Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#51582 04/24/08 12:12 PM
Rona V. Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Excellent as always, Carol. It's heartbreaking to see Lois and Clark struggling. Maybe these tough times will help bring them closer together? I sure hope so!

Oy vey with the name changing. I'm trying not to think about how much of a headache that's going to be when I get married. I like that Lois chose to go through with the hyphenation, though. She gets to keep a little of herself while still acknowledging Clark's role in her life.

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
It was easy when I did it, IIRC. Filled out a form with the Social Security Admin and got a new driver's license - used the marriage license as proof I'd gotten married so no other paperwork was needed. But that'd be too easy for here wink .

Carol

Columnist
Columnist
Carol, this was excellent. I have to say that as the stereotypical poor student, all that budget talk was a bit of an unpleasant reminder. frown

And it did make me sad to see Lois and Clark drifting apart a little here. However, I know you'll bring them back together so I'll be looking forward for that to come.

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
LIke Beth said, it was sad seeing Lois and Clark drifting apart a little here. Well, no wonder, since financial difficulties can put a terrific strain on a relationship. And imagine Lois having to be a seventeen-year-old "mom" to Lucy, too.

I found the budget plan and budget discussions very interesting.

Ann

E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
(Sigh.) It’s difficult to watch Clark as he wrestles with the life he’s chosen for himself. A man needs support as he walks through difficult times. While Lois is there in some ways, it sounds as if her idle conversation lets him know that she isn’t planning on “‘till death do us part.” Those who plan for their marriages to fail often find that they do more frequently than those who plan on a lifetime together. How sad to watch him go to bed without her, taking his hurting heart along with him.

Thanks for including Lucy. While she is given a mention here and there, it felt right to have her center stage, if only for a few moments.

It was difficult to watch Lois and Clark as they drifted apart. Sometimes it’s too real. Everybody who has been married for more than a few years knows what it’s like to go through those distant seasons, but that doesn’t mean it’s fun.

Here’s hoping that their difficulties with finances will actually bring them closer together.

Somehow I don’t think so. They’re going to have to do this the hard way. They have to talk things out, not to mention that Lois has to stop the self-doubt. (I know, it’s impossible. She would have to entirely change inside.)

Thanks for writing, even though you are taking us down a lonely road.

Elisabeth

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Thanks again guys. smile

Did I mention anywhere yet just how horrid this weekend was without boards?!??! wink

But we're back!

Beth - starving college student... I remember those days so well. I don't miss that part of them at all. I do miss some parts, but not those. I remember the days I worked as a waitress. My paycheck [per month] was about $300 and my rent was $315. If tips were ever bad... *shudder* Of course, I was smart enough that I didn't have credit card payments at that point and my electric bill one February was literally $14. Of course, I froze my tushie off and I didn't have Clark [or DH at that point] to keep me warm.

Ann - yes quite the strain. And I do put my toys back where they belong - but sometimes the dog gets to them first and uses them as his own personal chew toy making them slightly worse for the wear... [remember that if I ever get the sequel to this finished - well I have to finish this first, but you know... and no there's no Lois deathfic overtones or anything smile ]

Elisabeth - this was one of the parts that shocked me as I wrote it. It was the first inkling I had that Lois had deeper issues than just her parents leaving on her birthday [more than we saw in the show anyway]. Lucy is in a bit more starting with this next segment. I'd started "Learning to Love: Lucy's Story" with the idea that it would be one, MAYBE two, parts and cover her story through part 10 or so, though I wouldn't post it until later [about part 16?] because it spoils some other stuff. The muse had other ideas and it's way beyond two posts already and will probably be posted after LtL is over [though probably quickly and in large chunks, because Lois and Clark are minor players at best - especially Lois because she's working a lot in the evenings leaving Lucy and Clark at home to study]. Anyway - Lucy isn't forgotten and will actually play a larger role in this next section and in some after that too. Thank you for the PM too smile . I sent you an email last night because I couldn't get the boards to work.

Am going to post part 10 *and* a couple of Martha's letters in a few minutes. Had planned on posting them yesterday when the boards came up but apparently I was about 15 hours behind the curve...

Thanks again!
Carol

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard