you felt. I shouldn't have lied. I'm so sorry,&#8221; Clark murmured, trying to reassure her. &#8220;I panicked, and ran from the best thing that could have ever happened to me.&#8221;
Ahh, poor Lois! But I loved how Clark comforted her. And indeed, she did allow him to comfort her:

love you. I will tell you that every time I get the chance. I'll keep saying it until you can trust it enough to be the foundation for your feelings for me. I couldn't change the way I feel about you even if I tried to. Let me show you?&#8221;

Without waiting for her answer, he tilted his head and leaned closer, bracing himself with a hand against the wall behind her. He was centimeters away from her lips when she blinked, spilling unshed tears.

&#8220;Clark,&#8221; she cried.

&#8220;Shh. Don't think, don't talk, just feel. We'll figure this out together.&#8221;

He leaned closer and pressed his lips lightly to hers, feeling them soften as she returned the kiss. He pulled back seconds later, unwilling to move her too quickly into this new realm of relationship. She needed to trust herself first, and he couldn't rush it.

She reached up and touched his lips with her fingertips as she stepped backwards through the doors of her apartment.

&#8220;Good night,&#8221; she whispered.

&#8220;I'll be back tomorrow,&#8221; he said.

She nodded and gave him a tentative smile. Encouraged, his face lit up with a grin. &#8220;And the day after that. And the one after that&#8230;&#8221;
Awww, how sweet! Yes, she loves him all right. He drives her mad sometimes, but make no mistake, she loves him so much!

And now I'm looking forward to part three of this!

Ann

sunrei Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Thanks Ann! Your image-enhanced posts are always great fun. Fascinating.

...And yes, I want you to believe that Clark was really a member of a Cheese of the Month Club. The best lies are those that are really true, lol.

~Sonia

October Sands, An Urban Fairy Tale featuring Lois and Clark
"Elastigirl? You married Elastigirl? (sees the kids) And got bizzay!" -- Syndrome, The Incredibles
Top Banana
Top Banana
Loved both parts 1 and 2. Looking fwd to part 3. thumbsup thumbsup dance

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I really liked this little story. It turned out much better then the real episode and it seems more believable too. Good job! Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
L
Columnist
Columnist
L
I really liked the way this trilogy went... but I want to know what happened with Luthor!!!

But on the actual stories themselves, I love how you brought out underlying issues with the characters and actually had them addressed! Lois' hang-ups with relationships and Clarks immaturity (and/or naiveté?) about his dual identity are addressed beautifully in the final part in the progress gained. I also loved picturing Clark fulfilling all his excuses... it somehow fits... and brings to my mind him crossing his fingers at the end of House of Luthor when he retracts his declaration of love.

Sara "Lieta"
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
This was a really sweet ending. This was by far my favorite part:

&#8220;I guess, what I wanted to say&#8230; what I'm trying to ask is, um, if you'd consider maybe&#8230;&#8221; He blew out a breath. &#8220;&#8230;If you'd want to&#8230;&#8221;

&#8220;Marry me,&#8221; Lois inserted breathlessly, so soft and forceful that it came out as something between a whisper and a cough.
Oh, so sweet! I always love when she asks him to marry her, not the other way round.

&#8220;Lois?&#8221; Clark's mind was once again tripping all over itself, but for a whole slew of new and delightful reasons. He studied her face, her eyes, the lines on her forehead, and smiled. Suddenly the anxiety was gone and in its stead he was filled with irrational amusement. &#8220;I was going to ask if we could start dating.&#8221;

Lois bit her lower lip, and to his relief appeared to be trying to hold back a laugh of her own. &#8220;Yeah. That's probably what's comes before&#8230;&#8221; She paused and waved her free hand in the air, &#8220;...the other thing.&#8221;

She may have slipped and brought the "M' word into the conversation, but that didn't mean she wanted to say it again.
The 'M' word!!! I love how Lois is so scared and skittish, and yet so desperately in love with Clark all the same.

Well, this was a very sweet trilogy, Sonia. And welcome back, by the way. You must know I loved your story where Clark had a 'son', and... well, I'll say no more for those who haven't read it!

Ann

Top Banana
Top Banana
Really sweet ending. Oh wait, Ann just said that. Well, it was. smile

I did like the different take on why Lois asked to see Superman after Clark's declaration of love. I really enjoyed the entire premise of this story. I don't think I'll ever be able to listen to one of Clark's lame excuses again without thinking of what he will end up doing to make sure that the excuse turns out to be true. rotflol

Bob

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard