Thanks, once again, to Mary Beth and Beth. Everyone else can be thankful that they got to see this first. Their comments have greatly improved what was originally here.

Lois and Clark started off the day by visiting Samuel Platt’s wife. It was a hard visit. Danielle Platt strongly believed that her husband was murdered. She pressed Lois and Clark to promise to prove that her husband did not commit suicide.

The meeting caused a subdued feeling in both Lois and Clark and afterwards Lois could not seem to work up her usual stream of barbs. As a result, they were both quiet as they watched the news conference where the Congress of Nations announced their intention to move forward with the space program as planned.

Jimmy waited until after the news conference to announce his news. “So I gave STAR Labs Dr. Platt’s report.” Lois and Clark looked at him with interest and so he explained that by using a hologram one of the scientists there had proven Platt’s theory correct.

For a moment, neither Lois nor Clark said anything, comprehending Jimmy’s news. Then it hit them and they both exclaimed at the same time, “Platt was right!” The mood was suddenly jubilant and somehow in the midst of this, Lois ended up in Clark’s arms.

For a moment, neither of them said anything and then they slowly pulled away from each other. However, they seemed reluctant to break contact and so they stood in each other’s arms with just enough space between them to stare into each other’s eyes.

“Why don’t we have dinner?” Clark asked, his voice a whisper.

Lois started to turn him down, but then changed her mind. This was too good a coup to go uncelebrated, even if her only option was Clark. “Okay.” Before Clark could fully comprehend that she had agreed, though, she added, “Wait. I can’t. I have plans tonight.”

She moved out of Clark’s arms and back into the newsroom. Clark followed her, confused. But somehow, his sluggish brain made the connection. “Luthor?” he asked her.

Lois answered in the affirmative and Clark started to challenge her on this. He had a bad feeling about Luthor. But he changed his mind. Lois did not respect him as her equal and really he had done little to change that. He knew she thought him weak for not applying for a staff job at the Planet, but he was at a loss of how to explain it without telling her far more than he wished Lois Lane to know.

So, instead he went for a softer approach. “Postpone your plans with Luthor, Lois. Just for tonight. Let’s celebrate this victory.”

“Look, Clark,” Lois said as they exited the Daily Planet building. “I live by three rules. Never get involved in your stories, never let anyone else get there first, and never sleep with anyone you work with. Cancelling plans with Luthor tonight breaks two of those rules. It gives you hope that something will happen between us, which it won’t, and it gives time for someone else to get the first Luthor interview.”

Before Clark could respond, Lois had turned around and headed off towards Luthor’s waiting limousine.

Clark lay in his bed at the Apollo, thinking about the brief moment in the newsroom earlier today when Lois had been in his arms. She had felt so right there, had fit so perfectly. It filled Clark with a longing he felt helpless to tamp down. It would be easier not to want, because he could not have. While he tried to dismiss his father’s concerns, he knew they were valid. At some point, someone was going to notice him doing something no normal man could do and he would need to leave.

It was foolish to think he would last long enough for Lois to want come with him. It was not clear that she would ever feel anything but disdain for him. But what was the other option? He could stop helping. But how could he stand by and watch someone get hurt when he knew he could help them with no effect on himself at all? It was a dilemma he had been trying to determine his entire adult life, but he had yet to come to any conclusions.

Lois’ dinner with Lex was a bit frustrating. Lois was not kidding when she told Clark that from her perspective her dinner with Lex was purely to get an interview with the man. But Lex clearly had a different agenda in mind. Later, she was annoyed with herself for how easily he had distracted her from her goal. He was charming and debonair and it was hard not to feel a little flattered at the fact that a man like Lex Luthor was interested in her.

“I sense things about you. Possibilities. Potentials. You have the intelligence, spirit, and vision to transcend the mundane,” he had told her. She knew some pop psychiatrist would say that this only meant something to her as they were words she had wanted to hear from her father her entire life, but she did not care. No one had ever seen her this way, the way she secretly hoped she was seen. And so she had thought she was failing and tried harder. But now, Lex Luthor, the third richest man in the entire world, told her she had the ability to be something extraordinary. How could she be anything but flattered?

So, she let him kiss her good night. It was not the right way to end an evening that was supposed to be an interview, but she felt powerless to stop it.

Besides, it was not like anyone else had seemed eager to kiss her in months. For a moment that thought made her stop as she brushed her teeth. Well, except Mr. Greenjeans, himself, Clark Smallville Kent. She sensed his invitation to dinner tonight was not just to celebrate. And Clark was cute, no doubt about it. But he was no Lex Luthor.

“Come on, Lois,” Clark pleaded. Even Jimmy gave her his best puppy dog look.

But Lois would not budge. “You have got to be kidding me,” she said. “You don’t even work here!”

“But,” Clark started, but hearing the whine creeping into his voice he stopped. What was it about this woman that caused him to act like a child? Taking a deep breath, he started again, “Lois, I helped you with the investigation and the writing of the article. I deserve to go to the meeting with Perry to review it.” There. He sounded like an adult now.

Lois shook her head, “No way. You want to be invited to meetings with Perry? Get yourself a real job. Given that you don’t have one now, you should feel free to sit here and wait for us to tell you what he thinks,” she said to Clark. Turning to Jimmy, she added, “Come on,” in an impatient voice.

Jimmy followed Lois, turning to give Clark an apologetic look. But then he could not help but grin a little. Lois was letting him come in to the meeting!

Less than five minutes later, Clark was glad he had not gone in with them. He had watched the meeting from Lois’ desk, blocking out sounds nearby in order to hear Perry’s words. And they were not good. Clark felt himself blushing and hoped the telltale red cheeks would lighten before Lois came back. Basic journalism 101. They were being called on things the average fifth-grader knew about writing a newspaper story. They had no facts to substantiate their claim and their source was a man largely regarded as insane who had recently committed suicide. Just because they believed Platt and suspected he had been murdered did not mean Platt was a reliable witness. Others had a very different view of the man.

Clark had to smile at the look on Lois’ face when she walked out of Perry’s office. Whereas he felt embarrassed at making this rookie mistake, Lois looked angry. “What we need is evidence,” she said as she and Jimmy made their way back to her desk. “Pictures of those…”

“Ion particles,” Clark finished her thought.

Lois looked surprised to see him there. “Right,” she said distractedly. “So, let’s go,” she said to Jimmy.

“Me?” Jimmy asked, surprised at being included.

“I’m no good with a camera,” she said as she grabbed her purse. Clark coughed to cover up his surprise. He did not realize Lois Lane admitted to any weaknesses.

When he followed Lois and Jimmy out of the building, though, Lois turned to look at him. “Where do you think you are going?” she asked.

Clark gaped at her a moment, surprised. Was she planning to leave him out of this? “With you,” he finally said simply.

“Jimmy’s coming to take pictures. What can you do that I can’t do myself and probably better?” she asked.

Clark bristled. Her constant barbs were starting to grow tiresome. “I’m coming, Lois,” he insisted.

Lois looked surprised at this, but then stood up straighter and for a moment Clark had the illusion that he was looking up at her even though he knew he was a good six inches taller than she was. “This is an investigation, Clark. An investigation being conducted by the Daily Planet. And you are not an employee of the Planet, are you?”

Clark took a deep breath. This time she was not going to beat him down. “Yes, Lois, I do work for the Daily Planet. I may not have a staff job, but Perry hired me to help you out with this investigation. So, I’m coming. You can argue, but I didn’t actually ask your permission.”

Lois said nothing, just turned on her heel, but Clark took her silence as a sign that she had respected his standing up to her. Jimmy stared at him in awe before the two men took off jogging to catch up with her. “Wow. I’ve never seen anyone but the Chief speak to Mad Dog Lane that way,” Jimmy said.

Clark smiled. He really should think of staying in Metropolis.

That had not gone well. Clark had no idea how to get them out of this mess without letting Lois in on his secret. The transport shell had been a fake. The original one had been completely destroyed on the left side and the one in the hangar now was in perfect shape. The realization that they were about to bust the case wide open had given them a false sense of security. But then Jimmy had been felled with one whack to the neck and Lois and Clark succumbed to the waving of a gun. The result had all three of them tied together on the floor.

They had been left in that position for the past half hour, and Lois had filled that half hour with random barbs, complaints, and general babble. Clark was starting to get a headache. And to the best of his knowledge, he did not get headaches.

He had broken his padlock open at least ten minutes ago, but could not seem to find a way to get past Lois’ constant rambling to let her know. Finally she took a break in her speech and Clark started to tell her, but then suddenly she spoke again with such sadness to her voice that Clark was forced into silence once more. “Remember when I told you my three rules?” she asked. “I’ve broken every one of them. I seem to always get involved in my stories. And I got involved with a reporter right when I started at the Planet.”

She stopped for a moment, but Clark stayed silent. He could not help but feel flattered that she was opening up to him. “His name was Claude,” she finally continued. “He was French. I was in love with him. Or at least I thought I was. One night I told him about a story I was working on, and the next morning he was gone with my story. He won an award for it. Didn’t even thank me for my input.”

There was another pause, while Clark tried to think of the right thing to say. But it was Lois who spoke next. “I know I act rashly and jump into dangerous situations, like tonight, but it’s the only way I know how to get the job done. To be respected.”

“Lois,” Clark replied softly, “You don’t need to put yourself in danger to get respect. Everyone at the Planet already respects you. Perry told me that you were the best reporter he’s ever worked with.”

“He did?” she asked, her voice full of hope.

“Mmmhmmm,” Clark replied, his voice still soft. “And I know it doesn’t mean anything coming from someone who doesn’t even have a staff job, but I think you’re pretty terrific, too.”

“Clark, I’m sorry,” Lois said, but Baines came back in before she could explain what she was sorry for.

Things happened quickly after that. Baines spilled two chemicals on the ground, promised them the mixture would cause a nifty explosion and raced out of there. Clark got up, ignoring Lois’ questions about how he got free, and grabbing Jimmy and swinging the boy across his shoulder, he reached for Lois’ hand. She started to pull away, but Clark just tightened his grip and pulled her with him.

When the blast occurred, Clark allowed himself to rise slightly off the ground, flying Jimmy and Lois to safety. The blast seemed to have revived Jimmy and he was the one who pointed out the explosion of Baines’ helicopter.

The mood at the Daily Planet the next day was jubilant. Perry even broke out champagne for the occasion. And Clark could not help but feel proud of the headline. Lois got the lead of course, but he and Jimmy were listed as contributing authors. On a front page story of the Daily Planet. For the moment, Clark decided to ignore the fact that this could not last forever and just live in the moment. Carpe diem!

Lois’ mood was soon brought down by Perry’s telling her that she would not be allowed on the habitation module the following day to interview the colonists and Clark wondered if part of her greatness stemmed from the fact that she was always thinking about her next big story.

But while Clark thought there were definitely traits of Lois’ he should emulate to become a better journalist, this was not one of them. He allowed himself to bask in the happiness that this accomplishment gave him and put out of his mind his next story until tomorrow.

Lois cornered him, as he had suspected she would, before he left. “If you ever breathe one word of what I told you yesterday, I’ll deny it and have you begging to do freelance for the Borneo Star or whatever two bit newspaper you worked for before.”

“You can trust me,” he said.

Lois snorted and walked away.

Clark was quiet during dinner. His head was full of thoughts, but he was not sure how to verbalize them. “Mom, Dad,” he finally started.

His parents who had also been uncharacteristically quiet during dinner looked up.

“I think… I think I want to stay in Metropolis,” Clark said.

Martha smiled broadly, “That’s great, Clark.”

“No, it’s not!” Clark insisted, standing up. “It’s not great at all. I can’t stay in anyplace more than a few months, Mom, you know that.”

“That’s not true, Clark,” Jonathan said, his voice soft in an effort to calm his son. “You can stay in one place.”

“I just have to stand by and let others get hurt when I know I can help them,” Clark replied, his voice bitter.

“Clark,” his mother cut in, “If you were to leave Metropolis, those people would still be hurt. I know this is hard for you, but you can’t keep moving from place to place like this.”

Clark sat back down, dejectedly, looking down at the table. “I know,” he said, his voice soft.

Then he stood up and took his plate to the kitchen sink, washing it with super speed. “I’m going back to Metropolis,” he told his parents as he bent to kiss his mother’s cheek. “I’m going to ask Perry White for a job. I’ll figure something out.”

Lois held her breath as she lined up to board the habitation module. So far no one had noticed her. She moved forward and almost laughed in relief when no one stopped her. Moving off from the rest of the colonists she found a small room and strapped herself in for the launch.

Just as the countdown started, she noticed something on the wall. Removing the straps, she moved over to it and within moments recognized it. “It’s a bomb,” she yelled, but the countdown continued heedlessly over the intercom.

She moved over to the door, but it was now locked closed. “It’s a bomb!” she screamed again, but no one heard her.

“Clark,” Perry said in greeting when the boy entered his office. The Planet’s offices were busy for the evening with many of the reporters having stayed to watch the colonist launch.

“Mr. White,” Clark started, but then remembered, “Perry. I was wondering…” Clark floundered, the bravado he had felt at the farm escaping him. “I was hoping…” he started again. “Perry, I’d like a staff job,” he finally said in a rush.

Perry smiled. He had hoped that the front page story would make Clark want to stay. He was a good reporter and Perry suspected that he was good for Lois.

“I was hoping you’d say that,” he said. Then holding out his hand, he smiled, “Welcome to the Daily Planet, son.” The smile that lit up Clark’s face nearly made Perry’s day.

“Chief,” Jimmy called from the newsroom. “Chief, you’ve got to come see this.”

“What is it?” Perry asked as he exited his office, Clark following him.

“Something went wrong with the launch. They decided to scrub it.” Perry and Clark glanced at the television in confusion, oblivious to the sound of excitement in Jimmy’s voice or the noise of an endless stream of messages coming out of the fax machine. “But then this man, he pushed it right up and it went off anyway.”

“What do you mean a man pushed up the habitation module?” Perry asked, laughter in his voice.

“These just came over the wire, Chief,” one of the copy boys told Perry, handing him the pile of faxes.

“This man, he flew,” Jimmy said, but Clark cut him off.

“A man who can fly?” he asked, a strangled quality to his voice.

“Yes,” Jimmy said.

“This is ridiculous,” Perry said glancing through the faxes.

Thinking the comment was directed at him, Jimmy replied, “I saw it on the TV, Chief.”

“Don’t believe everything you see on TV, Jimmy,” Perry said. “Or read in faxes apparently,” he added under his breath.

But just then there was silence in the newsroom aside from their little group. The sudden quiet drew Jimmy, Perry, and Clark’s attention to the window. Lois floated inside, in the arms of a man who was indeed flying.

“Great shades of Elvis,” Perry exclaimed.

Clark reached for a chair, sitting down heavily. The flying man was wearing the crest that was on the blanket he was wrapped in when his parents had found him.