Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#51264 04/15/08 09:15 AM
Saskia Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
I just noticed you still hadn't gotten a fdk folder. So here you go! I could've created one for you at work where I actually read the story... but by then, break time was over. wink

But yeah, a rather sad story, eh? frown Weren't you punishing poor Clark enough in your other stories yet? *g* I like how Alt Clark is trying to comfort Lois, and ends up failing misserably and even making the situation worse. But you gotta feel sorry for the guy!

Also, I'm not sure I fully understand your ending. But the way I read it (or want to read it) is that everyone gets their happy end. laugh Maybe if I read it in the morning, when I'm focused and mostly sorta awake, I'll be able to see your intended meaning.

Saskia smile

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
#51265 04/15/08 01:40 PM
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Not too happy for altClark though.

I believe that he decided to make the ultimate sacrifice for Lois' happiness. He hijacked Wells' machine and took Clark's place just before he was sent into the time stream to be lost... forever.

Lois gets her own Clark back, Clark gets to be with Lois and altClark, who has no Lois and thus nothing to live for, gives up his existence so Lois could be happy. So his pathetic life has meaning.

Everyone wins... sort of.

Tank (who thinks altClark's actions were quite noble... stupid, but noble)

#51266 04/15/08 03:28 PM
Columnist
Columnist
Oh. Wow. Okay, so I read this in completely the wrong way and thought that altClark killed our Clark and then was going to take his place without telling Lois...

Yeah, that'll teach me to try to skim through things. Having read it through a second time after reading the first two comments in this thread, I have no idea how I had gotten it turned around in my head.

So anyway, this was a very sad and powerful story. Thanks, Cat.

#51267 04/15/08 03:38 PM
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
That's how I read it at first too Beth but I thought he'd knocked Clark out just so he wouldn't go to the meeting. It didn't even occur to me that he was going to take his place, but I skimmed it pretty quickly too the first time.

Now that it's clicked... It's touching and so sad frown . At least for Alt Clark. frown

Carol

#51268 04/15/08 03:56 PM
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
<insert big wobbly lip here>

Cat, that's so sad. I've always had a soft spot for Alt-Clark and this made me leak actual, real-life tears. Lois doesn't want him - can I have him?

BJ
mecry

#51269 04/17/08 04:13 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Initially I didn't understand the ending (blame it on sleepless hours of coding) wink The hitting of "our Clark" threw me in for a loop.... I too thought Alt-Clark turned villainous, but then the line about touching Lois through time and space didn't make sense.

After reading the fdk thread it makes perfect sense! (maybe I just don't understand subtlety heh).. ingenuous! thumbsup

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
#51270 04/19/08 08:45 AM
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
It's one thing for a hero to die in the split-second decision of a crisis, knowing that the death of one will save another (or others). This is different, though. He has gone through and decided that his own life is valued less than the other Clarks. If I'm not mistaken, he felt as if his life was worth less because he didn't have a Lois in it. While I can't fault him for his sacrifice, I can't say that I agree with him that his life is worth less. Life inherently has great value attached to it.

Another convuluted and poignant tale you've written, Brucie. You always make the readers cry and think.

Elisabeth

#51271 04/27/08 06:07 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I did understand that altClark was going to do something, as Tank put it, noble - stupid, but noble - so that "our" Lois could have "her" Clark.

So... while Lois and Clark might not ever know what altClark did for them, there's going to be more, right? Where H.G. Wells steps in and fixes things (Maybe he could toss in the evil Lord Kal-El from Long Strange Trip?) or maybe altLois fixes things, or maybe...

Right?

Right?

Definitely a lip-trembler. An extremely well written one, of course.

'Toc

TicAndToc :o)

------

"I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three."
-Elayne Boosler

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard