Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
That was a great chapter, Carol. smile1
Melanie

~Mel~
Columnist
Columnist
I thought the talk with Perry and Clark was really lovely. It was nice to see Clark bond with a father figure. You have Perry's voice down pat.

Really enjoyed this chapter very much.

Top Banana
Top Banana
Carol, I have been following your story but been too busy to leave feedback. Darn graduate school! Anyway, this was absolutely lovely. I was so excited to see another part posted. I almost sent the police after you last week! evil

Clark nodded again, still staring out the window, wondering desperately how to start this conversation. Finally, he just blurted it out. "We've been married for three and a half years, Perry, and I've never made love to my wife." His head hung and his eyes were closed as he waited to see what the editor's response would be.
This had to be really hard for Clark and I love Perry for listening. Sometimes, having someone just to listen to us makes all the difference in the world.
"You got it." He stood and started pacing. "The first time... The only time I've ever seen my wife's body was when he was about to rape her. I've never *really* kissed her. I've never touched her. I've never taken her clothes off as we get ready to... But *he* has. He *did*."

He took a ragged breath, before practically exploding. "Damn it, he took that from me! From us. If it had happened before we got married, like Wayne and Maggie, that would have been one thing. If it had happened after we'd been together like that, it still wouldn't be pleasant to know that someone else had done things to her. But for him to do those things to her... Not with her, mind you, but to her, before I did them *with* her... Her first experience with a man taking her clothes off... Her first experience with a man touching her... and it's him. I'm not saying it would have been easy whenever it happened, but even though we've been married for as long as we have, the only memories she has of a man is of *him*."
This is just so touching. Poor Clark. But together he and Lois can make new memories and move forward. I sure hope that Lois will soon want to be with him so that he can show her what it feels like to be made love to.

This was a sweet chapter. I loved it! Carol, you bring these characters to life. Well don and I'll see you on Wednesday with part 35!

BRAVA!
~Sheila

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Aw, good venting. I'm glad Clark has a confidant when it gets too much. Now then, on a more serious note, you're going to stop posting until July when I get back from kayaking, right? goofy goofy

Kidding, wink great part!
JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
To me, the key quote of this part, and maybe the key quote of the entire fic so far, is this:

"She doesn't really understand what it means to love, does she?"

Clark shook his head. "No. She understands what it means to love. On some level, she loves me. She wasn't ever planning on leaving me even though she 'knew' I was having an affair. But really, she loves Lucy. She never left Lucy. She married me, even though we hadn't seen each other in years. We'd written, but never spoken. In theory, I could have been an ax murderer good at hiding things with words. Or it's possible that, no matter what I'd told her, I would expect sex - because we were married, or as... some sort of 'payment' or 'gesture of appreciation' for working hard or who knows what. Even if I never actually forced her, I certainly *could* have pressured her or made her feel guilty about it, things like that that would have made her feel like she couldn't refuse. But for some reason, she decided that a home for Lucy was more important than the risks she took marrying me. She knows what it means to love. What she doesn't understand is what it means to *be* loved."
Wow. Lois understands what it means to love, and she dows love, too - she loves Lucy so unswervingly, and she does love Clark, too, in her own way. What she doesn't know, and what she needs to learn, is how to be given love by someone else, and how to accept that love.

Clark and Lois's big, big problem - that Lois isn't ready for intimacy - probably has to do with the fact that she doesn't fully trust the kind of love that others are prepared to give to her. And, of course, she can't believe, not not on a gut level, that sex can be an expression of love. Consider her parents. Their marriage basically meant that Ellen sold herself and her body to her husband in return for financial security, almost like she had been a prostitute. Because, just like a prostitute, she could never ask her husband that he should give himself to her. He wasn't even ashamed to admit that he had a lot of girlfriends, and he had even worded his marriage vows in such a way that they didn't include a vow of fidelity. When Sam and Ellen had sex, their intimacy basically proved that Ellen was a kept woman and Sam a free agent. Sex turned Ellen into a piece of property whose body Sam was free to use for his own pleasure. It's no wonder that Lois doesn't want to do anything that could put herself in Ellen's position. Yes, she should trust Clark, and in a way she does - but she hasn't learnt how to *be* loved, and she hasn't begun to figure out how to accept sex as an expression of love.

Add to that, of course, the fact that Lois was almost raped. All her fears of sex must have been magnified, and her gut instinct, which tells her that sex has nothing to do with love, must have been so strongly reincforced. Because what can be less loving than rape? No act can separate sex from love as completely as rape does. How can a person who hasn't learnt to *be* loved trust sex as an expression of love, after she has been assaulted and almost raped?

And that near-rape was Lois's first own experience of sex. I was so moved by Clark's agony. If only he had been allowed to be the first. Because even if Lois hadn't been really ready for it at that time, it wouldn't have been horrible for her. Their sex wouldn't have been an expression of the opposite of love.

Her first experience with a man touching her... and it's him. I'm not saying it would have been easy whenever it happened, but even though we've been married for as long as we have, the only memories she has of a man is of *him*."

He started pacing the walls and the ceiling, not noticing Perry's startled look when he did so. "I almost wish we'd gotten carried away on our wedding night, and even if she'd said afterwards that it was awkward and painful or even if it wasn't, but for some other reason, that it never should have happened and it couldn't happen again until the time was right, at least he wouldn't have been the first one.

She told me she wants to want us to be together like that, but she can't - not right now. She told me she doesn't want to remember what it's like to have another man do those things to her but she has no idea when she'll be ready to let me try to erase those memories - or at least override them with new, better ones.
Oh, poor, poor Clark.

I loved how patiently and respectfully Perry listened to Clark's tale. I also loved how Perry was the one who pointed out the distinction between sex without love and sex with love:

The difference between being kissed and touched and such while being raped and being kissed and touched while making love with your husband or wife are two very different things. Remember that."
I also loved that Perry told Clark this:

"Words do mean something though, Clark. When they come from the heart, they do mean something. You can't just tell her, but you also can't *just* show her. She needs to hear it to."
Yes indeed, it is important to show, but it is equally important to tell. Clark has begun to understand that, but I'm still glad that Perry reinforced it for him.

What a wonderful, moving chapter, Carol.

Ann

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Wonderful part, Carol.
Finally, he just blurted it out. "We've been married for three and a half years, Perry, and I've never made love to my wife."
thud I never saw that one coming.

And 60 parts total. WOW. Wait, does this mean Clark will have to what another 26 parts and what, another year or two? Poor boy. *me goes and looks up Paul in jail cell. Drawing and Quartering isn't just for high treason anymore*

And you finally told us about their love language. I only caught it almost a sentence later what Perry was talking about. So clever interwoven.

Looking forward to the rest, Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
I'm glad you guys enjoyed this section and I'm glad you didn't send guys with little pointy sticks after me last week Sheila!

I did make quite a bit of progress this weekend, but a big chunk of that was getting to some of the pre-written stuff and needing to only tweak it. Progress has slowed down again since then, but hopefully not to the point of needing to but back the posting schedule again.

That said... Michael - you never know how long Clark's going to have to wait wink .

Ann - when I typed that it surprised me to realize how true it was. Some people are able to love, but unable to accept it. They know how to sacrifice and be there and do what has to be done and love someone else, but they don't understand what it means to let someone do that for them when the time comes. Lois hasn't ever had anyone but Clark love her like that. How we are raised has a huge impact on who we are as adults and Lois wasn't raised knowing what it means to have the unconditional love of someone else - her parents, mainly. And parents are usually where we learn what roles in a marriage should be like [right or wrong]. Lucy had another model to see, even though she didn't know how flawed it was 'behind closed doors' in that she doesn't know all the aspects of L/C's marriage, but it's much closer to the loving relationship a marriage should be than S/E's ever was. She sees both of them sacrificing for the other and for her and I think that makes her more able to have that kind of relationship more easily than Lois. We'll see more of her and Jimmy before long.

Anyway - I think I have a bit of the dialog finally worked out in the next section - so look for it soon smile .
Carol

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Three and a half years... poor, poor Clark. mecry He has proved that he's indeed a very, very, very, super patient man. grovel

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
I, too, was moved by the description of how loving Lois is. I'm proud of Clark, who frequently feels unloved (even though he knows his feelings lie), for pointing out exactly how loving Lois is. He understands what Lois sacrificed to be with him, even though he also knows that it shouldn't have been a sacrifice.

I was glad that Perry talked about the differences between rape and marital sex. I just wish he had pointed out that the difference is because rape isn't really sex; it's violence. I know that we call it sex, but the differences between sex and rape are so vast that at some point we need to use different language.

Finally, I wanted to assure you that this section didn't feel repetitive. While it did include a recap of much of the story, it did it in a different voice. Also, much of what was discussed happened so many pages ago that it didn't hurt to have a reminder of what that felt like.

Regrets seem to be an interesting theme running through this segment. Clark almost has regrets that he didn't let things get out of hand on their wedding night. He doestn't quite have regrets that he didn't start dating her right after graduation. Regrets, near regrets, not quite regrets--all interesting stuff.

Elisabeth

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Finally?...

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
S
SJH Offline
Features Writer
Features Writer
S
Clark's a saint, but he's not dead-yet.

"I'm red-eyed, tired and drunk" Teri Hatcher
"Fun will now commence" 7of9

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard