Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#53253 06/22/08 05:17 PM
cp33 Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
What a terrific story. I really enjoyed the humor and the touches that made the story Lois and Clark. You did a great job with the characterizations.

Perhaps Mr. Drayton will make another appearance?

#53254 06/22/08 05:32 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
THUG #6 clap

FDK'r #2

(I mean, 'Toc)

TicAndToc :o)

------

"I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three."
-Elayne Boosler
#53255 06/22/08 06:02 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Freakin' hilarious!

Five, who was definitely a few wontons short of a PuPu Platter, just stared at me as if I’d just made the Eiffel Tower disappear.
I love that it's from the POV of a thug. (Excuse me, a Temporarily Hired Underworld Goon.)

#53256 06/22/08 06:48 PM
Columnist
Columnist
This was so great! That whole Thug #6 thing actually reminded me of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead! which is one of my all-time favorite plays. You've put a bit of a different spin on it, but the basic premise is seeing what happens when you take secondary characters and make them protagonists.

This was very funny to read, and I have to agree that a sequel might be in order here. Great story!

#53257 06/22/08 07:33 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
That was really so funny! It was indeed like an episode from the old Batman and Robin TV show, if you saw it from one of the thugs' perspective. Except Joe Drayton wasn't much like a thug to me.

Come to think of it, this fic was quite a bit like some of the old, very G-rated but also very sweetly absurdly Chaplinesque Silver Age Superman comic books! This has already been quoted, but I have to quote it all over again:
I could see right away that he was feeding the card in the wrong direction.

“Give me that,” I said as I snatched the card from him. I flipped it over, swiped it, and the door buzzed open. Four immediately went inside. Five, who was definitely a few wontons short of a PuPu Platter, just stared at me as if I'd just made the Eiffel Tower disappear.

“It's a gift,” I said finally. “Now get in.”
I would have laughed so madly that I would have spluttered my milk if I had read this when I was a kid!

So funny! Welcome to the boards, Mr AlonzoMosleyFBI!

Ann

#53258 06/22/08 10:07 PM
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
clap clap

Framework4
#53259 06/23/08 01:20 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Oh, great fun!

Nicely written - fast paced rhythm, a tap dance of a story. smile

c.

#53260 06/23/08 04:25 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Loved this.

Your husband needs to get his own login, though wink It is the next step in the addiction process... evil

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
#53261 06/23/08 04:51 AM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
I agree. It was funny, well-paced, and worthy of a Kerth nomination come January (or whenever). And I hadn't considered Carol's viewpoint that it was a "tap dance" of a story, but it is. It's light without being silly, revealing, and the characterizations rang true - except, perhaps, the easy acceptance of Nigel's flimsy story. But that can be excused by Drayton not knowing that Clark and Lois are building an airtight case against Luthor and didn't want to take action too soon. Of course, we expect to see Mr. Drayton pop up again in another story, perhaps assisting Bobby Bigmouth? He probably wouldn't want to be a Temporarily Hired Underworld Goon again, even if he does get his own key card.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#53262 06/23/08 06:46 AM
Kerth
Kerth
"Nobody ever thinks of the henchmen..." ;-)

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#53263 06/24/08 01:42 AM
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
(I'm AlonzoMosleyFBI, and I approve... er... wrote this message.)

Much thanks to all of you who took the time to read my story. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

As for a sequel, I rule nothing out. It's just a matter if I get a burr in my britches to do it again. Mrs. Mosley will keep you informed. :p

Thanks again, and take care.

AlonzoMosleyFBI

lisa in the sky with diamonds
#53264 06/24/08 02:06 PM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
excellent thumbsup well done

Lois: Clark, you don't have to be embarrassed. That's what friends are for. Just tell me how much.
Clark: Lois, I want you to go out with me!
#53265 06/26/08 07:00 AM
Kerth
Kerth
THUG #6 is a title: Temporarily Hired Underworld Goon.
I literally laughed at loud at that, causing the person who was walking past my office to stick their head in to see what was so funny. blush
definitely a few wontons short of a PuPu Platter
<more laughter> Clearly I chose my lunch today unwisely. I should have gone out for Chinese.
“You’re right,” I said to Four. “Those are nice legs.”
You keep surprising, slipping in these little gems that I can't resist laughing at. This was an awesome "entrance" for Lois. smile1

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
#53266 06/26/08 10:30 AM
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
I just love having new authors on the boards. dance (especially when they write well.) party

I like how you identify Lois as the brunette with the great legs. I also love how the thug that is a few wontons short is also not bright enough to know that it is pointless to shoot at Superman.

Very interesting that THUG#6 never completely changes alliances but still manages to be a simultaneous "hero" (by saving Lois) and "villain" (by not telling the truth about Nigel. Such a man is to be feared.

Please, don't have Lisa keep us posted. Logins are free and don't require a minimum number of uses. You can post any additional stories all by yourself. laugh

Elisabeth
P.S. Have you ever considered nanowrimo?

#53267 06/28/08 07:49 AM
Blogger
Blogger
Hey! I have a profile now!

As for Nanowrimo, yes, I took a whack at it a couple of years back and fell behind after day six or so.

I guess it's a matter of the particular story. I've got about two dozen short stories I've half started and never went back to. With "Welcome Wagon", the original idea was strong enough, but I got stuck thinking of the exact nature of crime Joe would be involved in. Once I found a L&C episode I could follow up with this story, everything fell into place.

Joe coming back would require another generous slice of serendipity. We shall see. :p

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard