Thanks to Beth, Carol, Mary Beth, and Mark who all contributed to make this much better than it was before it graced your computer screens.

From Chapter 15

“Well, you won,” Superman said good naturedly. “Although next time maybe we should stick with normal rules.”

“What? No flying?” Clark asked, “or no dribbling upside down?”

“You dribbled upside down?” Martha asked.

“Well, we couldn't dribble the normal way, Mom,” Clark explained as if it were obvious. “What if someone saw the ball falling from the sky? So, we threw it up and caught it instead.”

Superman laughed, “It was fun, except when Clark almost hit a satellite.”

“Hey! That was your fault. You bumped into me right as I was aiming.”

Martha laughed at their antics. It was clear the experience had been good for them both. They seemed closer and more relaxed than she had ever seen them together. “Well, we have some ice cream inside if you boys are interested.”

“That would be great, Martha,” Superman said. “But I think Clark and I need to shower first.”

“Yeah, I feel all grimy,” Clark said.

“That's what it feels like to work up a sweat, son,” Jonathan said as he joined them outside.

“Well, I don't like it much,” Clark said.

“Neither does anyone else,” Martha teased them.

Chapter 16

The newsroom was quiet. Even the night crew was gone at this time of night. Lois, however, fueled by anger and self-righteous indignation, was pounding away at her keyboard.

How dare they?! It was so presumptuous of them to discuss her life while they kept theirs a secret from her. It would serve them both right if she wrote a blurb for the paper exposing Superman's living arrangements.

For now, though, she was focused on the story she and that no-good farmboy had been working on. She had two versions nearly finished – one which was a hundred percent accurate, consequences be damned, the other which had almost no bearing on reality at all, but would leave her father safe.

Clark and Superman knew nothing about her life with her father. They had no idea what her relationship with him was like. If he had gotten himself mixed up in something that was dangerous, that was his problem. Just because the two buttinskis thought she should not write this story, did not mean she should not.

What did they know anyway?

They flew home slowly. Clark was not sure why Superman was flying slowly, but he knew why he was doing so. He could not distract himself from the fact that once they landed, he needed to go see Lois, try to fix the mess he had made. It was not a conversation he was looking forward to.

Still, his obsession over his opening line was cut short when Superman asked him the question he had been dreading nearly since the moment this man had come into his life. “So… this isn't a criticism, Clark, just a question. But you helped out in other places before Metropolis, right?”

“Um hmm,” Clark replied, his mind still half on his forthcoming conversation with Lois.

“So, I'm trying to determine why… well, why you didn't try to do something like become Superman here. It's really not a criticism, I'm just curious.”

Clark said nothing. The last few weeks had brought the two men much closer than they had been, but some things were sacred. Some things did not need to be shared. This was one of them.

It was just a fire, but it had raged out of control and three people's homes were in danger. His father had asked him not to go, to leave something so close to home to the authorities, but Clark had gone anyway, telling his father to stop worrying, that nothing could hurt him.

He knew his father thought he was behaving like a typical teenager, thinking he was immortal, but the truth was that he was not a typical teenager and he really did seem to be immortal.

He had made one small concession to his parents' worries, and put on dark clothes, but he still made no attempt to conceal his face. This was closer than the other rescues he had been doing in the past six months, but it was still in Kansas City where no one knew him. There was no need to worry about being recognized.

Clark arrived back home feeling jubilant. The rescue had been a success. Between Clark's help and the firefighters, everyone had successfully gotten out of the burning buildings and with the exception of one house, most had damage that was easily fixable.

His parents, however, looked ashen when he came back in the door a few hours later. “What's up?” he asked them.

His father motioned towards the television where the local news was playing. On screen was an image of him running into the last of the homes to need help. In another concession to his father, Clark had not flown at all, and did not see what the big deal was. Anyone could run.

“Who is the young man who seems impervious to fire?” the news reporter asked as the footage showed Clark walking right through the flames in the entranceway with a young child in his arms.

“Dad,” Clark started. “Stop it. It's nothing. They have no idea who I am. And who around here watches the eleven o'clock news anyway. Everyone is asleep so that they can get up early in the morning.”

“Clark,” his father started, but Clark cut him off, tired of the argument.

“Dad, I'm fine. Stop worrying. Nothing can hurt me.”

It took less than twenty four hours for him to realize how wrong he was, how very vulnerable he could be.

Clark almost fell in mid-air as the memory came flooding back. He had been remembering bit and pieces of things that had happened before this, but until now, he had stayed away from this memory. And he vowed not to think of it anymore now. He would not think about it. He just would not.

“I just didn't,” Clark said, his voice tense.

He could see Superman flinch a bit at the tone, knew he was ruining the mood of comradeship they had built with their basketball game, but he would not discuss this. He could not do it.

“Just go away,” Lois shouted through the door. “I'm not done being angry at you.”

Clark felt his spirits lift slightly at this. “So, you will be finished at some point?” he asked.

The door in front of him flew open.

“I don't know,” Lois said, her tone indignant as she glared up at him. Beneath the anger though, Clark could see the tell-tale signs of tears. Her eyes, clear now, were red rimmed. Her cheeks had a few random tear tracks that she had not successfully washed away. The sight made his gut clench.

“I'm sorry, Lois. I'm so sorry. I just… I'm sorry I didn't tell you about Superman. I should have. I know. But I'm not sorry about butting into the thing with your dad. I'm worried about you.”

Lois' expression softened, but just slightly. “It's my decision,” she said.

“I know,” Clark said, his tone contrite. “And I'll support you no matter what.”

“And from now on, we're on equal footing. If you are going to butt your nose into my life, you're going to have to let me in on yours,” Lois demanded.

“You want in on mine?” Clark asked, surprised.

Lois rolled her eyes at him and Clark knew he had sounded too needy.

“Forget it, Farmboy. I'll see you tomorrow. At the office.”

With that, the door was closed.

“An ordinary hit and run?” Perry asked them, his tone and stance making it clear he did not believe them.

“The police think so,” Lois stated carefully, her eyes avoiding Perry's.

“Yesterday, you told me it was murder,” Perry stated.

“I was wrong,” Lois said hoping that Clark would stay silent. She knew he would support this, knew this was the decision he had wanted her to make, but he was still green. She was not sure he would not do something stupid. She was still angry at him and so had chosen not to discuss this with him this morning, but now she was regretting this decision. She should have briefed him on what she was doing and what she expected from him.

“You agree with her take on this?” Perry asked Clark.

“Of course,” Clark said and Lois felt better. He had sounded firm and sure of himself.

She heard the door slam behind him and slowly let the breath she was holding out. Lucy was out spending the night with Erica, and Lois was torn between feeling glad that Lucy had missed this argument and sorry that she was alone for the fight tonight. It had been bad, really bad.

Lois was not sure where things could go from here. This time it sounded permanent, like this time he was not coming back.

The house was quiet now, but eerily so. Mom would come back, she always did, although, the chance that she would be able to make dinner or even stand was unlikely. But Lois doubted Dad would come back.

He did not say anything before he left. Lois had seen him packing, had peered into the bedroom, had seen the open suitcase. It was bigger than the one he packed when he fought with Mom and he took off to visit his lady friends. This one was much bigger, and he packed all his ties. He usually only took one or two.

But he said almost nothing to Lois. Even on his way out. Lois had not moved away from the bedroom door fast enough, and when he started to leave the bedroom, she was not able to make it back to her room. So she sat on the couch and quickly turned on the television. But all he said on his way to the door was, “Lois, turn that racket down!”

How could he leave and not say a word to her? Not even say goodbye?

“Dad?” Lois called as she entered the office.

“Lois!” her father looked happy to see her. Lois was not sure when their relationship had taken on this hue. Her memories of her father were always of him walking out, of her missing him, wishing he would spend more time with her.

Somewhere along the way, though, that had changed. Now she was the one who kept her distance and her father seemed to crave a relationship with her. It was too late for that, though. If he wanted a relationship with her, he should have built it years ago. Now, too much had happened.

“Dad, I know what's going on with the fighters,” Lois said softly.

She could see her father's shoulders slump and for just a second, she felt badly for him. Her father had always seemed so strong - aloof, but strong. Now, though, he was showing his age and he did not look the slightest bit strong.

“Don't worry about me, Lois. I'll be okay,” her father said softly.

“I didn't write it,” she said, her voice nearly a whisper.

“Didn't write what?” Sam asked, clearly confused.

“I… The story,” Lois qualified. “I was supposed to write a story about Allie's murder. I didn't write it.”

“But…why?”

“Because…” Lois broke off, at a loss for words. “If I wrote it, if I had reported the truth… They may have come after you, Dad. They might have killed you.” Lois was horrified to find herself crying again, and even more horrified when a second later she felt comforted by the feel of her father's arms around her.

“You didn't need to do that, Lois,” he whispered into her hair. “I would have understood. It's your career.”

Lois pulled away, feeling annoyed now. “That's not the most important thing in my life, Dad!” she said, hearing herself parroting back Clark's words but not caring. “There are more important things than getting ahead at work.”

Sam looked at the ground, chastened. “Thank you, Lois,” he said, his voice soft. “You're right. There are more important things in life. I wish I had realized that sooner.”

“Are you okay?” Clark asked Lois as they packed up at the end of the day. His tone was soft, contrite. He was worried about her. She had been quiet all day. He knew some of that was residual anger at him, but suspected much more of it had to do with her father.

This had been a trying story for her and he could see that. He wished she had let him in, let him help her work through things, but that was wishful thinking. They were not that close. No matter how strong Clark's feelings for Lois were, they were not that close.

Superman had said that he and Lois were closer now than Superman had ever been to his Lois in the first year, and it felt sort of good to have that benchmark. In reality, though, it did not matter. He was not as close as he wanted to be, and even if they were closer than Superman had been to his Lois, this Lois was still half in love with Superman and showed signs of attraction to Luthor. It was clear that Clark came in third (assuming there were not others he was not aware of). Even now, when Lois was still annoyed at Superman for what she perceived as gossiping about her, he was fully aware that Superman was still ahead.

Lois nodded, still distracted by the conversation with her father. “I'm okay,” she said. Then she seemed to remember where she was and looked at Clark more clearly. “Thanks for backing me up with Perry this morning.”

Clark smiled, “That's what partners are for.”

“So, we're partners now?” Lois asked.

“That's what Perry said,” Clark said, trying to keep his tone even.

“I know, but I mean, we're accepting that?” Lois asked.

Clark looked at the ceiling, trying to find the right words and the right tone to use. He neither wanted to come off as too desperate nor too cold. He wanted Lois to know how much he wanted to work with her, but without sounding like a pathetic little boy.

Finally, he sighed. “I accepted it a long time ago, Lois. Happily. I want to work with you. I want to learn from you.”

Lois' smile hardened slightly, “But partners…”

“I know,” Clark interjected softly. “Partners do not keep big news from each other. I should have told you about Superman. I know.”

“I wouldn't have written about it anyway,” Lois said, her tone still a bit sour.

“You wouldn't?” Clark asked, not a hundred percent sure he believed her.

Lois sighed. “I guess I deserve that. But I wouldn't sell just anyone out. I know that if the press knew where Superman lived, he would never have any peace.”

Clark nodded. “Thanks, Lois. I'm sure he appreciates your willingness to keep it a secret.”

Lois nodded. “It's the right thing to do,” she said, trying to diminish the meaning behind her actions.

Clark placed a hand on her arm. “Yes, but that doesn't mean it isn't a kind and very thoughtful thing to do. Not everyone would do that. Some people, and I don't mean you, think that nothing is more important than their careers.”

Lois blushed, but then changed the topic. “Thanks for the help with this latest story, Clark,” she said, her voice soft.

Understanding that Lois was trying to change the mood, he teased, “You're welcome. I know you would never have written a piece as great without me.”

“Very funny!” she said, as she poked him. “I meant for the lecture about my dad. I was not happy that you told Superman about it, but I know I wouldn't have listened otherwise.”

“Do you think maybe things are different with your father now?” Clark asked her, his tone soft and quiet, hoping that it was okay that they had fallen so quickly back into a serious conversation.

Lois shrugged. “I don't know. I think our relationship is ingrained. It's built on too much. I doubt we're going to win Father-Daughter relationship of the year contests. But… I don't know. I was proud of him for doing the right thing and helping us put an end to what was going on.”

Clark smiled but Lois was staring at the ground.

“And… I'm proud of myself,” Lois admitted quietly. “I'm proud that I didn't write the story regardless of what it would have meant for my dad.” Lois looked up, looking directly at Clark. “And for keeping the news of Superman's home private. I'm proud of myself for being more like you, Clark.”

Clark, trying desperately to temper his reaction, reached out to place his arms around her. “That was… a really nice thing to say, Lois.”

Lois gave him a hug, before backing away quickly. “Well, it's true. But don't expect me to say things like that all the time,” she smirked.

“Oh, I've known you long enough to know what to expect,” Clark smiled. “So,” he asked after a beat, “it all ended well, even if it doesn't cause a life long change in your relationship with your dad.”

“Yeah, and can you believe Lex? How he came in the middle of everything and saved my life?” Lois asked, the adoration clear in her voice.

Two steps forward for every step back, Clark thought. For a moment there, he had felt close to Lois, like they were moving somewhere, but then, BAM, sucker punch, and adoration for Luthor crept in.

“Hi,” Lois said quietly when he opened the door. “Is Superman here?”

Clark nodded, trying to hide the effect her question had on him. Was this what it was going to be like living with Superman? Every time he heard Lois' heartbeat as she walked up the walkway, his pulse would speed up, his palms would start to sweat, and then when he opened the door he would learn that she was there to see his roommate? If so, he was not sure he could do this.

He moved aside calling over his shoulder, “Superman?”

The call was unnecessary, though. Superman had heard the knock on the door and had used his vision gizmo (as his wife liked to refer to it) to determine it was Lois at the door. He had waited in his room, intending to give Lois and Clark some privacy, but had heard her ask for him instead.

Now, walking out to meet Lois, he took in the look in Clark's eyes and he felt awful. Things were not going the way he had hoped. He could not believe that this is what Wells had been planning. Despite his best of intentions, he was still competing with Clark.

The only solace was that he was not nearly as sure as Clark was as to who was leading the race. Certainly Superman was not doing as well here as he had done in his own universe. This Lois and Clark were much closer. If he had any say, they would only get closer still until Superman faded completely into the background.

When he turned to Lois, though, he found himself forgetting those words. She looked so sad. He hated the look on her face and found himself responding to it almost on an instinctual level. “Hi,” he said and was astonished to hear the soft, caring tone to his voice.

He cleared his throat, taking in Clark's look of surprise at his tone out of the corner of his eye. “Hi, Lois,” he said again, this time making sure his voice was neutral.

“Hi,” Lois said, her tone still soft. “I just came by to give you something,” she said as she held a piece of paper out to him. “I wrote this this morning. Or last night. I'm not sure which. But I never submitted it and I deleted it from my hard drive. This is the only copy.”

Curious, Superman opened up the paper and nearly gasped at what he saw. The headline, which Lois had put in sixteen point font, said Superman Living in Metropolis Apartment. A fast perusal of the article showed that she had spelled out his address and the fact that he was living with Clark. Even which bedroom she thought he had, so it would be easy to spot which window was his from the outside.

“Lois,” he asked, confused and hurt. “Why would you…” he trailed off, at a loss for words.

“I didn't,” she reminded him. “Last night, I was so angry at you, though, and… But it doesn't matter now. I wouldn't tell anyone your secret. I wouldn't hurt either you or Clark like that. I just thought you should know.”

“Thank you,” Superman said, his voice soft now and more Clark-like than it had ever been with this woman before. “Thank you,” he repeated.

“No problem,” Lois said before clearing her throat and then turning to Clark who was watching the scene with his mouth open, she said, “I'll see you tomorrow, Clark,” and walked out the door.