Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#52368 05/21/08 04:55 PM
ShayneT Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Thanks for all the comments! Tell me what you think!

#52369 05/21/08 05:08 PM
Blogger
Blogger
Awesome, as always!

#52370 05/21/08 05:33 PM
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
No time for comments tonight, but this is awesome. I love how careful Clark is being. Similarly I enjoyed Lois' idea that guarding her were for the poor fool who got on somebody's bad list. I also like how Clark makes nice with the Russians.

Elisabeth

#52371 05/21/08 06:50 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Like everyone else, I have so little time to comment. A few scattered thoughts - and please remember that I haven't had time to think things through thoroughly:

Would people still doubt Superman when they had seen him on TV? Sure, I believe that some would, but would there be such almost universal denial of his existence? I was mystified at Agent Randal's attitude, and I still think it is a bit weird that Russia and China would think that Superman was a missile. Don't the leaders of Russia and China know about Superman? Don't they know anything at all about what is on TV in the United STates? I think they do.

I liked Agent White's caution, however, and I found it very reasonable. I really liked the fact that he wouldn't underestimate Lois Lane! I don't like the fact that he locked Lois up, but given the circumstances, I could understand that, too.

I thought Dr. Ledderman was a certified cuckoo when he wanted to, seemingly, keep the rifts open so that he could study primitive biology on an alternative Earth!!! Gaaahhh!!! Somebody stop him, please?

I loved this:

“How close is the personality you've seen so far like that of Superman?” Agent White asked, staring at her for a long moment.

“He's not like the Chris Reeve version!” Lois said. “Well, not Reeve's Clark Kent anyway.”

At Agent White's stare, Lois flushed. “Pretty close.”
Yeahhh!!! I'm so relieved to hear that Lois knows that this Clark is not like Reeve's Clark Kent! But he is Superman.

And poor Lucy is still kept in the dark about everything, and it is up to Lois to decide what to tell her, and then break it to her! I feel so sorry for both sisters.

Strapped into her seat, Natasha grimaced as the Soyuz began to shake.
I wish... but I think that Russia (and the Soviet Union) hasn't had a female cosmonaut since the early sixties. The United States is so, so much better at offering people equal opportunities in space! thumbsup

As the ship shuddered around her, Natasha found herself muttering prayers that her grandmother had taught her. Religion was still frowned on in some circles, but at the moment she didn't care.
No ethnic Russian has to hide his or her religion these days, at least as long as he or she belongs to the nationalist Russian Orthodox Church. Belonging to this church is actually regarded as an act of patriotic loyalty.

[Linked Image]

The Kremlin, a magnificent church.

Nickolai scowled as he gestured with his rifle toward the last of the civilians. The evacuation of Red Square had taken longer than he would have liked. In the old days before Glasnost things would have gone much more quickly. There wouldn't be Russian camera crews waiting just outside the perimeter like vultures waiting for a corpse to fall.
My impression is that Moscow of today is far from what it was in the old days of Communism. Just yesterday, for example, the UEFA Champions League final, a very important match here in soccer-crazy Europe, was played in Moscow, even though both teams in the final were from Great Britain! Two days ago Swedish television reported from Moscow and showed us happy and laughing British football fans and happy and proud Russians, both young and old. You really got the impression that Russia was hosting a lovely international party! That's why I think that relatively few people in Moscow are longing for the old days of Communism, isolation and fear-mongering.

[Linked Image]

But it is so great that Clark is rescuing that Russian spacecraft with two Russians and one American on board! It will be so hard to dismiss Superman as a fantasy, or to describe him as a horrible threat, after such a magnificent rescue!

Ann

#52372 05/21/08 06:56 PM
F
Kerth
Kerth
F

Framework4
#52373 05/21/08 07:31 PM
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Originally posted by Framework4:
Whatever this is, it isn’t of our doing.”

The radio crackled, and a moment later communications were restored.
I drove my wife crazy laughing so hard at my mental image of the folks in the Space ship being told Superman was holding their ship aloft.
Two Mikoyan Mig-29 fighter planes bracketed it. As it approached, Nikolai could suddenly see why they were so certain the ship was going to land here.

It was being carried.
Oh so much fun. I have this picture of Jim talking with a psychologist, he's explaining that "I've totally lost it. I'm seeing things. I saw Superman!" Figure a few days wait for an appointment and Jim is likely just explaining it when the news hits.
“This is all a hoax,” Agent Randal said. “And I’m not the only one who knows it either.”....“Nobody else believes it either,” he said. “When they come to their senses I’ll be right here waiting.”
Yeah, oh yeah, Agent Randal has it coming. smile wildguy

Originally posted by TOC:
[b] My impression is that Moscow of today is far from what it was in the old days of Communism.
I beg to differ
a pdf report about the banning of Jehovah\'s Witnesses in Moscow [/b]
I am so looking forward to Lois's talk with Lucy. While Teri Hatcher was born in 1964, Lois Lane in L&C canon was born in 1967. Thus in the first season, 1993, she is 26. So if this Lois Lane is 26 she was born in 1982. So

"Lucy, there some things you need to know that may be hard to understand. I'm Lois Lane, but I'm not your sister. The year is 2008, I was born in 1982. In this world my parent and my sister Lucy were all killed in an MVA in 2003, five years ago."

Framework4
#52374 05/21/08 07:34 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
As soon as he saw where Lois was going, he was going to step up his activities.
I hope this all goes well, or Clark is never going to want to try being Superman again, even if he makes it home where it is still a more innocent time, and no one has heard of Superman before.

if he's seen continuously on broadcasts from all over the world, it's going to be harder to dismiss him as a hoax. Still, given how jaded people are by special effects and how skeptical many people are of what they see on TV, he might have to appear in person in front of enough people to get word of mouth, the way he did at the pier in Santa Barbara (I assume that's where it was). Flying low over some major cities might help. wave

If he keeps up with rescues and humanitarian work, he will have many grateful people on his side. He should probably avoid crime-fighting, unless it's to save someone's life or something similarly unambiguous.

And he needs to be interviewed at some point, so everyone can see what kind of person he is. No one's going to relax until they know that he has Superman's ethics, not just his powers.

And I'm looking forward to more people calling him "Superman," rather than just "the flying man in the Superman costume." wink I think Clark could use the boost in self-confidence of knowing that people see him living up to that role.

#52375 05/21/08 08:13 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
New chapter, new chapter! smile1

#52376 05/21/08 08:22 PM
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Originally posted by Cornelia:
What does POTUS mean? I mean, I have a fleeting suspicion it has something to do with your President, but, sorry, I´m German and I don´t know these shortenings.... confused
Correct
President of the United States

Framework4
#52377 05/21/08 08:23 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Thank you, Framework4! smile

#52378 05/21/08 11:23 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Patrick, I'm not trying to say that Russia is like a great democracy or something. I don't think they have any true freedom of religion there, for example. The persecution of Jehova's Witnesses does not surprise me in the slightest. My point was that the Soviet Union was an officially atheist nation, where churches were closed down by authorities and turned into museums, club houses etcetera. Russia of today is not atheist at all, but rather quite pro-religious. However, the only religion that is really approved of is the Russian Orthodox Church. But Natasha the cosmonaut would certainly not get into any sort of trouble with Russain authorities for showing her (presumably Russian Orthodox) faith by praying.

Ann

#52379 05/22/08 12:30 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
From Veritas

“Of course, this would irrevocably alter the course of the development of life on that other world,” Dr. Ledderman said. “A whole host of bacteria and viruses would have inevitable been draw to the other side and while most of them will probably die off, some won’t.”
I hadn't even thought of that! This could lead to a world without shrimp!

The touch down in Red Square is a nice touch. Just hope the soldiers don't do anything stupid.

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
#52380 05/22/08 03:56 AM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Ann wrote:

But Natasha the cosmonaut would certainly not get into any sort of trouble with Russain authorities for showing her (presumably Russian Orthodox) faith by praying.
Natasha mused that religious beliefs were frowned upon "in some circles." She never thought about being in trouble with her superiors over those beliefs, just that "some" people still weren't very sympathetic to them. If people live with a certain mandated mindset for seventy years, it's hard to change on a moment's (or even a decade's) notice. Officially, Russian is an open society where religion is concerned, but in practice that's not always the case. Certain people in government still go after certain religious groups simply because they're certain religious groups. Other people in government don't persecute those same religious groups.

Aside from that, this chapter is just marvelous. Clark figures that if Lois is safe, he can come back and pick her up later, and in the meantime he can go play superhero. The Soyuz rescue is guaranteed to get international attention and push his existence into everyone's face. Shayne, I really like the way you drop in supporting characters like Nikolai and the Burmese sergeant in the previous chapter and make them real to the reader despite their brief "screen time." And the little details like Agent White referring to POTUS and Dr. Ledderman putting on his scientific blinders despite (or maybe because of) his lack of sleep makes your characters come alive.

I don't think this world's leaders will accept a Superman who can override their decisions on international politics. I know, that wouldn't be Clark's mission, but that's how he'd be perceived by world leaders. For that matter, I don't know how Lois is going to convince Lucy of the truth, especially with everyone's favorite agent Randal just outside the door.

I don't recall anyone commenting on the title of this tale. "Veritas" is Latin for "truth," and it certainly seems that the truth is being presented to people who don't want to believe it. Will Lucy believe Lois? Will Randal believe in Superman? Will Lois believe in love? Will Clark believe in himself? Is the truth really out there?

Where's the next chapter?

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#52381 05/22/08 10:11 AM
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Shayne, I know I've been sort of non-existing in your FDK-threads, lately, but with RL and stuff. So let me just say, I really enjoy Veritas. You always have such distinct twists to your story. A spark that makes them far more different than your usual LnC-fanfic.

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
#52382 05/22/08 06:01 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yay! Another chapter!

Her position at CNN was assured if she still wanted it and a vindictive part of her wanted to make Pilar eat crow.
Yeah, even the best of us have those little moments. But I think Lois is going to end up taking the high road, right, Shayne?

And don't forget - Clark said that Lois Lane had the full interview. Are we ever going to get to see it? Will it be played before Clark leaves for his world? (I'm assuming that his efforts in becoming Superman and reassuring the world are successful.) That's an interview I'd really like to see.

It irritated Lois that with everything Clark had already done, most news outlets were ready to relegate him to the position of being a publicity stunt and being an amusing anecdote. They didn’t seem to make the connection between the serious news stories they were telling and the man in the Superman costume.
But even now, who would believe in Superman? After all, he's fictional! I mean, some things are just too crazy, right?

“If we could ever figure out a way to control these rifts, we could advance all branches of science in ways that no one ever could have imagined.” Dr. Ledderman looked excited. “Want to learn about the beginnings of life? Watch it happening.”

“We’re trying to shut this down, Doctor,” Agent White said, “Not turn it into your own personal science project.”

“You don’t understand the potential benefits…”
You know, I have a sneaking sympathy for Dr. Ledderman. He's right about the implications. It's just so darn fascinating....and an opportunity like this comes around once in a lifetime, if that. Researchers would kill for this opportunity.

Unfortunately, what if it means the destruction of all life in our universe, and maybe in some other universes?

You know, when the Los Alamos guys were building the atomic bomb they calculated that there might be a slight chance that the bomb could set off a chain reaction in the atmosphere and destroy everything. But they still went ahead with the A-test, because, after all, you know, they had the bomb there to use, and they'd put a lot of money and a lot of work into it, and you know, there was only a little teensy weensy infinitesimal chance that using it would mean the destruction of all life on earth. So that was OK. (<sarcasm here>)

But, just as with the A-bomb, the genie is out of the bottle, and there's going to be investigation into this dimensional rift stuff - there just has to be. So maybe our best bet is to get Clark on board, and he can make his unique contributions to the project. Because, now that people know it can be done, it will be done. That's just how it works.

Agent White was already looking distracted. He was awkwardly text messaging on his telephone and she wondered what it was he was saying that he didn’t want them to know.
Why do I think of Agent White as some middle-aged government functionary who can use a cell phone but texting is past his comfort level? Good description here, Shayne - once again you've illuminated a character with a very few words.

“Your friend is effectively a weapon of mass destruction. The limits of his powers are unknown. He dresses up like Superman, but we have no reason to believe that the traditional abilities are the only ones he has. “
The dark side of Superman. Right now, the Superman that's actually out there isn't the good guy from the comic books. Well, maybe he is a good guy (we know he is!), but he's a free agent, with his own will, his own agenda, his own thoughts, his own actions. I can totally understand the Secret Service paranoia. They've probably read the comic books too, and a regular staple is Superman turning bad for some reason (hypnosis, magic, alternate worlds, brainwashing, etc, etc., etc.) And who can stop Superman?

Lois was silent for a long moment. “So you are expecting him to rescue me?”

“You’re Lois Lane. If he’s read any of the comic books, he’s going to think he has to make a career out of rescuing you.”
Hee hee hee! This is great!

How did you tell someone that even though you acted and looked exactly like the sister they had lost, that sister was dead and gone, and that worse, you weren’t even in your own world or time anymore?
Yes, I think that would be a hard conversation to have. Frankly, if someone started talking parallel worlds to me, I'd hold onto my wallet. It would take some pretty convincing evidence for me to buy that story.

Shayne, is the Lois in Clark's world really dead in the Congo? Will that be addressed when Clark gets back to Metropolis? And how will Lucy take this information? And how much will Lois tell her about Clark, aka Superman? In the traditional L&C universe, Lucy doesn't know about the secret identity.

“She’s supposed to be in quarantine!” Lois said.

Agent Randal grinned maliciously. “Nobody told me to wear a safety suit.”

“It’s not just for her protection, you twit,” Lois said. “It’s for yours. Her world may have viruses that ours doesn’t.”
You know, I think that smallpox was eradicated in the 1980's, so hopefully both the worlds in this story are smallpox-free. Because, if Clark's world still has smallpox, and it gets into ours, and nobody is vaccinated anymore, we can expect an 80% mortality rate.

Otherwise, I think Clark's world is more at risk from ours - from 1993 to 2008, think of how much more habitat in our world has been destroyed, how many more obscure animal diseases have been exposed and brought to the human cities, how much more population pressure there has been in the last 15 years. AIDS, Ebola virus, dengue fever, cholera making a comeback in South America, multi-drug-resistant tuberculosis - all in our world, and not a pretty sight. I think we have more germs to give to them than the other way around. It's probably a good idea that all those people on the plane have been in strict quarantine.

As a cosmonaut, she knew the details of just how many things could fail, and the thought that her life could lay in the hands of a worker hung over from a weekend of drinking too much vodka wasn’t comforting. Sometimes all it took was one defective part out of a million parts to destroy everything.
Unfortunately, all too true. The Apollo astronauts used to tell each other, "Hey, you're sitting in a spaceship that was built by the lowest bidder." Not too reassuring.

In fact, wasn't there just a press release from NASA that they were having some sort of probe land on Mars, and they're really hoping it goes well? Because they haven't had a lot of luck with their probes there. They've launched something like eight missions to Mars, and only two or three have made it and actually radioed back.

The sudden jerk as they hit the thicker parts of the atmosphere almost made her black out. She felt her neck snap back slightly and the pressure on her body felt as though she was being crushed.
That was Clark catching them, right? More of the comic book physics, please! Is his aura protecting the Soyuz now? It is certain (to quote the Magic 8-Ball)!

The familiar shape of the Soyuz was coming quickly over the horizon, but it didn’t look like it was going to crash at all. It looked like it was flying.

Two Mikoyan Mig-29 fighter planes bracketed it. As it approached, Nikolai could suddenly see why they were so certain the ship was going to land here.

It was being carried.
Another great scene! How are the politicians going to spin this? How can they deny the presence of a Soyuz capsule right there in Red Square, with live cosmonauts? Clark is certainly upping the pressure.

In a way he agreed with her. One of his greatest nightmares had been that the world would reject him, universally fearing him for what he could do. He’d heard Agent White’s comment about him being a weapon of mass destruction.

He’d also heard the jokes that news anchors were making.

The only way to overcome both effects was to prove to the world that first he was real, and second that he was not dangerous.

That meant being even more active than he had been before. Instead of pulling back he was going to have to step up his activities. In the light of day, he was going to force people to believe in him.
And that's the great part of this story! (Well, one of the many great parts.)

And I'm still thinking about a line from a previous post.

"Why the Superman suit?" the reporter asked.

"People know what it means," replied Clark.
Shayne, that's very profound. Clark is coming out of the pages of fiction into reality, and the Suit will pave the way. He's going to live up to what the Suit symbolizes. I'm really looking forward to seeing what he, and everyone else, will do next.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard