Next Thread
Print Thread
F
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
F
wildguy
Your Superman is anything but "not real" and Lois is clearly responding to him.

She said sorry so Superman will think better of her.

wildguy

Yet again Clark comes off poorly.

She knows Clark and Superman are completely different people. She is growing closer with Superman and has the start of a friendship with Clark.

But clearly this Superman and Clark won't leave her feeling in love with two people. She won't have any trouble choosing.

And even if Clark were to put on the suit today, she'd know he wasn't the Superman she knew, but a substitute of some sort.

It is like getting to know twins, after really getting to know one of them you don't confuse them with each other.

Superman is years older, more mature, more self assured, radiating confidence. And so much more comfortable with Lois then he was as Superman the first time around.

When he leaves and Clark has to step into the role he will be a poor second. Everyone will notice. Lois will know it is a different man in the role, others will wonder what happen to make him so much less.

I'm sure the papers will have a field day. he will seem to have regressed. People will be very concerned about his well being.

His beginner mistakes with not be seen as beginner mistakes but as symptoms of his regression.

Wells really shot himself in the foot this time.

Framework4
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
Superman was supposed to be here to "help" but instead he's feeding her Superman fantasy.

Elisabeth

F
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
F
Originally posted by Elisabeth:
Superman was supposed to be here to "help" but instead he's feeding her Superman fantasy.
And anonpip is too careful about it. I'm not sure why but it is clearly deliberate. I get the feeling this is going to a long tale.

Framework4
A
Features Writer
Features Writer
A
Okay, I'm really sorry. I've only been online for about five minutes at a time this past week with the exception of times I've been online for work (and most of those have been short as well). Between working and site-seeing (and having to pay for internet access) it's been hard to find any time to get on the boards.

Framework4 and Elisabeth-

So, since I'm not really big on surprises, I will say that my take on this story (and where I hope it's going) is not the same as where I think the two of you are anticipating it going. I should explain, I think, that I'm not so much a Superman fan. I like him well enough, but don't make special efforts to see the Superman movies or anything like that.

I'm a "Lois and Clark" fan because I really like the focus on the characters. It's sort of an interesting case study on human behavior to see this man trying to balance two lives and the Lois in this series is more interesting (in my opinion) than many others in that she's just as complex a character as Clark.

Given that this is what I like about the show, it shouldn't be too surprising that the characters in this story are very real (I hope). So, yes, Superman is real (and as such is feeding Lois' Superman fantasy) and yes, Lois would easily spot the difference if Clark were to put on the Superman suit and come visit her. But that's not because the older Clark is trying to usurp the younger one.

He wants to go home to his wife and leave this Clark and Lois to their lives. But he's human (or enough so that he makes mistakes) and it's hard to be a robot. And even harder to not respond to someone who is so similar to the most important person in your life and someone you don't get a chance to see. So, he's screwing up. Not because he's evil or malicious, but because he's Clark.

As for how the rest of the world will react when Clark takes over for Superman, we'll just have to see, but I don't think it will be quite so obvious to anyone who doesn't know them both as men (ie, the Kents and Lois). It will take awhile for us to get there (yes, this is going to be a long tale), but Clark won't be such a beginner when he takes over.

I think the idea of taking this in a "Superman is evil" direction is interesting and I may even explore it in some other fic, but that's not what I'm writing now. This is our Clark, and he's inherently good (or at least that's my take on his character). He's just also inherently stupid when it comes to Lois.

I hope to post the next chapter before I leave Japan, but I haven't had a chance to go over it again yet. I'm home next week, though, so should shortly be back to a normal schedule.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard