OP Offline
Features Writer
Well, what do you think?

#51653 04/29/08 05:30 PM
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Have I ever mentioned that I loathe Lana? She's... words that aren't appropriate for this part of the boards.

Wonderful as always, Shayne. Poor pigeon frown .

Poor Clark wondering if Lois was repulsed by his alien nature.

As a big fan of "Deadliest Catch" [was on tonight wink ], crabbing would be a great job for Clark. Season is only a few weeks long, you have to be strong and sure footed and willing to work for days on end [I think tonight's long stretch was 47 hours?].

Great post Shayne! Now, can Lana get caught like that pigeon was?

Carol

#51654 04/29/08 05:57 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Another great chapter, Shayne.

I've often wondered how I would react if I found proof that something impossible was true. I hope that I would believe in it if I had proof. Proof is proof. For a long time people believed that the Earth was flat, but then they found better proof that the Earth is round. I hope I would believe in the better evidence, even if it seemed to prove that something "impossible" was true. I don't like inconsistencies, though. So if the Earth is round, then there shouldn't be an edge, an abyss, where the Earth just ends. If I believed that the Earth was flat, and someone showed me proof the the Earth is round - you know, the Earth casts a round shadow on the moon so that it becomes gibbous or looks like a crescent, and tall masts appear on the horizon before the ships that they are "attached to" manage to "climb over" the horizon - and yet someone else showed me that the Earth really has an edge? Then I wouldn't believe the round Earth theory after all. Not if I had seen the edge.

Ah, but Lois hasn't seen the edge. She believed in the equivalent of the flat Earth, and now she has seen proof that it is round. And she hasn't seen an edge. There isn't one, and the Earth is round, and Clark Kent is from another universe, and he can fly. Lois, someone has taught you about the laws of physics, but you have just seen proof that the laws of physics, as they have been described to you, are incompletely understood.

I loved how Lois and Clark connected when they flew - how she liked to be in his arms, how she enjoyed flying, how she noticed how nice he smelled, and how he trusted her and loved to fly with her and share himself with her.

I love how Clark took them to France, so that he could investigate the source of the time storms. I hope he finds the reason for them, and I hope he can close all those open gateways, and I hope he can bring himself and all the passengers from the airplane back to their own reality. And I so hope, of course, that he can bring Lois along.

Ann

#51655 04/29/08 07:44 PM
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Loved it.

Framework4
#51656 04/30/08 07:22 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Wowowowow Shane! I'm loving this story and eagerly looking forward to new installments!!!

#51657 04/30/08 08:19 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I love this chapter! grumble

All of that assumed she’d even be interested. It had taken Lana a while to get over her natural revulsion over his inhuman nature. She hadn’t said anything, but it had been there in her eyes. Even now she didn’t particularly enjoy being touched, especially in public, unless she was establishing her territory in the presence of another woman.
He’d gotten the feeling that there had been times when he made her flesh crawl. She hadn’t said it, and maybe he was simply projecting his own insecurities, but the feeling was there.
That feeling wasn’t there for Lois, although whether it was because she simply hadn’t considered the implications of his being an alien, or whether she was simply special he didn’t know.
Did I ever mention I hate Lana?
And he is underestimating Lois very much in this. I hope she will show him the difference between her and that *peep* *peep* *peep* Lana!

All he knew was that she was one of the two people he’d met in this reality who he trusted even a little, and the other one was a homeless schizophrenic.
That´s exactly two people more than in your own universe, Clark! Maybe things are not as hopeless as they look?

“I think the other half of this pigeon is back in its original universe. I think it was coming through when it closed.”
Ooohh, scary! eek I just imagined what would happen to a human... How can he bring all the people from the plane through something like that? The first time with the plane must have been very lucky!

What will happen now? Where is the trigger for all this? Will Clark and Lois be able to bring the people back? What about the agents and the government behind them? At some point Clark will have to talk to them, via media (Lois´ camera?) or directly face to face. Take that, Agent Randal! And Pilar! And all these idiots! wildguy

#51658 04/30/08 09:06 AM
Kerth
Kerth
OK, he's spotted how the portals work - but how will he get home? And will Lois want to come?

Lovely revelation!

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#51659 04/30/08 04:08 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Excellent! I find myself logging in every day to see if there is a new chapter. Shayne, your fics are consistently high quality and tops on my priority list.

He was too powerful...
This is so true. I've often wondered what the people in Metropolis (in the L&C universe) and in the world felt when Superman first arrived. The military and the contingency planners must have had kittens. There he is, this strange visitor from another planet - and first of all, who would expect that? Then, this alien has apparent superhuman powers - whoa!

If you're the military guy, you're charged with threat assessment. This alien has showed tremendous power, but you know nothing about him - what are his motivations, what are the extent of his powers, what can you do to stop him if he's a bad guy? So far he appears to be benign, but what if he doesn't stay that way? You have no data. He's literally outside the parameters.

The way you've - sadly, accurately - described our world is very real. Like you, or like Clark, I don't think the governments of our world would be as accepting of a proto-Superman as the L&C world is. He would have to be controlled.

Maybe Clark (in the original L&C universe, not in this alternate world that the Clark in your story comes from) had a big positive PR push behind him when he became Superman. Maybe that's why the L&C world was so accepting of this alien, why Superman there enjoys the trust of millions.

And then, of course, I wonder - was that positive PR push all due to Lois Lane and the Daily Planet?

Anyway, keep up the great story. You've really got me wondering what will happen next! In fact, here are some questions I've got nagging in the back of my mind:
  • Will Lois remain a fugitive?
  • Will she be a contact between Clark and the government agencies? If she is, will she call in Agent White? (I liked him before. Obviously, Agent Randal is right out.)
  • Will the government accept the concept of a fictional character actually being real?
  • What about the people on the plane who have alternates in Lois' world? Will they get to meet their doppelgangers?
  • And will Clark make himself known to the people on the plane? I'm certain he will find some way to get them back home, in the universe where they belong. But, if he presents himself as Superman, what about the people in our world that are interacting with the people from the airplane? All it would take would be one or two comments from the military guards, about Superman and his secret identity (which of course, everyone in our world knows is Clark Kent), and there goes Clark's anonymity for his world!
  • Will they need some sort of mad scientists (I love that term) to figure out the dimensional rifts, and how to close them? If so, will this be a technique that will allow transdimensional travel in later times? Or is it a one-time thing?
  • Is the transdimensional rift a sign of universes leaking and bleeding into each other, slowly foretelling the destruction of multiverses unless Clark and Lois can stop it?
  • If Lois does get in touch with her government contacts, and lets Clark be identified as Superman (hey, why not use the 70 years of backstory to help themselves), what will the government people say? This could be potentially hilarious. Or it could be really frightening, or poignant. I can't wait to see how (or if) you play it.
  • I'd love to see Clark meet with the President. How would the Secret Service react?
  • Will Clark put on the Suit? (Again, why not use the branding and backstory of seventy years of comic books, TV, and movies to aid himself?) Might as well put on the Suit and then everyone knows what to expect from Clark. The Suit has a superpower all its own, you know - it tells us what to expect.
  • I really hope you're building up to having Lois move back to Clark's universe. Obviously, there's nothing for her here in our world - parents and sister dead, government chill is affecting her sources and making it impossible to do her job, etc. And of course Clark is with that totally unsuitable Lana.

The thorough description and pacing is excellent - you didn't rush the Lois/Clark reveal, you built up incidents and allowed Lois to slowly gain trust and come to accept the idea of a proto-Superman, for example. You're taking enough time to tell the story properly. I can only wish for longer posts and more chapters! I would happily see this fic go on for fifty chapters or more, if all the chapters will continue to be of the same high quality as those you've posted so far.

So, please - more, more, more!

#51660 04/30/08 04:58 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
smile1

Wow! The portal closing suddenly is scary...

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
#51661 04/30/08 05:38 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Loved the lines about Alaska and him being tired of hiding.

Nasty ending. I liked it.

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
#51662 05/01/08 01:02 PM
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
I love the rich humor you have sprinkled throughout this. I won't be boorish and quote everything, but this is one of my favorite parts.
Lois had always considered herself a pragmatist. Aliens weren’t abducting rednecks in cornfields no matter what the National Enquirer said. Simple herbs and spices from the kitchen cabinet couldn’t cure all diseases.

If life existed on other planets, it was so far away that man would never know about it. The psychic friend’s network was a scam designed to take money from the desperate or foolish. John Edward couldn’t speak to the dead and Ralf Nader was never going to win an election.
She gives him such a simple interview and he answers her frankly and openly. At least for the moment, he trusts her implicitly even as she trusts him with her life.

The thought of Clark working on Alaskan crab boat is perfect. It would provide enough money for him to pay his way through school. He wouldn't have the worries that the other men have, knowing that the cold doesn't affect him and he can work for long hours with little fatigue.

“I’m my own person, not some sort of cartoon.”
Somehow I think he'll have to repeat this statement over and again in this world.

The ending, of course, was truly yucky. Boys are gross. They write gross and yucky things.

Elisabeth

#51663 05/01/08 03:49 PM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
IolantheAlias wrote:

Might as well put on the Suit and then everyone knows what to expect from Clark. The Suit has a superpower all its own, you know - it tells us what to expect.
You know, I've never considered the Suit in those terms, but that's exactly right. Why not? He'll have to be convinced, of course, and I doubt it would work in Lois's world, but I think it probably would in Clark's world. So that's another reason to root for Lois going back with Clark when he (hopefully!) returns home with the plane and the passengers.

These "doorways" or "windows" or "wormholes" or whatever they are seem to be an ongoing event. We really don't have enough information to know if they're some natural phenomena or they're being produced by some advanced technology, but Clark's right that they have a better chance of learning more in France, where the effect seemed to start.

I wonder, though, if they'll be asked for their passports while there. It's possible that Agent Randal has notified Interpol about this dangerous duo. If so, will Clark be forced to reveal his abilities in public?

Great story, Shayne, even if you do gross out a few people. You've lent the story a need for speed now, since there's no way to know how long the passages will be open. That unfortunate pigeon tells us a great deal, that the effect has a definite boundary and that living tissue is no impediment. We also know now that there's a tremendous amount of energy at work, since the pigeon's wound was essentially cauterized.

Really want to read the next post!

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#51664 05/02/08 05:43 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Another great part!

Lois's reaction was very interesting. Of all the ways she could have dealt with Clark's revelation, I think calm acceptance is the one I was not expecting, though it makes sense in retrospect. Certainly not anger: she barely knows Clark and couldn't resent him not telling her. I was expecting a little more shock, but I guess Lois is a pragmatist. I would be in shock.
thud
It seems like she's known it for some time already, maybe subconsciously, and just not been able to believe it.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard