ShayneT Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Well, what do you think?

#54582 08/10/08 03:46 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Still loving the story, Shayne. Superman vs. the dinosaur -- that was great fun. I love how characters who are around for maybe just a few paragraphs feel fully formed. Also loving the reactions of those characters as they see Superman for the first time. smile

Lauren

#54583 08/10/08 06:31 AM
Kerth
Kerth
Now I remember who Junior is - glad to see that they're still OK.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#54584 08/10/08 06:42 AM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
All four women took an unconscious step back. Scaled things with teeth were scary, but aggressive homeless people were a danger they were all familiar with.
How true!

Kristin couldn't stop staring. For once her unflappability as a New Yorker deserted her and she found herself looking up with her mouth open, as openly as any gawking tourist.
Ah, I remember a scene from Superman the Movie where the Metropolitans cheered Superman. I loved that, and I love this.

“There's a Tyrannosaurus. I'm pushing it back through the gate.”

Dr. Ledderman spoke. “There's no chance you could just stun or incapacitate it? It would be of enormous value to science.”
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

It would be of no more value to science than a small herbivore of a dinosaur, you twit! But lots of boys and men would think the Tyrannosaurus Rex was soooooo cool, of course!

I loved seeing Junior and his motley crew fighting the water in New Orleans. This was great:

There was a look of determination in their eyes that he hadn't seen before. The things that had been happening to New Orleans had been beyond their control, acts of God that left them feeling helpless.

This was something they could fight. It wasn't the only rift, but it was the one they could deal with.
I love how all these people came together to fight the water together!

He'd dismissed the news reports as cruel pranks, and he'd dismissed his great uncle's story as just another hallucination.

Yet floating above him with a thousand pound bag of sand under each arm was a figure in blue and white.
A figure in blue and white?

[Linked Image]

Him?

Anyway, I loved the conversation between Clark and Junior, particularly when Clark asked Junior to say hi to Cyrus from him!

Another great chapter, Shayne!

Ann

#54585 08/10/08 08:48 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
shock

Apparently the smaller brother of the earlier monster had managed to squeeze through the gate.
Yet it was being pushed backward by an even more familiar figure floating in the air over the street. He was pushing it back, and for all its massive power it wasn’t making any headway.
“Him,” the man beside her said grinning.
Kristin couldn’t stop staring. For once her unflappability as a New Yorker deserted her and she found herself looking up with her mouth open, as openly as any gawking tourist.
Slowly, her mouth twitched into a grin. For the first time this morning, Kristin felt a sense of elation. Everything was going to be all right.
The unflappability of the New Yorker is well known - even here on the other side of the big pond. laugh I love it, especially the `everything was going to be all right´! Superman is here, nothing can happen to us, great!

“There’s a Tyrannosaurus. I’m pushing it back through the gate.”
Dr. Ledderman spoke. “There’s no chance you could just stun or incapacitate it? It would be of enormous value to science.”
“I don’t think the Brooklyn Zoo has a Tyrannosaurus cage ready,” Clark’s voice said dryly. “This thing is twenty foot tall and it weighs seven tons. It’d eat the elephants.”
What about a deserted island? But dinosaurs wouldn´t live very long in our modern environment, simply because of bacteria they are not used to, chemicals in the air... And I don´t think anybody knows the specifications for a T-Rex cage...

“The local SWAT team is helping out with some of the smaller ones,” Clark’s voice said. “It looks like you’ll have your specimens, Doctor.”
Scientists of the world, take the next plane to New York!

“You don’t hear people screaming in their homes?” Lois asked. She winced; she wasn’t sure she wanted to know.
“Not much more than normal,” Clark’s voice said impatiently.
Would Clark hear them screaming if they are already on the other side of a rift? But most of the rifts seem to be at ground level, so it would be no problem on the second or third floor of a house.

She spoke into the microphone. “Clark, there are reports of flooding in New Orleans, and it hasn’t rained in a week.”
Dr. Ledderman paled. “Most of that area is below sea level, so a lot of the analogues…”
Animals might not pass over a certain spot for days, but below sea level there was nothing but water, water and more water.
Oh no, not poor New Orleans again! eek

Glancing back at them, he saw that none of them were moving. Instead they were staring up in the air.
He glanced upward, then felt himself gasp.
He’d dismissed the news reports as cruel pranks, and he’d dismissed his great uncle’s story as just another hallucination.
Yet floating above him with a thousand pound bag of sand under each arm was a figure in blue and white.
I love these scenes! But wait... blue and white? Did they make different Superman suits for him? I always loved the old one!

As he crawled back into the driver’s seat, he could hear something in the distance, even through the roar of the water.
It was coming from the left of him and also from the right.
As the bags began dropping rapidly, he realized what that sound meant. It was the sound of men cheering.
A moment later his voice and that of his crew were added to that sound as the last of twenty sandbags sealed off the portal.
“Say hi to Cyrus for me,” the man said from above him.
A moment later he was gone.
And again, Junior and Cyrus! Thank you, Shayne! sloppy

#54586 08/10/08 09:38 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
More comments later, but speaking as a native of New York and the Bronx... there isn't a Brooklyn Zoo (maybe there is in Clark's world).

In our world, the famous zoo in New York is the Bronx Zoo , which I visited many time as a child. There's also a Central Park Zoo , but that's a lot smaller. There's also a Queens Zoo and a Prospect Park Zoo (which is indeed in Brooklyn), but they're not that large, either.

OK, one more comment now: fantastic!! Once again, I was on the edge of my seat.

#54587 08/10/08 03:13 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh, Shayne, this chapter is great fun! Fun for us to read, of course. Not fun for the characters trapped in it, with portals and rifts everywhere with nasties coming through.

Again, kudos on getting to the meat of a character in only a few lines: Kristin, the struggling actress who's having one of *those days* with breaking her heels, dropping her cell phone, having a bad hair day - and now getting chased by a dinosaur!

Staggering toward them, a bearded man dressed in multiple coats and staring fixedly said, “It’s the end of the world. It’s all coming apart,” he said. “What’s real…unreal…”
Uh-oh! Is this really happening? (Obviously). Is this why a fictional character can come to life in our own universe? What can stop it? It seems like this is a job for Superman! (Who, fortunately, is here! What luck!)

You saw a dinosaur?”

“There were two smaller ones in the subway tunnel.”

“Crap,” one of the men said. “Cleanup is going to be…”
Good point - I was LOL. In the parade of life, you know, someone has to sweep up behind the elephants. There's always cleanup.

"We have a detour to make,” he said. A moment later they stopped beside one of the burning cars and the men jumped out. They checked the location and quickly circled the area with red spray paint.
So, is the red paint floating in midair? Are there circles of paint in the air with no visible means of support?

“You don’t hear people screaming in their homes?” Lois asked. She winced; she wasn’t sure she wanted to know.

“Not much more than normal,” Clark’s voice said impatiently.
That's kind of scary. All kidding aside, how much screaming in homes is there anyway? And why? It's rather disturbing to realize that there's a baseline level of screaming.

“Say hi to Cyrus for me,” the man said from above him.

A moment later he was gone.
Glad to see (or hear of) Cyrus again.

Shayne, another exciting and fun chapter. It seems, though, that Clark has been running around so much putting out fires that he hasn't really had any time to think or talk. What about getting back to his Metropolis? And all the people in the plane? Now that the LHC is damaged, he's got to take advantage of these rifts, right? But what will that mean for our world? We need him here to handle the rifts.

And are the rifts happening in the parallel (Clark's) world? And, when the bad guys fired up the LHC, there were *three* universes on-line - what about the third universe? What about parallel Clarks?

And are any other people coming through the microportals into our world? As you say, they probably wouldn't even know that it happened! (Could this be the advent of the evil Lex Luthor?)

And now, in totally unrelated news: Speaking of dinosaurs, I see that Hollywood is going to make a movie version of the old campy TV show, "Land of the Lost". Better watch out for Sleestak!

#54588 08/11/08 03:49 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Totally cool!

About the T-Rex. Yes, it would be cool to have one to study, as long as it was just 1!

New Orleans eek What about Venice? Would the water be draining out or is Venice just sinking and there would be no difference?

Blue and White? Could the white be the sand bags?

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
#54589 08/11/08 05:40 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
"Can I have a T-Rex, Dad? Please?"

"Can he have a T-Rex, honey? Please?"

"Can we have a T-Rex, Superman? Please?"

[Linked Image]

Ann

#54590 08/12/08 06:05 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Great part as usual Shayne. The individual views of how the world is collapsing are so great.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard