Next Thread
Print Thread
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Carol, I had no idea how you would pull it off, but you did it again. wildguy

About the only saving grace is the 4*8* up in the title. Although, this means they will be waiting another 6 parts instead of 5. Oh well...

What's the plan for part 43? A day? 36 hours, 48 hours?

Michael smile

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
I thought Clark was rather condescending in the opening scene. The fact that he was right was irrelevant. He put out his arguments point by point, but he didn't let her finish talking. Then he dismissed himself so he could outline the same arguments to Perry (which meant that the readers got a double-dose). I still liked the story and where it is heading, but the opening part made Lois look foolish and immature.

Elisabeth
who is looking forward very much to Jimmy and Lucy's story

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Originally posted by Darth Michael:

About the only saving grace is the 4*8* up in the title.

What's the plan for part 43? A day? 36 hours, 48 hours?
I wondered how long it would take for someone to notice that wink .

Actually - part 43 is still probably Wed at the EARLIEST - Thursday is more likely. With some additions/edits, I only have 2 more buffer chapters before more incomplete stuff. If I do manage to get more done, I may post sooner but...

Carol

Columnist
Columnist
Okay I have to say that Lois is too smart to take the advice of her younger sister, who has been married for a week!

Come on Lois, did you really think Clark wasn't going to be upset that you pulled that move?

I like the dates that you are sharing. It is good to know that she allows her husband of 5 years to kiss her, she is lucky Clark believes in being totally faithful.

Okay rant over I can't wait for the next part.

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
I'm glad Clark pushed Lois back. She knows she should be ready, she knows her husband has been ready for five years, and she's just been treated to a dissertation on the joy of sex from a hormone-drenched newlywed whose main thought is getting home in time to be with her new husband. (There's nothing wrong with that, by the way, and a whole truckload of things right with it.) But like Clark said, Lois shouldn't do this just because Lucy can't stop breathing heavily.

And I have to defend Clark a little bit. He's like Charlie Brown trying to kick the (American) football Lucy is holding. But every time he runs up to boot it, she pulls it away at the last minute and he flops on his back and knocks the breath from his lungs.

That's what just happened to Clark. He sees his beautiful wife moving towards him in what looks like a sexy and inviting manner, but then when he realizes she's not really ready, his hopes and expectations are flipped over and dumped on their collective heads. That hurts! And he took a little bit of his frustration out on Lois, then dumped the rest on Perry while he worked his way back from the edge and calmed down enough to talk with her rationally.

I still hold that Lois needs to see a professional therapist on a professional basis. I'm surprised that Alice hasn't recommended one. Could have happened "off-camera," though I'd like it better if we could see Lois talking through her issues with a competent counselor.

I know we're winding down to the end, and I'm still with you. But poor Lois and Clark. They have to travel to all these exotic locations all over the world and then - drat that Perry White! - they actually have to write about it. I feel so sorry for them. I hope they manage to escape his dreadful clutches soon.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Originally posted by Terry Leatherwood:
I still hold that Lois needs to see a professional therapist on a professional basis. I'm surprised that Alice hasn't recommended one. Could have happened "off-camera," though I'd like it better if we could see Lois talking through her issues with a competent counselor.
I have to agree with Terry she needs counseling.

On the flip side I think this would be a really really good time for Zara and company to show up.

Send Clark away for a couple of years and have Lois miss him tremendously.

You could lead Clark and Lois right up to the brink and have Zara arrive and have everything grind to halt. Clark leaves with Zara.

End of story. To be continued in "Lois Alone, Learning to Feel."

Of course Lois throws herself into her work and after a while is convinced Clark will never return. She is also convinced her marriage is not legal since Clark was already married to Zara.

This tale would have to be mostly written and thus can't begin to post for a year or two.

evil evil wildguy

Framework4
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I, too, sympathize with Clark's reaction. An important reason for that is that Lucy often irritates no end. As most of you know I am anything but an expert on a show, but I do remember watching an episode (the Pilot???) where Lucy said to Lois, 'Lois, you don't have dates, you have interviews'. And I'm pretty sure the little brat had come home to Lois, to Lois's apartment - uninvited, of course - to lecture her sister like that. God, how I hated Lucy that time. What is it to her if Lois has dates instead of interviews? If that is a problem in the first place, it's Lois's problem, not Lucy's. And if it's a problem that needs to be solved, then Lucy's mockery sure isn't going to make it easier for Lois to find a nice guy to date.

One problem I have with Lucy is that she comes off to me, all too often, as a self-satisfied young woman who is pleased with herself because she knows that she is good at doing what other people do and look good while she is doing it, too. Then she takes a look at her older sister, who is very much her own person and not always good at doing what other people do, and Lucy tut-tuts at her.

I wouldn't be so irritated at Lucy if Lois had been able to stand up to her sister and tell her that she wasn't welcome to Lois's apartment if she had come there only to enjoy the comforts of it and to criticize the person who paid the rent for it. Unfortunately though, Lucy's words always seem to cut Lois so deeply. Her sister's gleeful criticism usually turns Lois into an emotional wreck, and she feels like an utter failure.

This time, Lucy's input made Lois feel that she should have sex with with her husband no matter what she herself thought about it. I'm very glad that Clark saw through her façade, and I loved the expression you made him use, that he could feel that Lois's scent was scared.

I agree that Clark got a little too angry at Lois. On the other hand, I'm not criticizing him for it! The situation is frustrating for him, and Lucy's input sure didn't make things better. Perhaps he should have stayed and talked to Lois instead of flying away and venting at Perry, but I'm glad that he flew away. He has his own needs, too. And I'm glad that Alice phoned Lois and talked to her.

I'm sure I don't like the appearance of Claude!!!! Yeeeccchhh!!!!

Ann

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I'm glad Clark didn't have sex with her at that time.

I don't have a problem with Clark venting to Perry. It would have been a lot worse if he had started yelling at Lois because he was angry.

The only thing I don't understand is why he didn't even mention the seals during that entire scene smile

Columnist
Columnist
After a reread this morning, I remembered when Clark told Lois not to leave the coupon out where he could find it by accident and get his hopes up. That is what she did to him in this past chapter.

I guess I think Lois should be getting over what happened and her childhood traumas. Clark has proven he isn't going to leave her, her continuing "issues" are hard to believe after 5 years of marriage,even a platonic one.

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
cp33 wrote:
I guess I think Lois should be getting over what happened and her childhood traumas. Clark has proven he isn't going to leave her, her continuing "issues" are hard to believe after 5 years of marriage,even a platonic one.
This is why I keep hammering on the "professional therapist" angle. Post-traumatic stress disorder will not go away by itself. It must be treated in order for a sufferer to experience a full recovery. Soldiers in combat in World War II suffered PTSD in silence for decades, and many of the survivors are still affected by it, even six decades after the fighting ended. Lois's progress is remarkable, but it's more her learning to mask her symptoms than it is her coming to grips with her affliction. Until she admits that she needs professional help - and she gets it - she's not going to be truly recovered.

Maybe that could be a side tale. You wouldn't have to shoehorn Lois's sessions into this story. You could put them in a shorter tale of their own. That way it wouldn't interfere with the current narrative, and it would be make Lois's recovery more convincing and more true-to-life. Their opportunity to travel and meet new people and visit exotic new locations may look like it's helping Lois, but it's really just covering over the real issues.

Other than that, I still maintain that I like this story, even though it's not one I could have written. I'm glad Clark is showing as much patience as he is. And I'm glad that Lois realizes that there are still steps remaining for her to take before she's all the way back. I'm anticipating the night (or the day) when Lois wears either the nightie or one of Clark's dress shirts. I just hope you don't show too much and lose the PG-13 rating.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Terry - believe me, I understand what you're saying. DH is a licensed professional counselor - he does therapy with kids who are wards of the state - abused, offenders, all kinds.

That said, that doesn't mean Lois is going to run off to see Friskin. Just because you and I know that doesn't mean she does. She has had some 'off camera' conversations with Alice, but you're right - its not enough.

I was grateful for your earlier post as well. Clark pushed back. He's a bit snippy and condescending in places. He's 'human' and he's told her over and over...

Framework - no NK arc planned for this one wink .

The therapist discussion will come up before long - within the next couple parts - promise.

And I don't do N so...

Carol

Columnist
Columnist
Framework - no NK arc planned for this one .
Oh bless you! I hated NK and I don't want it to intrude on this tale!

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Still reading. Really liking this. They couldn't have had that kind of conversation earlier.

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard