Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Beth S. Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
What? They're back together? NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

But despite that unfortunate turn, it does seem as if Lois and Clark are starting to realize their attraction for each other.

I liked the mirrored "clobbering" lines.

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Ah gaaah. No. Lois + Lex and Clark + Rebecca again???

At least Lois and Clark have realized that they try to match up with Lex and Rebecca because they think they can't have the one they really want, namely each other. They are just being so noble. I found the dual roles of Lana interesting here - Lois remembered her promise to the dying Lana, whose death she still thinks of as her fault, and she can't let Lana down once again by getting together with the man that used to be Lana's husband.

If Clark only knew how much she'd wanted to say the words he'd thought she was going to say. But it wasn't in the cards for her to love him in that way. She could work with him, help cheer him when he was down, play the superhero beside him in public, but she refused to betray Lana's memory, or the promise she'd made to a dying woman to guard Superman's heart.
But Clark could "hear" Lana tell him that he should open his heart, presumably to Lois, not that he should guard his heart.

But this time the words he imagined her saying weren't the ones he usually imagined. He didn't imagine that she'd tell him to take his time and relax. He didn't imagine that she'd tell him to guard his heart, advice his father had given him a number of times.

This time he imagined her saying, “Live your life, Clark. Open your heart.”
Like Beth, I loved how Lois and Clark promised themselves that they would clobber Rebecca or Lex if Rebecca made Clark unhappy, or if Lex made Lois unhappy.

There is something about this Lois and Clark that is so innocent and naïve. They are charming that way, and their naïveté is part of their innate goodness and unfeigned honesty. But it also makes it harder for them to generally guard their secret identities (it's strange, when you think of it, that their identities haven't been blown already). This part was both endearing and a little annoying:

She didn't respond. “Lois?” Still no answer. “Okay, Ultra Woman?”

“Ultra Woman does not casually converse with the commoners around her. You must make an appointment with my social secretary, probably for some time next month, assuming you are important enough to be spoken to.”

Stunned, Clark fell behind her as she sped up, but then he heard her laughter trailing back behind her. He sped up to catch her but she did a barrel roll away from him. He followed that maneuver and the next and the next as they danced their aerial ballet over the city.

One of the local UHF stations happened to have a helicopter in the area. The camera operator laughed as she tracked the heroes at play.
Lois and Clark deny their love for one another in their civilian identities, but when they put on their super suits they show their love to all the world, courtesy of a helicopter and a TV camera. Perhaps they didn't realize what their aerial capers would look like to the world, or perhaps they didn't think that anyone would see them.

Lois and Clark look out for the wrong thing. Instead of fighting their love for one another as Lois and Clark, they might concentrate on putting a bit more distance between themselves as Ultra Woman and Superman.

It would be a good idea, too, if they were able to act as if their civilian identities didn't know their superhero indentities:

I also wonder about her relationship with Superman. Of course, none of those news people acted scared of him, just extremely respectful, but Lois was the only one who talked to him like she knew him personally. She was also the only one who was willing to challenge him on that “get tough with the bad guys” question. One of the local TV talking heads standing next to her looked like he almost fainted when Lois asked why Superman didn't just drop those guys into the middle of the Pacific Ocean, but she didn't flinch a bit, even when he stared at her like he did, like he was almost insulted.
How long will they be able to keep their super identities a secret if they act this way? (And I really don't like this bloodthirsty aspect of Lois.)

Clark grinned. “Hey, I like this. It isn't often you go to a party and have buffalo wings beside the caviar. Besides, alcohol doesn't affect you anymore.”

“That's true, on both counts.” She put her glass down on the nearest utility table. “I'm a little surprised that Cat isn't here, given the high density of politicians and other celebrities.”
Every time you bring up Cat, I get nervous. The approach to Cat is part of the naïveté of the good guys, the inability to see danger where it really is.

And Perry sent Lois and Clark to Lex's party so that they could relax!!! What was he thinking? Sometimes I do think that Perry really did become editor of the Daily Planet because he can yodel. He really acted rather stupid in several of the episodes.

Maybe that is one of the lessons of the Superman mythos. You don't have to be smart, and you certainly don't have to be cynical. You should be honestly good instead. You should be optimistic and believe in the goodness of others, too. Superman thinks with his heart, not with his head, and he eventually triumphs not because he is so smart and cynical, but because he optimistically keeps believing in the power of good until good eventually triumphs.

Ann

T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Well, this took an unfortunate turn.

Can't say I'm too happy about Lois and Clark's about face with Lex and Rebecca, but I have confidence that Terry will retify the problem soon. After all, there aren't that many instalments left.

I just figure that Lex and Rebecca will just have to meet sudden, tragic ends which will just propel the super couple back into each other's arms.

Lex will be revealed as the criminal 'Boss' and Ultra Woman will be forced to take him down. The reason for his being exposed will be the horrible death that Rebecca suffers at Lex's hand. All wrapped up nice and neat and everyone (still alive) will live happily ever after... or something like that.

Tank (who does consider the possibility that Terry might want to throw us all a curve and let Lois and Clark live out their lives... with other partners)

E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
Call me unpopular, but I'm glad that Clark and Rebecca and likewise Lex and Lois reconciled. That means they can think about where they want their relationships to go, instead of just allowing their emotions to get the best of them. Wouldn't it be nice if Lois and Clark got together because they thought they belonged together instead of because things didn't work out with their first choices?

The only part that I didn't enjoy was the idea that they didn't relax or smile unless they were with Rebecca or Lex. It seemed a little incongruent with the Clark and the Lois I know. While I realize that this is decided an elseworld, therefore the characters aren't exactly the way we remember them, the Lois I know can't help but enjoy herself around Clark. It goes against all her rules, but somehow he gets past her walls and vice sersa.

Elisabeth

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard