Next Thread
Print Thread
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Good to see the new chapter, Nancy! I liked it a lot, even if it didn't tell us anything more about the baby's condition.

I was moved when Clark broke down on the phone with his mother:

“So,” Martha said, trying to prod us on. “What did you learn? Is everything okay?”

I fully expected Clark to answer, but after a moment of silence I looked up and realized why he hadn't. My husband, who had spent so much of the last couple of days being so strong for me, broke in the face of his mother's concern. Tears rolled down his cheeks silently. When he saw me looking at him, his hold on my hand tightened.
Poor Clark. Poor, poor Clark. This baby may be his only chance to be a father, ever. Who knows how easy it is going to be for him to conceive with any Earth woman? (Of course I don't want him to try with any other woman than Lois, don't get me wrong. I don't even want him to try with another woman after Lois has died and left him a widower, because I hate to consider Lois's death, and I don't see why it must be a given that Lois dies before Clark anyway. And I will go as far as to say that I'm not really interested in Clark if he is not with Lois.)

Anyway, this baby could be Clark's only chance to be a father, ever. To be on the verge of losing that potentially only chance at fatherhood, and to have to be strong for Lois at the same time... no wonder that he broke down when he felt his mother's concern.

I placed the phone down for a moment to wrap my arms around Clark. I drew his head down to my shoulder hoping that this would pass. “Everything could be fine,” I whispered.
I love that Lois comforted him. And I love that she knows how much the idea of a possible miscarriage eats at Clark, too.

I loved this:

I looked at Clark when we hung up the phone and then moved closer to wrap my arms around him, holding him tightly. “Thank you,” I whispered.

“For what?” he asked, his voice muffled as his mouth was lost somewhere beneath my hair near my neck.

“For being you. For being strong for me when this is hard for you, too.”

Clark pulled away to look me in the eye. “It's hard for both of us. But I know that as much as I want this baby, it's different for you. You're the one that's pregnant. And you have all those hormones making you weepy,” he smiled at me.

I swatted him lightly. “Well, thank you anyway,” I said huffily.

“Lois?” Clark asked and when I looked back at him, he placed his hands on my arms tightly. “I love you. Whatever happens, we'll get through it together.” I nodded my head in agreement.

“I love you, Clark,” I said before we moved forward to embrace each other tightly.
Such a tribute to their love. Thank you for writing it.

I loved Lois's conversation with Lucy. I'm glad she told her about Clark being Superman.

“Oh, Lois, that's terrific! Do you know if I'm going to be an aunt or an uncle yet?”

I laughed, “It's a bit early to know the baby's gender, Luce, but I'm pretty sure you'll be an aunt either way.”
That was funny.

“What is it, Lois?” Lucy's voice came through the line and I could hear her concern.

“We're not sure. There are some issues with the baby. It's not as big as we would have expected it to be.”

“Is that bad?” Lucy asked.

“It doesn't have to be,” I explained. “It could be nothing. Or it could be something.”

“What are the most likely options?” she asked.

“Well, on the negative side, the baby could have stopped growing and I'd have a miscarriage,” I explained.

“Oh, Lo, are you and Clark alright?” Lucy asked and in that moment I was glad I told my little sister now even if I did it over the phone. I could feel how much she cared for me in her words and tone of voice.
I'm glad that Lucy cares so much.

“So what is the most likely positive explanation?”

“Well, there are a couple. Most are unlikely. But one possibility is this baby has a longer gestation than other babies,” I could feel my heart pounding as I said the word.

“Gestation? That's the time in the womb, right?” Lucy asked.

“Yes.”

“Why would this baby have a longer gestation?” Lucy asked, sounding thoroughly confused.

“Lucy, this is a secret you can't tell anyone. Not even Ben yet,” I said.

“Lois, you're scaring me. What is it?”
Lois is setting up the big revelation. Well done.

“The baby is half-Kryptonian,” I paused, my heart still hammering in my chest.

“Kryptonian? Superman is the baby's father?” Lucy asked in disbelief.

“Yes,” I said simply.

“But I don't understand. You love Clark. Why would you…”

I cut her off before she got carried away. “I do love Clark, Lucy. The baby is Clark's.”

“The baby is Clark's?”

“Clark is Superman, Lucy,” I said quietly.
Good. Lucy needed to know. But I hope no one listened in on their phone conversation.

For a moment Lucy didn't say anything. Then I heard her expel a large gulp of air. “Clark is Superman? You are married to Superman?” she asked.

“You can't tell anyone, Lucy. Anyone. Besides his parents and me, and Perry and Jimmy, you are the only one who knows right now. Although we're going to tell Mom and Dad later.”

“I think…” Lucy paused. “I think Dad knows.”
One big revelation after another! Lois really made Lucy astounded, then Lucy pulled an almost equally big surprise out of her hat. (A small nitpick: in your story, men are smart and figure out Clark's secret on their own - Jimmy, Perry, Sam. Women are a lot denser and need to be told, including Lois. Or at least I assume that Lois needed to be told, but maybe she really did figure it out on her own, just like she did in the show?)

Anyway, I liked the explanation for why Sam knows:

“I think Dad knows. From when Superman was really sick. Mom and I were on the phone talking about it at some point and she said she was surprised Clark wasn't jealous of how close you were to Superman. Of how much time you spent with him when he was sick. Dad got on the phone and told us to stop gossiping, that from what he had seen he thought you and Clark had a really good marriage. It didn't make sense to me at the time and I wondered a bit if Dad was siding with you as it made him feel better about his wanderings in the past, but now, I think…”

I didn't say anything. What Lucy was saying made sense, but I was still surprised. He had never let on that he knew.
I like how Sam has respected his daughter's and her husband's secret, and never let on that he knew.

And I liked that Lucy talked to Clark, too:

“Hi, Lucy! I heard Lois asking about a wedding date, so I'm guessing you and Bed are engaged?” he asked.

“Well, yes, but that's not why I wanted to talk to you,” Lucy said.

“Well, congratulations anyway,” Clark replied.

“Clark, I'm sorry about the baby. But I'm keeping my fingers crossed that everything is okay. That you are just slowing things up.”

“Thanks, Lucy,” Clark said, his voice soft.

“And I wanted to thank you for trusting me with your secret. I won't tell anyone. I promise.”

“Thank you, Lucy,” Clark said again.

“I won't even tell Ben for now. But I can tell him at some point, right? I mean, I'd hate for him to find out when we come to visit you and he sees your baby flying about the apartment.”

Clark laughed. “Well, since I didn't start flying until I was nearly twenty, that seems unlikely, but I understand your point. Of course you can tell him sometime. But maybe after we've met him first?”

“Of course,” Lucy said. “Oh, I can't believe you guys are going to be parents. I can't wait to see you.”

“Me neither,” I said. I felt all warm inside. Lucy was such a grown up now and I loved the fact that she'd talked to Clark personally. And her positive attitude about the baby made me feel more positive, too. I was even smiling when we got off the phone and headed to my parents.
I wasn't going to quote the entire ending, but I didn't know when to stop. Like Lois, I was left with a warm and positive feeling here, in spite of their, and mine, and everybody's worries for their child.

Ann

Columnist
Columnist
It was so good to see Lois comfort Clark. I just love how you've written the relationship between these two.

A small nitpick: in your story, men are smart and figure out Clark's secret on their own - Jimmy, Perry, Sam. Women are a lot denser and need to be told, including Lois. Or at least I assume that Lois needed to be told, but maybe she really did figure it out on her own, just like she did in the show?
Ann, the way I see it is that Jimmy and Perry spend a lot more time with Lois and Clark than Lucy does. It makes sense that they would be the ones to figure it out rather than a sister who has met Clark maybe a few times. And Sam worked a lot closer to Clark than Ellen did when Clark was sick, so it makes sense that he would figure it out while she might not.

As far as Lois being told, I usually assume that the author is sticking to show continuity unless they specifically tell us. So that means that Lois figured it out. Am I right?

Anyway, I loved this chapter like I always do.

A
Features Writer
Features Writer
A
Ugh! I just posted a long reply to this and then, stupid me, I shut my browser before I sent it and lost the whole thing.

I don't have the energy to retype it right now, so I'll just say Beth is correct about Lois knowing Clark's secret. Everything happened as it did in this story, so Lois figured out on her own.

Thanks for the feedback, Beth and Ann, and I'll come back later and write the rest of my reply.

Columnist
Columnist
Hi,

I'm still following this story, and there are a lot of lovely moments in this section. I love the fact that, though Lois was suffering, she understood that Clark was just as stressed, and I'm glad she comforted him. They are together in this situation and they need to share their worries.

I'm also glad Lois and Clark have decided to tell Lois' family about the pregnancy, the difficulties and the reasons for the problems.

This is a very tense story, but one I'm enjoying, if enjoying is the correct word. wink

But I hope the next part gives us some more information about the baby. I have all my fingers and toes crossed that this very special baby will be fine.

Yours Jenni

A
Features Writer
Features Writer
A
I'm so sorry. I some how forgot that I had never come back to this.

Thanks again, Ann, Beth, and Jenni Debb for the comments.

Ann - I'm glad I handled the revelation to Lucy well. I struggled a lot with it. It's hard to imagine it's an easy thing for Lois to share - she's so private by nature that I imagine this is as hard for her as for Clark. And then the fact that Lucy and Clark have no relationship just complicates it.

But, probably as I seem to have positive views of all but the most vile LnC charaters, I always imagine Lucy grew up to be much more mature than what we saw on the show (which seems reasonable since she was still in college there). So, I thought she'd do the right thing and talk to Clark.

As for Sam knowing, it never occured to me that this meant all the men figured it out on their own. My image of Sam has been forever transformed by Caroline K's story "Extraordinary". He knew there, so he knew here. But the gender thing was a coincidence. As you'll see soon, Ellen was not completely clueless anyway.

Beth and Jenni Debb - Thanks! I think these type of things can probably have two effects on a couple - either tear them apart (not necessarily irreparably) or bring them closer together. I like this way better. smile

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard