Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#53561 07/05/08 05:50 PM
ShayneT Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Sorry about the long delay. Between a four day vacation, my mother's hand sugery, my grandfather's knee injections and other family obligations, I haven't had any time to write until now. I hope this segmant meets with your approval.

#53562 07/05/08 08:05 PM
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Well worth the wait. So now the US is making Clark an offer hard to refuse. and likely too good to be true.

Very interesting.

Framework4
#53563 07/06/08 12:56 AM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I loved the description of how Lois and Clark reacted to one another. They are beginning to get embarrassed around one another, because now there is more than simple friendship and sympathy between them. And for Lois's sake, Calrk wouldn't mind staying in this world.

This was moving:

Yet there was something about the suit that called to another part of him, a part that he'd suppressed long ago. He'd grown up reading the comics, and Superman had been one of his early models for what it meant to be a hero. Superman had helped people and had done what was right even when it wasn't easy. He'd had a code.

Helping people and having a code of honor had brought him into the marines and later into national security. It had shaped his life; the thought of giving his life for his country wasn't something he looked forward to, but it was something he was willing to do.

It had been disappointing to learn that some of his superiors let pragmatism supplant that idealism. Others, especially the civilian leadership appeared never to have had any honor at all.

Yet it didn't change the value of the ideal. No country ever lived completely up to its ideals, because human beings were flawed. They made mistakes and sometimes allowed emotion to override judgment. Sometimes people were corrupt.

The man on the chair wasn't a human being. He was something else, and by all reports he was working to represent that dream. As dangerous as this man was, he had a chance to make more of a difference than anyone.

He'd set the highest standard for himself when he donned that costume, and the agent hoped that he didn't stumble and prove to be as corrupt as most men with power became.

A fictional Superman had made him aspire to be a better person when he was a child. How much more influential would the real thing be?

Heroes inspired people to be better. With the right inspiration, and enough people, it was possible to truly change the world.
Wonderfully written, and inspiring indeed.

However, I think that Mr Smith's plans for Clark are too lofty:

Mr. Smith continued. “The problem, as I see it is that you aren't seeing the full potential of your abilities.”

“What do you mean?”

“You say you are here to help, and so far you've been living up to that. Yet there are other ways to help people.”

“I have my hands full as it is,” Clark said. He was suddenly reminded that there were tens of thousands of people in China who still needed help. “I really shouldn't be here at all…”

He rose suddenly.

“How would you like to be able to feed two million people in Africa, steer hurricanes away from populated area and cut the source of human disease in half?”

Clark sank back into his chair.

“I'm listening.”
Oh no!!!!

Superman is Superman. He isn't a deity. He isn't, and shouldn't be, almighty, or pretty much almighty.

Say no, Clark!

And welcome back with a new part soon, Shayne!

Ann

#53564 07/06/08 01:18 AM
Kerth
Kerth
There are sure to be snags...

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#53565 07/06/08 06:16 AM
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Fascinating s usual, Shayne. Still have no idea in which universe you'll let them end up in. And what's the utilization of Superman's powers mentioned at the end.

Looking forward to 42. Will it be the answer to life, the universe, and everything?

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
#53566 07/06/08 09:00 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Hi, I´m back home again, and so I have access to MS Word and everything to give you a proper FDK!

She’d been wearing a short robe, but Clark couldn’t see why she’d have a reason to be embarrassed. She could have worn a robe covering her head to toe and he’d have still been intoxicated by her scent, by the sound of her breathing and the…
His face suddenly felt hot and he was suddenly glad the lights in the room were dim.
Nice! What about a chapter (later in the story) for the nfic section? hyper

#53567 07/06/08 09:05 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
It seems I got something wrong. I had somehow lost the name Agent White and thought Agent Smith was it. Sorry!

#53568 07/06/08 09:31 AM
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
Somehow this feels like Clark is standing at the crossroads wondering what the value of playing the blues is.

Elisabeth

#53569 07/06/08 02:40 PM
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Good part as always. Things are looking up for our Man of Steel, at least with the authorities, but we all know that it won't be that easy.

It's an interesting debate as to which world Clark and the rest of flight whatever end up in. This world is so much more complicated than the world that they came from. Still, it would be easier for the normal humans to adjust and adapt to this new world than it would be for Clark. Is this world really able to accept and embrace the concept of a superhero?

Also, the added pressure of the whole Clark Kent/Superman - Lois Lane stuff that the whole world knows would make it impossible for the two of them to ever have any sort of life together, even as just friends. The old 'you'd be in constant danger from my enemies' schtick would soon rear its ugly head if he stayed. Doesn't matter if the world decides to believe in a Superman, there will always be someone who wants to be Lex Luthor.

Take Lois back to Clark's world. It would be fun seeing her trying to cope with the whole;Daily Planet, Perry White, Jimmy Olsen, and such stuff. Talk about your culture shock.

Great story, looking forward to more.

Tank (who thinks that a hard-bitten, world traveling reporter like Lois in Clark's 'kinder and gentler' world would give a new meaning to the term 'Mad Dog Lane')

#53570 07/07/08 02:48 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Loved this section.

Makes me wonder what plans Mr. White has Clark????

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
#53571 07/07/08 04:30 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yay! Yahoo! Another chapter! I'm sorry that real life commitments have encroached on your writing time. Here's hoping that everyone in the family stays well.

As ever, an excellent chapter, Shayne, ending with a vaguely ominous cliff-hanger.

“How would you like to be able to feed two million people in Africa, steer hurricanes away from populated areas and cut the source of human disease in half?”

Clark sank back into his chair.

“I’m listening.”
It sounds good, but what's the catch? There's always some sort of catch to these offers. Maybe that's why the comic-book Superman is a free agent. He makes his own decisions.

And the Clark - Lois attraction is heating up!

It felt like an eternity since Clark had seen Lois. He stared at her for a long moment, wondering how he’d forgotten how good she looked. It was almost as though she’d become even more beautiful since the last time he’d seen her.
“You gave me the courage to stand up and do what I should have done a long time ago,” Clark said. “Not everyone can say that.”
The essence of their relationship. We need Superman, but Superman needs Lois Lane.

Clark said, “I broke a foster brother’s arm when I was thirteen. The look on my foster mother’s face….that was the day I decided I wasn’t going to hurt anyone ever again.”

The smell of seared flesh came to his nostrils and he looked away from Lois. He’d violated that promise in China already, and even though it had been to save lives, it still sickened him.
That was an excellent reminder that sometimes we must do things that we don't want to do. Necessity - the harshest master. I didn't post a review for that chapter, but Clark's recognition of the need for a field amputation, and his sick nausea afterward, were very moving.

He’d always felt like an outsider, like the stranger staring in at a world he would never truly been a part of. It had taken traveling to another universe to find someone who understood him the way Lois had.

The desire to return home had been a burning need since this entire debacle had begun, but strangely he was beginning to feel content about the idea of staying.
Maybe....but it's still better if they go back into Clark's universe! Our world is too screwed up for them. Clark's identity is blown here, and Lois has nothing except Lucy, who really belongs in the other world. She's lost her job (although, since she's Lois Lane she'll always have another), she's having trouble with her sources, she's on the Internet accused of bestiality, has lost her privacy....she really needs to go and be the award-winning reporter for the Daily Planet in Clark's world.

Opening the door quietly, the agent froze for a moment as he realized that security had been breached. Despite the alerts by the others that there had been a momentary lapse in the security cordon, he’d hoped not to have to deal with the situation on his watch. They’d been waiting for this opportunity for several days after several mistakes earlier in the week. He closed the door gently and then began walking away. He murmured into his lapel, setting a pre-planned series of events in motion.
Oh no! What is the evil plan? (And why do I assume it's evil? Maybe because you've spent the whole story implying that?) You've shown this agent to be an honest ex-Marine with ideals. Why did he hope that he wouldn't have to deal with the situation on his watch? Could whatever it is they're planning be....evil?

Part of him was able to maintain objectivity. The target was something to be tracked and monitored closely until it was proven dangerous or hostile. It was in the unique position of being both a distinct military threat and a potential military asset and being able to make its own decisions.
This is heartbreaking - Clark is an "it"! It's what he's always been afraid of.

Helping people and having a code of honor had brought him into the marines and later into national security. It had shaped his life; the thought of giving his life for his country wasn’t something he looked forward to, but it was something he was willing to do.

It had been disappointing to learn that some of his superiors let pragmatism supplant that idealism. Others, especially the civilian leadership, appeared never to have had any honor at all.
Wow is that true! I'll refrain from more lest I go into a full rant. One thing to ponder: We get the government we deserve.

A fictional Superman had made him aspire to be a better person when he was a child. How much more influential would the real thing be?

Heroes inspired people to be better. With the right inspiration, and enough people, it was possible to truly change the world.
Oh, Shayne, it's something to look forward to!

And now, in the category of no good deed going unpunished....
The man nodded. “Worse, there are certain extremist elements of society who have been making threats. We suspect it’ll only be a matter of time before those threats extend to the passengers, especially after the news media gets to them. We may have to set them up with new identities through witness protection.”

Clark scowled. When he’d tried to save the plane he hadn’t intended to disrupt so many lives. He’d only intended to save them.
And in the ominous-implications department:
“How long do you think it will be before this happens again?” Mr. Smith said. “If we’re surrounded by worlds that are similar to our own, then it’s only a matter of time before more of them develop the same technology.”

Clark felt a sudden sense of alarm. The idea of a whole cluster of worlds developing the same technology at nearly the same time alarmed him. It meant that his own world was in just as much danger as this one, but with fewer defenses because they were fifteen years behind and without someone like him to defend them.
Ooh boy! We're in trouble now - it's multiple-universe, dimension-spanning, run-and-hide-beneath-the-covers time! Yes, we do need to find out more about it. But is this something where finding out more could be lethal, not only for the researchers, but for our universe as well? Maybe the reason it hasn't happened before is that it's Darwinian - the universes that develop this technology soon implode or fall apart through the rifts or die in some horrible manner. Maybe our world (and Clark's world, so far as we know) are only still standing because of the presence of the friendly Kryptonian.

Once again, Shayne, you're making thought-provoking comments with only a few words.

Things I'm dying to know:

What's this mysterious deal that Clark is being offered? Is this going to involve weather control or something? But improving the weather in one area implies changing it in another - and once the weather can be controlled, it's another weapon. Is Clark willing to be used like that? And will he see the implications? (I'm sure if he doesn't, then Lois will.)

Will Lois be considered a tool to control Clark? (Yes, obviously, but how far is the government willing to go? They said they don't want to make him angry.)

Can the mad scientists investigate the rifts without killing themselves or our universe?

Can Clark and Lois get back to his universe? Isn't the best thing some sort of deus ex machina, where they go back in time so that the whole thing never happened, so the rifts never developed between his world and ours? Or, can Clark do something to burn out or totally fritz up the technology, to prevent dimension-hopping? (This involves the background assumption that dimensional rifts are wrong, and they're a danger to any universes they're in or connect with.)

And what about the investigation of the technology? It's fascinating, and if I were a researcher, I'd sell my house, move to Timbuktu, to be in on this research. Is it going to set up a Golden Age of dimension hopping?

The scary thing is, if the dimensional rifts stay, and if Superman can come through one into our world, what's to stop the comic book villains from coming to our world as well? I'd sure hate to see Darkseid, or Doomsday, or face the machinations of a suave Lex Luthor. After all, the presence of a superhero implies the need for a super-villain. And we don't have the whole Justice League here. Even Superman needs help sometimes.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard