Print Thread
#54326 08/01/08 10:04 AM
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Online Content
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Wonderful part, Beth.

Jay and Martha connecting over art. Ellie finding out that Jay has an artsy side. Super-Sibling squabble. And the flashback of them moving because some job of Dad's probably blew up in Old Man Steward's face. Big question. When did Jay get his real name back?

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
#54327 08/01/08 05:09 PM
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Really delightful part. I loved the card sharp bits.

It was also great to see Jay being to open up. The flashback was good. It really helps us to understand Jay.

I now understand why you had his father be such a [pain] in part 10.

wildguy I was disappointed that we never got to see Mad Dog Lane take him down. wildguy

Well something to look forward to later. Unlike Jay's father the Kent-Lanes have found a balance of sorts between work and life. I think Martha's comments may help Jay towards a perspective.

It might be time for jay to do a little BibloTherapy.

I'd suggest

"Bringing Out the Best in People" By Aubrey Daniels
Aubrey Daniels

"The Three Signs of a Miserable Job" by Patrick M. Lencioni
Lencioni interviewed on the Three Signs...

And of course the classic "What Color is Your Parachute?" by Richard N. Bolles

Bolles on Life Planning

Framework4
#54328 08/01/08 05:15 PM
F
Kerth
Kerth
F

Framework4
#54329 08/02/08 08:29 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
This story sure seems to have a different feel than its predecessors. “Honesty” had a secrets and discovery edge while “Fidelity” struck me as much more of a straightforward suspense/action tone. Right from the beginning “Strength” has had a much more “domestic” tone. To be honest it took the first five or six sections for me to start to feel engaged with Ellie and Jay.

The thread of the problem with Ellie's powers is interesting but I have been surprised that it has developed so slowly. I am curious where it's going. I have wondered about everything from “Something in Jay's past” to “Ellis in the first female superhero and there might be a 'female' thing”. I look forward to finding out where this is going.

Jay's dad is really a piece of work. I'm surprised that one or the other of his kids didn't do a “rebel” thing and try to be different as possible. I was a bit surprised to see Jay defending his Dad so much but I really shouldn't be surprised as I have seen that pattern in real life.

The threads about “What will Jay do now” have been enjoyable. Like others, I felt that the self-defense angle looked both promising and (after the fact) obvious. Now, the art skills have been thrown into the mix and I can't help but think of some of the martial arts films where the Master is also an artist.

Overall, this is a very nice continuation of the story and the larger series. I eagerly await the next section.

Bob

#54330 08/03/08 07:38 AM
Columnist
Columnist
Thanks again everyone for commenting!

Big question. When did Jay get his real name back?
He still doesn't have it. wink "Stewart" is a name that Kaylie took on when she went to college. She's been able to keep the name because she's been very careful. And now that Jay has a full time civilian identity, he took her fake last name to avoid any questions.

The flashback was good. It really helps us to understand Jay.
Thanks! I'm so glad. I know Jay has been a difficult character for a lot of people to relate to, so it's good to know that this helps. And thanks for the book recommendations too! I'll have to take a look at them.

Jay's dad is really a piece of work. I'm surprised that one or the other of his kids didn't do a “rebel” thing and try to be different as possible.
Good point. Perhaps the death of their mother, combined with the constant moving makes them want to stick with their father more than some people would? I have a big character theory thing worked out about how Jay and Kaylie differ in their attitude towards their father, but you probably don't want to hear it. blush

This story sure seems to have a different feel than its predecessors.
Yes, it does. Besides the different narration style, this story doesn't have any A plot. There were a few reasons for not doing one, but I do agree that it makes the tone of the story very different. I'm glad you got into it anyway, Bob.

Thanks again for all the comments, guys!

#54331 08/03/08 07:44 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Nice part. I loved Jay and Martha bonding, and I thought both flashbacks were really good, particularly Ellie's when she was talking about Jon not living at home. Being the coldhearted reader that I am :p , I can't say I had thought about how it might have affected her till now, so I thought that was a really good piece to have.

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard