ShayneT Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Well, what do you think?

#51571 04/23/08 05:46 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I will come back for a longer review in the evening, but first I have to do this:

“I was telling you the truth when I said I wasn’t Superman,” He said. “It just wasn’t the whole truth.”
He pulled her toward her, and before she could scream they were both airborne.
YES! party

#51572 04/23/08 05:53 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Yes!!! I haven't got time to comment, but... YES!!! He told her! (Or rather, he is about to show her!) thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup clap

Ann

#51573 04/24/08 12:09 PM
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
I barely have gotten started on this and now I have to run out the door, but I did want to comment on one thing.
“He should be able to tap into the NEXRAD system. It’s a network of one hundred fifty eight high resolution Doppler weather radars…if anybody has weather records, he should have access to them.”
My Daddy installed a large portion of this system around the early 90s. His area was the Midwest. When he finished there he transferred to the southwest Pacific coast and installed the systems there. I'm mucho proud of him.

Elisabeth
who is aware that this isn't exactly feedback, but I'm not exactly done reading either

#51574 04/24/08 12:17 PM
Kerth
Kerth
Finally! Yes!!!

Lois is going to be VERY annoyed with Clark...

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#51575 04/24/08 01:20 PM
Columnist
Columnist
Yay! I'm super excited to see how Lois is going to respond to this.

#51576 04/24/08 06:03 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I wasn´t able to get access to the boards yesterday evening (I thought they were down one day early), but this morning, voila, they are back! So I can keep my promise for a longer review!

Something was falling, and at first it looked like hailstones. The camera followed one stone down until it landed on the ground. It was a tiny yellow frog which was soon surrounded by hundreds of other frogs, all of which scrambled over each other to avoid being hit by their fellows.
“This sort of thing happens all the time, “Myron said. “It happened in Serbia in June 2005 and in Mexico in 1997.”
“Then why are you showing this to us?”
“Nobody recognizes the species of frog.” Myron said. “It’s completely new, although it has some relatives in Asia.”
Did this happen for real?

He turned the computer away from them again and hunched over it. A moment later, he said, “Which date?”
And that´s the moment when Myron alarmed the agents. I already had a bad feeling about his guy when I read his reaction to Lois in front of his door.

It took Clark a moment to do the calculations in his head. The first storms appeared off the coast of France almost four hours before he’s arrived in Delaware. The storms had spread rapidly, faster than any storm front should have been able to go. They’d covered the United States in a little more than three hours.
Hmmm... what happened at the coast of France? There must have been the trigger for these storms, but what could it be? Perhaps an accident in a French nuclear power plant?

“I’m an employee of the Federal government,” Myron said. “I have an obligation to help bring fugitives to justice.”
I can hear Agent Randal in this. Fugitives? Justice? Neither Lois nor Clark have done anything to deserve this! mad

“Agent Randal said you wouldn’t be harmed,” Myron said. “He said they just wanted him…”
Yes. To dissect him like a frog? To shoot him first and then ask questions? Good luck with that, Agent Randal! smile1

Allright. When will the screaming start? laugh
I´m very excited to see what will happen now! And when will she realize she is Lois Lane confronted with Superman - with all implications! (You know what I mean...)

Wonderful chapter! Please continue as soon as the boards are back! grovel grovel grovel

#51577 04/24/08 06:18 PM
ShayneT Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
The rains of frogs in Serbia and Mexico actually did occur. Thanks for the comments!

#51578 04/24/08 06:43 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Yet it shouldn’t feel odd. Clark wasn’t even her partner, really, and Myron was simply an ex-boyfriend. This was simply a business deal all the way around.
You just keep telling yourself that, Lois. smile
It was now apparent that the storms were appearing even more and more tightly packed the father east Clark looked, until they combined into one massive super cell off the coast of France.
That doesn't sound good... This problem sounds like it's huge even for Superman.
“How do you know that?” Lois asked as she followed him onto the stairwell.
You're about to find out, Lois. laugh
“I was telling you the truth when I said I wasn’t Superman,” He said. “It just wasn’t the whole truth.”

How like Clark to apologize for not telling her the whole truth.

In retrospect, there was no way Lois could have ever guessed that Clark was also Kal-El from Krypton, since his abilities ought to be physically impossible. Without this kind of demonstration, she never would have believed it.

I can't wait to see how she reacts! hyper There are dozens of little clues that should now come together for her, like what Clark was doing under the plane, how it stopped so quickly, why she couldn't hear engines, how the fishing boat was saved, and how her windows got washed on the outside. Maybe Clark will tell her the whole story.

Another great part! Please don't leave us hanging too long for the next one. grovel

#51579 04/27/08 03:11 PM
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
As promised, here's your real feedback.

Wow! What an ending! The king of cliffhangers strikes again.

Clark had a sneaking feeling that he also fit in that category. Of course, given his history with Lana, that wasn’t much of a surprise.
He’s starting to realize how unhealthy their relationship really was, a sad occasion.

Myron certainly was an intriguing fellow. I kept trying to figure out what his position was. (You know I’m easily distracted.) I figure he’s a liaison between NOAA and the Treasure Dept. if he is able to telecommute. Most of the NOAA fellows are located in one storm center which is nowhere near DC, though the National Weather Services has offices in the podunk town which is closest to every major city in the US. BTW, while as much of the technical equipment as possible is linked together by computer, there is a great deal of tools which cannot be so there isn’t a lot of telecommuting in meteorology.

Whatever he does, two things strike me about Myron. First, he is good at what he does. Second, his relationship with Lois is very strange. He seems over her, but he’s upset that she got over him first. When he called the feds, I think that part of the decision was because he takes his job seriously and part was because he was feeling vindictive toward Lois.

Clark felt a small pang of jealousy. Myron was a fussy little man, but he’d gotten to take Lois out on dates honestly. He’d been able to ask her out to dinner, to dance, to a movie, all secure in his place in the world. He hadn’t been encumbered by endless responsibilities. He hadn’t been out to save the world.

He’d just been able to spend a little time with a beautiful woman.

Just because it had apparently soured didn’t mean that Clark wasn’t jealous of the memories.
He feels trapped by his situation, but he hasn’t realized that he has the freedom to do what he wants to do.

I got confused by the setting toward the end of the part. I thought that the door leading into the stairway was locked, not realizing it was the door to the roof which they couldn’t get through. Therefore, when they leaned against the railing, I didn’t know they were outside. Perhaps if you added a few lines about the weather or scanning the sky for helicopters it might help to clear it up, assuming I’m not the only one who got lost for a moment.

“I’m not going to hold a gun to your head,” Clark said, stepping closer to Lois.

She must have seen something in his eyes because she took first one step backward and then another. A moment later she backed into the railing. She looked behind her and stiffened as she realized just how high in the air she actually was.
This is where I figured out that I missed out on something. Then I got confused from something else. We’re seeing this scene from Clark’s POV, so I couldn’t figure out why Lois was backing away from Clark. Was she suddenly afraid of him? I thought they had moved past that days ago. What did she think he was going to do?

Somehow the thought of leaving her with Agent Randal wasn’t even an option.
That’s good to know.

And he finally trusts her with who he really is. The next part should be interesting, because now Lois finally needs to come to terms with the suspicions she has been unable to face in the past.

Another great part. Thanks for giving us what we’ve been anticipating. You’ve kept the a-plot and the b-plot so well balanced that it makes for a very well-written story.

Elisabeth

#51580 04/30/08 05:13 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
YES, FINALLY! dance

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard