M
Still reading, still in love...

lisa in the sky with diamonds
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I have almost no time to comment, but wow, that was a tense chapter! So much happened in it. Did Lana die? Why am I so skeptical? Well, in the world of fiction a good baddie never dies, right? Just look at what happened to Lex in the show.

I loved how Lois was able to keep her wits and how she encouraged Clark and made it possible for him to start the fire that saved both of them.

I don't understand how Lana would be able to save a faulty clone, however. I mean, is that possible? If Jory was made flawed, doesn't that mean that he will have to remain flawed? Or maybe that's not true in the world of fiction?

I was going to praise your Snow White avatar, Sonia, when you changed it! Oh well, I like the new one, too. "And then they lived happily ever after"... sounds good. I assume you are talking about Clark and Lois. In your fic, Lana certainly qualifies as some sort of classic Brothers Grimm fairy tale witch. And Lois would be the Princess who is the only one who can save Prince Clark? laugh

[Linked Image]
Lana the witch - note the green kryptonite glow.

And Lois is really a bit like Snow White - she even looks a bit like her, come to think of it - but this time Snow White will have to do the rescuing!

[Linked Image]

Ann

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Okay - so Lana's dead. Is the information needed to help Jory on the PDA?

Lana was EVIL with a capital E-V-I-L. The rest of your family bit... *shudder*. And there's another 'copy' out there... is he? it? done already or was it still 'in process'? And Lex is there!! And about to be stranded by the looks of it! But... does Lois know how to fly a helicopter? Does Clark?

Or is Lex about to find a way to overpower them or something? Another helicopter of bodyguards hovering nearby?

I loved how Lois saved them. Very intense. Lana - the creator of her own demise by opening the door. Smooth Lana.

So, do we get more tomorrow?!?!?

Carol

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I'm at work now and have a few minutes to comment (again). What was that about the one prefect clone who would grow up to be, presumably, Lex Luthor's handyman? One thing that I've really, really appreciated about this fic is how clones are forced to grow to adulthood slowly, so that Jory is still a small child. Please don't ruin that by springing a fully grown, fully programmed evil Superman clone on us now, Sonia!

Ann

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
No, no no - rest assured, Lana is dead. Her reveal about *knowing* how to create a viable clone wasn't necessarily to say that she had already done so. Most of her statement was meant to get Lois and Clark to follow her into the trap. As she told Lois, she needed more of Clark's tissue in order to keep working. I believe had she lived, and had she been able to manipulate Clark at will, Lex would have had his personal Superman (after it grew up wink ).

As for the chopper- there was an earlier subtle reference to Lois having taken flying lessons... so she can fly. I don't know that I would trust her with a commercial airline though!

Ann (and Carol from earlier comments), I love the illustrations! I've been on a fairy tale kick for the past few weeks- hence the new avatar.

Thanks for reading!
~Sonia

October Sands, An Urban Fairy Tale featuring Lois and Clark
"Elastigirl? You married Elastigirl? (sees the kids) And got bizzay!" -- Syndrome, The Incredibles
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
I'm falling apart with exhaustion, but I'll take a moment to comment. After all of the yuckiness in the world that Lana, Lex and Trask pointed out to us, I think the readers deserved some warm, fuzzy Jory time as a bonus.

Elisabeth
who has niggling worries about the evidence that will disappear once Luthor gets his hands on that lab

BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I enjoyed reading both parts 16 and 17. Can't wait for the next installment.

Lana completely creeped me out. I don't really understand how she could hide herself from Clark (when they were outside the bunker) even with lead shielding.

Lana turned back to face him. “Right. So, let’s talk about why you *are* here.” She crossed her arms on her chest. “Let me guess. It’s sick, isn’t it? And you are here to try and save it. How tragically poetic.”
I'm surprised that Lois didn't leap forward and rip out her larynx when she said that. Clark may not love Jory, but Lois has mother-bear feelings for him. I'd be snarling and digging fingernails into eyeballs about now.

When Lois moved to follow, Clark reached out and stopped her with a hand to her arm.

She looked at him questioningly. “What’s wrong?”

Clark frowned in Lana’s direction. “I don’t know.” He looked back at Lois. “She doesn’t… help people.”

Something about the entire situation made him uneasy. It seemed impossible that Lana was the only person in the entire complex – but he sensed no other person inside but the three of them.
OK, I know you said that Lana was dead (and good riddance, I say), but this makes me wonder if there's something else going on that Lana is able to hide from Clark. What's really down those two other hallways?

I could have quoted the entire final conversation between Lana and Lois, but I won't. Let me just say it was great; Lois is my hero. You've created a completely despicable villain in Lana. /me shudders. Have I mentioned that I'm glad she's dead?

“What gives you strength comes from here,” Lois said, placing a hand on his chest. “She expects us to just give up and die, but that’s not who I am.” She gave him a leveling look. “That’s not who you are either. You’ve been laying down too long, Clark. It’s time to fight.”
Gave me chills, that one. On the show, Lois Lane is an amazing woman, even though she was raised in a dysfunctional family. Lois Lane raised in a stable and loving home is a force to be reckoned with and here we get to see her in all her glory. She brilliantly figured out how to get the fire-door to closed, got Clark to start the fire using cellphone batteries and heat-vision (giving MacGyver a run for his money) and then shielded Clark from the blast with her own body. Seeing Lois like this - it's like getting both Clark and Lois rolled into one. smile

He returned his attention to the PDA, picking it up and studying it carefully. “This couldn’t have been what she came back for,” he said.

Lois took it from him and looked at it herself. “I don’t know. It could be where she kept all of her notes.”
I'm a little confused as to what he did with it. Did Clark take the computer with him? I can't imagine that either of them would leave it there, even if there was only the remotest chance that it contained information that could help Jory. I'm hoping that with Lois's family connections, either her father or Bernard will be able to retrieve the necessary information from the PDA to save Jory.

And a bald Lex Luthor, huh? I'm picturing this Lex as some other actor in my mind (not John Shea). I know that in LnC:tNAoS, Lex lost his hair in 'The Phoenix,' but John Shea had such a nice head of hair that I have a hard time visualizing him in this role.

Well done with Part II. I can hardly wait for the rest.

BJ

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard