ShayneT Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Well, tell me what you think!

#52441 05/25/08 06:31 AM
Kerth
Kerth
I think she is about to be a VERY famous lawyer.

As for Clark, if he isn't careful he'll have to accept Earth's surrender or something, then what will he do?

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#52442 05/25/08 07:00 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Oh wow! Yay, the lawyer friend's back smile

Hmm, so the government, although terrified and shooting every weapon at him, is planning to use the plane passengers as a bargaining chip?

Knowingly or unknowingly the government is on it's way to exploit Superman's ethical standing. As one Lex Luthor put it, "he is unrelentingly good"... or maybe ....

I guess this would be a very tough fight between believers and non-believers in resolving the tense political situation which is spreading all over the world.

Superb as always!!!

thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
#52443 05/25/08 07:47 AM
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Delightful part. smile

Nitpicking alert; In Red Square the viewpoint character was thinking
man in the bright suit with
Why would he think that instead of what the Lawyer later on thought?
man in the Superman outfit
Do the Russians not recognize him?
Lucy was watching her calmly.

“You knew I wasn’t your sister?”

Lucy nodded slowly. “I’ve suspected from the beginning.”
Well done. So I wonder what the others have figured out?

“For all we know, they have an identical collider on the other side and the effects only happen when both are running at the same time.”

Dr. Ledderman was silent for a moment. “So the weaker effects could be the other collider running in the other world without ours?”
Perhaps someone on the plane has the answer to this?

BTW Shayne,

Are you an H. Beam Piper fan?

Framework4
#52444 05/25/08 08:40 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Another great part! thumbsup As always, the plot twists and turns are keeping things fascinating.

Apparently Lois is not the only Lane who makes intuitive leaps. wink

It is sad to see that the only thing governments want to do with Clark is shoot first and ask questions later, but in keeping with the title of your fic that's probably realistic. frown

It seems pretty clear that Clark is not going to get anywhere by talking to government officials, who seem mostly to be clinically paranoid. I guess the U.S. is taking it worse than most, since we're not used to having to deal with more power than we have ourselves. I have no doubt that if kryptonite existed in this world, they'd use it without hesitation, then claim afterwards that Clark wasn't really Superman and was an evil alien planning to take over the world. Maybe there are more people like Agent White in the government who, though cautious, are not completely around-the-bend paranoid and are willing to give Clark a chance.

And I hate to say it, but Americans, for the most part, are not particularly in touch with what's going on in the rest of the world. Clark will need to do more in the continental U.S. if he's going to make emotional contact with Americans.

At least the U.S. government seems to realize the need to shut down the LHC as quickly as possible.

I would be tempted to write our world off as a lost cause from Clark's perspective, but I hope he can do something to help people regain perspective. It would be nice if people were to regret seeing him go home rather than say "good riddance." Best of all would be if he could inspire ordinary people to view the world in a different way, as that's where any change in our world needs to come from. Maybe he can give a speech like he did in "Big Girls Don't Fly" about what everyone can do, not just superheroes.

I really is a sad statement about our world that we fantasize about superheroes, but if one actually showed up, this is probably how we'd react.

#52445 05/25/08 08:54 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
After all that gloom I had to post just once more to thank you for this gem:
She felt a familiar tug on her shirt.

“Mommy, Superman is in our backyard.”

Susan blinked and said, “That’s nice dear. Just stay away from the door.”
laugh

#52446 05/25/08 09:41 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Hey! razz

Perfectly portrayed! That´s what mothers do when the kids tell impossible tales! hyper

#52447 05/25/08 10:45 AM
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
Lois asked, sitting down finally on the cheap couch across from the woman who looked like her sister.
and
Lois sighed and grabbed the remote from the cheap coffee table. She flipped channels impatiently until she found what she needed.
Are you saying that government accodomations are cheap?

Once Lucy has pegged this place as an evil universe, it's difficult to argue that it isn't evil. How do you prove a negative?

Lucy stared at her and said, “So are you like part of the government conspiracy?”

Shaking her head, Lois said, “No, of course not! Why would you ask me that?”
Essentially she's asking if Lois has copped out. Even worse she's basing her views on a stereotype.

“It gets easier,” Lois said, knowing as she said it that it was only partially a lie.
Both our Lois and alt-Clark are such tragic heroes.

It's interesting to hear how the men argue each according to his country's official viewpoint without using their own brainpower to think for themselves. In their own way they are each expressing their own fears, although the United States is leading the way in cowardice. The US has turned tail and run, without even meeting with Superman to find out who the man is.

I´ve seen enough TV series about US lawyers to know what will happen now! Clark, that´s really evil!
What's evil about Clark hiring a lawyer? huh Perhaps I don't watch enough TV, but I don't know what happens next.

Elisabeth

#52448 05/25/08 11:16 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer

Had to chime in with the others. This was way too cute!

Great part.
JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#52449 05/25/08 02:12 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
“Where do you think you are?” Lois asked, sitting down finally on the cheap couch across from the woman who looked like her sister.

“They didn't tell us,” Lucy said. “All I know is that they started splitting us up a few hours ago. I saw people being loaded into at least a dozen different trucks.”

Lois grimaced. The moment the government had decided that Superman was real, they'd split the passengers into at least a dozen different locations.
They are splitting the passengers up! I think that is disgusting.

Was it AnKS who pointed out that the government was planning to use the passengers as bargaining chips? That sure doesn't make it any less didgusting!

“What year was I born?” Lois asked.

“Why are you…?” At Lois's expression, Lucy said, “You were born in 1967, of course.”

Lois shook her head. “I was born in 1982.”

Snickering, Lucy said, “You're very well developed for an eleven year old.”

“It's not 1993,” Lois said.
How shocking would it be to find that you are somehow eleven years behind everybody in the strange world where you have ended up?

“How much do you know about parallel worlds?”

“You mean like in Star Trek, where Spock had the beard.”
[Linked Image]

Perfect!!! clap

“So what you are trying to say is that I haven't just been transported in time, but that I've been moved to a different dimension.”

“Different universe,” Lois said absently. “Different dimension means something else.”
Heh! Yes, it does!

“So did the Nazis win in this universe, or what?” Lucy was staring at Lois with an odd fascination.

“What are you talking about?”

“You just said this was an evil dimension. I was just wondering when everybody turned evil.”

“I didn't say that,” Lois snapped. “This isn't the evil dimension.”

“The government arrested everybody and didn't give us a lawyer or a phone call or anything. That seems pretty evil to me.”
This is profound. From Lucy's perspective, the world she has ended up in is evil. She and the other passengers have surely been treated badly.

It reminds me how the current American administration has sometimes talked about the need to explain itself better to the world. Well, unfortunately, actions speak louder than words, certainly when you consider yourself or your compatriots the victims of those actions.

[Linked Image]

“I'm sure it would,” Lois said. “It's just that some bad things have happened since 1993 and things have changed.”

Lucy stared at her and said, “So are you like part of the government conspiracy?”

Shaking her head, Lois said, “No, of course not! Why would you ask me that?”
Lois is unconditionally loyal to her world. There is no way she is going to dismiss it all as evil. But when she is defending it, it looks to Lucy as if Lois is defending and backing up this world, whose evil nature seems so obvious to Lucy. So is Lois evil herself? You can't blame Lucy for wondering.

I thought you were somebody made to look like Lois,” Lucy said. She looked down at her hands. “To try to get me to talk. But you knew all these things that only Lois would know, and so I hoped…”

She'd hoped they were keeping Lois alive somewhere to provide the details they needed for those conversations.

“I guess she really isn't coming back,” Lucy said. Her expression crumpled and a moment later she flung herself forward to embrace Lois tightly.

Lois returned the hug, awkwardly at first, but then with more enthusiasm. This woman even smelled like her sister, and she was the closest thing Lois had left to family.
So moving. Poor Lucy, and poor Lois.

“At least you still have some hope that your Lois might be alive,” Lois said.

“You don't?” Lucy pulled back.

Lois shook her head.

“Mom, dad?”

Lois looked away, staring at the carpet.

“I'm so sorry,” Lucy said. She reached out and grabbed Lois's hand and squeezed it.

“It gets easier,” Lois said, knowing as she said it that it was only partially a lie.
I was about to say that this is heartbreaking, but that istn't the correct word for it. Both this Lois and alt-Clark have born their existential loneliness and struggled on, if only because life can be a duty. You don't just give up.

Elisabeth called alt-Clark and this Lois tragic heroes. That is a perfect way of putting it.

“So what are we to each other then?” Lucy asked finally, wiping tears from her eyes.

“Genetically we're sisters,” Lois said. “Maybe it's like discovering that your sister had a twin separated at birth or something.”

Lucy shook her head. “We're closer than that. Twins are completely different people but you seem a lot like the sister I remember.”

“You don't,” Lois said. At Lucy's shocked expression, Lois said, “The sister I remember was a brat, not a relatively mature woman.”

Grinning, Lucy said, “I'm still a brat. I'm just not used to being locked up.”
I love their conversation.

“I have a friend who is working on a way.” At Lucy's expression Lois quickly said, “It's not a sure thing, and it might not be workable at all, but there is a chance, as long as he can get the government to agree to let you all go.”

Lucy visibly deflated. “So we probably won't get to go then. Are you sure we aren't in the evil mirror universe?”

“I'm fairly certain,” Lois said. “Beards aren't really all that popular in my circle anyway.”
[Linked Image]

I guess not.

Despite the barricades the members of the press surged forward, and the flashes of light as the downed reentry module was photographed over against the backdrop of St. Basil's cathedral.
St. Basil's cathedral. Yes, that's what it's called.

[Linked Image]

“This is obviously a hoax being perpetrated by the Americans!” The Turkish ambassador's face was flushed. “As a cover for testing of a new weapon.”

The French ambassador didn't look any happier. “Our sovereign airspace was violated without prior notice. If we had known you had this superweapon, we would have…”

“Does it seem likely that we have anything that could move that quickly in space and then stop in mid-air?” he asked.

“We all know of American ingenuity,” the Israeli ambassador was usually more sympathetic to the American cause, but Joel could see that in this, none of the twenty men in the room believed a word he said.
:rolleyes:

Would everybody be this crazy if Superman turned up for real? Yes, probably.

“His presence is just proof of the larger problem,” Joel said. “You've seen the evidence. The Large Hadron Project must be shut down until these results can be investigated.”

“You think we do not know the difference between fiction and reality?” The French ambassador shook his head. “You helped finance this project and now you want it shut down.”
And as usual, politicians refuse to acknowledge the real problem! wallbash

“He looks like the comic book character Superman, but we have no idea who he really is, or what abilities he really has. For all we know he took this form just to make us let our guard down. There is no indication that he doesn't have all sorts of abilities we've never even thought of.”
:rolleyes:

When he heard the sounds of knocking on the window behind him, he turned slowly. He was on the second floor and there were no balconies near his window.

Floating in the window was the figure they had been discussing for the last hour.

What followed was mass confusion as everyone raced for the door.
Wow. Here is Superman, floating outside the nearest window, and he has done nothing but good, and all those high-ranking politicians flee like scared rabbits.

I don't know. This looks more and more like proof to me that these people are not on the side of the angels.

And everyone has quoted this already, so why shouldn't I?

Susan blinked and said, “That's nice dear. Just stay away from the door.”
That's so sweet and funny!

“Ma'am,” he said. “I'd like to hire your services.”

“Dressed like that?” she asked.

Her husband stared at her and said, “I guess you haven't been watching the news.”

As though to answer her question, the man levitated six feet in the air.

Susan stared at him for a long moment before saying “Oh.” She suddenly felt an intense urge to sit down.

“How would you like to be famous?” the man asked.
Yep, Clark sure needs legal representation in this universe! And so do all the passengers from his universe, for that matter.

Another brilliant part, Shayne!

Ann

#52450 05/25/08 07:05 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yahoo! Yay! Another chapter to feed my addiction!

They asked us a lot of questions about famous people like Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent. I guess you have them in this world too?”
Wait a minute. Is Clark a reporter for the Daily Planet? If he is, isn't it kind of a stretch to say that he's famous? I mean, I certainly don't know the reporters of my local newspaper. They're just bylines. Heck, I hardly know if anyone on my local paper has won awards.

I can understand Lucy knowing about Bruce Wayne - he's a playboy billionaire. He'd be in the media for sure. But Clark Kent, a mild-mannered reporter, is famous?

“They didn’t tell us,” Lucy said. “All I know is that they started splitting us up a few hours ago. I saw people being loaded into at least a dozen different trucks.”

Lois grimaced. The moment the government had decided that Superman was real, they’d split the passengers into at least a dozen different locations. If they were careful about just who knew where those locations were, and only talked among themselves when he was being recorded on the other side of the world, it would be hard for even Clark to find the passengers.
Whoa! The government is escalating here!

Lucy reached out to touch Lois’s face and said, “Then why are you so young?”

“I should be an old hag in my early forties you mean,” Lois said dryly.
I can just see Lois pursing her lips at this. Of course, in real life, like just about every actress, Teri Hatcher has probably had a facelift (meow! I'm being catty).

“You just said this was an evil dimension. I was just wondering when everybody turned evil.”

“I didn’t say that,” Lois snapped. “This isn’t the evil dimension.”

“The government arrested everybody and didn’t give us a lawyer or a phone call or anything. That seems pretty evil to me.”
You know, Shayne, the really scary thing about this fic is the mirror you put up to our own world, our own society. What happened to America's ideals? How did we lose them? When did we decide to piss on the Constitution?

Despite the barricades the members of the press surged forward, and the flashes of light as the downed reentry module was photographed over against the backdrop of St. Basil’s cathedral.
I can just imagine. So many photographs are taken there, it's a world-wide recognized icon. It's like the Eiffel Tower, the Statue of Liberty, Mount Fuji, or Big Ben. So with a very few words, you've painted a very vivid picture in my mind (once again!)

Nikolai gestured urgently. If someone shot at the man in the bright suit with a tank, he’d risk killing the cosmonauts inside. With the press watching, that would be a political nightmare, especially as there was an American on the crew.
Glad to see that the grunt on the spot is keeping his head. Nikolai has a thankless task and is doing a good job with it.

“I am here to help,” he said in flawless Russian.
Clark's languages are getting better! (Remember, his Burmese was heavily accented.) Is this because he's using that Kryptonian part of his brain that controls language fluency? Or did he just travel in Russia before?

Lucy visibly deflated. “Are you sure we aren’t in the evil mirror universe?”
No, Lucy, Lois denied it, but I think you are in the evil mirror universe. We just don't notice it because we're stuck in it, and the evilness has crept up on us bit by bit. (Like boiling the frog in the pot of water slowly - it doesn't realize the temperature is increasing, so it doesn't jump out and save itself).

Joel was losing them; it was hard enough trying to convince them that something as fantastic as other worlds were real without trying to convince them of the existence of a clearly fictional character. That the character was clearly impossible didn’t make it any easier.
In the "truth is stranger than fiction" department...Exhibit A. (tee hee hee)

“He looks like the comic book character Superman, but we have no idea who he really is, or what abilities he really has. For all we know he took this form just to make us let our guard down. There is no indication that he doesn’t have all sorts of abilities we’ve never even thought of.”

The French ambassador was the first to recover. “Everyone knows…”
Now I'm really wondering what the French ambassador was going to say. "Everyone knows Superman is a comic book character?" "Everyone knows that Superman is a good guy?"

They stopped suddenly and one of them pulled his gun. He could see the faces of the men in front of him suddenly going pale.

When he heard the sounds of knocking on the window behind him, he turned slowly. He was on the second floor and there were no balconies near his window.

Floating in the window was the figure they had been discussing for the last hour.

What followed was mass confusion as everyone raced for the door.
You know, I can just see this happening. Poor Clark! All he wants to do is talk. And he's met by panic. I guess all those ambassadors aren't buying into what the Suit means.

More and more agents were streaming onto the roof through an access panel; now there were thirty men and women standing in front of him, all in suits and all standing at ready. Their faces were impassive, although Clark could hear the sounds of their racing thoughts.
So Clark is telepathic now? Or is he hearing their racing hearts? Or their racing breaths?

But kudos to the Secret Service for facing up to what they have to think might be a super-powered assassin. Watching Clark shrugging off the tank fire was probably pretty alarming.

I'm sure there'll be a whole lot of talk in the Secret Service barracks (or wherever they hang out), because Clark has shown the Superman powers, he's wearing the Superman suit. I'm sure the Secret Service people are as knowledgeable about pop culture as any other Americans. Who doesn't know Superman? Don't you think they'd argue over their beer about whether they should believe in the Suit or not? After all, Superman has been persistently portrayed as a good guy.

But, in their defense, Shayne, you've written very clearly about the way they think and the necessity of their paranoid worldview.

Stepping through the patio doors, Susan watched as both men looked up. The man in the Superman outfit stood up as he saw her emerge.

“Ma’am,” he said. “I’d like to hire your services.”
(guffaw) Even Superman needs a good lawyer! (Another sad comment on today's society).

I'm so looking forward to Clark's conversation with Susan. Jared had better leave, though, so there is lawyer-client confidentiality.

Given the circumstances, it's wise for Clark to hire a go-between - it lets things de-escalate.

And another thing - lawyers like to be paid. Will Lois be taking care of this? Will Clark get some money, somehow, in our world? (I just can't see him doing endorsements, and we know he won't steal. Heck, he was queasy about picking winning lottery tickets.) But maybe Susan will be doing this pro bono? I mean, how many lawyers can say that Superman is their client?

Just some questions now:

Clark and Lois really haven't had time to talk either - they've just been on the run, or doing stuff, ever since Clark revealed his powers to Lois. So I hope the good Clark-Lois talk will come soon. She needs to end up in his world, and I can't see her doing that without her talking to him at length sometime.

And I'm getting a little worried here. The presence of a superhero implies the need for a supervillain to make the story go. Since Clark is fictional in our world,(but now he's real!) isn't there some sort of "story engine", or "mass consciousness", or "completing the underlying archetype", that Superman will follow the plot and fight a supervillain? Superman fights bad guys and protects the Earth - that's what he does.

So, if Clark doesn't get back to his own universe soon, will his presence in our universe be enough to attract a supervillain? That's rather frightening - we don't want anyone like Darkseid or Mongul in our world.

One last thing. This story inspired me to pull out my DVD of "Superman: Doomsday", which is a not-too-bad movie. What's interesting are the bonus features on the disc, specifically the interviews with the comics writers and creators about how they worked up the Doomsday-kills-Superman plotline. They have interviews with people like Mike Carlin, Jerry Ordway, Roger Stern, etc - big names in the comics biz. And they talked about setting up this plotline just to sell comics, and how they had to make it good, because the Superman character is so well-known and important. They're basically playing God with Clark Kent.

So, given the situation, I'm just wondering how the guys at DC Comics and Warner Bros. are feeling about the real Superman flying around. Are they going to make noises about copyright infringement, or are they going to be down on their knees thanking God for the sales boost? And, will Clark get to meet them? (Or did you fill that niche with Jim, the guy from the Superman Museum? I sure hope you get back to him.)

And, if the comics writers/artists meet the real Superman, will they then be blithely able to put the fictional Superman in such terrible peril on a weekly basis? I mean, you can think of bad stuff (bad stuff = drama, bad stuff = a story) happening to a fictional character much more easily than you can consider bad stuff happening to someone that you actually know and like. So, if they actually meet Clark, do you think the comics writers will lose their mojo?

And, if they meet the real Clark Kent/Superman, do you think they'll apologize for everything they've put him through? Because, right now, it's looking like our fiction is Clark's reality. Given what our fiction has done to Clark, we do owe him an apology.

#52451 05/26/08 02:22 AM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I think IolantheAlias has been the feedbacker par excellence of this story. clap Nevertheless, wouldn't you know I would find something to disagree with? (This gremlin here - :rolleyes: - rolls its eyes at me.)

Okay, IolantheAlias said:

And I'm getting a little worried here. The presence of a superhero implies the need for a supervillain to make the story go. Since Clark is fictional in our world,(but now he's real!) isn't there some sort of "story engine", or "mass consciousness", or "completing the underlying archetype", that Superman will follow the plot and fight a supervillain? Superman fights bad guys and protects the Earth - that's what he does.
Well, let me say that to me, the absence of a supervillain has been one of many delights about this story. Let's face it: this is a story about Superman in the real world, and in the real world, the really bad problems are not usually caused by supervillains. All right, I guess Hitler was one such supervillain, and when he was defeated, the surrender of Nazi Germany followed close behind. But usually the really big problems are much bigger than one big bad individual. Not many people talk about Usama bin Laden these days, but the Iraq war goes on and various extremist Muslim groups show there muscles in many countries.

I hope, therefore, that there won't be a supervillain in this story. That would cheapen and belittle the problem here, I think. Facing a supervillain is one thing, but facing the political and military elite of all the dominant countries in the world is something else entirely.

But while I and IolantheAlias may look differently at the supervillain question, I had to laugh and applaud at this comment of hers(?):

So, given the situation, I'm just wondering how the guys at DC Comics and Warner Bros. are feeling about the real Superman flying around. Are they going to make noises about copyright infringement, or are they going to be down on their knees thanking God for the sales boost? And, will Clark get to meet them? (Or did you fill that niche with Jim, the guy from the Superman Museum? I sure hope you get back to him.)
Copyright infringement!!! You know, I can imagine Warner Bros. hiring their own lawyer and suing Clark for copyright infringement!!! I guess the lawyer representing Warner Bros. might just possibly turn out to be one of the biggest villains of this story!

Ann

#52452 05/26/08 02:55 AM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Oh, ha-ha! I just couldn't resist. Can't help thinking that the plot of this book may have something to do with your story, Shayne! (And I hope you can get to this page even if you are not a NYT subscriber.)

Ann

#52453 05/27/08 11:42 AM
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
Thank you, Iolan, for pointing out the only two nitpicks I had with this segment (which I forgot to mention when I left feedback). I didn't think that Clark Kent would be famous either. Also, I wondered how Superman would be listening to their thoughts, unless of course they were thinking out loud.

Elisabeth

#52454 05/28/08 05:10 AM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
IolantheAlias wrote:
You know, Shayne, the really scary thing about this fic is the mirror you put up to our own world, our own society. What happened to America's ideals? How did we lose them? When did we decide to piss on the Constitution?
Please cut this out. You've obviously not studied American history very closely. The majority of the "rights" we enjoy today and "ideals" we try to live by are not directly from the Constitution but from the interpretation of the Constitution and subsequent court decisions since it was written.

The "right of privacy" is derived from court decisions and does not appear in the Constitution. The many restrictions on the ability of law enforcement organizations to gather evidence against an accused party are also derived from court decisions. The power to tax specific items or activities, in large part, has derived from practice and not from the Constitution.

The office of President was originally considered to be more administrative than active, but that's not how history has unfolded. For example, the US Supreme Court ruled against President Andrew Jackson on an issue early in his administration. He dismissed the ruling, saying, "He (the court) has ruled, let him (the Chief Justice) enforce it (the ruling)." Abraham Lincoln suspended the right of habeas corpus for a time in certain areas of the Union during the Civil War, and there was absolutely no precedent in either statute or case law for the Emancipation Proclamation. Thomas Jefferson greatly exceeded both his explicit authority and his implied authority when he approved the Louisiana Purchase in 1803, and it very nearly derailed his re-election chances.

Where do we draw the line between what's good for the individual and what's good for the nation as a whole? If you read the preamble to the Constitution, you'll see that individual rights are present but subject to the health of the nation as a whole. If an airplane which shouldn't exist - couldn't possibly exist - suddenly appeared carrying people who could not possibly be who they claimed to be, what would you do?

You'd probably do pretty much what the authorities in Shayne's story have done. These people aren't being tortured, they're being investigated, and it's hard to learn the truth when the media and others all over the world are screaming at you in either anger or terror.

I do not take the position that the state is more important than the individual. That way leads to tyranny. I do, however, take the position that the individual is not always more important than the state, because that way leads to anarchy. There must be a balance between the two, and our elected leaders are elected (in part) in order to protect us from threats to our way of life and our well-being. This plane and its passengers are an unknown and potentially dangerous element, and until the leaders are assured that the danger is either manageable or non-existent, it is both good and right that these new people (who, I must point out, should not exist according to any viable scientific theory) are isolated for the protection of the people who elected those leaders.

In summary, I maintain that the way things are now is neither the way things have always been nor is it the way things will always be. I'm not completely happy with the way our society is today, but all I can do is all I can do. And one of the things I don't do is curse the darkness when I can light a candle.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard