Features Writer
Well, what do you think?

#52920 06/08/08 08:16 PM
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Wonderful.
Being buried alive was worse than Cho could have imagined....His face tight, Colonel Kwan ignored the crowds milling aimlessly in the streets...The one thing he knew was that as long as his father was there, everything was going to be all right. His father could do anything. He was the closest person to being Superman Cho had ever known.

Current hallucinations notwithstanding.
It has been said before but again your "spear carriers" have depth and feeling. Delightful! They really help to round your tales out and give us the mood, to make even Superman feel real.
This man...spoke Mandarin with a strong Shanghai accent. He’d probably learned to speak Wu first
Those little details, wonderful.
“I need your help....I can’t do this without you,” the man said.
Having Clark asking for help, really shows us just who this man is!
There was no need to go into the fact that his name actually matched that of the comic book character. That was a coincidence that would stretch people’s sense of credulity.
Good, Clark will be able to have a secret identity when he gets home.

Framework4
#52921 06/08/08 08:48 PM
Kerth
Kerth
If they're shutting down the experiment I wonder how Clark will get home. Can't see him staying in our world - he wants to help everyone else get home.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#52922 06/09/08 05:55 AM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Forgive me, Shayne, but I'm too tired to comment much!

But this was another superb chapter. I loved the interview, how it was set up, and how Lois introduced herself:

“My name is Lois Lane,” she said turning slightly toward the audience. “I've spent most of my career trying to overcome the name my parents gave me. But tonight, it serves as more than just a tribute to a fictional ideal.”
Yeah!!! clap

And this was absolutely great, too:

“So you wear the costume as a homage to the character.”

“I wear it because people know what it means,” Clark said. “I have seen the insignia in Myanmar, in Iraq in Turkey and Istanbul. People who have never seen a word in English still recognize the costume and they know what it means.”

“What does it mean?”

“It means I'm here to help.”
Perfect!

Superman helping out at the earthquake site was great, too. Like Patrick, I loved this:

This man however spoke Mandarin with a strong Shanghai accent. He'd probably learned to speak Wu first.
Attention to detail. Yes, indeed.

“I can't do this without you,” he said, staring into the camera. “Without the help of ordinary people I can't do what I need to do.”

“What exactly is that?”

“To help.”

“Some people would say that's a slippery slope, that some of the worst crimes have been perpetrated in the guise of helping others.” Lois thought she looked a little pale on the small screen, but that was something that was easily corrected.

The Clark on the screen said, “What else can I do? It's easy not to help as long as you can tell yourself that you can't make a difference. I don't have that luxury. I can hear people crying out for help every day and if I look, I can see them.”

Lois was silent on the screen and Clark turned to the camera.

“Could you listen to someone screaming in pain and know that you could save them and turn away? I can't.”
And this was just splendid.

“Ok,” she said. “Let's add the You Tube sequence in here, and the bit from the meteorologists here.”
There's an interview with a meteorologist! Yeah!!!

But I think my favorite part of this came right at the beginning:

She reached for him, and he hesitated only a moment before taking her in his arms. She was as soft as she had been before, but she smelled even better. There was something about her that made the pain he had been experiencing somehow more tolerable.

No matter how he failed, she somehow made him feel like he was the person he'd always wanted to be. With her he wasn't Clark Kent, foster kid. He wasn't the aimless drifter who had taken years to decide on a goal or direction in his life.

He wasn't the person who hid and turned a deaf ear to people he was fully capable of helping.

With her he felt like he could do anything. He felt like he really was Superman.
Wonderful.

Ann

#52923 06/09/08 08:53 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Another wonderful chapter!

“You know there are three different unmarked vans surrounding this place,” Clark said, as Lois retrieved her bag. “Maybe we should do this somewhere else.”
I knew it!

“They’re having a little problem at the moment,” Clark said, “But I didn’t do anything permanent. I doubt we have more than a few minutes before they realize how easy it is to fix the problem.”
What did he do? Pull some plugs?

No matter how he failed, she somehow made him feel like he was the person he’d always wanted to be. With her he wasn’t Clark Kent, foster kid. He wasn’t the aimless drifter who had taken years to decide on a goal or direction in his life.
He wasn’t the person who hid and turned a deaf ear to people he was fully capable of helping.
With her he felt like he could do anything. He felt like he really was Superman.
Perfect! clap

There was no need to go into the fact that his name actually matched that of the comic book character. That was a coincidence that would stretch people’s sense of credulity.
Coincidence, is it? I think, Lois knows better by now. But of course she doesn´t tell his real name also to keep a bit of privacy for him.

“You should get some sleep,” he said.
He was making all the right gestures, but she could tell his heart wasn’t in it. He wanted to be gone, to help.
If he didn’t, he wouldn’t be the person Lois had come to….admire.
Admire? Oh, Lois... :rolleyes:

His face tight, Colonel Kwan ignored the crowds milling aimlessly in the streets. He stared out the window, his mind racing. The reports had already come in; five schools in the city had simply collapsed. Part of his duties as an officer of the People’s Liberation Army was to assist in disaster preparation and relief.
A few days ago I saw a report from a German TV team that reached the center of the earthquake (As far as I know, there were the only TV team there because the Chinese Army thought it too dangerous). There was no town left. And no streets. No buildings. The last part of the way was only possible by foot. The city was located in a valley with steep slopes. And when the earthquake hit, the slopes simply came down in gigantic mudslides... right into the city. It must have been an apocalypse, that much was still clearly visible. And there were very few people who had survived this. The school buildings didn´t just collapse, but they were buried under these mudslides. I have never seen anything like that. I think this was Deyang City, but I´m not sure.

“They fired me,” Lois said. “As far as I’m concerned they can go suck a lemon. If they don’t want what I have, they can go without the footage while the other networks run it.”
He shook his head. “They’ll complain a little, but they’ll go along with it. Just don’t tell them that I did the editing for you.”
Where is Pilar?
And of course CNN will have to take what it gets. They made their bed, now they can go and sleep in it!

When his eyes finally focused enough to see what he was seeing, he knew that the drugs had already kicked in. He worried for a moment about the hallucination, and then decided not to mention it.
Nice! clap

Will you let us read the complete interview? How will the politicians, the scientists and the public react? How long until a consultant realizes that it could be a good advertisement to be seen with `the man in the Superman suit´? Will one of the presidential candidates be the first to gather his courage and meet Clark? How long until the media start calling him Superman instead of him saying he is not? (Of course he is! laugh )

Next chapter, pleasepleaseplease soon!

#52924 06/09/08 09:28 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Loved the interview setup... thumbsup

So this interview would be released to all stations including being uploaded on youtube?

dance

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
#52925 06/09/08 12:09 PM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
I've been thinking that Clark would take Lois back with him to his world when he took the plane back. But now I'm wondering if he'll be able to leave at all, even assuming that a rift to his world can be generated at the right time and place. He's gotten lots of publicity as Superman in Lois's world, and it will be hard to give them a superhero just to take him away so soon. I wonder if he'd be able to do that? Or would he decide to carry on as Superman when he's back on the other side? Would he be able to do that without Lois? From what you've shown us in this chapter, I doubt it, but what do I know?

I agree that Lois is just about ready to admit to herself that she loves him. I don't know if she's close to ready to tell him that.

She's sure to have doubts. What if he really loves Lana? (He doesn't, of course, but Lois doesn't know that.) What if he doesn't want to carry the comic book cliche that far? What if he'd rather pick one woman a week (or night) out of the mob of groupies who are going to be clamoring for his attention? What if he thinks she's clingy and needy? What if he thinks she looks like the south end of a northbound dump truck?

We know they're silly objections, but Lois might not. Besides, she's been insulated from intimate human affection for so long, she'll have a tough time recognizing it for what it is. Shayne, you're either setting up a terrific romantic ending here or a tragic separation guaranteed to make "Casablanca" look like a Charlie Chaplain comedy. Either way, I'm in for the long haul. Keep 'em coming!

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#52926 06/09/08 01:45 PM
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
As always, I can't accurately predict what you're going to right next. You always write in such a way that things logically progress without being predictable.

Elisabeth

#52927 06/09/08 05:43 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Yay! Another part!
“My name is Lois Lane,” she said turning slightly toward the audience. “I’ve spent most of my career trying to overcome the name my parents gave me. But tonight, it serves as more than just a tribute to a fictional ideal.”
I see Lois still hasn't had her own self-revelation yet. smile
He wanted to be gone, to help.

If he didn’t, he wouldn’t be the person Lois had come to….admire.
Lois is still fighting it, I see...
“They fired me,” Lois said. “As far as I’m concerned they can go suck a lemon. If they don’t want what I have, they can go without the footage while the other networks run it.”
She's sounding more and more like the Lois we know and love. wink
“Pei?” he said. “Is Pei all right?”

His father nodded. “We found her first. She asked about you.”
This was so sweet... their first concern was for each other.

#52928 06/09/08 07:28 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Shayne - a late night, so perhaps a disjointed and irregular comment.

Firstly, thanks for posting again so quickly. It's great to log on and see another installment.

It's destiny! It's fate! It's Lois & Clark!

Doing the interview on a roof with a view of the Potomac River and the city strung out behind them like a sea of glittering stars was going to be a little more interesting than the plain white wall she had envisioned. The view would make a statement, telling the world a little bit about how this man saw it from above in all its beauty.
A great visual image! I can just see it.

“In 1978 movie producers told you that you would believe a man could fly. Tonight you will know he can. “
Excellent homage.

“I wear it because people know what it means,” Clark said. “I have seen the insignia in Myanmar, in Iraq in Turkey and Istanbul. People who have never seen a word in English still recognize the costume and they know what it means.”

“What does it mean?”

“It means I’m here to help.”
Oh wow.

Colonel Kwan tapped the arm of the private, forcing him to bring his weapon down. A gesture caused the men around him to do the same.

“I can’t do this without you,” the man said.

“I can’t do this without you,” he said, staring into the camera. “Without the help of ordinary people I can’t do what I need to do.”

“What exactly is that?”

“To help.”
Excellent segue from one scene to another. It flows naturally. I'm taking mental notes for later technique plagiarism.

Lois nodded. “We were one step away from having everything go to hell in a hand basket. There are things I haven’t even put in here because I signed some non-disclosure agreements.”

They were planning to stop any further experiments, Lois assumed and so downtown Denver ought to be safe enough. She felt a vague sense of guilt. This was exactly the sort of story she had been born to tell, and she was hesitating.

The fact that she needed the government’s goodwill to help her sister and Clark played more into it than the desire not to go to jail.
So Lois can be swayed. I would do the same.

He glanced at her. “Don’t tell anybody I’m helping you. I hear the food in Guantanomo is particularly bad.”

“This isn’t an anti-American thing we’re doing,” Lois said. “It’s our duty as journalists to be the watchdog, to give the people the information they need to make informed decisions.”
How did it get to be perceived as anti-American? That's the heartbreaking thing about our own world.

There was very little that he could remember ever doing that he regretted. It was the things he hadn’t done that pained him, the things he was never going to get to do.
So true. Why does it take a life-altering event for us to see that?

Behind his father floated a familiar figure in blue and red.

When his eyes finally focused enough to see what he was seeing, he knew that the drugs had already kicked in. He worried for a moment about the hallucination, and then decided not to mention it.
That was hilarious!

Shayne, everyone else has already made good points. I just hope that you continue with your excellent writing and that this story goes for many more chapters. Because it's so fun to read.

I'm still looking forward to Clark meeting with the government, and the reaction to Lois' interview, and what petty things the government is going to try to do to Lois (trying to get her on the non-disclosure agreements, maybe?), and how Lois has pretty much burned her bridges behind her with everything she's done, and what's going to happen with the passengers, and how will Clark get them back to their own world? Still a lot of questions.

Thoughts:
1) If Clark Kent is a reporter for the Daily Planet, and if time is passing in both universes, what's going to happen when he's been missing from his job for however many days it's been? How is he going to explain his lengthy absence?

2) If Clark gets back to his own universe, and his cover story is that he was on the plane, won't someone be checking the passenger manifest to see if this is true? The plane presumably filed a flight plan, but didn't make its destination. From Clark's world's point of view, LexAir 1013 disappeared in midair. This would cause a lot of flurry at the FAA. So everything about LexAir Flight 1013 will be investigated very thoroughly.

And, if all the passengers come back, and Clark Kent comes back too, and if there's no history of Clark Kent buying a ticket, then it'll become obvious that he must have been the one guy in the parallel world with the plane that wasn't on the plane - e.g., Clark Kent must be Superman. (I'm assuming he's going to go public in the other world, after seeing what power the "S" symbol and the Suit have.)

And another thing - presumably the airplane has been dissected! Lois saw the footage of it in a hangar. And she noted that half of one wing was missing.

So, if Clark and Lois manage to arrange the repatriation of all the passengers back to their original world, they're going to need a new jet. I can't see any sane pilot getting in LexAir 1013 which is missing half a wing. So, is it better to send the parallel universe one of our planes, or is it better to introduce the pilots to Superman and just let them know that he'll be doing the flying? ("Hey, I'm Superman...I'll be carrying you and all your passengers in this wounded jet....don't worry that it only has half a wing, I haven't let anything fall yet!")

Maybe Clark and Lois could spin Superman as having originated in our world. And then they could say that he decided to take up exile in Clark's world because he wanted to get the passengers home. Would this distance Clark from Superman enough? (I still want him to have the secret identity in his world). I'm assuming that no one has told the passengers that Superman is fictional in our world. Of course, now he's no longer fictional!

And (I'm on a roll now, Shayne) what about all the laptops the government confiscated from the passengers? Are they going to give them back? Or are they going to reverse-engineer them for their goodies? Why not pillage Nanosoft Corporation's intellectual property? The other universe patents aren't valid.

And from the passengers' point of view, this must have been the trip from hell. First, thinking they were going to crash. Then getting arrested and held incommunicado for days. They must feel they're in some Kafka universe. (Maybe Lois could interview some passengers about this when she goes back on the plane to Clark's world?)

And, in a total jump of topic, back to paying for Susan's lawyer services. You know, both in the comic books, and on the TV show "Smallville", Clark has been shown to have the power of squeezing a lump of coal really really hard until it turns into a diamond. Maybe he could do that for Susan? In front of all the diamond dealers, so there would be no doubt about the provenance? I know I'd pay extra for a "Superman diamond"! And I like the idea of leaving Susan with a diamond necklace to remember him by.

If Clark does this, however, it had better be right before he goes back to his own world. Again, once people see that he has money, he'll be a target for lawsuits.

#52929 06/10/08 03:01 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Love the last line.

Current hallucinations notwithstanding.
Of course, I love this whole thing.

James

PS. Shayne, you need to write another Buffy/(some fandom) crossover at Twisting the Hellmouth if you are going to be posting much more over there.

46% non-crossover is getting a little too close...

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
#52930 06/10/08 06:47 AM
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I really liked the bits about Pei, Cho and his father during the earthquake. What a terrifying exprience that only highlights how wonderful it would be to actually have a superhero around to help.

I also liked the parallels between Clark's interview with Lois and his comments to the chinese police. He really can't do everything himself - he needs their help. It's true for any of us that want to help, to ease the pain or trials of another. Especially when the issues are huge, like rebuilding after disaster or fixing problems in the public school systems or dealing with gangs - we really do need help otherwise the problems can be overwhelming.

IolantheAlias said:
Clark Kent is a reporter for the Daily Planet, and if time is passing in both universes, what's going to happen when he's been missing from his job for however many days it's been? How is he going to explain his lengthy absence?
I don't think that Clark will need to connect his disappearance with the missing plane. He could, but he doesn't necessarily need to. It's more likely that Superman will bring the passengers back, whether on the missing plane with 1/2 a wing or in another manner.

Explaining Lois's return to Metropolis with altered and/or missing memories ... now that might take some creative explanations.

More soon,
BJ

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard