OP Offline
Features Writer
Well, what do you think?

#54182 07/26/08 09:49 AM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Excellent cliffhanger, Shayne. Will Superman get there in time? If not, will he be able to contain the damage? Will Denver go 'poof?' Will more weird creatures get dumped on the planet, like sabertooth cats and short-faced bears (supposed to have been really mean suckers) and mammoths? Will Lars and Piers survive? What happened to the hot American blonde?

More to the point, who are these wackos? Why are they powering up the collider? Is Lars really helping them out of concern for his buddy, or is he going to sabotage the machine? Will the general staff call off the bombers, or will they disappear into a rift into another world?

Will Clark ever get back home? Will Lois go with him? Will he be able to take the passengers and the crippled plane back with him? Boy, we still have lots of unanswered questions, don't we?

Tense, taut, and truly gripping. When's the next post?

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#54183 07/26/08 10:04 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
A new chapter! Great!

“We need to keep the Chinese in the loop about this. If they were to think Beijing had been nuked…”
Not just China... what about other dangerous countries who have nuclear weapons? Iran, North Korea, India, Pakistan and so on...

Lois felt herself beginning to relax. “So you won’t launch bombers…”
“We launched bombers from Germany fifteen minutes ago,” the man said. “That gives us thirty minutes to come up with another solution.”
German and Swiss governments are going to love that... Just for your information: we have a decision of our Constitutional Court that the government is not allowed to shoot a hijacked plane, because of the innocent victims. There was a lot of discussion about this, but the main consent is: it´s OK that way. In spite of 9/11. I don´t know how the rules are for attacking in an European country. I don´t think, the U.S. can send some bombers somewhere on its own without consulting the governments.

“Are you sure Superman can’t be contacted?”
“The Chinese have been alerted,” the man next to her said. “They’ll tell him when he next sees them.”
“He doesn’t have to see them,” Lois said.
They stared at her uncomprehendingly. She began to lay out her plan.
Did they all forget their `comic times´?
:rolleyes:

Piers had a momentary vision of himself jumping up and wrestling the rifle away from the man facing them, then spraying the others arrayed around the room like some sort of an American action hero.
He didn’t move.
You got this perfectly. Real life is not a Hollywood action movie, and it´s different when there is a real gun in front of your face.

“We don’t need to monitor any experiments. Just turn the thing on and keep it running.”
“You’d destroy the entire world…why?” Lars’ voice faded in and out.
But if there is no real danger in their opinion - why do they do it? And just WHAT and WHO are these terrorists? Al Kaida? Some kind of FARC or green fanatics? You don´t tell it in this chapter, I hope this is still coming. I have an idea what they could be, but I won´t anticipate you.

“Neither the Swiss or the French are cooperating,” one man reported, looking harried. “We tried going directly to the power companies, and they refuse to believe us. We’re trying to go through diplomatic channels now.”
Lois grimaced. She supposed it would have been difficult for the French government to convince a private power company to cut off power to New York City, but this was frustrating.
Wasn’t there some sort of red phone to cut through this sort of bureaucracy?
There HAS to be a red phone in every (or nearly every) presidential office in the world, especially since 9/11. And the power companies would react very quickly, if they had Nicolas Sarkozy or Angela Merkel on the phone. It´s the same thing as in US movies: the phone rings, someone takes it, and then all you hear is: "Yes, Mr. President". Sorry, I couldn´t resist, I love these kind of movie scenes! laugh

One of the analysts looked up from his computer screen. “There was a spike in power usage from both grids starting fifteen minutes ago.”
It took twenty minutes for the machine to power up.
“How far are the bombers?”
“They are still ten minutes away.” The analyst looked harried.
Uh oh. goofy

#54184 07/27/08 02:30 AM
Kerth
Kerth
I'm trying to figure out how Clark solves the BIG problem. Even if he stops the terrorists, there must be loads of other parallel worlds (possibly an infinity of them) on the verge of developing this technology. How will he stop them all, short of setting himself up as ruler of all universes and launching preemptive strikes on any world that's getting close?

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#54185 07/27/08 05:34 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Not enough time tonight to do a long review. Just wanted to say - Excellent as usual! Things are really starting to heat up.

by Terry Leatherwood:
Excellent cliffhanger, Shayne. Will Superman get there in time? If not, will he be able to contain the damage? Will Denver go 'poof?' Will more weird creatures get dumped on the planet, like sabertooth cats and short-faced bears (supposed to have been really mean suckers) and mammoths? Will Lars and Piers survive? What happened to the hot American blonde?

More to the point, who are these wackos? Why are they powering up the collider? Is Lars really helping them out of concern for his buddy, or is he going to sabotage the machine? Will the general staff call off the bombers, or will they disappear into a rift into another world?

Will Clark ever get back home? Will Lois go with him? Will he be able to take the passengers and the crippled plane back with him? Boy, we still have lots of unanswered questions, don't we?
Terry asked a lot of the questions that are floating around my head.

Colonel Kwan raised his voice and for the first time in the history of the world yelled two words not as part of an entertainment, not as part of a movie or radio act or play, but in all seriousness.

“Help, Superman!”
This is great.

Anyway, Shayne, more-more-more! And soon.
(If you please.)

#54186 07/27/08 06:30 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I, too, want to apologize for slacking off in the review department. I've been very busy at work, with a couple of minor illnesses thrown in.

Anyway, it does feel like things are coming to a head. I can't wait to see what happens at CERN when Clark arrives!

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard