Hi!

I did promise to get the out of the introspection and back to the action. Well, it has started smile

As always a big THANK YOU goes to Mona, Kmar, and Mellie, for their invaluable insights and beta-FDK.

I’m trying something new with the FDK-thread this time around – i.e. creating it myself.

Michael

Disclaimer: The recognizable characters and settings in this story are the property of D.C. Comics, Warner Bros., December 3rd Productions, and anyone else with a legal right to them, and I have no claim on them whatsoever, nor am I profiting by their use. It’s just the original stuff, that would be mine, written down to bring some entertainment to other FoLC.

The setting is right after “Season’s Greedings” in Season 2.

Blocks in >> << are literal thoughts by the character.

Rating: PG-13

In part ten, Lois had finally collapsed into being an emotional wreck, tortured by her conscience, subconscious, and Lucy. Clark, too had quite a ruff wake-up call when he had routinely listened in on Lois sleeping, only to witness a nightmare that – to him – meant Lois was being tortured by what he had done to her the previous night.

Part 11 / TOC / Comments

The next morning found an exhausted Clark entering the Daily Planet building. It was just quarter past seven and he had spent a good part of a sleepless night chipping ice cubes in the Arctic. Not that it had done a lot of good in the way of alleviating his guilt. Or the frustration he felt at the hopelessness of his current predicament.

Within just twenty-four short hours he had managed to destroy not only Lois’ trust in both of him, Clark and Superman. No, in order to top this, he had also basically ra- No, couldn’t say the word. But it was what he had done, since Lois hadn’t been capable of rational thought at the time.

He should have noticed something. He should have known she was not sane when she had thrown herself at him. Even if he had been Superman at the time and she had a definite crush on his caped alter ego, he shouldn’t have allowed his hormones to take over.

Instead, he should have acted as her best friend by doing something – anything – other than scooping her up in his all too willing arms and proceeding to jump her bones. Whether the cause of her delirious and vampy mindset had been alcohol, another drug, or simply her lust for Superman reaching its breaking point, he had definitely failed in being, well a super man in his response.

And while he was at it, just why *hadn’t* he told her the truth. She had even *asked* him to tell her the truth. It would have been the perfect opening to tell her that she was about to make love not just with Superman, but with Clark Kent, too. Her partner, her best friend.

He certainly didn’t deserve her forgiveness. He had lost every right to even beg for her to acknowledge him. And yet, here he was, carrying another sweet offering and half a dozen roses.

His parents had explained it to him quite extensively and they had used very simple words. He wouldn't have understood otherwise. As it was, it was still baffling enough to him. Lois hadn’t told him that she hated him. She had just run and locked the iron gates to her heart. A heart that was still very much in love with him, at least according to his mother.

Could this really be true? Oh, how he hoped for it. Not that he truly understood it, especially after witnessing Lois’ nightmare a few hours ago.

Clark sighed and stole another forlorn glance at the six roses he carried in his left hand. He had bought them before his patrol last night. He had actually flown to the Netherlands and picked out the six flowers by himself. It had been a spur of the moment decision. Originally, he had been torn between a dozen red roses and yellow ones for friendship. After all, could he really presume to place an offering of love on her desk the morning after he had proven to be such an utter bastard?

But then he had seen the blue roses and a new idea had formed. Of course, it could be just as risky as going with red or yellow roses. But then, perhaps Lois might also appreciate his baring his soul to her. And that was how he had ended up buying six roses, a red one to match the color of his cape, a blue one for his suit, a yellow one for his crest, and three white roses to symbolize his earthbound half. A perfect blend between Clark Kent and Superman.

The elevator dinged and its doors opened to let Clark exit onto the newsroom floor. He took a quick look around and noticed that he was apparently the first one to arrive this morning. Not even Perry seemed to be in his office. It was a strange first for Clark, although not completely unheard off.

Clark quickly marched over to his desk to put aside his coat and temporarily stashed the flowers, before he went to hunt for a vase. He knew there were some at the coffee corner for when one of his colleagues received a thank you note with flowers to accompany the gesture. Clark quickly found a vase matching his small bouquet and went to the men’s room for some water.

He was on his way back to his desk when he heard the elevator announce the arrival of one of his coworkers. Knowing that it wasn’t Lois – for he would surely have heard her heartbeat by now – he didn’t bother to check, but instead went on with his business of arranging the flowers in the small vase.

“Hey, what a great morning, CK!” he heard a youthful voice filled with an unnatural amount of delight. What was supposed to be so great about the day after he had so profoundly hurt the woman he loved?

Turning around, Clark immediately found himself staring into the grinning face of Jimmy Olsen.

“Morning, Jimmy!” he replied, not really feeling up to sounding like anything that could be construed as cheerful.

“What is going on, CK?” Jimmy asked before the cub reporter’s eyes fell onto the flowers and the box of candy on Clark’s desk.

“Oh, you have trouble with Lois, haven’t you,” Jimmy began, before understanding started to show on his face. “Oh man, CK. I’ve completely forgotten about that. Was *that* what your fallout with Lois was all about? I had thought it had been about a story, but man, to have you fall victim to this, too.”

“Jimmy, please,” Clark interrupted his young friend’s thoughts, “I have no idea what you are talking about.”

“Oh, come on, CK. I’m your friend and believe me, I can perfectly understand how embarrassing it must have been. I have been through high school myself, you know. But you and Lois are grown-ups. I’m sure she isn’t going to hold it against you. These things happen to men. I mean, you haven’t pulled a Ralph on her, have you?”

Now Clark was utterly confused. He had begun to assume Jimmy had been talking about his control issues the day before yesterday. But Lois thankfully hadn’t noticed a thing, back then. But what was this about Ralph now?

“Hold on a second, Jimmy,” Clark stopped his friend again, “What is this about Ralph?”

“You haven’t heard?” Jimmy perched on Clark’s desk, shoving the pralines to the side. “And here I thought it had already been spread through the entire Planet,” he mused while shaking his head in disbelief.

“So, believe it or not,” Jimmy started to recount the gossip that had been the hottest topic around the water cooler yesterday. “Ralph has managed to top even *his* sleaziest behavior.”

Noticing Clark’s lost look, Jimmy started to explain in even greater detail.

“You know how he has received several slaps from various female employees over the two months or so he has been here? I can’t believe Lois hasn’t told you about her own encounters with Ralph at the very least.” The young reporter leaned closer and whispered conspiratorially. “Anyway, the day before yesterday, Ralph decided to make a pass at one of the secretaries while riding up an elevator. Only it wasn’t just the elevator that was rising, if you get my meaning.” Jimmy grinned, before being reminded of another incident he had witnessed two days ago. Only this one had included both him and the reporter in front of him.

“But it didn’t stop there, because for some unknown reason, Ralph had apparently decided to draw the girl’s attention to his indecent state of being.” Only barely able to keep a straight face, or a normal skin color, Jimmy prepared himself to deliver the punch line.

“And when he finally had her undivided attention, he asked her if she could help him out with his little problem.”

Clark blinked, only too vividly remembering his own embarrassing moment when Lois had settled on the very spot his young friend now occupied. He didn’t even want to think about what would have happened if Lois had noticed his predicament then.

On the other hand, given how bleak his situation was now, it might have been the lesser of two evils.

“So, that’s not what has happened between you and Lois, right?” Jimmy looked worriedly at his role model. “I mean, since you did seem to have some issues and everything…”

Clark knew he had to stop Jimmy before either one of them, or both, turned into tomato heads.

“No, Jimmy, that’s not what those flowers are about.” Putting a strong hand on Jimmy’s shoulder, Clark’s voice turned stern with the gravity of the matter. “But I would appreciate it, if you could leave Lois out of this. She has had a couple of rough days and doesn’t need that kind of attention right now.”

“Got it, CK!” Jimmy slid down from the desk and went on to his own corner of the office. “Oh man. Clark and Ralph, both! I’m just glad I didn’t drink from whatever they put into their coffee or my evening with Angela would have turned out to be far less pleasant.”

Clark’s head shot up at those words, both cursing and grateful for his super-hearing at the same time. Had Jimmy just associated Ralph’s and his own predicaments? Could this truly be the case? Had Anonymous poisoned some of the food at the Planet with an aphrodisiac?

Of course, it would explain how Lois got infected with the drug, but did this mean Anonymous had turned Revenge into an ingestible substance? But if so, why hadn’t it affected more people? And why had it affected *him* of all people?

True, after what had happened with the Space Rats two weeks ago, Clark wasn’t so sure anymore about his resistance to drugs. But still, he was certain that Revenge hadn’t been able to affect him last year. So what had changed?

Yes, it was certainly high time he started to investigate this Anonymous. And he knew just the person to ask for his assistance. But first he would finish arranging his latest peace offering for Lois. And then he would go and talk to Mayson Drake.

Lois took a deep breath and pushed through the front doors of the Daily Planet. She was tired, both emotionally and physically exhausted to be precise. At least she seemed to have stopped crying after her last crying fit in the middle of the night.

She wasn’t sure what she had dreamt about, but given how she had woken up with her head cradled against Lucy’s lap, she had to assume the nightmare had shaken her to the core. And her sister had actually been there for her the whole evening and the night too. She shouldn’t be surprised, but she still was. After all, when had her sister ever offered her support before? On the other hand, when had she herself ever proven to be such a wreck?

>>Time to face the music, Lane!<< Lois told herself while trying to straighten her shoulders. It wouldn’t do to enter her workplace looking like she had lost her best friend. She had, or rather, she had *tried* to get rid of Clark, yesterday. And today she would actually succeed in driving him away. Did the universe truly hate her this much? And why had she been so *stupid*?

Well, today she would do things differently. Today she would weigh her options and she would try to think before opening her mouth. And if she did things right, she might even manage not to fall apart again.

>>Fat chance, Lane!<< the little voice inside her scolded. And she had to admit, the little voice that sounded suspiciously like her little sister was right. She would tell Clark the truth about Anonymous, and he would drop her like a hot potato. And she would be alone. Again.

That was what she had wanted for New Year, wasn’t it? To make him go away. Yes, the old saying really held true even in modern times.

Be careful what you wish for, indeed.

The elevator dinged and Lois stepped out onto the newsroom’s floor. >>Here goes nothing!<< she said to herself.

Lois quickly made a beeline for her workstation, only to be surprised at the arrangement of flowers and chocolates laid out there. And in between, an envelope containing obviously more than just a greeting card.

Lois sighed and placed her coat over the back of her chair before giving the gifts a closer look. The roses were some of the most beautiful specimens she had ever seen. Come to think of it, they were even more gorgeous than those Lex had presented her with.

Then she examined the bouquet more closely. The arrangement displayed an eerily familiar picture with the red, blue and yellow roses. She couldn’t be sure with the artificial light of the newsroom, but it looked like they actually matched the famous Suit. And then there were the white roses in between, a perfect balance to his super-self.

>>Don’t start crying now, Lane!<< Lois encouraged herself and carefully refrained from gently caressing the delicate blossoms. This was not meant for her. Those flowers were meant for the *other* Lois. The Lois who should have allowed her partner to love her instead of kicking him into the groin – repeatedly and with a kryptonite-tipped boot at that.

And just where was her partner at this time? Had he had to leave on a rescue mission already? How was she supposed to return those gifts to him if he wasn’t available?

Lois took a quick look around the newsroom and immediately spotted Jimmy, hacking away on his keyboard on one errand or another.

“Hey, Jimmy!” Lois called across the newsroom. When she saw his head turn towards her, she amended. “Where’s Clark?”

Jimmy had apparently decided not to engage in a shouting conversation and got up to walk over to her. “Morning Lois!” Jimmy greeted her, his thumbs lazily pushed into his pant pockets. “Clark, you say?” Lois nodded encouragingly for him to continue. “Well, he left about half an hour ago or so. Said, he had an errand to run.”

Lois couldn’t help but roll her eyes at her partner’s obvious excuse. “Did he say when he was going to be back?” she finally asked, trying to sound like she always did when he vanished, even though today she couldn’t work up any exasperation at all.

“Nope, sorry, Lois.” Jimmy furrowed his brow, obviously working to remember something. “He just said something about checking up on some details for a story you two were working on.”

What story? She had sent the Metro PD bit back to him before leaving yesterday, and not done much in the way of editing. Not that it had needed any, even if it was a bit soft for her taste. So the only other story they could be working on would be?

“But he said that if you asked, I should direct you to the envelope. It would explain everything,” her young friend amended before she could ask him for more details. Then Jimmy turned to head over to his own desk, but swiveled back once more to look into her eyes. “And for what it’s worth, Lois, I do think he’s honestly sorry for whatever has happened between the two of you. I mean, look at all this stuff. What other guy would get up who knows when and get you flowers and chocolates even before you got into the office in the morning.”

“Jimmy!” Lois growled warningly, instantaneously sending him back to his own workstation.

Turning back to her own desk, she immediately remembered her current dilemma. The gifts where still displayed on her desk, and she didn’t want to touch them. She couldn’t pick them up and carry them over to Clark’s desk and still retain the image of the strong and composed woman she was so good at faking right now.

Resigning herself to her fate, she decided to pick up the card at least. Perhaps Jimmy was right and it actually did tell her about Clark’s whereabouts.

Yeah right. And next thing she knew, men would fly.

After she had ripped open the envelope, Lois remembered that men did fly after all. Well, one man at least. And right now, it looked like this specific man was out looking for trouble.

The envelope had contained just a letter instead of a sappy greeting card with an even sappier poem. The man was a professional writer for crying out loud! And one who usually wrote the best mood pieces in the office, and then he produced a poem like *that*. But at least she could tell he had written it himself instead of copying it out of some book he had read ages ago. No one would have published *that*.

But this didn’t change her newest quandary, for Clark had quite extensively explained in his letter that the events that had led to the fateful evening had been orchestrated by a guy calling himself Anonymous. That this Anonymous had gloated in his letters how he had drugged her. Clark had even attached copies of said letters for her to read. As if she really needed to see those unholy letters ever again.

But what was more, he had also told her, that he didn’t think this absolved him from any guilt in this matter. He was just going to help her find the person responsible and quietly deal with the whole affair.

Why couldn’t the Boy Scout just leave the matter be? Wasn’t it bad enough that she would have to tell him once he got back? Did he really have to start snooping around all by himself?

And just how long was she supposed to stare at those insidious pieces of chocolate? Why couldn’t he have at least gotten her some that *weren’t* wrapped in transparent foil, so she wouldn’t be able to see all the chocolate displayed in all its creamy brown seductiveness?

Taking a closer look, Lois started to get even more agitated. Was this a creation of chocolates with various cocoa levels, nougats and caramel? Was this man trying to kill her or just slowly driving her insane?

Screaming in frustration, Lois grabbed the chocolates, aimed, and deposited them with a practiced swing on her partner’s desk across the aisle, before letting her head flop down on her desk, her arm the only cushion available while she tried to calm her breathing.

Clark entered the main offices of the Metropolis district attorney, located on Hogan Street, a few minutes after eight in the morning. He hadn’t bothered to call ahead, instead hoping to catch Mayson before any appointments in her schedule would prevent a meeting. And given how her office was only a quick fight away, he decided to just wing it and risk missing her after all.

He had been to the DA’s office numerous times over the last year and a half he had been in Metropolis, and yet it never failed to amaze him how busy things happened to be even before normal office hours. Mentally making a note, Clark decided to do a favorable article on this institution rather sooner than later. Perhaps he could even get an interview from Mayson on this subject.

Then Clark was already walking up to Mayson’s assistant, Clarice Sanders, a willowy woman with a dark complexion who looked like she was in her late twenties.

“Good morning, Ms. Sanders,” Clark greeted her after a quick glance at her name plate. “I’m Clark Kent and an acquaintance of Ms. Drake’s. I was wondering if she might be available for a few minutes?”

Clarice eyed him appreciatively before answering with a smile that was just a bit too friendly for his peace of mind. “Good morning, Mr. Kent. If you would wait just a second, then I’ll check with her.” Turning to her intercom, Clarice pushed the talk button. “Ms. Drake, there is a Mr. Kent here to see you.”

Clark couldn’t help but overhear Mayson’s response.

“Clark? That’s a surprise. Please, send him in, Clarice.”

“Will do, Ms. Drake,” and with those words Clarice clicked the intercom off again and turned back to grace Clark with a very brilliant smile. “You can go right in now, Mr. Kent.”

“Thank you, Ms. Sanders” he smiled to Mayson’s assistance and turned to walk past her desk, glad to have slung his coat over his left arm, which was now conveniently blocking at least some of the outlook on his physique from where Clarice was sitting.

When Clark entered Mayson’s office a few seconds later, she was already rising and walking around her desk to meet him.

“Hi Clark! What brings you to my office this early in the morning?” Mayson asked while giving him one of her signature smiles. Those smiles that showed him each and every one of her incisors, eyeteeth, and even some of her molars while the whole pearl white display was framed with ruby red lips. Mayson was obviously happy to see him.

“Hello Mayson. I hope you’ve had a nice Christmas,” Clark returned her greeting, not failing to notice how she shook her head almost imperceptibly to loosen her locks of blonde hair when she replied.

“Yes, very pleasant. We had a small office party and the sorts, you know. I bet you would have enjoyed it, too.”

Interpreting her gesture as a little too flirtatious for his comfort, Clark quickly moved on to the subject at hand.

“That’s nice to hear, Mayson. But as to why I’m here this morning. Do you happen to remember the incident with Miranda Jameson from a year ago? She was the one with the-“

“…sex perfume,” Mayson finished for him. “Yes, the incident did cause quite a buzz in our office. Especially with some of my male colleagues. And you would think that in a city like Metropolis, people would be used to stunts like that by now. Did you ever wonder if the crazy criminals come here because of Superman or if Superman is here because of the crazy criminals?” Clark was hard pressed not to roll his eyes at Mayson’s obvious jibe at his alter ego. “But that’s not why you are here, so what about Ms. Jameson?”

Clark took a relaxing breath and was glad that Mayson hadn’t started to dig deeper into the whole Superman aspect of the story. He couldn’t afford to get into a discussion with her on his alter ego. Not when he needed her help.

“You see, Mayson, I have reason to believe there could be someone out there again with a substance that seems to have the same characteristics as Revenge. Only perhaps it might be even more potent.”

Mayson had in the meantime retreated to her desk and sat now perched on one corner, her left hand supporting her slightly reclining posture. Which did nothing to stop the blue blazer from getting pulled taught over her slim figure, accenting the outline of her breasts.

“I guess you don’t have any proof as to that matter, do you?” she asked, her eyes having suddenly lost the dreamy glaze they had adopted before.

“No, I’m sorry, Mayson. It’s just a rumor right now, but given the trouble we have had, I just want to make sure, that Ms. Jameson isn’t involved in all of this.”

“Well, let me make you a deal. How about I check what I can find within the records, and we meet for dinner at, say, seven this evening?” Mayson once again offered Clark the dentist’s view of her face.

>>Dinner? That is probably not the wisest of choices right now. Especially if I want to bring Lois along on this,<< Clark’s mind quickly interjected. >>Lunch wouldn’t do either, since I’ve no idea how long it will take for me to actually talk to Lois.<<

“Uh, dinner? I’m sorry Mayson, but I’m afraid taking you out for dinner wouldn’t leave a very good impression in the public’s eye,” Clark tried to diffuse the situation. “After all, how would it look for a reporter to ask a DA out for dinner and then receive certain information?” Noticing a pout starting to form on her lips, Clark quickly amended, “But how about I get us Chinese takeout and we take the meeting into the Daily Planet’s conference room? And I can promise you, the takeout rivals anything you can get in Metropolis’ Chinese restaurants,” he closed, giving Mayson one of his own killer smiles. The ones he usually used to dazzle female interviewees to tell him more than they had bargained for.

“Okay, fine. So I’ll meet you at seven in the newsroom?” At Clark’s nod, Mayson smiled and he started to wonder if she was going to ask him for a second dinner, this one located at a more intimate place, her apartment, for instance.

But apparently he was in luck, for Mayson bent backwards to retrieve her organizer to make a note. And did she know how this movement affected her wardrobe?

“Oh, shoot,” Mayson suddenly exclaimed. “I have a bail hearing in half an hour over in Hobbs Court. See you at seven, Clark.” Mayson smiled, and pressed his arm in a very intimate way before Clark managed to avoid a kiss by smiling back at her and retreating through the door back into the foyer.

Happy to have averted the current crisis, Clark headed for the exit and quickly changed into Superman to head back to the Daily Planet and hopefully a not too awkward – or disastrous – talk with his partner.

tbc

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.