Features Writer
Well, what do you think?

#51199 04/13/08 12:53 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
It's so great that Lois and Clark are together now. That doesn't mean that they love each other just like that and tell each other everything and do whatever they can to prepare for their future in Clark's world.

So being hugged by Lois Lane felt strange and awkward and wonderful. Clark found himself awkwardly reaching up her back to pat it slightly. It felt good being touched, even for just a moment.
The whole thing is... tentative.

“And there's no Superman?”

“I'd never even heard of him until I arrived here.” Clark felt a small twinge at the truth that was also a lie.

From the sound of it, she was coming to believe that he really was from somewhere else. He didn't have to reveal himself to her to get he help he needed.

Part of him was relieved. It was difficult to change a lifetime of habits in the space of a few days and he'd been trained from the time he was small to hide what he was. Telling someone went against everything he'd ever believed.

If Lana hadn't found out on her own, he wouldn't have told her either. That it had given her control over him was something that had made him even more cautious.

Yet another part of him was disappointed. Being in another universe had given him a new sense of freedom in using his abilities. He'd helped people in large ways and gotten away with it, and it had felt good.
And Clark is still sort of lying to Lois. She doesn't believe in Superman, and he isn't prepared to tell her that he is him, except for the name, uniform and public persona.

Still, the fact that Lois accepts that Clark is from another universe is great progress, indeed.

“Is it a bomb?” he asked.

She shook her head. “It's a GPS tracker.”

At his look of incomprehension she said, “It uses information from satellites to triangulate the car's position and send it to whoever is tracking me.”

She reached under the bumper and quickly began to dismantle it.

“It's illegal for the police to use these without a search warrant, but the fourth amendment doesn't apply to private citizens. I've used these a couple of times.”

Glancing around, she smiled. Standing up she headed for a car across the street.

“What are you doing?” Clark asked as she began to attach the tracker to the underside of the bumper of a sleek and stylish looking Mercedes.

“This is my boss's car,” Lois said.

“Won't he be irritated when the government comes after him?”

“I hope so,” Lois said, grinning as she finished. She stood up.
Hah!! Take that, Pilar!

“There isn't anything we can do about the traffic cameras,” she said, “Except for you to keep your head down. With any luck though, they'll get sloppy and will depend on the GPS. They won't check the cameras until they realize the GPS isn't where it's supposed to be.”
Cameras, cameras everywhere.

Grimacing as she pushed the door open with her hip, Lois scowled at the man behind her. “So you are telling me that you gave most of your money to a homeless guy.”

Of course he had. He wouldn't be Clark Kent if he'd thought to keep a little for himself.
So perfect. Clark's complete generosity, and Lois's resigned frustration at it.

Lois had been kicking herself ever since the impromptu hug. It had been wrong on many levels.
And she regrets the hug. I'm really sorry about that.

The hug would be on camera, and as soon as the people following her realized she wasn't hiding out at Pilar's house, they'd be checking.

They'd make the connection between herself and Clark, a known fugitive, and that would give them the ammunition they needed, not only to use against her, but to use against her sister and the others.
That's true. The hug was dangerous.

“Where did you sleep last night?” she asked Clark, as he closed the door behind him.

“On a roof,” he said.

It certainly explained how he'd been able to get around the agents, but it wasn't acceptable now.

“I can do it again,” he said, noticing her look. “If this makes you uncomfortable.”

A lot of men would have made the offer knowing that there was no way she would accept. Looking at Clark however, Lois had a feeling deep in her gut that he meant it.
She still doesn't believe in his superpowers.

She was tempted. It hadn't been that long ago that she'd been spraying him in the face with pepper spray and attempting to run away from him.

This was someone Lois didn't know well, and although she was used to sleeping in close quarters with soldiers in Iraq, this was different.

This was a room with two beds. For an unmarried man and woman to be staying in the same motel room alone had certain unseemly expectations.

If there was any other way, she'd never have shared a room with him. But the other options weren't good. If he slept in the car, the chances of them being discovered were a lot higher. The roofs here weren't very high, but if someone saw him climbing up one, they'd be sure to call the police.

She hadn't had the cash on her for a deposit for two rooms. As it was, this was straining the cash she had in her purse to its limit.

The truth was, she was going to have to decide to either trust Clark or not.
And she doesn't fully trust him.

He smiled slightly, as though to some sort of private joke. He then turned to close the heavy curtains.

Lois felt herself tensing slightly. They were alone now, and a lifetime of experience was making her skittish.

“Why don't you take a shower first?” Lois said. “I had one this morning.”

It would give her a chance to get settled in and prepared. While she didn't think he would do anything, she couldn't help but be cautious.
In fact, she is still scared of him.

He'd had a strange fishy smell in the car, which was another reason for Lois to let him shower first.
Think, Lois. What did the miraculous rescue you just watched on TV involve? A fishing boat? Fishermen?

“Is it hard, being away from family and friends?” Her voice was quiet and subdued.

“My parents died when I was ten,” he said. “I don't really have any other family. I don't have many friends either…work keeps me pretty busy.”

Lana hadn't approved of the friends he'd tried to keep and most of them had just drifted away after a while.
I'm glad she asked. She is not like Lana.

“You don't have anyone you'd miss?”

“Well, Perry, my editor.” Clark said. “And I have this sort of thing with a girl back home, Lana.”

“Perry White, Lana Lang?” he could hear Lois sitting up in the bed. “I suppose you have a Jimmy Olsen too.”

“James,” Clark said. “He owns the Planet. He's a computer magnate.”

“Does your world have a Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern?”

“Batman is an urban legend,” Clark said. “Nobody believes he really exists. As for the others, I've never heard of them.”

“But you have a Metropolis, a Gotham City…a Smallville.”

“They aren't even on the map here,” Clark sad. “I miss Metropolis as much as I miss anyone.”
I like that she is asking about his world.

“More than you miss Lana?”

“Things weren't exactly great between us before I ended up here,” Clark admitted. In truth he'd stayed with her as much from inertia as anything. He'd been pulling away from her emotionally for years.

“Let me guess,” Lois said, her voice suddenly biting and sarcastic. “She doesn't understand you.”

“”I'm not sure she ever did,” Clark said.

“You know, I actually feel a little reassured by that,” Lois said. “I was starting to think you were too perfect to be true.”

“What?” Clark asked.

“You come in calling yourself Clark Kent and that carries a certain something…expectations I guess. It means you stand for truth and justice and other good things.”

Frowning, Clark said, “What are you talking about?”

“It's a cliché Clark.” Lois said. He could see her silhouette sink back onto the bed. “It's the oldest line in the book. "My wife doesn't understand me.”

“I wasn't…” Clark protested, but by this time he heard the springs again as she rolled over to face away from him.
And suddenly she has found something about him to dislike, something to brand him as a "typical male"... he wasn't a good husband. Maybe not, but you don't know the circumstances, Lois. Of course you can't know about Lana's disapproval of Clark's powers, since he won't tell you about them.

He sighed slightly, then lay staring up at the ceiling.

Making a pass at her was the last thing he wanted to do. Even if he was willing to ignore the last remaining bonds he had with Lana, the truth was, he had nothing to offer her.

In this world he was literally no one. Even Cyrus as a homeless man had a driver's license which allowed him to get benefits. He had no job, no prospects and he was a fugitive.

Furthermore, he was planning to go home if he could, even though he had no idea how that might be arranged. Long distance relationships were hard enough without being separated by the veil between dimensions.

For a relationship to even be possible, one of them would have to sacrifice everything for the other, and Clark was responsible for the lives of everyone on that airplane, including Lois's sister.
A long distance relationship between different dimensions isn't going to be possible. So Lois will have to come with Clark to his world, there is nothing for it.

She was silent for a long period. He almost thought she'd gone to sleep when she spoke again.

“Does your world still have passenger pigeons?”

Too tired to even wonder why she was asking, Clark said, “No.”
Wowzers!!! That's a shock!

I believe it was Marcus who pointed out that there may be a major crack in the larger cosmic structure, which has opened up a connection between more worlds that Lois and Clark's. This appears to be the case, if the passenger pigeons have made their way here from yet another universe. If so, this crack could spread like a fracture in a glass roof, until the whole thing comes crashing down, killing everyone.

Many years agao, I read the most irritating science fiction book I have ever come across, with the exception of part two of Larry Niven's Ringworld. (I could go on a bit about Niven's book, but I won't.) Anyway, this other book, whose title I don't remember, described a situation where the cosmos was literally fracturing, threatening everything and everyone inside it with complete destruction. The hero of the book... now he was the absolutely maddening thing. He started out as a perfectly ordinary guy, but then he discovered that he had an awesome mental talent. He could just project his thoughts on inanimate objects and... make them obey his wishes. If he concentrated on a chair and ordered it to fall over, it would. You could say that he could make his wishes come true.

So this guy started ordering the universe to heal itself... and it did. Just like that. It wasn't even suspenseful. It wasn't as if the hero almost buckled under because of the enormous mental power he had to generate. Nope. He just did it, just thought the universe whole. Sometimes he took a break and enjoyed himself with his two wives. razz razz razz

Well, I don't foresee Clark having two wives, in spite of the fact that he is married to Lana, and in spite of the fact that we probably all want him to be married to Lois. And I sure don't foresee him "thinking" the cosmos whole again. For all of that, he may have to try to come up with some sort of solution to the cracking (or leaking) universe problem. Wowzers!! That is not exactly a minor deal!

At least we know that Clark probably didn't cause the crack or leak between dimensions himself. (At least I think we know that.) And it is also likely that the crack is still there, that it might be growing... and it might be possible for Clark to locate the opening and bring the passengers from his world back to his universe. (Take Lois with you, please!) And then he'll have to come up with a way of closing the opening.)

Now I sincerely hope that Clark will float in his sleep and that Lois will wake up and see him doing it!

Fantastic story-telling, Shayne!

Ann

EDIT: I just found the book I referred to in this post. It was called Time Storm... how appropriate.

#51200 04/13/08 12:59 PM
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
More comments later but I thought Clark was engaged to Lana not married...

C

#51201 04/13/08 01:22 PM
ShayneT Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Maybe even not that much. That was LOIS's metaphor...

#51202 04/13/08 02:48 PM
Kerth
Kerth
Nice chapter, nice to see Lois taking precautions.

Minor nit-pick; while GPS still needed bulky receivers in 1993, the military version was already in use and the idea was pretty well known, having been militarily important in Desert Storm in 1990.

If it exists in the L&C world at all Clark might not know what a GPS locator was by sight, but he ought to know what GPS is.

So the pigeons don't come from the L&C universe - not surprised, but it suggests that time is going seriously haywire.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#51203 04/13/08 02:49 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I love the way you keep taking this in unexpected directions, the way you keep us guessing. It is not at all cliched or predictable, and is a great read. Thank you! notworthy

It's pretty clear that Clark is not going to confess if he can help it, and that Lois is not going to figure it out without lots more evidence than she has now. As someone else rightly pointed out, Clark should be impossible. So my bet now is on Clark using his powers in front of Lois, either floating in his sleep, or escaping from the Feds, or something else like that. You'll probably surprise us on that too, though. wink

Poor Clark is really in bad shape emotionally, as bad as Lois. I think it's going to take a while for them to trust each other.
“Does your world still have passenger pigeons?”

Too tired to even wonder why she was asking, Clark said, “No.”
Uh oh. That doesn't sound like a good thing. I'm guessing that their problems just got bigger than Clark getting home.

#51204 04/13/08 03:17 PM
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Another tantalizing tidbit of story. I, too, like that Lois and Clark are now 'on the run' together.

Even if they still distrust each other, they will be forced by their common cause to 'build' that trust, and I think Lois is in for some shocks in the near future. Don't let Clark's ingrained caution have him hold out too long. It will be a real help if he can operate around Lois fully.

It might also be fun for him to see a few more versions of the Superman/Lois mythos that exists in this universe. Maybe the comics, or a late night showing of the movie "Invasion of the Mole Men" which turned into the pilot for the original George Reeves series.

These tasty little bites of story that you dole out are quite addicting. Looking forward to more. (Before thursday...?)

Tank (who can't help but liken these story instalment to the potato chips from the old Frito Lay commercials... nobody can read just one)

#51205 04/13/08 04:49 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I agree with Debbie, Shayne, the unexpected twists and turns make the story very intriguing. I think it's exciting that Lois and Clark are on the run together, and I even dig the fact that they are somewhat at odds. I think the payoff will be that much greater for their troubles.

I do feel sad for Clark though. He's feeling lonelier by the minute, and the discussion about Metropolis, Gotham, et al. made it hit home even further. Both Lois and Clark have issues with touching - I think that for this reason, even though Lois regrets the hug, it has a deeper meaning to it. Yes, it was as much about the moment as anything else, but I feel the resounding symbolism will be important, if just for us readers wink

Thanks for sharing! I'm really enjoying the ride.
~Sonia

October Sands, An Urban Fairy Tale featuring Lois and Clark
"Elastigirl? You married Elastigirl? (sees the kids) And got bizzay!" -- Syndrome, The Incredibles
#51206 04/14/08 02:14 AM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
I'm with Ann. The bit about the pigeons is very alarming. It means that either the rifts are not only through space but also through time (which would explain the fifteen-year discrepancy between Lois's world and Clark's world), or the rifts are between Lois's world and multiple other worlds.

And if the latter is true, then Ann's reference to the world (if not this entire plane of reality) beginning to fracture might be accurate. And maybe - just maybe - this wasn't the beginning of these transfers. Maybe they've been happening for a while, and "the government" (nice to have a scary faceless villain handy) has been aware of them and is blaming a lot of the disasters on terrorists, when in truth the current social and political climate is the result of the governments of the world trying to keep the truth of these these "leaks" from other worlds from the public. The government is trying to get a handle on the situation, and in the meantime has engendered a pervasive paranoia in the populace to keep the really scary truth from them. They're afraid of world-wide panic and a complete collapse of the world's societies into chaos and mob rule.

If that's the problem, maybe Clark can't do anything about it except take the plane and its passengers back home - along with one jaded and disillusioned and heartbroken CNN reporter. Neat solution? No, but that might be how this one ends.

And it might not. Shayne, this is so very good! I always look for another chapter of Veritas when I sign on to the boards. Keep up the great work!

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#51207 04/14/08 07:46 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Wonderful chapter!

Being touched by others wasn’t something Clark had gotten to experience much of in the years following his parents’ deaths. Foster care was a place meant to provide a safe bed, and it didn’t always do well at providing for other basic needs. Over time he’d forgotten what it had felt like to be comfortable being touched by others.
Unexpected hugs, touches to the arm…these all felt strange and awkward. Lana wasn’t particularly comfortable with public displays of affection, except when she was trying to visibly establish her territory.
Clark had always hated that about her.
How much has been damaged in Clark by foster care and Lana? It´s so sad...

If Lana hadn’t found out on her own, he wouldn’t have told her either. That it had given her control over him was something that had made him even more cautious.
I think Lana would be able to blackmail him if he wants to break up their relationship. Did I ever mention that I hate her for what she has done to him? grumble mad hyper

#51208 04/14/08 10:35 AM
Columnist
Columnist
I'm feeling guilty cause I haven't left feedback in a while, but I'm still enjoying this story very much. I love that Lois and Clark ended up back together.

#51209 04/15/08 03:13 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I am more of the opinion that the 'hole' is still connected to Clark's world, but going backward in time. As long as the 'hole' remains in the air, then the only thing you will need to worry about will be flying reptiles and not even then for a while.

Now, of course, it could move down to land... evil

James.

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
#51210 04/15/08 08:10 AM
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
“You come in calling yourself Clark Kent and that carries a certain something…expectations I guess. It means you stand for truth and justice and other good things.”

Frowning, Clark said, “What are you talking about?”

“It’s a cliché Clark.” Lois said. He could see her silhouette sink back onto the bed. “It’s the oldest line in the book. ‘My wife doesn’t understand me.”

“I wasn’t…” Clark protested, but by this time he heard the springs again as she rolled over to face away from him.

He sighed slightly, then lay staring up at the ceiling.
The sad part is, he really wasn't.

Making a pass at her was the last thing he wanted to do. Even if he was willing to ignore the last remaining bonds he had with Lana, the truth was, he had nothing to offer her.
Perhaps not on his mind. But Lois is certainly thinking this direction.Somewhere, deep down in the part she denies even exists.

And what about the pigeons?

Looking forward to 22, Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
#51211 04/15/08 09:42 AM
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
I have nothing insightful to say, but I'm still leaving feedback to alleviate the guilt of not leaving feedback in Nan's story. I had nothing witty to say there, and I have nothing witty to say here. I'm just reading.

Elisabeth

#51212 04/15/08 05:28 PM
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I enjoyed this part very much, Shayne.

From the sound of it, she was coming to believe that he really was from somewhere else. He didn’t have to reveal himself to her to get he help he needed.
In the end, she'll see the proof in the papers when the phone photo gets published and Clark won't have to convince her or reveal them to her. Knowing Lois, she'll be the one encouraging him to use his powers before long.

He could almost imagine himself drifting out over the city as he had many times during his years of wandering, staring out over the endless plain of people and wondering why he alone was set apart.

“Clark?”

He woke suddenly.
I thought for sure Lois had just caught him floating in his sleep here. Too bad.

Great dialogue in this chapter. I'm eagerly awaiting the next part.
BJ

#51213 04/17/08 11:04 AM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
I am really enjoying this story.
I like the pigeons. and they got me wondering. How many Clarks are out there ? Will our "usual" hero turn up at
some point ?
Can't wait to find out. smile

#51214 04/17/08 03:50 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Loved Lois and Clark's chat. Often in fanfiction, when a particular character (like Clark Kent) is pretty well established, I often forget how some newly-acquainted character might interpret him, and Lois' reaction to Clark's ambiguous attachment to Lana is a perfect example! Great writing as always, thumbsup

Now onto the passenger pigeon mystery... /me shudders

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard