Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Carol,

I am sorry for not posting feedback more regularly lately. RL tends to get in the way. But I have been reading, I am still fascinated by this story and seeing Lois and Clark (and Jimmy and Lucy) grow up together. smile

I am also sorry to hear about your job situation. I hope that you will something new and maybe better? soon! I do like the idea of you having more time to write though... blush

This was great part, even if two people that I am not very fond of, had to show up. laugh Well, Mayson isn't so bad, I guess and Daniel finally gave up, so all is good.

Thank you for including the princess story, it really showed how much Lois was hurting when she wrote it.

So Greece it is! I am looking forward to their travels.

I enjoyed their shopping spree. Seemed like I was there with then.

Natascha

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Awww, Carol, I'm so sorry to hear about the job situation. I can understand how you must feel. frown

Lois' fairy prince and princess story was so heartbreaking. I really feel for what she went through as a child, and the profound effects it has had on her life even into adulthood. goofy But Mayson? Working retail? eek Not that I hate Mayson or anything, because I really don't at all (most of the time), but that was a bit of a surprise. I'm intrigued!

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
"Especially when most of them will probably be old enough to be grandmas or something?"
Snicker, I wish that was a joke. When I was on vaca in Turkey, I cannot tell you how many times my eyes were assaulted at the beach by grandmothers laying out in the lounges in front of me who decided to just drop everything for all the world to see.

I am also looking forward to their travels in Greece!

Heh, I can't believe it's a Dan/Mayson kind of a day, although Mayson seems like she'd be a lot more tolerable than Just-Call-Me-Daniel. But we'll see. wink

The fairy tale was a nice surprise. Had no idea we were going to get a peek inside that book, and of course I'm glad Clark is finally getting a peek inside Lois' past...

Great part!
JD

And re: the job, god-forbid you encourage learning...the horror, the horror...and how incredibly tacky, through the mail?!

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Top Banana
Top Banana
Sorry, haven't been commenting lately... but am loving this story. Loved the shopping expedition. Dan and now Mayson's appearance is one more point in favor of their taking a round-the-globe tour. thumbsup

The fairy story was so sad and touching... at the age of 8 or 9 it takes Lois 700 years to believe in love frown

Terrific story, wave

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
What a comedy of errors. I'm sorry about real life; even if you'd rather not be in a job, it's not pleasant to have it taken away on someone else's terms....

The encounters with Dan(iel) and Mayson are obviously played up, but fun. Now I wonder, does Greece have topless beaches?

Oh, so Ellen didn't leave Lois and Lucy alone until Lois was five or six. That's just fine, then. Lois shouldn't be damaged from that.

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Carol, I'm so sorry to hear about your job.

I have no idea if this will make you feel the least bit better, but I was suddenly reminded about a book I read about Johannes Kepler (1571-1630). Kepler was a giant of science who described how celestial bodies orbit one another:

[Linked Image]

But Kepler's private life was hard, and more because of the times than because of his own shortcomings. He lived at a time when Protestatism and Catholicism were fighting for dominance in Central Europe, and Protestantism wanted to use the new astronomical science as a weapon against the Pope, whereas Catholicism regarded astronomy as a dangerous herecy that might be punishable by death. The really big problem for Kepler was that he couldn't just stay in a Protestant area and be protected there, because the lords and governors of various regions were prone to change their religious affiliation at a moment's notice. Kepler could go to bed as the governor's friend at night and wake up as his enemy in the morning. Therefore he was like a refugee much of his life, seeking out new places to live, new jobs that would make it possible for him to provide for his family. His mother, who lived in a mostly Protestant area, supported herself by selling "magic" potions, and Kepler repeatedly had to come to her help to save her from being burnt at the stake as a witch. The book I read ended when Kepler, travelling and look for employment as always, entered an inn in Regensburg on his way to a possible new protector. It was a cold and rainy night, November 15, 1630. The book ended there, enigmatically. But we know from history that Kepler died that night. The book was a moving tribute to a person who was striving and working so hard and overcoming all sorts of difficulties all his life.

I loved Lois's Fairy Princess fairy tale. I have to say that if she wrote it when she was only eight, then I can really understand that writing would become her profession later on. Apart from that, though, the story was extremely sad. Imagine that Lois and Lucy got their Fairy Princes and were married to them for most of their lives, but they only learnt to trust them when they themselves were almost 700 years old, and only a little more than 25 years before they both died. That is incredibly sad to contemplate. (You have to wonder, of course, if Lois would have a good concept of time when she wrote this.)

I'm glad that Lois was able to answer some of Clark's question about her childhood. She is beginning to trust him more and more, but, as Clark noted, she is still so jumpy.

And Clark and Lois are gong to Greece! That sounds lovely.

[Linked Image]

"We can visit the ruins of ancient Greek society, find little authentic Greek restaurants in out of the way places and write about them. It's probably the wrong time of year for skiing, but we could go mountain hiking or camping in the Greek mountains..."

"Camping? Really?"

"What? You don't want to go camping?" Clark was incredulous.

"No. If there's no electricity or running water and you have to pee outside, it's not my idea of fun."
I agree! I want a nice bed and a bathroom!

"Are Greek beaches topless?" Lois whispered as quietly as she could.

"I have no idea. Maybe. Maybe not. But even if they are, you wouldn't have to..."

"Well, I know that, but..." She glanced Clark's direction, grateful that he appeared to be completely engrossed in conversation with Jimmy.

"You don't want Clark looking?"

"Something like that."
Poor Lois. But she should trust Clark.

"Lois, he's had eyes only for you since he was *fourteen*. He's not going to lie on the beach staring at women. I promise you that."
Listen to your sister, Lois.

Are Call-me-Dan Scardino and Mayson both working in retail stores? Wow. Well, personally, I think I'd like it if Mayson went on to be attorney after all. Then again, in the show she was killed on her job, so maybe it would be better for her to work at Streets Formal Wear.

I'm looking forward to seeing Lois and Clark in Greece, Carol!

Ann

E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
Carol, we'lll keep you and your family in our prayers regarding the job and economic situation. I imagine you're very glad to have invested so much time and energy into getting yourselves into a better financial situation, particularly with the lack of communication.

You can tell so much in the writing of children about what is going on in their lives. Particularly fitting was the fact that absolutely nothing they were studying in school found its way into the fairy tale. Who can learn anything when basic needs are unmet?

First Dan and then Mayson. It doesn't appear they can get a break today. Of course, Mayson has a lot more schooling to go before she can become an attorney, so she'll be enjoying a McJob for a few more years. My sis-in-law, who was unable to pass the final class she needed to graduate, spent years working at the mall. She saw it as a status symbol when she finally got the same type of position in another building.

Elisabeth

Blogger
Blogger
Why did they stay in Call-me-Daniel's shop, and let him earn a profit off of them, when he was insulting and made all of them uncomfortable?

Mayson should be in between college and law school, so there's no particular reason for her NOT to work at the mall. But that was funny. And cutting it off right there, so we don't go through another torturous encounter (at least in the same chapter) was brilliant.

Can't wait for Greece. When are we going? smile

Peace, Carolyn
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Hey guys! Thank you for your well wishes. Now if my eyes would just quit watering... Seriously. My allergies have been bothering my eyes, but since I cried them out on Tuesday, they haven't stopped watering.

Natascha - thank you smile . I wish I could just go shopping... would be nice, but I'm glad I've never gone through what Lois did in order to get the money to do so.

Rona - yes, she does have her own fairy prince, doesn't she? As for Mayson...she will be back because I can't just leave it like that. I didn't think she would be so I may have said before that we'd seen the last of her, but when Anna [The Great Defender of All That Is Daniel] suggested Scardino Swim and Ski, it suddenly all fell into place wink .

JD - I wish I could go to Greece... Lois tells Lucy one of the stories in LtL: Lucy's Story and I honestly hadn't planned on putting one in here.

AnKS - glad you're still around! At 8 or 9, Lois really doesn't have a concept of what 700 years is, but yes... tis sad isn't it?

Amy - thank you for the comments on the last two parts. The research I did says that yes, there are topless beaches in Greece, but I don't know that I'm going to go there wink .

Ann - thank you. I tried to write like an eight year old, but I'm not sure how well I did. Even if that's how she told the story I don't know if that's how she would have written it. My 6yo writes 'books' all the time like the ones in Lois' dream. They're mostly pictures, but she's working on words to go with them.

Elisabeth - thank you. Yes, we are glad. And, as several have mentioned, Mayson is working while in college. We'll find out more about why here next.

Carolyn - Well... it was the only swim store there and he *did* promise to be nice wink . Um... I think they leave for Greece in Ch. 30. If not, 31, but I think 30.

Need to get back to editing wink .

Thanks again all! Look for Ch. 30 sometime this afternoon!
Carol

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Carol, another great part. I, too, am sorry to hear about your job.

As far as dress code on beaches in the Mediterranean. I only know about Italy and Spain, but I guess Greece (and France) would have been the same. Anyway, in 1993 bikini tops had definitely become optional on the beaches. So, unless they find a very conservative Hotel with a private beach where they demand women cover up (is there even such a Hotel?), they would see women with and without their tops on.

It's just - different - over here (in Europe) as far as nudity is concerned. huh Not that big a deal. You see 'em on billboards, newspapers, primetime TV, beaches.

But if Lois is concerned about feeling out of place, Australia might be a bit on the risky side for her. At least there was a JAG episode, where they talked about the Australian bikini - slip and hat. Not sure how accurate that is.

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Michael - And on NCIS [the JAG spinoff] Tony got Kate a two piece suit that was bikini bottoms and a hat in Puerto Rico wink .

As for the beach thing... not going to focus on it and leave it at that smile .

Thanks.
Carol

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by carolm:
As for the beach thing... not going to focus on it and leave it at that smile .
Whatever works for Lois wink smile

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard