OP Offline
Features Writer
Well, let me know what you think!

#52638 05/29/08 11:11 AM
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Shayne - head hurts too bad to say much at the moment except that the people who lost cars should be grateful they didn't lose lives and that he can't be everywhere at once. Like Lois - how long would those people have been under the rubble if he hadn't been there? Of course, Lois can't know this yet, but we all have faith in you that they'll end up on the same side of the rift in the end smile .
Carol

#52639 05/29/08 01:57 PM
M
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
M
Great story! I looking forward to the next installment.

#52640 05/29/08 05:43 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Wonderful. Clark was such a magnificent Superman in this story.

“Get away from the window,” Anita said. “We're moving to a safe place.”

“But it's Superman out there,” Jacob said, his eyes wide and shining. He was unnaturally thin and bald and it had been a long time since Anita had seen any expression on his face other than pain and sadness.
I can just see the little boy, who is obviously suffering from cancer.

Anita's hands were shaking, although she tried to calm herself. It wouldn't do to let Jacob see that she was afraid. Children took their cues from adults, and as long as she didn't show fear, he would be all right.

She was surprised to feel his tiny hand patting her on the arm.

“It'll be all right,” he said into her ear. “Superman will save us.”
That's just wonderful. Anita doesn't believe in Superman, but Jacob does. He may have believed in Superman, in his own way, for much of the time when he has been able to believe in anything at all. And therefore it is Jacob who can comfort Anita, not the other way round.

Jacob waved his tiny hand, and the man turned toward him.

“Can you heal me?” he asked.

A stricken look came over the man's face, and he glanced at Anita. She shrugged slight. Jacob's case could go wither way.

“I wish I could,” he said. He glanced at Jacob for a moment and then said, “It's a problem in your bones, isn't it.”

The boy nodded.

“I'm not a doctor,” the man said. “But it looks like the bad cells in your body aren't doing so well. That's a good thing.”

“The medicine makes me feel sick,” the boy said.

“I'd say you have a pretty good chance.” The man smiled sadly. “If you do what your doctors tell you.”

“That's what everybody says,” Jacob said.
This is just so great, the way Clark talks to the little boy. He is a magnificent Superman.

“Can I go flying with you?”

The man smiled. “Maybe later, when you are feeling a little stronger. No promises though…I have a lot of people to save tonight. If I get a chance to come back and see you I will. What's your name?”

“Jacob Richardson,” the boy said.

In the reflected light of the lantern, Jacob's face almost seemed to glow.
Clark didn't let Jacob down, that's for sure.

There was a strange sense of elation that came with mastering the elemental forces of nature. Since Clark had been young, nothing physical had ever been a challenge for him. His only real challenges had been interpersonal, where his abilities had been of no use.

But against the power of the storm he actually had to make an effort. There was nothing he could grab hold of with the wind, and even though he was gaining experience the tornadoes could be unpredictable at best. The patterns he'd seen before had proven to be only partially reliable.

For the first time he felt the thrill of whatever his body used in place of adrenaline. It was exciting to be able to finally let loose, and if the people he saved didn't exactly cheer, he could at least understand their stunned silences.
Here, too, Clark is being such a splendid Superman.

But he's being sued because he directed tornadoes away from people and into the path of property. And he couldn't save the people of New Hartford.

Clark came up floating. A rescuer ran up, apparently to castigate him for touching the victim. The man took one look at the body in Clark's arms and sighed.

A small arm hung limply in Clark's, the only part of the body visible from this angle. The expression on his face reminded Lois a little of the expressions she'd seen on the faces of firefighters on 9/11.

Someone stepped forward and a light flashed in his eyes. Clark turned away stiffly and marched toward the door of the ambulance.

This was the picture the world was going to see when they opened their papers in the morning, a picture of a hero who looked as though he was fighting off tears.

Clark's lips tightened and he stepped forward quickly, depositing his armload into the ambulance to waiting hands. The camera crew rushed forward, but Clark deliberately moved one door to block the view of the camera, and then he closed both doors solidly.
Even in tragedy, Clark is a fantastic Superman.

“This isn't the time,” Clark said sharply. “You should give these people a little privacy.”

The reporter stared at Clark for a moment, as though he didn't understand the concept. He leaned forward and said, “So you aren't doing this out of a need for fame and glory? Who are you really and how are you doing this?”

“I'm doing the best I can,” Clark said grimly. His expression was tight and closed. “Unfortunately, today that wasn't good enough.”
Privacy? What's that to a reporter?

Staring at his drawn expression on the television screen, Lois felt as though her chest was actually aching. She wanted to hold and comfort him, and it took her a moment to realize that these feelings were something more intense that what she'd feel for just anyone.

He was getting under her skin, making her feel things she hadn't felt in a long time. It was just a reminder of how emotionally dangerous he could be.

Lois closed her eyes for a moment and sighed. What was she going to do if he did find a way back through the rifts, if she was separated from him forever?

She wasn't sure she wanted to know.
That's a superb ending, too. Lois finally acknowledges to herself that she wants to be with Clark.

What a great story this is!

Ann

#52641 05/29/08 05:50 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Lois had found herself glued to the screen as citizens in the affected cities sent in video footage and clips from cell phones and digital cameras and camcorders recording Clark in his journey across six cities that had been threatened by the tornadoes.
Clark, definitely going public. There's no way he can be covered up now. And doing the traditional Superman stuff!

Oh, what an excellent chapter! You show the triumph that Clark feels as he overcomes the tornadoes, and the precipitous fall soon after when he realizes that he can't save everyone.

This was the picture the world was going to see when they opened their papers in the morning, a picture of a hero who looked as though he was fighting off tears.
Beautiful line, poetic imagery.

“I’m doing the best I can,” Clark said grimly. His expression was tight and closed. “Unfortunately, today that wasn’t good enough.”
That is so sad.

But, speaking from a PR point of view (which I hate to do, feeling like the crass reporter you wrote), it will help Clark so much. He will appear to be Superman. I'm not really sure how to put this. We know he is Superman. But our world (in your fic) doesn't, at least not yet. And now, the world will see who he is, how he feels, and how he embodies the ethics and concern of our fictional Superman. They'll see that even a superhero, who has miraculously stepped out of the pages of fiction into our real world, can't do everything. And it will make Clark more sympathetic, more accessible.

Staring at his drawn expression on the television screen, Lois felt as though her chest was actually aching. She wanted to hold and comfort him, and it took her a moment to realize that these feelings were something more intense that what she’d feel for just anyone.

He was getting under her skin, making her feel things she hadn’t felt in a long time. It was just a reminder of how emotionally dangerous he could be.
Also poetic. You've drawn a wonderful picture of Lois, gradually freezing, withering, drawing away, becoming immersed in her work, finding no pleasure in the wonderful trivialities of daily life. She has no family, no friends (just business associates), her apartment is just a camping place and not a real home, (and she can't even enjoy the view from it!)
Food doesn't taste good, she hasn't had sex for a long time (probably), and all she reports on are events on blasted battlefields out in hellish heat, and on disasters and tragedies, and on people doing horrible things. No wonder she has become closed, furled, tightly bound, shut up in a defensive perimeter to protect herself.

And now, the Ice Queen is melting. She's beginning to feel once again. It's dangerous. But it's living. She's only been existing, not really living, for a long time now. Can Clark get her to actually live?

The sound of the wind became a deafening roar, and she tried to move faster, only to be slowed by the people ahead of her. She felt the entire structure of the stairwell begin to shake as the wind directly outside the wall rose to a deafening scream.
That is frightening. Usually hospital stairwells are built very sturdily. To have a tornado do what that one is doing....better start thinking about who you want to inherit your estate.

Anita’s hands were shaking, although she tried to calm herself. It wouldn’t do to let Jacob see that she was afraid. Children took their cues from adults, and as long as she didn’t show fear, he would be all right.

She was surprised to feel his tiny hand patting her on the arm.

“It’ll be all right,” he said into her ear. “Superman will save us.”
The innocent faith of a child. It's a tremendous responsibility for Clark.

The man smiled. “Maybe later, when you are feeling a little stronger. No promises though…I have a lot of people to save tonight. If I get a chance to come back and see you I will. What’s your name?”

In the reflected light of the lantern, Jacob’s face almost seemed to glow.
Please, please tell me that this will give Jacob the will to live, and that Clark will come back to take him flying. (Even though you're playing the "chemo kid wants one final wish" card).

Anita heard the sounds of a door opening from above, and then she saw a sudden shining light.

A man was floating down the stairwell carrying a powerful spotlight in one hand. In the darkness she could barely make out the outline of his cape, and she was blinded as light passed over her eyes.
Out of the darkness, light. This carries so much symbolism, on so many levels. Good job.

The reporter turned and said, “According to sources, the man claiming to be Superman..."
(My italics) - As I recall, Clark hasn't really claimed to be Superman, at least in words. He's just said that people "know what the Suit means". It's his actions that have defined him as Superman.

Susan Nguyen was at the door along with several Federal agents. “I have a judge’s order for Lois Lane to be released.”
Yay! Susan comes through!

Hey, I'm wondering - with Susan's name, is she the child of Vietnamese immigrants of the 1970's? Or an immigrant herself? (I'm assuming she kept her maiden name to use professionally, but I could be wrong, of course.) I have this picture in my head of an Asian-looking woman in a sober, lawyer-type suit, with glasses and a studious, competent air about her. Someone who doesn't have to bully or threaten (unlike Agent Randal) because she can achieve her objectives in a courteous, yet decisive, manner.

Interesting if she is a child of refugees, because then both she and Clark are immigrants giving that extra spice to the Melting Pot that's America.

Already three farmers and two car owners were threatening lawsuits. Susan only sighed and muttered something about Clark coming through with treasure soon.
Guess he'd better start looking for those shipwrecks. Of course, if he has money, that'll only encourage the parasites.

You know, I can just see these lawsuits going up to the higher courts, and the justices construing a whole line of "Superman Law". You've already pointed out some of the interesting but threatening areas of concern in the Good Samaritan laws.

For example: does Clark have a duty to assist? What if he does help and does something that no one else could be expected to do? Aren't many insurance policies written with the "reasonable person" doctrine? Superman's actions certainly couldn't be considered usual or customary as defined by a reasonable person. Or, if Clark causes property damage while he's helping, is the property damage an Act of God as defined by insurance policies?

Now you've really got me wondering again, Shayne. As ever, you've made one or two little statements that set off a whole line of speculation.

“Some people in New Haven wonder why he wasn’t here for them,” the reporter was saying, “When he saved everyone else. With almost a quarter of the buildings in town devastated, they wonder why he didn’t get there any faster.”

Lois’s sudden sense of outrage surprised her. “They’re lucky he’s there at all,” she said. “Who knows how long they’d be buried under all that before people could dig them out.”

“If he does this for very long, he’s going to have to get used to people taking him for granted,” Susan said. “Not everyone is as grateful as they should be for help.”
Unfortunately, all too true. What I'd hope to see is that the common-sense average citizen will reason it out as follows:

1) Shit happens.
2) Usually we can't do anything about shit happening.
3) Superman is trying to mitigate the effects of the shit happening.
4) And someone is suing him for it? WTF? They should be down on their knees thanking God for Superman. Throw those cases out of court.

Well, I can hope, can't I?
Susan knows better. She's a lawyer.

The reporter turned and said, “According to sources, the man claiming to be Superman has helped identify survivors both living and dead.”

Lois snickered and murmured to Susan. “The dead aren’t survivors.”
I love this! Get the words right! As Mark Twain said, "The difference between the word that is right and the word that is almost right is the difference between the lightning and the lightning bug." Lois knows that. Obviously, the newbie reporter has yet to learn.

Oh, man, what's going to happen next?

I can't wait to see Clark meeting with the government powers that be (will Lois be there? He needs her there!) What will the negotiations be like?
The government has the hostages/passengers, and of course all the powers of government and the military. More specifically, it has the ability to work with institutions such as the Large Hadron Collider - they turn it on/off, and maybe make or suppress the rifts? Clark can't get back without the government's cooperation.

On the other hand, Clark has his Superman powers, and more importantly, the power of public opinion.

As time goes by, the idea of a real Superman in our world, once crazy, becomes just smokin' cool. Don't you think that the military pilots who took the footage of him rescuing the plane, or who tried to shoot him down, are now getting beers bought for them at bars because of their stories? Heck, the fact that a flying man exists can't be covered up anymore!

Will the government try to use the planeload of passengers in some unethical way (more so than they already have done, I mean?), to control Clark's actions? I guess I'm wondering how low our government will actually go, and what kind of actions they'll stoop to. Unfortunately, based on real world events, I have a bad feeling. But (*puts on a happy face*) maybe the fact that Superman exists will be enough to raise the ethical level. Will the government feel they have to control Clark, or will there be someone at a decision-making level who'll actually have the stones to say, "Screw it. Just trust him."? (I'm betting on Agent White.) Probably not, because those government weenies can't imagine trusting anyone.

And I'm still waiting for that interview that Clark supposedly gave to Lois Lane!

I've still got a long wish list of things I want to see. Keep on writing, see if I get all my wishes fulfilled!

Go, go, go Shayne! I'm waiting for each installment with bated breath. Please, make this a long fic, because it's interesting, and well-written, and just so much darn fun!

#52642 05/29/08 06:23 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
This is a great chapter! thumbsup I don't have much to add to what everyone else has said.
“But it’s Superman out there,” Jacob said, his eyes wide and shining.
Children are calling him "Superman", adults "the man in the Superman suit." At some point the adults will catch up, perhaps with the help of the children. If Clark acts like Superman and has all Superman's powers, then saying he's not Superman is making a rather fine distinction. I hope at least the TV networks have given up the "hoax" angle by now.

It would be wonderful if he could come back and take Jacob flying when things have calmed down a little.

Maybe Lois will talk about him on CNN now that she's out. I'm surprised Pilar hasn't tracked her down and kidnapped her. laugh

Since Clark was familiar with the Kryptonian writing system when he was watching "Superman: the Movie," I assume he knows he's Kal-El of Krypton. It would be nice if Lois called him that in her report instead of "Clark Kent," in case there are any passengers watching. (I'm still harboring the probably vain hope that Clark will be able to go home with his secret intact.)

It would be interesting to hear what some of the eyewitnesses to Clark are saying to each other and to others afterwards. Right now I think everyone who sees him in action is too stunned to talk about it.

#52643 05/30/08 03:54 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
You always manage to keep me on my toes!

“But it’s Superman out there,” Jacob said, his eyes wide and shining. He was unnaturally thin and bald and it had been a long time since Anita had seen any expression on his face other than pain and sadness.
There it is again. One and a half sentences, and we are very near to this terribly sick and sad little boy. You do it perfectly!
By the way, this is the second minor character named Jacob in your story. Do I sense a pattern?

Anita’s hands were shaking, although she tried to calm herself. It wouldn’t do to let Jacob see that she was afraid. Children took their cues from adults, and as long as she didn’t show fear, he would be all right.
I renember clearly the stories my mother told us kids from her youth during World War II. She also told us from those nights in their cellars when overhead the bombs were raining down. My grandparents did the same to keep their children quiet, it included also a lot of praying... I immediately thought of this when I read this passage.

Jacob waved his tiny hand, and the man turned toward him.
“Can you heal me?” he asked.
and
The man smiled. “Maybe later, when you are feeling a little stronger. No promises though…I have a lot of people to save tonight. If I get a chance to come back and see you I will. What’s your name?”
In the reflected light of the lantern, Jacob’s face almost seemed to glow.
As I wrote above, I´m not sure about a pattern. But I´m nearly sure of the reference you are using here... Biblical? Jacob wrestling with the Angel, until he consented to give him a benediction?
Very, very moving! So beautiful! hyper

#52644 06/01/08 11:18 AM
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
I'm interested in seeing Clark's responses to Lois. She has already started admitting her growing feelings to herself, even though she hasn't had the opportunity to share those feelings with him.

Wouldn't it be nice for Clark to be able to lean on Lois during this time where he sees his failures more clearly than he sees his successes? His ties to Lana are loosening, but I'm not sure if he has yet given himeslf permission to lean on Lois. Of course although it's been 35 parts for us to read, it's only been a few days that they've known each other.

I appreciated Superman's honesty with Jacob. I liked how he was careful to not make promises which he would not be able to keep. Please, let him be able to make good on his almost-promise. I would so enjoy watching healthy Jacob go flying.

Elisabeth

#52645 06/04/08 04:03 PM
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Delightful part.
“I’m doing the best I can,” Clark said grimly. His expression was tight and closed. “Unfortunately, today that wasn’t good enough.”
Clark needs some support. Can we please see some news commentators who are Superman fans talking about this?

Perhaps an anchor watching this scene on the replay telling us that this response is classic Superman. That the often used response it to remind Superman that whatever he can do is enough?

By now there should be hundreds of Blogs talking about Superman, some must be written by fans, and picked up by the various news programs?

In my area the local newspaper and TV coverage sites and quotes from a number of Blogs.

We also need see the paradigm shift in the media from "the man in the superman costume" to "Superman".

Perhaps it starts with an anchor who refers to him as "Superman" on camera and is corrected by a co-anchor.

"George, I think you mean "the man in the superman costume" "

"No Frank, I said "Superman" and I meant "Superman". The man is doing the job lets give him the respect he's earned."

And it spreads, within hours every newscaster is saying "Superman" .

Framework4
#52646 06/05/08 03:28 PM
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Aren't we about due for some more?? wildguy wildguy wildguy

C'mon, man! Don't leave me hangin! grovel

~•~
#52647 06/05/08 04:33 PM
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Originally posted by Queen of the Capes:
Aren't we about due for some more??
Maybe Shayne got sucked through a rift and is in the L&C 'Verse.

Framework4
#52648 06/05/08 07:10 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Need... Veritas fix... soon...

#52649 06/06/08 08:22 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Veritas.....I need Veritas..... help

Shayne, where are you? Come back, right now! wildguy

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard