Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#52396 05/22/08 05:27 PM
Sheila Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
party I'll be back later to comment! Wonderful, though!

~Sheila

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I've long since gotten out of the habit of checking for updates, but I'm glad I checked tonight. Carol, first of all, that's one of my favorite songs. laugh That said, this is a good solid part leading to what I hope will be putting that jerk away. My only quibble is that it was far too short.

“Rules only make sense if they are both kept and broken. Breaking the rule is one way of observing it.”
--Thomas Moore

"Keep an open mind, I always say. Drives sensible people mad, I know, but what did we ever get from sensible people? Not poetry or art or music, that's for sure."
--Charles de Lint, Someplace to Be Flying
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ahh, I bask in your posting schedule as usual. You spoil us with so many updates!

Happy Anniversary!! I hope you have a great weekend!!

Nothing earth-shattering to ponder, just some good plot stuff going on. There's nothing like the smell of a fresh investigation! And I'm glad Mayson/Lois/Clark are on some kind of civil terms. Mayson suddenly seems a lot more understanding than I give her credit. blush

Great part!
JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Happy anniversary!

Great chapter, nice and LONG thumbsup

I love that fact that the woman decided to keep the child instead of aborting him. It's not the child's fault in these cases.

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Another very good chapter!

I felt a little nervous when I read this:

"Please, come in." Clark held the door open and gestured inside.

Mayson hesitated for a second and then walked in and down the steps, taking in the apartment as she did so. "Where's Lois?"

Clark shut the door and followed her. "She's asleep."
Mayson is coming in when Lois is asleep? For once Clark is doing what he made sure he never did before: he is, for all intents and purposes, alone with Mayson!

"You've been cheating on her? With who?" Mayson sputtered.

He shook his head. "No. I haven't been cheating on her, but according to Paul and Dr. Snodgrass, there's a rumor that I have been."

"With who?"

He finally looked her straight in the eyes. "You."

Mayson gulped. "What?"
But it was very good that Clark told Mayson about the rumor. I'm glad that she was so surprised. Not that I had expected that she wouldn't be.

A scream interrupted whatever he was about to say.

He managed to keep himself to normal human speed as he bolted towards the other room.

Lois was sitting up, her eyes closed. The screams had stopped, but the sobs continued.

Clark reached out to touch her, but she flinched as his hand grazed her shoulder. "Lois, honey, wake up." He spoke softly to her for a few more minutes, until her eyes opened and she turned and buried herself in his chest. After several more long minutes she pulled back slightly. "Are you okay?"

She nodded. "Another nightmare."

"I figured. Listen, Mayson's here. She's been here for a little while and I told her most of what happened, abridged version of course."

"What did she say?"
It's also good that Mayson learnt about Lois's nightmares. And I'm very glad that Lois wasn't upset that Mayson was there. She trusts Clark now.

"My oldest sister was date raped about ten years ago and she still has flashbacks and stuff from time to time. I mean, usually, she's fine and she has a... good relationship with her husband and even a couple of kids, but every once in a while – maybe once a year or so – something still triggers her. I know what she's gone through and I wouldn't wish that on anyone."

"Thank you," Lois said quietly.
Mayson understands Lois's situation. Good.

"I'm not sure what I can do to help, but..." Mayson took a deep breath, "...if you need me to tell anyone that there wasn't anything going on between me and Clark, I will. I won't pretend that earlier didn't hurt – it did – but I'm willing to admit that, in some ways, it was probably called for and I won't let my hurt feelings stand in the way of trying to bring Professor Paul to justice. I'll do anything I can to help."

Lois glanced at Clark. He was watching her, willing to let her take the lead and back up whatever she decided. "Thank you, Mayson. I appreciate that, but other than telling the truth about your friendship with Clark when necessary, I don't know what you can do."

"Um... I don't know if this will mean much coming from me, but I do mean it. If you need to someone to talk to, you can call me."

"I appreciate the offer," Lois said quietly.
Good! Mayson is on her way to becoming a lawyer.

And I was glad that Jimmy was upset when he heard that Lois had thought that Clark was unfaithful to her, and I'm glad that he didn't blame Lois, but rather thought that Clark had behaved unwisely. But of course he knew that Clark most certainly had not been having an affair.

Clark has been so sure that he is never going to be with another woman that he didn't seriously consider the possibility that his many lunches with Mayson may look suspicious to Lois.

But you have to love Clark for being so completely committed to Lois.

"Well, I've got addresses on four of the six women on the list. I went to the alumni office on campus and said I was looking for former students and they gave me the information. The other two students haven't kept in contact with the university. Two of the four are married, one is divorced. One of the ones that's married has one child, the other one has two. The one who's never been married has a 5-year-old son and get this... she graduated six years ago."

Clark instantly paled. "Do you think...?"
eek

Cat looked at her gently. "What can you tell us about the last few weeks before you graduated?"

She took a deep breath and started her story. "In some ways it was the best thing that ever happened to me – it gave me my son..." she glanced at them. "Don't tell me you haven't done the math already."
eek

I can't resist commenting on what James said about this woman who chose to keep her child even though her son was the product of rape. I agree with James that her son is of course innocent, and I, too, respect the woman for not aborting her child.

Nevertheless, I respect those women who do have an abortion if they have become pregnant after being raped. Arnost, my colleague, says that "rape behaviour" is partly hereditary. Please! I'm not talking about predetermination here, only an increased risk of a certain behaviour.

To make you see what I mean, imagine a large group of boys whose fathers, grandfathers and great-grandfathers never committed rape. Imagine that ten of these boys will nevertheless grow up to become rapists themselves.

Now consider another, similarly large group of boys, who are all the product of rape. Imagine that fifteen of these boys will grow up to become rapists.

But what if not only the boys' fathers were rapists, but perhaps one set of grandfathers, too? For such a group of boys, we may have a situation where twenty-five of the boys become rapists later on.

And what if not only the fathers but both sets of grandfathers were rapists? And one set of great-grandfathers? Or two sets of great-grandfathers? Or three? Or four?

Arnost, my colleague, says that rapists on average have more children than other men, simply because they rape as well as have sex with consenting partners. Therefore, the number of people who carry rapists' genes grows faster than the number of people who are not at all a product of rape. If "rape-behaviour" is hereditary at all, then women who choose to keep their babies after being raped may increase the risk, ever so minutely, that other women may be raped in the future.

Anyway. I feel very sorry for the little boy whose mother was raped by Professor Paul in the story. I very much hope that Lois and Clark can shield the boy from nasty publicity. Imagine being a little child and growing up knowing that your father is a really bad man and you yourself are a product of a truly vile act. I wouldn't wish that on any child!

So while I respect the woman in this story for keeping her child, I respect her even more for loving her child. That is the best way to steer one's children down a good path and help them become good persons themselves, I'm sure.

And speaking about publicity... it is disgusting to think that Lois herself may find herself the victim not only of attempted rape, but of cruel publicity, too.

I'm eagerly looking forward to more of this engrossing story!

Ann

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Great stuff, Carol. I'm with Ann as far es being surprised that Clark invited Mayson in without a third person present. But on second thought, they have no doors, Lois is asleep in the next room, and he is in their home with Lois also expecting Mayson. I don't think this could lead to a situation were Lois could doubt Clark's fidelity. And if Mayson were to jump Clark, well Lois is sort of able to defend her *property* wink , now that she knows.

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Imagine being a little child and growing up knowing that your father is a really bad man and you yourself are a product of a truly vile act.
Well I belatedly noticed that James covered what I had to say in about a sentence, so I'll edit this long thing with about a sentence heh.

This thought bothers me because I see children as a gift in their own right always, and I'd never want any child of mine to think something like this if something terrible happened.

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
"It's really her story to tell but..." He took a deep breath. "Thursday night, Lois was almost raped."

Mayson's jaw dropped. "What?!"
There are so many things that went right with his conversation with Mayson. For one thing, it started off on the right foot by giving ownership of Lois' privacy back to Lois. On the other hand, Clark is deeply affected by this too, so he needs to have the freedom to talk things over with a few select people (like Jimmy).

Paul pointed out that everyone would believe that he was biased because of our friendship with him. And as for me... he said that no one would believe the..." he took a deep breath and refused to look at her, "...cheating husband."

"You've been cheating on her? With who?" Mayson sputtered.
Mayson appears much more innocent now that she did forty-five minutes ago. I certainly hope she is as innocent as she appears.

Since nobody has actually heard the rumor, I'm wondering if Paul invented the rumor on the spot just for Lois. While it was possible that Paul was spreading the rumor all along, it doesn't appear to be that strong of a rumor.

"I'm not going to tell you the whole story, Jimmy. I'm just not. It's between me and my wife. And if it ever needs to come out as part of all of this, it will, but I'm not going to tell it just to tell it. You of all people should know how even the suggestion of something like that would scar her."
One of the most important things I learned was how to respectfully keep my husband's privacy from my friends and keep my friend's privacy from my husband. There are just some times when you unabashedly keep silent.

"You know," Jimmy said thoughtfully, "I sort of saved Lucy from a guy the night of our first date."

"What?" Clark's exclamation came out louder than he meant for it to and the girls on the couch started a bit. "What?" he whispered.
I love how comfortably Clark has taken to the role of brother-in-law/foster father. He guides her; he protects her; he gives her freedom befitting a young adult. Still, it's fun to see his responses to the "danger" men play in her life.

"We've never..." His eyes were wide and his words earnest as he spoke. "Clark, I promised you a long time ago that I would treat her like I would want someone to treat my own daughter and I have, I swear to you, I have. I realized that if I have a daughter, I wouldn't ever want a guy to... you know. Ever. I mean, I would want her to grow up and get married and maybe then... but really I'd rather she adopt, you know?"
And it's a riot to see Jimmy backpedal when he realizes the precarious balance he has between Clark's friend and Lucy's future sexual partner. Perhaps he won't ever have sex with Lucy. There is always adoption, right?

I'm intrigued by the behind-the-scenes cleaning of house on-campus. At some point, the police allegations must have been shared with the higher-ups for them to have determined who to suspend. I'm also fascinated by the little cliffhanger you've left for us.

Elisabeth

Top Banana
Top Banana
Sorry, didn't comment for the past two posts... but am absolutely loving it. Lois' confrontation with Mayson was superb. She sure has been thinking a lot about .. you know... when she goes on about how Clark does this and does that goofy

And I'm so glad Mayson is on their side. Yeah, she was encroaching, and she deserved Lois' lashing after that letter-stunt, but as Clark said her heart is in the right place - sort of wink

I think Linda might have helped Paul in spreading the rumors.. or maybe no one except Paul and Snodgrass know about the so called rumor.

Interesting to see what the Univ. President's gong to do. Is he just cleaning house and saving face or he's a good character.... can't wait to find out!

And Lois and Clark are learning to trust and love each other .. yay!

thumbsup thumbsup clap

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Argh. I had the whole thing all typed out and somehow hit the X and shut it out. *sigh*

So I'm just going to say 'thank you' for now and may come back later and try to redo it all, but not right now - no time for it.

I forgot that it's a holiday weekend, so the next part will be up either late tonight or late tomorrow night. If that doesn't happen, it'll be Tuesday, but I hope before then.
Carol

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard