Kerth
F
clap clap clap clap
Wonderful delightful !!

Framework4
#54238 07/29/08 11:24 PM
Kerth
Kerth
Clark needs to watch out, or someone with a broken hand will sue him...

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#54239 07/30/08 02:43 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh, I definitely want more of this story.

Darn those bigots...

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
#54240 07/30/08 06:12 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Three parallel worlds running LHC's at the same time?? eek
She pulled him down to her and kissed him.
Yayy!!! dance

You can't be cruel enough to have them wind up in separate worlds, can you Shayne? grovel

Things seem to be coming to a head, so I guess we'll find out soon... right? wink Please keep it coming!

#54241 07/30/08 07:57 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Shayne!

The end is approaching. How are you going to wrap this up so our heroes can stay together? I'm glad to see that Lois and Clark feel the connection and are expressing their feelings - although displaying them in front of the White House probably wasn't the best spot.

This story has been fascinating.
Write on!
Anne smile1

#54242 07/30/08 07:59 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Thank you for updating so fast, Shayne! rotflol
But it seems they now have gotten it. More and more they start calling him Superman instead of silly things like `the man in the Superman costume´ or something like that.

“I…” he said. “You make me feel…”
He was struggling for words and Lois felt a moment of sympathy. She knew exactly how he felt because she was feeling that way herself.
Feeling the earth moving had always seemed like a hackneyed cliché, something bad writers used when they couldn’t come up with anything any more creative.
But in this case Lois felt her center of balance giving way and she felt suddenly dizzy. She closed her eyes and it was as though the entire world faded away from around her.
Simply beautiful, Shayne! You had me melting in my chair - and chuckling, because of the audience!
And for the `hackneyed cliche´ as you put it: feel yourself in good company, even Hemingway used it! (To whom the Bell tolls)

It wasn’t until she heard the cheers from some people in the crowd that she opened her eyes and saw the flashes of photographs being taken.
Damn.
Although she was a reporter, this wasn’t something she wanted to share with the entire world. It was going to go out on You Tube, and it was only going to fan the flames of the bigots who were trying to kill her.
Not only Youtube, but all over the networks... with grinning anchormen! Dear Lois, couldn´t you think of a more public place than the front lawn of the White House for kissing Superman? :rolleyes: laugh

And I love the short scene with Cyrus! I was shouting "CYRUS!" in front of my computer when I read the name! Great!

#54243 07/31/08 07:41 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Another excellent chapter. Things are really heating up and the action is great.

It did explain one of the questions Lars had always had about the American superhero.

With all his powers and skills, why didn’t he use the door?

It was clear to Lars now. That moment of horrified disbelief as the wall shattered bought him time, time to grab guns and stop bullets and do so with minimal harm to others.
I had to laugh when I read the rhetorical question about not using the door. It's so true. Maybe the answer also is that it looks good on TV or in a comic book? You've got a good rationale too and it's very believable. It's just what Superman would do.

It was the cold of the beginning of the universe, and as he moved the magnet the beam was deflected and it hit the mass of concrete and earth behind him with the power of a bomb.
Good description of the magnitude of the problem they are dealing with.

As speeches went, it was a little clumsy and forced, but Junior suspected that the speechwriters hadn’t been on the plane.
You know, in the old days, the presidents used to write their own speeches and have someone else deliver them. Now it's the other way 'round. It's more important to look good while you speak than to have an actual idea. Can you imagine if Lincoln's Gettysburg Address had been written by some professional ghostwriter?

Cyrus smiled at his grandnephew and said, “Have I told you how proud I am of you?”
Great to see Cyrus back! And glad to hear that he's doing better. Wow, Superman has affected one life positively - a microcosm of his mission.

Setting the telephone receiver down on the desk, he stepped closer to the rubble around the hole in the wall. “SUPERMAN! YOU HAVE A TELEPHONE CALL!”

He’d never felt so stupid.
OMG, this was so funny! ROTFL!

There are some things we ought to talk about,” she said, “When this is all over. Preferably not over a military phone line.”

He nodded quietly, but still didn’t let go of her hand.
I'm really looking forward to that conversation. But, Shayne, you've still got a lot of 'splaining to do (and exposition too!) to finish this story.

Just some more questions: Who were the terrorists? Who was the mole in CERN (or wherever) that let them in?

What about the other universes? Are they suffering from the same rifts and having the same problems? Are they trying to solve the problem? Do they even see it as a problem? How parallel are these universes, anyway? Did the same terrorist attack happen at the parallel CERN?

Since you indicated that one rift connected to a universe where Earth never developed an oxygen atmosphere, that couldn't be one of the almost-parallel universes where the LHC was running at the same time, right? So the rifts must be connecting with some other, totally random universes, right? And what's the significance of that? Is it random connections, or is there some deep underlying pattern that Clark and the scientists can use to solve the problem?

Are the rifts, this time, going to connect to the same universes they did last time? Like the passenger pigeon universe, and the eurypterid universe, and the hydrogen sulfide universe? And why should the rifts be in the same places? What's the science behind that? (Comic book science is ok, you've sold me on it before.)

What about parallel Supermen? I'm not the first to mention this. And what can Clark do about the rifts? Will his role be limited to disaster relief?

Originally quoted by Cornelia:
But it seems they now have gotten it. More and more they start calling him Superman instead of silly things like `the man in the Superman costume´ or something like that.
Yes, this is an excellent point. Clark has become Superman. First Lois believed it, even when Clark didn't. Then Clark started to believe it, and he became what he believed himself to be. Now the whole world believes it. Superman is real.

Oh, Shayne, this story is just so good. Please write more and more chapters. I'm really hoping that there's a lot of story still to go, because it's just such fun to read. Also, there's a whole climax that needs to come, and a whole lot of loose ends that need to be tied up.

I'm still pushing for Clark and Lois to end up happily in his world, where Clark can have the secret identity and live a successful double life, where Lois can have a sister who's alive, and where Lois can be the ace reporter we know and love, not the dried-out, burned-out, saddened husk of a woman that she was becoming before she met Clark. She made him Superman, and he is saving her as well.

Keep on telling all these stories, Shayne.

#54244 08/02/08 07:35 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I'm so late to this party... but fortunately there isn't much need for a lot of additional insights and comments after Cornelia and, especially, IolantheAlias have done their jobs! clap

I, too, giggled at Lars' realization after Clark had shattered a wall to get in:

It did explain one of the questions Lars had always had about the American superhero.

With all his powers and skills, why didn't he use the door?

It was clear to Lars now. That moment of horrified disbelief as the wall shattered bought him time, time to grab guns and stop bullets and do so with minimal harm to others.
So brilliant and, in its own way, so funny! Well, perfection is funny. And getting the perfect explanation of a weird phenomenon is perfectly funny!

“We shouldn't have three times as many particles in the system as we put in there…”

“What if it's the same particle,” Piers said, his face slowly going white. “In three different universes.”

“You wouldn't be able to see them in this one,” the woman holding Lars said.

“Unless their universe and our universe are partially superimposed.” Piers looked horrified. “We DID cause the rifts.”
How chillingly perfect!!!!

As he moved the magnet slightly, the cold hit him like a wave. It was a cold deeper than that of deep space, which in his experience wasn't actually that cold. It was colder than anything he'd ever experienced, to the point of actually being somewhat painful.

It was the cold of the beginning of the universe, and as he moved the magnet the beam was deflected and it hit the mass of concrete and earth behind him with the power of a bomb.
The metaphor you use to describe the cold that Clark felt is sheer poetry. As such, it is extremely powerful, and therefore you absolutely shouldn't change it. But please forgive me for adding a small astronomical tidbit:

Today the the entire universe is permeated by the so-called Cosmic Microwave Radiation whose temperature is 2.725 degrees Kelvin above absolute zero. Astronomers believe that this radiation is the remnant of the unbelievably hot temperatures of the universe's birth. Back then, when the entire universe is believed to have been smaller than an atom, all of the present cosmic microwave radiation was concentrated inside this unbelievably tiny sphere, and the temperature here is believed to have been trillions or quadrillions of degrees. (Sorry, couldn't resist. Please don't change your beautiful metaphor.)

Junior felt his granduncle's hand on his shoulder. The old man was looking better since he'd been back on his medications.

“They're going to call you in,” he said.

At Junior's look, he said, “What else are they going to do?”

“All national guard units are going to be mobilized, and I ask again that people remain in their homes to leave streets open for emergency responders.”

The telephone began to ring, and Junior sighed.

Cyrus smiled at his grandnephew and said, “Have I told you how proud I am of you?”
That was lovely. I was so glad to see Cyrus again, and to see that he was doing so much better, and that he has a grandnephew that he can be so proud of.

He listened to the voice on the other end of the line and then sighed. “It's only…yes.”

Setting the telephone receiver down on the desk, he stepped closer to the rubble around the hole in the wall. “SUPERMAN! YOU HAVE A TELEPHONE CALL!”

He'd never felt so stupid.
Poor Piers! That was so funny!

And like Cornelia said, people have really started calling Clark Superman now.

She reached up to place it in his ear and then realized that his eyes were on her. She flushed, realizing suddenly just how close she was standing to him. She forced herself to go through the motions of placing it in his ear.

She realized that he hadn't released her hands a moment later and she looked up at him, suddenly more aware of him than ever.

“I…” he said. “You make me feel…”

He was struggling for words and Lois felt a moment of sympathy. She knew exactly how he felt because she was feeling that way herself.

Feeling the earth moving had always seemed like a hackneyed cliché, something bad writers used when they couldn't come up with anything any more creative.

But in this case Lois felt her center of balance giving way and she felt suddenly dizzy. She closed her eyes and it was as though the entire world faded away from around her.

It wasn't until she heard the cheers from some people in the crowd that she opened her eyes and saw the flashes of photographs being taken.
This was just lovely.

And it reminds me of a comic book story I read once. The Earth was under an extreme threat, and in fact it might be swallowed up by nothingness. Clark was flying off to try to fight it. Before he left, he had said good-bye to Lois. She was standing on a rooftop (I think), looking at Clark flying away. She said to him, 'I love you', and then she herself was fading away, as the wave of nothingness hit her.

This is such a brilliant story, Shayne.

Ann

#54245 08/03/08 08:00 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Here's a slightly different perspective on the LHC.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard