Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
Well, this installment is finally done. I hope everyone has had a nice ride so far, and I also hope that the (fake) ending didn’t upset anyone.

I’m currently working on the third part of the trilogy – which I didn’t originally intend to be a trilogy – and hopefully I will start posting it by the beginning of autumn in the USA. I know where it’s going to start, I know what needs to happen in the middle, and I’ve even written most of the ending, but it will take me some time to put it all together. I have a couple of other WIPs, one of which is pretty close to beta status (and is much shorter), so I’m not going to disappear any time soon.

There are no spoilers in this document, so it won’t help to read this before you read the last chapter. I can promise that there will be some fallout from the shooting, some angst, some deep soul-searching, and some dramatic turns in the final story, which will NOT be anywhere near the length of this one. Unlike some others, I have no desire to hold the record for longest story on the archive. Who knows, someday we might be billed for all the storage we take up, and if that happens I’ll become the quickest vignette writer this side of the Mississippi River.

Some of you have finally accepted that Lex isn’t the bad guy. And some of the comments I’ve received about him have given me some important insight into the final disposition of this character. The concerns expressed about who Lois might have near her are quite valid and will be addressed in the closing story also.

We’ll learn what happens with the various romantic relationships which have developed, and we’ll learn who lives and who dies. (You can count this as an early WHAM warning.) And while I’m here, I want to thank my outstanding beta readers Elisabeth, Tricia, and Princess Anne. They provided me with outstanding comments, and the stuff you liked about this story is largely their responsibility. The stuff you didn’t like is, of course, fully my own responsibility.

Again, thanks for reading! And thanks for caring enough to leave comments. I treasure them, truly.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
M
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
M
Three months for the next installment? frown Well, I'll be looking forward to it.

T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
I knew you were going to do this to us... I knew it!

Forty one instalments to get to... where?

Okay, I'll give you that this was well written and the complex emotions of and between the characters were well drawn and well presented. And I suppose that given the complexity of the emotions and the situations that our duo found themselves in that it would be unfair to expect you to tie it all up in a nice bow so quickly.

Still, you could have taken a couple more instalments and then tied up the bow?

Nevermind my ranting. This will just give you some time to reveal Lex for the 'person' he really is and Lois can get over her unnatural infatuation with Luthor.

I'll wait... I won't be happy about it, but I'll wait.

Tank (who knows that Rebecca is toast because Clark is too much of a 'nice guy' to dump her)

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
So it's over. Or rather, it's not. I feel a bit cheated, even though I realized a few chapters ago that you wouldn't be able to finish this in what was left of the forty-one chapters you had promised us.

I also feel a bit cheated when it comes to the WHAM warning. I was nervous about who was going to die, but so far it was only Nigel, so I was worrying over nothing. The death of the principal villain - at least the principal villain so far - really doesn't merit a WHAM warning. But you told us yourself that you had really planned to finish this story when you reached the forty-first chapter, and then someone besides Nigel was meant to be dead.

Who was the intended victim? I speculated that it might be Lois after all, and you commented that it was interesting that I would think it might be Lois. Really, Terry? Which LnC character has been killed most often in recent years? Clark? Jimmy? Perry? Martha, Jonathan? There is no contest. It's Lois. You have killed her yourself in one of your stories, but you have never killed Clark, not permanently. (I don't think you have given Jimmy, Perry, Martha or Jonathan a violent or premature death, either, even though Perry and/or Martha and Jonathan may have succumbed to old age.)

In your upcoming sequel, I therefore consider Lois a potential victim. Another obvious possibility is Rebecca, of course. And Cat. Is Clark in danger? Only if you want to prove to me that you can do it - kill Clark, I mean. But I guess that the most likely male victim might be Lex. His death would be enough of a loss to merit a WHAM warning.

I really liked Lex in this chapter. You wrote his musings very well. I absolutely don't blame Lex for killing Nigel, but I appreciate the fact that Lex regrets the fact that he had to kill, nevertheless.

But he couldn't escape the knowledge that he'd taken some satisfaction in pulling the trigger and shooting Nigel. He'd thought Lois was dead, he knew Rebecca was bleeding to death at Nigel's feet, he'd seen firsthand the effects of the green crystal on Superman, and Nigel's pistol was about to spit death at him. There had been no reasonable second choice.

Yet the deed was done, and the impact on him would be great. He hadn't shot anyone since his days in the military, and the innocent and idealistic youth of that time had given way to an older and more reflective man who deeply regretted the taking of human life, no matter the justification. And this was something that would dog him for some time.
I like this very much.

I also like how Clark trusted Lex with his secret about his and Lois's telepathic link, and again I very much liked how you described Lex's reactions to this astounding news.

Clark nodded. “Good thought. Hang on a minute.” He turned his head and his eyes took on an unfocused look.

Now what? thought Lex.

After a few seconds, Clark seemed to come back to himself. “Lois says that Rebecca is in the emergency room and they're planning to take her directly to surgery. Bill Henderson is checking on her, and as soon as he gets back Lois will head back this way.”

Lex goggled at him. “How – how could you possibly know – “

“Oh.” Clark smiled sheepishly. “I forgot you didn't know. Lois and I can communicate telepathically.”

“Ah.” Lex took a deep breath and let it out slowly. “The day continues to bring me surprises.”

“Yeah. Sorry about that.”

Lex shook his head. “No matter. We should depart as soon as possible.”
I really liked and sympathized with Lex here.

And I liked him here, too:

He glanced at Clark again. This man could speak mind-to-mind with Lois. Who knew what they might say to each other? Was this ability part of the entire super-hero package, or did it portend something more serious? Could Superman read other minds? Could Clark communicate with Rebecca also? If not, what did that mean concerning his relationship with Lois? And what did it mean for his relationship with Rebecca?

What did the answers to those questions mean for Lex's relationship with Lois? He loved her, that was certain, but he was not quite sure that she loved him. He'd thought so the night before on the Miss Emily, but she hadn't said the words and he'd been afraid to ask her just how she felt about him. Given his previous statements about both Superman and Ultra Woman, he thought he understood why. It was a breach he'd have to work very hard to heal. And he truly wanted it to be healed.

The friendship between Lois and Clark was stronger than any non-romantic relationship he'd ever seen, but did that mean that Lois really loved Clark and was simply getting out of his way to keep him from having to choose between herself and Rebecca? Or did it mean that Clark and Lois had mutually decided not to be romantically involved?
The incredible news about Lois and Clark might easily have made Lex feel betrayed, belittled, insanely jealous or angry and scared. But he is just thoughtful, and he is wondering about what all these things mean, and how he can do the best about the situation. He certainly still loves Lois.

The scene with Lois and Henderson was so funny somehow:

“Hey! Are you Ultra Woman?”

So much for being left alone, she sighed. She turned to face the man calling to her.

Oh, great, it was Bill Henderson. The day was getting more interesting by the minute.

She'd never met Bill as Ultra Woman. Best to be standoffish and act like she didn't know him from Adam's pet porcupine. She put her hands on her hips and glared at him. “I am Ultra Woman. Who, sir, are you?”
I giggled at Lois's decision to be a porcupine - oh, wait, it was Henderson she was going to treat as if he was Adam's pet porcupine! (And that mental image in itself was so funny.)

“New costume, I see. Looks good on you.”

“Thank you. Are you a fashion consultant or have you a legitimate reason for accosting me?”
Wow! That porcupine is prickly!

Her overly formal and prickly manner didn't faze him a bit. “Did I hear right? You just brought in a gunshot victim?”

“Why do you wish to know this, sir?”

He looked into her eyes for a moment and seemed to step into a more formal character himself. He fished his shield out of his coat pocket and held it up. “Detective William Henderson, Metropolis Police. I need to ask you some questions and I'd like to get a formal statement from you.”

She nodded imperiously to the taller man. “Ask your questions, Detective William Henderson.”
She nodded imperiously to the taller man - that's so funny! (And she called him Detective William Henderson!)

“Right.” He hesitated for a moment, and Lois thought he was going to terminate the interview. But she was wrong. “Who shot her?”

Lois sighed. “You must ask that question of the people who were with her at the time of the shooting. The boat is the Miss Emily, owned and operated by Lex Luthor. The other two passengers aboard were Clark Kent and Lois Lane.”

Bill grinned crookedly. “I see. I should have known that Lois would be in the middle of something this weird.
If Henderson hasn't already guessed that Ultra Woman is Lois, he is bound to figure it out soon.

He held out his hand. “No, thank you, Ultra Woman. Ever since you came on the scene, a lot of the crooks in Metropolis have either decided to go somewhere else or take up honest occupations. The violent crime rate is down and the bad guys are more scared of you than they are of the police. Or even Superman. So let me thank you.”

She took his hand and gripped it firmly. She was slightly gratified to see his jaw tighten as she squeezed. “You are welcome, Detective Henderson.”
Lois couldn't resist squeezing Henderson's hand until it hurt! So funny!

All in all, this was another very well-written, satisfying chapter. The entire "Further On Down the Road" has been a pleasure to read. But to me it was a bit of a disappointment that we may be another forty-one chapters away from the conclusion of this story.

Ann

Columnist
Columnist
It's over? But... But... There's so much left!

Terry, I think I might go into withdrawl if I have to wait months to get more of this! When you say fall, do you mean September, or November? As a Canadian, fall could even be considered late August if you define it loosely. Personally, I vote for that one. wink

You know, I sort of suspected that Lois would loose her powers permanently as a result of the Kryptonite. But I'm glad to see that she still has them so far.

I feel a little bad for Lex. He's so used to being in control and being the leader, but his interaction with Clark had him at a disadvantage. He's learned a lot today, and he's still trying to catch up.

I really enjoyed this story, Terry! I can't wait to read the sequel.

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Originally posted by Terry Leatherwood:
Some of you have finally accepted that Lex isn’t the bad guy.
Perhaps but some of us think you are going to great lengths to setup both Lois and Clark.
And what should he do about Arianna? She had obviously ordered Nigel to kill him. Should he let the law take its course, or should he take matters into his own hands? And how would Lois respond if he did clear up the matter on his own? Would she help him or turn him over to the police, or simply ignore his actions?
This from a man who were are supposed to believe is bothered by shooting Nigel. Hmm...
Clark frowned. “If you’re not working for Lex, why does Alex Winfield show up in so many of those questionable transactions?”

Lex started. “What? Alex Winfield?”

Nigel sniffed aristocratically. “Because of my own vanity, I suppose. I found it amusing to entangle my legitimate employer in those illegitimate dealings. It was also useful to deflect certain investigative inquiries.”

Clark shook his head. “You sure did that. I thought for sure that Lex was connected to those criminal dealings, but it was you all the time.”
Clark you've been fooled. I'm sure it will turn out that it was only Nigel some of the time!

Thanks for the Whamm warning, nice but after killing Lana in the last part most of knew that the more serious Clark about Rebecca the closer to death she got. Might as well have given her a classic Trek red shirt .
Perhaps in the next part Clark and his new girlfriend can go to a costume party and you can have her wear this outfit.

Of course it is not just you. Being blonde and expressing interest in Clark Kent in L&C was just as good a sign of impending death as a red shirt.

Framework4
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Terry, what are you doing to us? Okay, Rebecca is still going to die, unless Lex himself manages to get himself killed.

Henderson so knows about Lois little secret. And the criminals closing up shop in Metropolis. I may have to borrow that idea for a future fic of mine smile

Looking forward to September.

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
Wow. Such a response over one little chapter.

Hey, y'all, I never said a MAJOR character would die. I said there would be a "character death."

The death of the principal villain - at least the principal villain so far - really doesn't merit a WHAM warning.
I don't agree. If a major character dies in a story - and Nigel was a major character, despite being a bad guy - people who don't like to read about death don't want to be surprised and shocked by it.

Tank, you have to like this story! Lois has short hair!

And Ann, I specifically stated in my opening paragraph of this thread that the next installment would NOT be forty-plus chapters in length. This one just kind of expanded exponentially on its own, as if someone (not me) had poured a virtual bottle of Miracle Gro on my Lois and Clark subdirectory. The concluding tale will be much shorter, I promise.

I see that you're still worried about Lois dying. That's very interesting.

Loved the red shirt, Patrick. "Expendable" indeed! But if I portrayed that model wearing the shirt, who would look at anyone else? And I see that you aren't convinced that Lex is a "not-bad" guy. That's very interesting. And so is your comment about Lex - upset about shooting Nigel - thinking about going after Arianna on his own. It's a good point, but I meant for it to show that Lex isn't perfect. Besides, it's one thing to order a revenge killing, it's another thing to pull the trigger yourself. I'm not saying that either of those things is the right thing to do, only that the psychological impact will be different.

Why would Bill Henderson know that Lois Lane is Ultra Woman? This was his first time meeting her in hero costume, and her manner as UW is light years from her manner as Lois. Aside from a similarity in height, what would cause him to make that connection? Unless, of course, he's ever so much smarter than everyone else in Metropolis.

Michael, you're welcome to the idea. It's not patented.

Thanks for reading and commenting, Beth. When I say "fall," I'm referring to an August to October time frame to begin posting. Remember, I'm the guy who won't even let my betas read my stuff until I'm finished with the entire first draft. I have it mostly outlined and some of the segments have been written, but I still have to connect all the dots.

Again, thanks for reading! And thanks for commenting. I'll see y'all on the boards again soon.

E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
Thanks for writing. I look forward to the final segment at summer' end. My only complaint is that this part didn't feel done. While the A-plot was almost resolved, it wasn't quite there yet. Also, the B-plot was left with more questions than answers. It reminds me of the old classic, Dawning, where there were many "stories" but not a one of them felt like it ended. (But I continued to read each and every one. Truly addicted.)

Elisabeth

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Originally posted by Terry Leatherwood:
Besides, it's one thing to order a revenge killing, it's another thing to pull the trigger yourself.
True, most courts and juries would look on the hiring of a killing as cold blooded murder, far worse that shooting someone in anger.

So your Lex has the connections to hire it done. Interesting.

Framework4
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
The last part! (Stupid internet connection.)

Hm, so it's nowhere near done. Not very gratifying, but I would definitely feel more cheated if you had gone and wrapped everything up with a nice bow in the last 2-3 parts.

It was definitely amusing to watch Lex's and Clark's interaction on the boat. Lex Luthor out of his element (be he good or evil or in between) is always a treat. Except I wasn't sure what to make of this:

“Not a problem. You’re not used to thinking like this and I am.”

I should be, mused Lex.
At the end, I didn't think Lex was necessarily thinking of having Arianna killed. I wasn't sure exactly what punishment he was thinking of, but I'm not a billionaire ex-military semi-savory corporate mogul. smile

But I hope the legal route pans out with Arianna. Perhaps Cat's infiltration can get the evidence they need, since all they've got now is Nigel's word, and Nigel is dead.

I'll be keeping an eye out of the next installment!

BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Well, this installment is finally done. I hope everyone has had a nice ride so far, and I also hope that the (fake) ending didn’t upset anyone.
Terry, it was a great ride. I figured a few chapters back that there would need to be another installment, but I'm not *too* upset by it. As long as it gets finished ... eventually.

I also loved the introspection by Lex. I believe that he's essentially a 'good guy', but probably more in the sense of S1 Lois believing that he's a ruthless business man who has stepped on toes or hurt people in his pursuit of success. I also find it interesting that he seems to have the moral flexibility that *could* allow him to be the Lex we all know and hate. Also, he and Lois have already had issues with their takes on the morality of Ultra Woman. I see a potential break-up for them anyway because of that difference (a la Mayson Drake's disdain for S-Man in the series). 'Course, that could just be wishful thinking on my part. laugh

Good show and hurry along with the last book in the trilogy.
Brenda

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
After reading everybody's responses, I feel I was too harsh when I said I felt cheated when this story wasn't brought to a conclusion here. Let me amend that and say that I was a bit disappointed!

Ann

E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
Not me. I was *very* disappointed at the "fake" ending, even though I knew it was coming. I was disappointed not because it wasn't done yet, but because it means a long break until it will be finished.

Elisabeth
who hopes you will consider this a wound from a faithful friend, instead of being bummed

T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
Elisabeth, the A-plot doesn't feel "done" because it isn't done. There are a number of loose ends to deal with, most of which have already been pointed out by the gentle (and not-so-gentle) readers. I promise to wrap up everything in the next installment, and I also once again promise that it WON'T be forty chapters long.

Ann, please don't think that you should change your opinion based on the opinions of others. Your reaction may not be what I was aiming for or hoping for, but it's perfectly valid and it's perfectly okay for you to tell you what your reaction is. I promise that I won't get upset because the story didn't go in the direction you hoped it would. I don't demand that other authors write to satisfy just little old me, and it would be hypocritical of me to expect you to love everything I write just because I write it.

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
So now that this is on the archive, is the next one coming anytime soon?

It *is* autumn after all...

Carol [who wasn't feeling well today and basically let the kids fend for themselves while she curled up on the couch and read both of these - and who actually *almost* liked Lana]

S
Columnist
Columnist
S
Next installment in Fall 2008?

Fall is past,
The year is done,
been waiting a while
and I've finished part one.

Time's gone on,
I've read part two,
enjoyed it a lot
but now I'm waiting on you.

Part three, you see,
Waiting to be read,
By the whole darn nation,
Seems to be lost in your imagination!

Looking forward to Going Further On Down the Road.

Shallowford
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
I agree with him! When will be story be finished?

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
Wow. Thanks for the interest, y'all. And for the poem, Shallowford. No one's ever written me a poem before. *sniff* I'm really touched.

Last year was mostly a lost year as far as anything outside of work and recovery from two major surgeries was concerned. I never thought "coming back" from an injury was that big a deal, but I now have a lot more respect for athletes who return to competition after knee and shoulder injuries. It takes a lot more time to regain flexibility and strength in those joints than I thought it would, and since I'm no longer a spry young chicken, it's taken me a bit longer than that.

But I can tell you that I am working on the middle part of "The End Of The Road" and I anticipate getting it to beta stage by late spring or early summer, if not before. I have the beginning and the ending written - now all I have to do is tie them together. I know what I need to do, but getting the words right has been a struggle. But I plan to finish it this year. Honest.

I'm running out of joints to repair, anyway.

Thanks for the continued interest in this other-world Lois and Clark. We'll have to see what the future brings for these two.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
wave Hi Terry!
So sorry to hear about your medical issues frown Glad things are getting better. And I do anticipate some vacation time coming up this summer, so where is the application form for a sneak-peak in exchange for remarks and suggestions?

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard