Okay, here's the story I warned you all about. With the recent flood of wonderful angsty and waffy stories and story parts that have recently surfaced I hesitated to post this. But then I figured, if I want to get Wendy involved in this I'd best post it soon, or she be in the middle of her next epic.

As I alluded to this is not a typical Wendy and Tank Challenge fic. First off, I couldn't finish off the set up in just one instalment. So I will be posting part one now, and part two tomorrow night. Also this is not typical in that it creates a Lois and Clark problem that needs to be solved (well not exactly). What it is is a set up that I believe plays to Wendy's strengths as a writer and something I honestly think she can have fun with.

I also think that since I took two instalments to present this, Wendy should be given two instalments to conclude it. So without further ado...

The Needs of The Many - part 1 - a sort of Wendy and Tank Challenge fic.
by Tank

Lois Lane sat on her couch in the darkened living room staring straight ahead. Her head ached a bit, she wore band aids on her right cheek, and on a couple of spots on her arms. Her injuries were minor, but this had been the closest call yet.

Superman had just left. He'd been so apologetic that it had been embarrassing. His concern over her well being had been clear, and his guilt over what had happened to her was just as obvious. Part of her welcomed his worry over her. It showed her that she meant more to him than just a friendly acquaintance.

This had been the third time in recent weeks that someone had kidnapped her in an effort to 'get to' Superman. There had been other incidents in the not too distant past. The reasons for her taking had varied. Some just wanted to revenge themselves on the Man of Steel, and saw her as a convenient means to do so. Others thought to use her to force the Caped Wonder to do their bidding. So far, she had managed to escape the fate that her captors had planned for her. More times than not, it had been Big Blue who'd had to come to her rescue.

Ever since Superman had appeared on the scene about six months ago, she'd been linked to him. She was the first one to interview the hero, and her personal bias toward the man had been evident to all. Lois sighed. She couldn't help being in love with the super hero, and her feelings were much too obvious to those who knew her. Ordinarily, that wouldn't present much of a problem because most of the females in Metropolis held onto romantic fantasies where he was concerned. The problem lay in the fact that Superman seemed to consider Lois more than 'just another reporter'. The media had been able to pick up on that, and had labeled Lois as 'Superman's Girlfriend'. It was a label that, at first, Lois was proud to wear, even though she knew it wasn't precisely true. But now, it had become a curse.

In the half year that he'd been operating, the Metropolis Marvel had been able to make more than his fair share of enemies, but his apparent lack of any weakness had made it tougher on the criminal element in the city. Being invulnerable had its definite advantages. That was where Lois entered the picture. Even though there was no acknowledged relationship between her and Superman, the implied one was enough for the bad guys to exploit. Especially since the Man of Steel reacted visibly different when confronted with her being in danger as opposed to the average person. Not that he didn't care about the average person on the street. But with them it was a bit more business like. With her there was a more obvious concern. A more personal reaction... dare she hope - even love?

Suddenly there was a loud knock on her door. It startled Lois. She slowly forced herself up from her seat and moved toward the door. She didn't really feel like seeing anyone just now. She had some serious thinking to do.

She stopped before she reached the front door. "Who is it?"

"Lois, it's me, Clark. Are you all right?"

Lois moved mechanically to start the unlatching process on the multiple locks she had on her door. She pulled the heavy door back and stepped aside, allowing her partner to enter.

Clark Kent was basically the 'other man' in her life. Not to denigrate friends like Perry White and Jimmy Olsen, but they were just her friends. Superman was the man she was sure she was in love with, and Clark was... well, we was her best friend, and her partner.

"Are you okay?" Clark touched the band aid on Lois' cheek. "I heard that Superman had rescued you. Are you hurt bad?"

The concern in Clark's voice caused Lois to smile. "I'm fine, Clark. I've been hurt worse in one of my Tae Kwon Doe classes. Just a bump on the head, and a couple of scratches." She patted his chest with her hand. "I think I'll live." She turned away from him and moved toward her kitchen. "This time," she whispered under her breath. Louder, she called over her shoulder. "Would you like some coffee?"

"Lois? Why are all the lights out?"

Lois turned to face Clark and shrugged. "I didn't get around to it, yet." She fixed him with a frown. "Now, do you want that coffee, or not?"

Clark smiled. "Coffee would be great, thanks."

"Okay," Lois said, waving him toward her living room. "You go sit down and make yourself comfortable while I fix us some."

Clark chuckled as he switched on the lamp near the sofa. "Comfortable? On your furniture, Lois?"

"How did you want your coffee again, Clark?" Lois asked, her voice insincerely sweet sounding. "In a cup, or... in your lap." The last words carried more than a hint of danger.

Clark held his hands up in defeat. "Um - a cup would be fine, Lois. Thank you."

Lois shook her head in amusement as she turned to her task. It was funny, but in many ways Clark was like Superman, yet in many others, he was the exact opposite. Like Superman, Clark was honest, and kind, and if he had super powers, Lois could see Clark out there helping people wherever he could just like Superman did. But where the Man of Steel was dynamic, flashy, and exciting; Clark was much more laid back, friendly but unassuming, almost mild-mannered. Still, she trusted both men more than she had ever trusted anyone before. She would trust them with her life.

Lois came over with two cups of coffee. She set hers on the small table in front of the couch and handed the other to Clark. "So what brings you over tonight?" she asked.

Clark looked bewildered by her question. "I just wanted to make sure you were all right? I had heard you were hurt. I was worried."

Lois picked up her cup and took a sip. "If Superman told you that he'd rescued me from the Bolton gang, then you should know that I'm okay."

Clark reached up and cupped her cheek with his hand, staring into her eyes for several moments. "Are you okay, Lois?"

She had to pull her eyes away from his as she chewed on her lower lip. Finally she was able to meet his gaze again. "Clark," she started in a timid voice. "How far would you go for someone you love?"

He shook his head, clearly puzzled by her question. "How far would I go? I don't understand, Lois. I'd like to think that I'd do anything in my power for someone I love."

Lois tucked an errant strand of hair behind her ear. "I mean, if you found out that your loving someone was not in their best interest, would you leave them?"

Clark threw his hands up, clearly not fully comprehending what Lois was getting at. "Yeah, sure, I guess. But I don't understand? How can loving someone not be in their best interest? What's this all about?"

Lois waved off his obvious concern with a quick hand gesture. "Oh, nothing. I was just thinking out loud. You know, universal questions; like why is there air, and will the Metros take the pennant this year?"

"Lo-is."

She patted his hand with her own. "No, really, Clark, it was nothing." She affected a large yawn. "While, I can think of nothing more exciting than swapping metaphysical philosophies with you all night, this girl reporter needs her sleep. Getting kidnapped really takes it out of a person." Her smile was weak, but sincere.

She knew Clark was too polite to force her to talk about whatever was bothering her when it was clear she was so tired. He'd never press the issue, but he wouldn't forget tonight either. He was too sharp, and too much a 'big brother'. He would bide his time, and when next she might show a little vulnerability, he would gently bring it back up. It was a basic character flaw. He wanted to be able to help everyone, whether they wanted his help or not.

After saying her good night to Clark, she secured the locks and glanced at the dirty cups still sitting in the living room. With a shrug she left them there. Turning off the light, she headed for her bedroom. She doubted she'd get very much sleep that night. She had a lot to think about.

(two weeks later)

Clark sat at his desk, a frown on his face. Lois wasn't in yet, but that wasn't unusual. She'd been in late most days the last couple of weeks. She had been reserved around him lately. No, it was more than reserved, it was like she was closed off. Any conversation not related to work and the story they were currently investigating quickly became strained and then discontinued. Lois just hadn't been in a mood to talk about things not job related. Clark respected that, but was becoming frustrated. He knew that something was bothering Lois, something involving Superman, but he couldn't get her to open up. He was worried about her.

The elevator bell signaled the arrival of the conveyance onto their floor. Clark looked up in time to see Lois stride purposely off the car, and directly into Perry White's office. The look on her face had been determined, but the telltale puffiness, and redness about her eyes, hinted that she'd been crying.

Not wanting to invade her and Perry's privacy, Clark didn't listen in on the conversation, but he did watch the exchange through the glass and the open blinds. It was a contentious argument, that was for sure. But not the normal heated encounter that Lois and Perry would usually have over a disagreement about a story. It looked like Perry was trying to convince Lois of something, but the stiffness of her body and the resoluteness of her head shake told Clark that he wasn't going to win. With one last shake of her head, Lois pulled a sheet of paper out of her bag, and let it slide onto Perry's desk. Then she turned and left her editor's office.

Clark, fully expecting to find out what the meeting was all about once Lois reached her desk, was surprised when she never made a move toward the ramp. Instead, she just marched back to the elevator and punched the button. Luckily for her, the car hadn't moved since she'd arrived so it opened immediately. She entered and was on her way before Clark could even realize that she'd left.

"Kent! In my office." Perry's bellow shook Clark out of his stupor.

He jumped out of his chair and hurried toward his boss' office. Maybe Perry would shed some light on what had just happened with Lois. He knocked on the jam as he entered the office. Perry was staring at the piece of paper that Lois had left him.

"Close the door, son." Clark did so. "Do you know what I hold in my hand, here?" the fatherly editor asked.

"No, sir, I don't."

Perry looked up to meet Clark's confused gaze. "I take it from your expression that Lois didn't tell you about this before hand." Clark just shook his head. Perry grimaced. "This... this is Lois Lane's resignation from the Daily Planet."

"What?" Clark was stunned. How was that possible? Lois loved her job at the Planet. It was the most important thing in her life. "I'd better get over to her place, see what this is all about. Maybe I can talk her out of it?"

Perry smiled. It was a sad smile. "She knew that you'd come rushing over once you found out. She wanted me to ask you to clean any personal stuff out of her desk for her, and to bring it over when you came."

"But..."

Perry shook his head. "Just grab a box and put her stuff in it. Bring it with you." He turned away, his hand reaching for his eyes. Sighing, Perry turned his attention back to Clark. "But, by Elvis, once you're there I want you to put every ounce of persuasion you have into getting her to come back. It just won't be the Daily Planet anymore if she's not around. You know what I mean?"

"Yes, Chief, I definitely know what you mean."

Clark knocked on Lois' door. The door flew open and he was greeted by a very harried looking Lois Lane. She stepped back.

"Come in, Clark." She gave him a wry grin. "Took you a little longer to get here than I thought it would."

He held up the box of her stuff from the office. "I had trouble finding a box."

She nodded. "You can put that over there." She pointed to the kitchen table. "Thanks."

Clark noted the several large suitcases that were sitting by the front closet, and the open boxes that lay scattered about. Lois moved back to her bookshelves, pulled down a few things and put them in one of the boxes. It was obvious that Lois wasn't packing for a vacation. He walked over and stopped her with a touch on her arm.

She glanced up at him. "I guess you'd like to know what's going on?"

He led her over to a chair at the table and once she was seated, pulled one out for himself. "Perry said that you handed in your resignation."

She sighed. "Yeah, I'm moving to California, to be with Lucy."

Clark was instantly concerned. "Is there something wrong? Is Lucy all right?"

Lois shook her head. "No, no, Lucy's fine. I just have to get away, and I thought that California was as good a place as any." She shrugged. "I called the L.A. Times and they said they be very interested in a reporter of my caliber joining their staff. I'll just stay with Lucy for a time." She waved at the boxes scattered around her place. "I'll probably have to store most of this stuff until I can find a place of my own. Then I suppose..."

Clark placed a finger on Lois' lips, stopping her speech. "Lois, why are you doing this? Why would you even consider leaving Metropolis, and the job you've wanted all your life?"

She stood up and began to pace about the kitchen. "Things change, people change. Sometimes we have to do things that don't, on the surface, seem to make much sense, but in the big picture are necessary."

Clark stood and halted Lois' meanderings by placing his hands on her arms. He turned her toward him. "Lois, you're not making any sense. Now, what is this all about?"

Her lower lip trembled, then suddenly the dam broke and tears flooded from her eyes. "Oh, Clark, I don't want to leave, but I have no choice. I won't be the cause of Superman's destruction."

Clark frowned. "Superman's what? Lois I don't understand."

She gave Clark a hug, then pulled away and sat back down in the kitchen chair. "Think about it Clark. Think about what's been happening the last few months. The way I figure it; if I stay, one of three things are going to happen eventually. One, I'm going to die at the hands of some revenge seeking psycho. Two, I'm used to force Superman to do something terrible, or three, I'm used to force Superman to do something terrible and I'm killed. Under any of those options Superman is destroyed."

"Lois, I..."

"Shhhh, don't say anything. You know I'm right. If Superman were forced to commit some crime, or terrible act, in order to save me, you know that he would be eaten up by the guilt. Not to mention what it would do to the public's confidence in him." A sad half-smile tugged at her lips. "And I don't think it's being egotistical to say that if he perceived that I was killed because of him, he would be devastated. I know he has feelings for me, I can tell. And I love him too much to do that to him."

Clark reached across and placed his hand along her cheek. "Lois, we'd all be devastated if anything happened to you - for any reason."

Her smile didn't reach her eyes. "Yes, but the losses we may have to suffer in life don't have such far reaching consequences. Superman the ideal, and Superman the person are too important to this city, and this world, for me to selfishly try to hold onto."

Clark felt a chill run through his body. He knew only too well what Lois was feeling. It was something that had been greatly worrying him ever since the media had been spewing all that 'Superman's Girlfriend' stuff. He knew he was just as much to blame for those perceptions as Lois was. He should have been smarter about how he gave out his 'exclusives'. Spread it around more to other reporters instead of consistently singling her, or her partner, for the stories. And it was much more difficult to act aloof and imposing around her. He just couldn't help but let his feelings slip from time to time.

The stupidest thing he'd done was during the pheromone crises. He thought he was being clever in finding a way to kiss Lois like he'd always wanted to by using the pheromone as an excuse. But they weren't alone on that airfield. Besides Lois, and Luthor, being there, there had been several ground crewmen who'd heard his declaration of love for Lois Lane. The fact that later tests on the stuff showed that it didn't create feelings in people, merely lowered their inhibitions, allowing them to express deeply repressed emotions, only added fuel to the scandal sheets claims about him and Lois.

Deep down, a sickening feeling said that she was right, but he couldn't let her do this. "Lois, just go public with the fact that you and Superman don't have a relationship. That you are no more than friends."

Lois took Clark's hand in hers. "Do you really think that would work? Even if it were true, that I didn't love Superman, or that he had no feelings whatsoever for me. I think it's too late for denials now. Anything contrary said now would just look like feeble attempts to deflect the scrutiny and would only result in more."

"But, Lois, what about your friends here? What about Perry, and Jimmy... and me?" Clark could feel his stomach begin to knot.

She wiped at the tears with the back of her hand. "I'll miss them. I'll miss them a lot." She placed her hand on his chest. "And I think I'll miss you the most. I've never really had a best friend before. But my happiness isn't what's at stake here."

Clark stared at his hands. He was torn. As long as Lois stayed in Metropolis she would be a target, and his greatest fear was that someday he wouldn't be strong enough, fast enough, or smart enough to save her. In a cruel way, her leaving made the most sense. But how could he let her go?

"You know," she began with a bit of a hopeful edge to her voice. "You could come to California with me."

"What?"

"Come with me. What's to keep you here. Your family is in Kansas. You'd actually be closer to them." Lois' voice became more animated. "I'm sure the Times would love to have you. We could still be partners, and I would have the closest thing to a real family that I've ever had." Lois smiled through some new tears. "Not only would I have my sister close, but I'd have my best friend there too. A man who is more like a brother to me than any blood relation could ever be."

Suddenly the chill that Clark had felt earlier found its way to his heart. There it was, spelled out in black and white. Lois considered him her best friend... like a brother, but she loved Superman. For Superman she was willing to give up her life in Metropolis and move away. Clark was just the friend that she'd like to have around.

The surprising thing was, it didn't sound that bad to Clark. As much as he loved the Daily Planet, and his life in Metropolis, Lois was more important to him. And that was why he couldn't do as she asked. Where Clark went, Superman had to follow, and if Superman were around, then Lois would be in danger.

"I - I can't," he mumbled, apologetically.

Lois pulled a tissue from her pocket. Apparently she'd been needing them often over the last few hours. Wiping at her eyes, she nodded. "Of course, I understand. You feel an obligation to Perry and the Planet, and I can appreciate that."

Suddenly Clark's hearing picked up a police call. A bank robbery in progress. Not now, he thought, but knew that his wishes were of no consequence. He had to go.

"I'm sorry, Lois," he stammered. "But I've, er, got to get back to the office. I still have some work to get done today."

Lois bit her lip and nodded. More tears snuck out from the corner of her eyes. "Of course, I understand. I'm sure your work load will increase now that I'm gone." Both were standing now and she moved close to him. Standing on her tip toes she brushed a gentle kiss across his lips. "Goodbye, Clark."

It took all his will power to open the front door. "It's not good bye, Lois. Not yet." With one last look in her watery bright eyes, Clark turned, and hurried from her apartment.