Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#53195 06/20/08 07:32 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Carol,
I am so glad you posted again! Thank God, I was really going through withdrawals here and worried what had happened to you!

Definitely a tough chapter but again with a lot of progress. They certainly had some deep conversations. I had never really thought about what Clark lost that night but always concentrated on Lois. So I am pleased that you allowed Lois and us to see the other side too. And Clark now has permission to talk to Perry! That ought to be a relief! I don't know how much longer he would be able to keep everything bottled up inside.

I enjoyed their excursions in Greece and Turkey and meeting the Canadian couple.

Should be an interesting next few days. Please don't take too long to post the next part.

Natascha thumbsup

E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
So much healing is going on that you make simple conversations to be as engaging as action scenes. Having never read the precedent I have no idea what it was that you cut out, but I can say that this didn't feel as if it were lacking anything. In fact sometimes cutting things out makes for a better story--tighter.

Thanks for posting again. I hope the next few parts come easier to you.

Elisabeth
edit: Wait a minute, I think I have read that, but it was many years ago and you know how I am with names. Anywho, your story wasn't lacking anything. You made a good choice.

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Delightful part.

Framework4
Columnist
Columnist
Carol, I am so glad that you had them talk about Clark's feelings. It is important for them both to share.

How old is Lois now?

Columnist
Columnist
This is a great story and I who generally never read a story till it is finished have been reading this one as posted since about Chapter 25. When downloading something caught my eye, I read and got hooked.

This was a very moving chapter in that Lois finally understands that she isn't the only one affected. I think this is an emotional growth for her. Particularly her telling him it is okay to talk to Perry.

I too can't seem to figure out what you cut. I think you conveyed what needed to be conveyed. I also think that sometimes cutting things make for a tighter, smoother flowing story. Sometimes people can get over wordy in trying to write a scene to the point that they loose there focus and confuse the reader. I know I tend to be to wordy.

Please post soon. hyper

Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
I haven't commented yet, but I have been following this story. It is a really great story, you write their feelings and emotions very well. I look forward to the next part, great stuff.

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I'm afraid I have to start by getting a bit Off Topic right away:

Anyway, I *finally* made some progress on LtL yesterday and I've *finally* decided about a snippet of conversation in this chapter. I've cut it out. Labby said she'd allow it on the archive but only because of precedent set in Becky Bain's In A Dark Time - but that she wouldn't allow the text in question there if it was submitted now either.
This bothers me. The Archive has become more G-rated than before, more extremely touchy about anything that smacks the slightest bit of sex. Becky Bain's story was allowed there before, but it wouldn't have been uploaded now. Why must the Archive have such über-strict standards? And why the change?

It's not the way this was written or that it's explicit or anything like [I don't think it could get any more unexplicit and still have them talking] that but rather that the topic in and of itself is always nfic in her mind
frown

I discussed it with 4 betas who agreed that it's not necessary for the story but neither was it superfluous - it does show some of the growth of their relationship. It's a total of about 400 words out of the nearly 5700 in this chapter, but I'm taking them out. And I don't do nfic so this was a fairly difficult decision for me - I had no idea that the topic itself was considered that or I wouldn't have written it in the first place
Carol, you don't do nfic and you wrote something that you would never have considered nfic, but you were told it was. I'm sorry the Archive must be so juvenile when it comes to anything sex-related - I guess that if you are going to upload a story where Lois and Clark have a baby together and you want to explain where the baby comes from, it must either be delivered by a spaceship or a stork?

Personally I believe that we were cheated out of something because that bit of conversation was cut out. There is something about how Lois shies away from intimacy as such that needs to be explained a bit more.

Anyway, back to the story. In a way it was difficult to listen to Clark and Lois, because there was a lot of pain in their conversation, and when it comes to intimacy there are no real signs of a new development. But there was nevertheless a lot of healing here. I was very glad that Clark could tell Lois some of his own pain, and it was lovely that Lois realized that she must give Clark the chance to really talk about his whole situation with someone who can be trusted. I'm delighted that they chose Perry. I'm very glad, too, that Perry will be allowed to tell Alice, and that Lois will, therefore, be able to talk about her own situation with Alice.

And because you said that their sightseeing in Istanbul included the Blue Mosque, and since I automatically get interested in anything that is blue - yes, I'm weird that way - I had to google it. The Blue Mosque apparently isn't very blue, but it sure is impressive!

[Linked Image]

Looking forward to the next part, and what Clark's conversation with Perry can lead to!

Ann

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
LOL, I think I remember blue carpet squares inside for worshipping if that makes you any better, Ann.

Great part, Carol! Count me in the withdrawal club :p , so I was quite stoked to see a new part. Definitely looking forward to Clark and Perry's upcoming conversation; (and they said the semi-colon was dying) it was just phenomenal of Lois to suggest it, and I'm sure Clark has a lot to get off his chest. Plus it just seems like Clark needs someone to say, "Hey, it's gonna be ok." I mean, we all know it will be, and he says it to Lois, but it's about time someone said it to him.

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Carol, a great part.

About the stuff you cut. Well, I only skimmed over Becky Bain's story when you mentioned it the first time. I'm sort of split in that regard. On one hand I can't get myself to really read something so whammy if I know of it before hand (dead Lois and raped Lois especially) and it twists my gut, on the other hand, I want to know how the subject was approached from a writing point of view.

So I think I know what part you meant. And knowing what I think you've cut, I could see that part in there when they talked about stuff. It wouldn't have felt out of place.

I was a bit surprised myself at how the mere concept is off limits in the gfic section. But the rules are the rules and I'm happy to live by them in here smile

Michael

Edit: I spoke with Labby and cleared some stuff up about what is okay and what isn't on this subject.

And in that regard some musings on the rating:

I know of a few sitcoms that where PG-13 that mentioned it in a way so if you knew what they were talking about, you got the point. And given how those shows focused on teenagers and usually held a bit of morale between all the fun, it was a very valuable topic to include and help them deal with this subject and not be embarrassed.

And at the same time, it was more veiled than what is shown in Becky Bain's story, so I can see the line and why her section is considered too much.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
A
Features Writer
Features Writer
A
Just a short comment on the Blue Mosque...

I don't have access to my pictures, and it's been about five years since I visited, but I recall the interior having a lot of blue. I found a few pics online that seem to show that as well (it's just accent but given that it's consistent throughout this huge temple, the name makes sense).

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And Carol, since I'm already posting, I'll tell you again how much I like this chapter. It is painful to read in that it was not an easy conversation for them to have, but it really shows their relationship growing. And I particularly like the fact that Lois clearly loves Clark enough to give him permission to discuss something so personal with someone else.

Features Writer
Features Writer
thats an cool pic. Like the story seems they are getting really close. love it loveit thumbsup thumbsup way up

I will and always be a big fan of Lois and Clark forever and forever.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I've identified pretty strongly with Lois through this whole story. So I'm with her on the "I guess this affected Clark directly too, so I guess he probably wants to talk to someone, so it's okay if he does, but really I think it's kind of weird, and I hope he doesn't bring it up too often, 'cause I might change my mind." But it should be interesting to see Perry's reaction, so I'm excited about the next part (or whatever part that turns out to be) anyway. smile

I think it would help to reassure Lois if Clark pointed out that he loves her irrespective of any physical attraction as well. She knows now that he's willing to wait for however long she needs, and that's great; but it means he's always waiting, and that's scary. She needs some times when he's not waiting, so that she can have some control of their relationship. Does she really *know*, deep down, that he married her because she's his best friend and soulmate and he wouldn't be complete growing old by himself or with anyone but her?

Whether Clark will think to tell her that, however, I don't know. wink

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Very well written and very well handled.

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Hey guys! It's been a good week fic-wise for me smile . I managed to connect this to the next written part [which needs some rewriting since so much has changed but..] so I inundated my BRs' inboxes this weekend. So look for three posts this week, but I'll mention that in the next fic post too wink .

Natascha - no, just a rough week last week wink . The Clark/Perry conversation will be soon. And look for the next part here in a bit.

Elisabeth - they did come easier - thanks smile . I'm glad it worked as is.

Framework - thank you smile .

cp33 - Lois is 20. She's still so young. Clark is now 22.

kmar - Oooo - glad to have you! I really shouldn't read WiPs [grumble - where's ML?!?! mutter wink ].

LoveLandC - thank you for commenting - glad you're enjoying.

Ann - am going to skip the OT stuff - I commented in the other thread smile . Perry is a good one for them to talk to. And it's soon.

JD - I'm so jealous of people who've been to all kinds of places frown . I've been exactly next to nowhere wink . Yeah - I recently discovered the semi-colon - dunno why I never used it much before. Yes, Clark does have stuff to get off his chest and I'm glad Lois thought of it too wink .

Michael - thank you smile .

Anon - have I mentioned you rock? And thank you for the picture.

lovesuper97 - thank you! Closer is good.

Amy - LOL! That is how Lois sees it and you've inspired a snippet of conversation though it'll be a while before it gets posted. Thanks!

James - Thank you!

Thanks again everyone - and look for 34 later today!
Carol

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard