Previously on TNOTM...

"I'm sorry, Lois," he stammered. "But I've, er, got to get back to the office. I still have some work to get done today."

Lois bit her lip and nodded. More tears snuck out from the corner of her eyes. "Of course, I understand. I'm sure your work load will increase now that I'm gone." Both were standing now and she moved close to him. Standing on her tip toes she brushed a gentle kiss across his lips. "Goodbye, Clark."

It took all his will power to open the front door. "It's not good bye, Lois. Not yet." With one last look in her watery bright eyes, Clark turned, and hurried from her apartment.

And Now...
The Needs of the Many - part 2
by Tank

It was getting dark when Lois finally sat down for a bit of dinner. The pizza that had been delivered a couple of hours ago was cold but it was filling. A bottle of water rounded out her gourmet repast. She was beat. She had forgotten what a pain is was to pack for a move. And truthfully she wasn't done yet. She had enough clothes packed in her suitcases to last her quite a while, but most of her other things were in boxes or still sitting where they had been for the last several years.

She'd made arrangements with her landlord to hire some movers to have her furniture, and any boxes she didn't take with her, placed in a local storage facility until she had time to either bring them out once she was settled, or dispose of them in some fashion. She was paid up through the term of her lease, which still had three months to go, so she told him there was no hurry on her account. She glanced around the partially denuded apartment. She was going to miss this place.

She was startled out of her musing by a tap at her window. She set the piece of pizza she'd been eating down and rose from her seat. She'd been expecting him. Lois knew that Clark would tell Superman what she was planning, so she figured that he'd show up sometime this evening. It all depended on how busy he'd be rescuing, fixing, or stopping whatever had to be rescued, fixed, or stopped.

"Come in, Superman." She opened the window and moved away as he floated into her living room. "I imagine Clark has filled you in?" she said, as she noticed him taking in the state of her apartment.

The Man of Steel had a grim look on his face. "Yes, he did. Lois you don't..."

She quickly came up to him and placed her finger over his lips. "Shush. You, more than anyone, know that I have to do this." She shook her head, stopping any response from him. "I just need you to answer a few questions for me. If you answer them honestly, I think it will clearly illustrate that what I have decided is for the best."

She paced a bit, then turned and faced him. A resolute look on her face. "What would you do to save my life, if it were in danger?"

She could tell that Superman was undergoing an internal struggle. He knew what she was after and he was trying to figure out a way not to tell her what she knew he'd have to say.

"I guess, I'd do just about anything."

"Including committing a major crime?" He hesitated. "Superman?"

His mouth was pursed into a tight line. "I wouldn't kill someone, I couldn't."

Her smile was tired. "That much I'd guessed, and I'm glad." She took a breath. "But what if, in an act of vengeance, the bad guys killed me? Could you place the blame where it belonged - on them, and not take it all on yourself?"

"But it would be all my fault, Lois. You wouldn't have been put in that situation if it weren't for me." His face betrayed so much despair that Lois had trouble not reaching out to comfort him.

"I know how much it bothers you when you can't save everyone. When someone dies because you couldn't be there. But you have learned that you can't be everywhere, and you move on and do what you can." Lois reached out and placed her hand on his chest. "Could you do that if the victim were me? Could you put it behind you and move on?"

Superman dropped his head, not able to look her in the eyes. "I don't know."

Lois took another breath. "Okay, here's the clincher. Answer it honestly. Would your life, as a super hero, be easier if I wasn't in it?"

He turned and stared out the window. "That's not a fair question, Lois."

"No, it's not. But you don't have so say anymore. I think the answer is clear."

Superman reached out and trailed his hand through her hair. "Lois, you don't have to do this. This is your home. The Daily Planet is your life. You don't have to leave." He took a deep breath. "I'll leave."

Lois pushed off and stalked to the other side of the room. "Oh no. You think I want to be known as the person who drove Superman away? This is your home too. I love Metropolis, and truth is, I don't really want to leave. But if it comes down to who this city needs the most, it's a no-brainer. I hit the bricks."

"Lo-is."

She put her hands up, warding off his coming comments. "No, don't you pull a Clark on me. I don't need a shoulder to cry on. I don't need someone trying to comfort me. I'm a big girl, and I can take care of myself." She paced a little more. "Unfortunately, we've managed to get ourselves into an untenable situation. And, unless you can show me where my conclusions are in error, I think we both know that what I'm planning is what I have to do."

She was shocked to actually see a tear slip from the corner of the super hero's eye. "Lois, I don't know what to say."

She rushed up and threw her arms around his neck and seized his lips with her own with a ferocity that surprised even her. Stepping back after breaking the kiss, she took a deep breath in order to clear her head.

"Just say good bye."

He stared at her for several moments, not saying anything. He glanced out the open window, then back to her. "Good bye, Lois."

She placed a hand on his arm. "One last question, if you will." She hesitated for a moment. "Do you love me?"

He cupped her cheek with his right hand. "Yes." Then in a burst of wind and with a sonic boom that rattled windows in the building... he was gone.

Lois moved back toward her kitchen on wobbly legs. She dropped into the hard chair, staring at the empty window. Slowly, she lowered her head down onto her folded arms - and wept.

(six weeks later)

Lois glanced at herself reflected in the window of the L.A. Times building as she was leaving for the day. She still, occasionally, surprised herself when she saw what she looked like these days. Her skin was tanned from exposure to the California sun. Her hair had been cut into a short, easy to care for, layered style. Her clothes were much more casual than she was used to. No more suits and outfits with jackets. Everything in this town was light pastel colors and breezy cotton tops and slacks.

She had to admit that the Times wasn't bad paper to work for. It was much more modern than the Planet had been, and she had access to all the latest technology. The senior reporters, of which she was immediately afforded that status, were given quite a great deal of autonomy in their working habits. As long as they produced, their editor, Miles Branch, didn't care how they came and went.

She hadn't found her own place yet, but she was actually enjoying living with Lucy again. They'd spent several fun evenings out on the town. Lucy was currently between boyfriends, for which Lois was grateful, so the two sisters had spent a lot of their free time together. It helped Lois keep her mind off Metropolis, and what she'd left behind.

She'd known that she would miss Metropolis, and all the friends she'd left behind. She'd expected to miss Superman the most of all, but that hadn't been the case. She occasionally found herself yearning for an Elvis story from Perry, or missing the constant interruptions that Jimmy was famous for. Whenever she saw, on the news, some report of Superman performing another wondrous feat, her heart gave a little lurch. But most of all, she missed Clark.

They had exchanged a few emails early on. Mostly of a congratulatory nature. Praising each other on some significant story the other had managed to break which would get national coverage. But the messages had been stilted and almost formal. They didn't contain the comfortable feeling that they used to be able to share. It was as if they both were afraid to really be themselves with each other. Now that the split had been made, it only made it harder when reminded of what they were missing. Still it was Clark who was in her thoughts whenever she wasn't totally absorbed in her work. It was Clark she thought about when she went to bed every night, and first thing every morning. If she didn't know better she'd say that she had fallen in love with the man. But that was ridiculous. He'd just become the human face of her homesickness.

Lois got into her jeep and pulled into traffic. She had a tip to meet an informant she'd cultivated a few days ago. Apparently there was some shady dealings going on with a certain import company. Lois was to meet this guy to get the lowdown. She was a bit worried, because she didn't know her way around Los Angeles very well yet, so she hoped that the directions she'd gotten would get her there.

After an hour of driving, Lois knew she was lost. It was getting dark, and the neighborhood she was driving through showed definite signs of having seen better days. She pulled over to the side of the road and reached in her bag for her cell phone. She'd have to call Lucy, or someone at the office for directions out of this place.

Pulling the tiny phone out of her purse she noticed that the battery was low, too low to get her a signal. Cursing silently she stuffed the useless appliance back into her bag and tried to figure out what to do next.

Just then she noticed a pay phone part way up the block. Letting herself out of her vehicle she quickly made her way to the booth. Once there she realized that she didn't have any change on her. She knew she kept a handful of loose change in her glove box for just such an occasion. So, with another colorful cuss word on her lips, she let herself out of the booth and moved back toward her car.

Before she had traveled more than a few steps she was surrounded by several young, street toughs. She instantly recognized the type. She may be thousands of miles from familiar territory, but hoodlums were hoodlums no matter what big city you were in. She stopped.

"What do you want? I don't have much money." Lois held her voice steady.

One of the young men gave her a barracuda like smile. "Well, then you'll just have to pay up another way, won't ya."

Before any of the youths could close in on her, Lois lashed out with a savage groin kick to the fellow closest to her. She then darted off in the direction that had suddenly opened up. The rest followed closely behind.

Lois dashed down the first alleyway she came upon, hoping to lose them amongst the dumpsters and other refuse containers scattered along the way. She was fast, but not nearly as fast as a teenage boy.

She felt a hand grab her neck from behind. Suddenly she was violently thrust face first into the side of a large trash dumpster. She fell to the ground, blood pouring from her nose. She rolled over and faced the motley group of taunting punks. If this were three weeks ago she would be shouting for Superman at that moment. But she wasn't in Metropolis any more. She was on her own now. No last second saves by her favorite Man of Steel in the cards. Lois felt anger rising in her, replacing the fear she'd originally been experiencing. It was going to be a stupid way to die.

(36 hours earlier)

Clark looked up from his desk as his hearing detected a faint sound that didn't seem to belong. It was a rhythmic clicking sound, the kind one might hear on a metronome, or a digital counter. With a frown on his face, he rose from his desk and began to follow the sound.

"Hey, CK, what's up? Where are you going?" Jimmy had come up behind him and began to follow the older reporter as he wound his way through the desks on the news floor.

Clark waved his hand at Jimmy. "Shhh," he said.

Clark followed the sound until he reached the store room where they kept the office supplies. As he entered he began to use his x-ray vision to scan the area. There was an unusually shaped box in the far corner of the room. He quickly rushed over to it. Once he was close enough, he could see the wires leading to a large package of what could only be plastic explosives.

"Holy, moley, is that what I think it is?" Jimmy's voice was right at Clark's ear.

Clark turned, anxious for Jimmy's safety. "Quick, Jimmy, go tell Perry to evacuate the building."

"What are you going to do?"

Clark gave the young man a hearty shove. "Just go!"

Jimmy stumbled out of the room, and began to head for his editor's office. Clark turned back to the bomb just as the counter hit zero.

The explosion rocked the floor of the Daily Planet building. Nearby fixtures and furniture alike was tossed about like childrens toys. Jimmy, who was probably the closest person, besides Clark, to the blast zone was flung several feet across the room. He landed in a heap, but was only minimally hurt. Pulling himself painfully to his feet, the young gopher stared at the devastation that had been a portion of the newsroom.

"CK?" he managed to croak. "CK!"

Lois lay back in the almost comfortable hospital bed. The pain killers made her nauseous and a bit drowsy, but it was more than a fair trade. She knew she probably looked awful, but she was lucky to be alive. If it hadn't been for the couple of gay body builders coming to her rescue she'd be dead by now. Still, she was in tough shape.

The street punks had beat on her pretty savagely. She had a broken nose, lost a couple of teeth, and had three cracked ribs. She had several bruises and abrasions on her arms and legs, and one long jagged wound on her thigh. That had happened when they threw her through a stack of old wooden pallets and an exposed nail had dug a nasty furrow down the side of her leg. She was thankful that the passing couple had spied her trouble before the youths had decided to sexually assault her. She didn't know if she could have survived that.

Lucy had been with her most of the morning. Her sister had come as soon as she'd been informed, and had stayed with Lois all through the night and into the next day. Lois finally sent the poor girl home to get some rest. She went reluctantly, with a promise to return later that evening.

Her editor Miles, had shown up, as did a few of her co-workers. They had all seemed a bit reserved, almost evasive around her, but they all expressed their sympathies for her injuries and had wished her a speedy recovery. She was touched by their concern for the 'new kid' and it was nice to have the company, but it just wasn't the same. She missed her friends.

What she needed right now was to hear Perry's gruff voice tell her that she'd better get well soon because he couldn't hold the front page for her forever. And Jimmy's nervous pacing about the room, coming over to ask her every few minutes if she needed anything. But most of all she wanted Clark there.

Clark would sit by her bedside, looking all worried and concerned for her. He'd admonish her for going into such a dangerous area alone, but then she hadn't known where she was going. This wouldn't have happened in Metropolis. She knew all the places to stay away from back home. And even if she did have to go to one of those less than desirable places for a meet, she'd either have Clark along with her, or Superman would be just a shout away. That wasn't the case anymore.

She frowned as she thought it over. For all that Superman was supposed to be the man she loved, and was the reason why she left Metropolis in the first place. It still was Clark she wanted with her now. It was Clark she wanted holding her hand and telling her that she was going to be okay. She resolved then, that once Lucy got there, she was going to have her get in touch with Clark and see if it would be possible for him to come visit her. She needed to see her partner again.

No sooner had that thought finished in her mind then her sister came through the door. "Hey, Luce, you're back early," Lois said in a cheerful voice.

Suddenly she noted the look on her sister's face. Her eyes were red and puffy. It was obvious that she'd been crying. Lois wondered if the doctors had told her sister some dire news that they hadn't confided in her yet. But that didn't make any sense. Lois knew she was hurt, but none on her injuries were life threatening. She then noted the rolled up newspaper that was clenched in a death's grip in the young woman's hand.

"What is it, Luce? What's wrong?"

Tears poured from Lucy's eyes as she extended the hand holding the paper toward her sister. "Oh, honey, I'm so sorry."

A chill ran through Lois as she took the paper with trembling hands. She opened it up. It was her subscription copy of the Daily Planet. Like many other major papers, such as the New York Times and her own L.A. Times, copies could be purchased in most major cities around the world, with a varying degree of delay. She received the Planet on a one day delay. She didn't subscribe in order to get the latest news, but just to keep track of what her friends and her city were up to.

She was instantly struck by the huge, bold headline. 'Terrorist Bomb Kills Planet Reporter, Injures Three Others'. Her heart began to thud painfully in her chest. The byline was by Perry White. The unusualness of that made Lois afraid, but she also experienced a small degree of relief to know that Perry hadn't been hurt. Her eyes slipped past the copy and focused on a picture printed prominently in the middle of that page. Tears began to form in her eyes. It was a picture of Clark.

Shaking her head in denial, and through a veil of tears, she forced herself to read the article. More tears flowed as the details of the bomb going off in the Planet's newsroom were read. Jimmy had been hurt but not too badly, but Clark had been in the room when the bomb had gone off. They hadn't even been able to find his body. The Metropolis Bomb Squad had speculated that if he'd been right next to the bomb when it had gone off, the extreme heat could have been enough to literally vaporize his body. There was no doubt in anyone's mind. Clark Kent was dead.

(Over to you, Ms. Richards)