Next Thread
Print Thread
#53630 07/07/08 03:06 PM
E
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
E
As odd as this sounds, it's nice to see that Lois and Clark have developed the ability to get into little tiffs without having them become full-blown battles. It's healthy of them to be able to resolve issues regarding unmatched expectations and hurt feelings.

I'm also glad that Lois felt able to tell Lucy the complete truth. There would have been a time where she wouldn't have known what to do. It's also kind of Perry to run interferance for Clark with Jimmy.

I'm quite happy for Jimmy and Lucy. I know that we've already met them in the series, but still... they seem like such a nice couple. I hope they enjoy their deserted island, even if it doesn't come with room service, The Blue Note or card games.

Elisabeth

Columnist
Columnist
Great chapter. I really like the relationship you are building for Lois and Clark.

Lois and Lucy's talk was just the right note for Lucy to understand how Lois feels and yet didn't freak Lucy out like Lois is.

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Carol, it's great to have you back! sloppy

I couldn't help giggling at this:

"I think I'd rather go back to Paris," Lois said looking aroundher with a slight frown on her face.

"Oh, come on. Where's your sense of adventure?"

"It's frozen!"

Clark smiled at her. "We're staying at the ice hotel in Sweden. Did you expect it to be warm?"

"Last night was," she muttered.
Ah, poor Lois! Well, I've never wanted to go to that ice hotel in northern Sweden, either!

Me the feminist couldn't help sighing at the idea that Jimmy would ask Clark and Perry for permission to marry Lucy, but Lois, who was the one who had been there for Lucy all her life no matter what, was not asked to give Lucy's marriage plans her blessing.

I'm glad that Lois told Lucy the truth about the nature of her and Clark's relationship.

I found this hugely interesting:

"What did she say?"

"She asked how you felt about it and said she'd wondered if we'd flown off to some tropical island after she was asleep because she never heard us. Either that or we were a lot quieter than Mom and Dad had been." She shuddered. "I'm glad she's the one who shared a wall with them and not me. I have enough trauma to deal with without that on top of it. I mean, I heard them once or twice when I fell asleep in her room, but she told me once that it rare the first time around but was an almost nightly occurrence after they remarried."

"Isn't that a good thing, to an extent? That they were together regularly?"

Lois shrugged. "I don't know. They only did after they fought and they fought all the time. I would much rather have had sexually frustrated parents who didn't fight constantly those last couple of years."
So not only did Sam and Ellen have a bad marriage, but they also had sex almost every night. I think that might explain why Lois would associate a bad relationship with a man with the idea of having sex with him. And that might be part of the reason for why she still can't make love to Clark.

One of the relatively few male FoLCs who comment on these boards, Arawn, recently said that most nfics here are written for women, not for men. And when I read this part, it struck me that this Clark might, generally speaking, appeal to women more than to men. I'm talking about his superhuman patience, of course. As a woman, I, too, admire and love Clark's incredible patience with and love for Lois. Imagine having a husband like that, who loves you so much that just sharing his life with you is more important to him than having any sex life whatsoever! But perhaps, if I were a man, I might think that a man should not deny his own needs like that and sacrifice his married sex life just because his wife is such a fragile flower.

Anyway, it is going to be very interesting to see how Lois finally learns to really, really, really love Clark to the point that she can also make love to him.

Ann

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
glad to see another post.

I should be alseep now, but I'm not.

I read about half before going to bed and I just couldn't sleep until I finished the story, so I got up to finish it.

So, I like that Lois and Clark are going to do something nice for Lucy and Jimmy. I just hope that that island has a fresh water supply for running water or there will be no joy after the first night!

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Great part, Carol. The ice hotel was sweet, the proposal was clap and island for Lcy and Jimmy hilarious, and that one
"Someday. And we can stay in bed all day but since there's no electricity, we'll have to do something besides have a movie marathon." She paused. "Someday."
was just thud

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
I admire the patience Clark is showing towards Lois. And I admire Lois's perseverance. She knows that the way she is isn't "normal" for a healthy young wife, and she's taking steps towards that "normalcy" one baby foot at a time.

But post traumatic stress disorder isn't something that people can just "get over" on their own. Unless she has some real therapy which both uncovers (which she has done some of already) and resolves (which she hasn't done yet) the issues which are oppressing her, she's not going to be the kind of woman she wants to be. She'll end up building defense and coping mechanisms to "work around" her problems instead of solving them. It's the same thing addicts do. They medicate themselves to mask the pain so they can function, but it's a temporary solution at best and an ineffective one in the long run. Even though Lois hasn't turned to drugs or alcohol or become a sex addict (which other young women in her situation have done), she's still not resolving the underlying issues. She's just pushing them off to the side.

I think we should see one or two very meaningful conversations with Alice, especially since that estimable lady has a degree in psychology. Even if she's not a trained therapist, she can help Lois deal with her issues instead of learning to avoid them.

And we could see some real progress, like Lois going into the bathroom for a hair brush while Clark is showering. Or if she undresses down to her undies before cocooning herself in Clark's poncho. Or if she hides Clark's sleep shorts and makes him hunt for them while she ogles him. Or maybe if she gives him a soft pat on the rear end as she passes him as he's making dinner.

She can't force herself to be intimate, of course. And she can't allow Clark to force her, else that will become just another coping mechanism. Clark is taking the right path with her, and it will eventually pay off if and when she learns to trust him intimately. I only hope she gets the help she needs to really face her deep-seated issues and resolve them once and for all.

And I hope it happens soon, because we're running short of parts left to post!

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard