OP Offline
Features Writer
Well, what do you think?

#51116 04/09/08 01:28 PM
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Oh yay! They're back together!!! And she's hugging him!!!

WOOHOO!!!

I understand completely where Lois' bosses etc are coming from but it still stinks. She's right - when would she have had time to do that? On the plane back from Iraq?

Sure. And the picture in Sex Lies and Videotape was real too.

So it probably COULD be faked to an extent, but if they try to take it apart like Jimmy did, they won't be able to because it's real.

More soon please Shayne!
Carol

#51117 04/09/08 01:36 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Yay! Another part smile

Looks like Lois is taking in evidence, and thinking well except she's completely missing one huge point... if everything else like the Daily Planet, Perry White, Metropolis, Gotham, Luthor's pies, and Clark Kent exist, then Superman might very well exist too. And she is armed with the fore-knowledge that CK = Superman.

Ofcourse Clark previously denied being Superman (and he was very careful with his wording so as not to be called a liar), so she does not have all the facts.

Plus, all this is definitely over-whelming, an information overload making Lois long for simpler times.

I think that's the reason that even though she had spotted a human-like figure protruding from the plane in her zoomed-in footage (in an earlier part), she just concluded it was Clark Kent jumping from a moving plane not actually carrying the plane. I wonder if Lois'd realized the truth and shared it, what would Pilar the hussy say ? smile1 thumbsup

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
#51118 04/09/08 01:40 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh, poor Lois! dizzy

And LOL! Clark is in for a surprise when he learns the hard way about cell-phone cameras!! rotflol

SHAYNE!!! I need moooore!! More, please!! More Now!!! wildguy wildguy wildguy

~•~
#51119 04/09/08 03:10 PM
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
Apparently Clark’s world was already sowing the seeds that would lead to the world Lois was currently living in.
I was thinking earlier that C&L would stay in her world, but this makes me wonder if they'll go back to his because they still have time to change it.

The boy was staring at him, and had his cell phone held before him like some sort of shield.

Clark froze for a moment, and then shrugged. Who was going to believe a kid who said he’d seen a man who could fly?

A moment later he was gone, not bothering to look back at the teenager’s expression of glee.
Oh, hell.

After everything she’d done for the network they were letting her go.
Oh, Lois. But I'll bet she'll stop at nothing to prove that she didn't fake that footage.

He was surprised when she turned and hugged him tightly.
Unexpected, but yay!

lisa in the sky with diamonds
#51120 04/09/08 03:54 PM
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
Of course Clark wouldn't know that cell phones did more than just call people. When that picture goes public it could just be Lois' saving grace, particularly if Clark is brave enough to vouch for it.

Sheesh! What a story you're writing for us! I'm on pins and needles at the end of every part.

Elisabeth

#51121 04/09/08 04:16 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Shayne, this is fabulous. I didn't expect Lois to get put on leave, but it's certainly typical of the workplace climate in 2008. As for Clark, I am so proud of him for helping. However, he'll soon find out that the cell phone "shield" has a hidden danger.

I'm so glad that they are finally together. I can hardly wait for the next chapter.

Nice work!

"Women frustrate men because they're too complicated. Men frustrate women because they're not complicated enough."
#51122 04/09/08 04:25 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Now Lois has nothing else to keep her in this world. With this black spot in her resume she won't get another job in the news circle. frown

Time to move to Metropolis and get a job at the Daily Planet! laugh

Please, don't leave us waiting so long for another part! grovel

Andreia

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
#51123 04/09/08 05:07 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Originally posted by Ultra Woman:
Time to move to Metropolis and get a job at the Daily Planet!
Well, there's already a job waiting at the Daily Planet for Lois Lane. It makes sense for Lois to step into alt-Lois's life. Otherwise she'd have a terrible time getting identification and so on. Things were more relaxed back in 1993, but not that relaxed. Lois's family needs to know, but not anyone else. Of course if alt-Lois ever returned from the Congo, things would be very messy...

I must sound like a broken record, but... another great part! I'm not surprised that Lois is too overwhelmed to make the final connection. It can't be too much longer, though, before she either figures it out (her stinky boss just rubbed her nose in the fact that the plane's landing was very odd), or Clark 'fesses up.

More than just a daredevil willing to climb tall buildings and leap off speeding airplanes, he was a fellow reporter.
dance

#51124 04/09/08 07:41 PM
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Delightful! I love Lois getting canned! A great touch that, nothing is more likely to make her believe in Superman.

And the cellphone, oh boy YouTube will have the flying man in next to no time.

Framework4
#51125 04/09/08 07:41 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Another brilliant part!

So Lois's employer would fire her for showing the world a truth that the world's elite does not believe in. Hmmmm. I sure, sure hope that this wouldn't be the case here, in this world that we all live in. But it might, I'm sorry to say.

Then again, Lois does not fully believe in the truth herself (even though she knows that she didn't cheat when she filmed the plane, of course). And you know what, Shayne? A part of me still doesn't blame Lois for not believing in Superman. The problem with Superman is that he is obviously impossible. A hero like Batman is obviously improbable but not obviously impossible. It is only when you start thinking about the logistics involved in being Batman on an almost nightly basis that you realize that he, too, is impossible. But Superman is obviously impossible. A man can fly? Yeah, and according to what scientific theory would that be possible, or, for that matter, according to what part of common sense or human experience would it be possible? It wouldn't. To the very, very best of human understanding, flying is impossible. I don't blame Lois for not believing. So it's time for Clark to give her incontrovertible proof now, Shayne!

And thanks to Debbie for pointing out this little gem:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
More than just a daredevil willing to climb tall buildings and leap off speeding airplanes, he was a fellow reporter.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was just a riot, not only because Lois is so close but still not there, but the echo of "able to leap tall buildings" and "faster than a speeding bullet" was just priceless.
It was priceless, indeed!!! clap

Ann

#51126 04/10/08 02:18 AM
Kerth
Kerth
OK, so YouTube gets another video that everyone critiques for its obvious effects work, bad CGI, etc. Really can't see it making a huge difference. But Clark meeting Lois so openly may be a bad move; she's probably under surveillance.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#51127 04/10/08 02:21 AM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Clark was only "surprised" when Lois turned and hugged him? I would think he'd be completely stunned. And then when she starts crying into his shirt and blubbering like a baby because her entire world has turned on her and bitten her in the heart, he'll have no choice but to take her on a short flight somewhere and tell her all he knows. Maybe they can compare notes and figure out what's really going on.

And the teen with the cellphone camera was a perfect touch. This footage will run on the competing networks, and Pilar will be forced into doing something she doesn't want to do - apologize to Lois. I suspect that there's already some bad feelings between Lois and Pilar, else the boss would have been more sympathetic to the employee. If the first question Pilar asked was "How'd you fake it?" then she's already decided that this is an opportunity to get rid of Lois Lane. I smell office politics burning here.

Another tense chapter, Shayne. You're managing to drop in little bits of humor to moderate the tension, too, like Clark wondering if he'll ever be able to keep his clothes clean. I'm looking forward to the rest of the story. It just keeps getting better and better.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#51128 04/10/08 06:38 AM
S
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
S
Shayne:
She glanced at the paper she’d been given, and then blinked. She stared at the masthead and then flipped to the front of the paper.

Her first impulse was to assume that this was some sort of joke. Even if another universe existed which had cities named things like Metropolis and Gotham, it didn’t necessarily follow that the newspaper had to be named the Daily Planet.

Yet that was the name spread across the top of the paper, and on top of each following page. She flipped through looking for the masthead, which was the list of members of the editorial board.

The masthead described .the Daily Planet as having been founded in 1775. She scanned for familiar names; most of them were unknown to her, although Perry White was apparently managing editor.
Shayne, you deserve to be commended, not just for this story, but for your general skill and dedication as a writer. My wife and I have both noticed that you are almost obsessively thorough in your research, both of situations, and of background. How many people actually know that the term masthead refers both to the logo at the top of each page (and especially the front page) of a news publication, but also to the section containing the business information of the publisher (editorial board, subscription information, etc.)? This does indeed make the title of this story apropos. Very well done.
“Can you tell me what this is?” Pilar asked.

“My footage from the Flight 1013 landing,” Lois said. “You’ve been playing it for the last several days.”

“So why have we had eight different flight engineers and physicists calling to complain about the footage being computer generated?”

Lois blinked. “It’s not computer generated.”

“According to the experts, it takes an airplane that size at least a thousand feet to touch down and another two thousand feet to stop. That’s a minimum, and that kind of stop would likely result in blown out tires and a lot of damage to the aircraft…damage that didn’t show up in the video.”

“They were under the fifty foot mark by the time they reached the fence,” Lois said.

“The experts noted that, but it looks as though the plane made the stop in half the distance it should.” Pilar shook her head. “The laws of physics say that plane didn’t land the way you said it did. Whoever did the computer graphics should have done their homework better.”

“I filmed what I filmed,” Lois said, looking Pilar straight in the eye.

“How did you fake the footage?” Pilar’s voice was quiet, but steely.
I think that those who have posted above are being too hard on Pilar. She is, after all, supposed to be high in the management ranks of CNN, an organization which millions of people all over the world look to for reliable news. Although she may wish to favor Lois over the word of others, the word of eight independent experts well-versed in the laws of physics and aircraft design simply cannot be dismissed. Remember that she knows nothing about the Metropolis, etc. issues involved. Maybe if she is given some hard evidence (like perhaps a visit from someone claiming to be Clark Kent, complete with an impressive and unarguable demonstration of superpowers, together with pointing out the image of the man underneath the plane in the video and an explanation of what he had been doing there), she might change her tune -- if it is done before the case gets to the review board.

Snave

#51129 04/10/08 07:14 AM
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Lois getting axed. Wow. I like our world so much better. With a Superman and the Daily Planet and the Jaws of Death. How do you come up with such dystopian scenarios? clap

But now Lois has her Clark smile

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
#51130 04/10/08 07:46 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
The next chapter! dizzy

I hope you are going to answer these questions (at least some of them, those which don´t come from wrong conclusions...) And I also hope very much that you don´t intend to let me hanging on this cliff for days!

So come back here right now and post the next chapter! grovel grovel grovel

#51131 04/10/08 10:56 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
still reading it
still loving it
still wanting more of it.

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
#51132 04/10/08 04:06 PM
ShayneT Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Wow. Thanks for all the comments! Things like reminders about grainy footage and other little details are sometimes quite helpful for future chapters. Sometimes, of course, I've planned things the way they are since the beginning of the story.

Snave, you mind be interested to note that I found a blog with bits from an actual Daily Planet produced by DC comics back in 1988.

http://www.lcficmbs.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=edit_post;f=1;t=009160;reply_num=000017;u=00000395
http://lastshortbox.blogspot.com/2006_01_01_archive.html

(Anybody else is free to look as well. It's somewhere in the middle of the page.)

Thanks again everyone!

#51133 04/11/08 06:04 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh, I'm spoiled. I just caught up with the last 4 parts, so I got to read them all at once. I must have more! wink

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard